Code of Conduct

Default Too many deals "too good to pass on"?

I feel like I spend too much mental energy on resisting the numerous deals that are "too good to pass on."

This is driving me to distraction!

What are you doing to avoid a knee-jerk reaction to snap up a "great deal"?
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Blog Entries

Default Re: Too many deals "too good to pass on"?

Google it for reviews. Check BN, Directory, MUA, OzMoz, Perfume Intelligence & some of the other blogs. That usually calms me down.

It's tough. I'm trying to let some time pass between giving in to too many temptations. It's a slippery slope, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    I feel like I spend too much mental energy on resisting the numerous deals that are "too good to pass on."

This is driving me to distraction!

What are you doing to avoid a knee-jerk reaction to snap up a "great deal"?
    Oh, I just give in .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Dependent

I can most definitely relate... uncovering those hidden stones(which are supposed to be a good thing) dont help either

I bring my husband to the store with me. He loves my many fragrances, but is much more objective about my own desires than I am. If he's not available, I bring a friend who is either very particular, or very frugal.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Google it for reviews. Check BN, Directory, MUA, OzMoz, Perfume Intelligence & some of the other blogs. That usually calms me down.
    Oh my.

This is how I get excited for a fragrance!

The best way to remove temptation is to yield to it. That's my philosophy anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Oh my.

This is how I get excited for a fragrance!
    That's true, sometimes it works the other way. I guess I mean, if I start seeing a lot of differing opinions, it makes me slow down and wait at least until I can sample. This has saved me some money.

Also, I have finally begun to learn what notes I really like & don't like so in conjunction with reviews and shoutouts to friends for their opinions, that helps me go the right direction.

If I just asked my husband, I know for sure what HE would say!

If I just focused on what I know I want and love, I'd still be overwhelmed with options. My only advice for prioritizing is to spend on those items that may not be available later. Ebay rarities, limited edition/discontinueds, and HTFs thus usually receive my attention before a niche scent I'd like but can buy anytime. There are a few FBs I've wanted for ages but never get around to buying.

Blog Entries

Having resisted temptation a number of times and keeping a "watching" list on fleabay, I've seen deals come and go and reappear. So I remind myself that I will probably see a similar good bargain again someday.

I do hate that I passed up the auction for a 425ml dramming bottle of Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle for $107 last week, as I could pay about the same for a 100ml bottle in a department store. But I tell myself the dramming bottles aren't *pretty*.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Yes, the really are. I mean, I keep on discovering masterpieces every day, and yet, to my shame, my perfume shopping is sooooo far behind schedule...

Basenotes Institution

Right now , I've been admiring all the gorgeous vintage perfumes that come and go on Ebay - it's really tempting and so far, I've managed to rein myself in - I've been outbid on a particular piece and in a way I am glad !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Too many deals "too good to pass on"?

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Right now , I've been admiring all the gorgeous vintage perfumes that come and go on Ebay - it's really tempting and so far, I've managed to rein myself in - I've been outbid on a particular piece and in a way I am glad !

MMM...Could it beee... DJEDI!!!!

Basenotes Institution

Kumquat- you saw that too ! No way - out of my price range ! It's beautiful though ! No - I was bidding on the vintage Jicky- someone else can have it! I've spent too much on perfume this month !

Thanks for all the comments. Actually, my stash of samples is helping me to reign in my bottle purchasing. These days I need "50% off retail (preferably more) + free shipping" to even consider any bottle purchase.

Although I've 'accidentally' bid on an item on eBay and I'm still in the lead; don't you hate when that happens -- I swear it was not me who bid on it! Well, even if nobody outbids me it will be a nice fragrance to have (I did sample and quite liked it).
    Last edited by kess; 24th July 2009 at 11:24 PM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Basenotes Institution

Smile Re: Too many deals "too good to pass on"?

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. Actually, my stash of samples is helping me to reign in my bottle purchasing. These days I need "50% off retail (preferably more) + free shipping" to even consider any bottle purchase.

Although I've 'accidentally' bid on an item on eBay and I'm still in the lead; don't you hate when that happens -- I swear it was not me who bid on it! Well, even if nobody outbids me it will be a nice fragrance to have (I did sample and quite liked it).
    Hi Kess. Yeah - I have bid on stuff on ebay only to regret it a couple of hours later.Then I hope I get outbid on it. I normally end up with it though !
    All these summer deals going on plus ebay - so much enabling going on - it's honestly hard to resist though I am trying.

I try and force myself to wait for 3-4 days before I decide to buy. Sometimes I lose interest when forced to wait. If I don't and if i really like it and the deal is pretty good - I get it.

I guess this method doesn't work with soon to end Ebay items but it helps me with other online shopping.

Basenotes Institution

I do the same, Frenchie Day - I normally lose interest in something when I wait too . Ebay can be so tempting sometimes - you have to log off and walk away .

Thinking back, too many good deals have put me in a not too good of a sore financial spot.

I try to remind myself of what I've already just purchased, and I'm getting better at it. Sort of. I fully admit that I'm completely addicted to the thrill of finding a great deal to the point where once I've succumbed to the latest one, it's like I almost forget about it once I've found and set my mind on something else.

Last night, for example, I found this hidden gem of a fragrance discounters in a mall I'd never been to before. I went in not expecting too much when Lo!, the specials wall actually had a great selection. In fact it was full of blind buy potential, and not the usual designer knock-offs suspects. Not only that but testers were supplied and the prices were clearly labelled with the magical price range of $14.99 to $19.99. After painstaking testing and deliberation and reminding myself that I'd already just purchased two items from the BN marketplace, I managed to walk out with only one bottle. Of course that was before I noticed the lone bottle of Jean Patou Moment Supreme and bottles of Fendi Theorema priced below what they would normally fetch on the likes of ebay. I don't know how I managed the restrain myself, but, now I'm obsessing. Must. have. them. now. *sigh*

Ah, Basenotes are detrimental to my will power! Today's 'find': Calypso for $20 including shipping http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=233979 I've considered either Vanille or Amber, but I've not tried either so that is holding me back. I hope this sale ends soon!

I have not been doing a good job with avoiding deals that are too good to pass on. I spent a week in Washington D.C. recently and I did a lot of great sniffing while I was there. I told myself that I could purchase a certain amount of fragrance during my trip, and I had already reached my limit when I found my #1 wishlist fragrance for half price at a wonderful store called Art With Flowers. So, I now own Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company! I just couldn't resist the price for something that I love!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    I have not been doing a good job with avoiding deals that are too good to pass on. I spent a week in Washington D.C. recently and I did a lot of great sniffing while I was there. I told myself that I could purchase a certain amount of fragrance during my trip, and I had already reached my limit when I found my #1 wishlist fragrance for half price at a wonderful store called Art With Flowers. So, I now own Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company! I just couldn't resist the price for something that I love!
    I would've done the same with Sel de Vetiver if I could get it at half the retail

I just got a bottle of Muguet du Bonheur at ~ 23 USD - the paper box was slightly squashed so the shop could not offer it a the regular price
    Now I'm fighting with myself not to buy that 100ml of Bellodgia edt...
    OT - considering Parfum Sacre - which should I go for edt or edp? (there's a 100ml edt at a great price on a Polish auction service).
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Definitely a Comme des Garcons girl.