Code of Conduct

Default If you love Patchouli and Rose...

For those of you who love the classic Patchouli/Rose combination (as I do), but want something very direct, simple, and uncluttered by other notes (like vanilla, oud, cedar, etc.), I have an idea for you:

There have been few threads relating to Aveda Patchouli oil (Divatologist being the most outspoken user of it), and having recently tried it I’ll voice my approval also…it’s a very good patchouli if you like the less sweet style…I would describe it as dry, dense, peppery, cool, and herbal, almost piney / foresty, with sort of a “spiky” texture to it, as in, it has a sharp smell, not smooth. There have been comparisons to Villoresi Patchouli and Piper Nigrum combined, and I agree with those comparisons, though leaning more toward the Patchouli end. The patchouli essence is in a carrier oil (coconut), so it can be applied directly to the skin.

So I was in the Aveda store picking up the Patchouli Oil, and they have many other single-note oils lined up right beside it…I noticed they have a Rose Absolute Oil, derived from Rosa damascena, Damask Rose. I think it smells incredible! Green, slightly sour, herbal, fresh, wet…everything I love about roses…I want to eat that smell!

Well I had some Patchouli already on my arm, and I laid down some of the Rose Oil over it to see what would happen….:bounce:…..bingo! I got the straight-up Patchouli / Rose combo I have been searching for forever!

Needless to say, I bought the Rose Absolute Oil also and I blended them at home, and I’m finding that 1 part Patchouli Oil per 2 parts Rose Oil is doing the trick for me…absolutely perfect patchouli / rose blend. This is near perfection for me, Holy Grail material, The One. This is a really mysterious combination…I think I’m even getting some “ghost notes” that are sometimes described by other basenoters when they talk about the traditional combinations that have become models of perfumery…chypre and fougere. I think Patchouli / Rose is one of those magical combinations.

So, if this sounds good to you, give it a shot! The Patchouli and Rose cost $13.00 and $26.00 respectively, and are one once each. I think that’s a great deal for this quality.

(No, I don’t work for Aveda. )
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Default Re: If you love Patchouli and Rose...

I've been meaning to try their patchouli oil. Thanks for the combo suggestion. How long does it last on the skin?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    How long does it last on the skin?
    I'm getting around 5 hours, after which time it mellows out and keeps going as a skin scent, so I guess around eight hours total.
    I applied a pretty generous amount of it too, it's like a moisturizer because of the coconut oil.
    Last edited by arlecchino; 4th June 2009 at 06:37 PM.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Basenotes Institution

Wonderful - thanks for the tip.

What are the sizes of the oils (ml)?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    What are the sizes of the oils (ml)?
    They're each 29.6 ml. I think that's the only size available. They're actually pictured on the web site: http://www.aveda.com/templates/produ...=CATEGORY10582

*Also, each bottle has a control-spout so you can pour easily by the drop or shake out multiple drops.
    Last edited by arlecchino; 4th June 2009 at 07:50 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    They're each 29.6 ml. I think that's the only size available. They're actually pictured on the web site: http://www.aveda.com/templates/produ...=CATEGORY10582

*Also, each bottle has a control-spout so you can pour easily by the drop or shake out multiple drops.
    1 oz for less than $30? That's practically free with today's prices. Wow!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sounds great. I'm going to try it.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Sounds great. I'm going to try it.
    Me too!
    Thanks for sharing this, arlecchino!