Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink What's the best horse manure fragrance? (No joke)

What's the best horse manure fragrance? Any suggestions?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: What's the best horse manure fragrance? (No joke)

You, sir, need to wear a pure aoud oil. Very 'barnyard' smelling, if that's your preference.

Check out Oriscent oils or search the oud threads here on BN which are chock full of info on pure aouds which can be quite pricey and are rife with counterfeit products, etc.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Jean Patou's Sirah des Indes. No joke here either.

Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles
    L'Artisan Dzing!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    You, sir, need to wear a pure aoud oil. Very 'barnyard' smelling, if that's your preference.

Check out Oriscent oils or search the oud threads here on BN which are chock full of info on pure aouds which can be quite pricey and are rife with counterfeit products, etc.
    Yep, and if you're going with Oriscent, their "Assam Organic" is one of the most barnyard-smelling (if not the most).

I also second Dzing, but it doesn't come close to some ouds.
    Sales thread here

Dhen Al Oudh.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Ditto.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I absolutely love Attar Bazaar's EGYPTIAN MUSK for its horsey sensibility. Get ready to whinny!
    Last edited by loungeboy; 7th June 2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: To note this is my 1000 post!

I get metallic manure from Dawn Spencer Hurwitz´ Poivre.

Edit: congratulations loungeboy! It is my 400th...
    Last edited by pelle; 7th June 2009 at 09:22 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Minotaure opens with an accord that does smell a bit like a stable.

I'm not recommending it as a "horse manure" scent, but it might be something worth looking into that has a bit of animal woven into an otherwise standard frag structure.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    I get metallic manure from Dawn Spencer Hurwitz´ Poivre.

Edit: congratulations loungeboy! It is my 400th...
    Back at ya Pelle!

Why?

Hubert, are you after something strong? Or do you want a composition which uses these kinds of animalic notes?

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    congratulations loungeboy!
    Yes, congratulations on earning your fifth star loungeboy!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Kouros Cologne Sport has a note in the drydown that reminds me faintly of manure in the country air.

My wife keeps telling me that Yatagan reminds her of the rhino and elephant enclosures at the zoo.
    Would that be close enough for your purposes?
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Dhen Al Oudh.
    I have some too, and it's strong, but after a while it really softens up and gets very pleasant. But what actually does the name specify, Amit? I have seen it advertised also as Dehn-Al-Oudh and long been wondering what that means.
    Last edited by narcus; 8th June 2009 at 09:35 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I have seen it advertised also as Dehn-Al-Oudh and long been wondering what that means.
    It's just an Arabic term for Agarwood oil, so it doesn't really refer to a specific product. The scent may vary due to the origin and processing method.

Thanks, Zilang!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Cuir de Russie parfum
    Jicky parfum
    Dzing
    Bal a Versailles parfum
    Mahora

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    L'Artisan Dzing!

I'm on this band wagon as well

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    My wife keeps telling me that Yatagan reminds her of the rhino and elephant enclosures at the zoo.
    Would that be close enough for your purposes?
    Renato
    lol

Hubert, are you after something strong? Or do you want a composition which uses these kinds of animalic notes?
    I'm looking for a composition, maybe even with some floral notes.

L’essence de Mastenbroek Eau de Polder ~ it's mostly hay and grass but there's definitely some manure in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I have some too, and it's strong, but after a while it really softens up and gets very pleasant. But what actually does the name specify, Amit? I have seen it advertised also as Dehn-Al-Oudh and long been wondering what that means.
    Actually, the literal meaning of Dehn Al Oudh means "Oil of wood". It's the purest form of the said oil which can be used for layering purposes, to add an animalic "kick" to other fragrances. I have a 5+ml bottle of indian Grade A Oudh oil sent by a good friend from the northwest of India.

Some India inspired blends are : Saif Al Hind, Dehn Al Oud Hind Ameeri etc.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Mona Di Orio - Nuit Noir - the opening smells like a sweaty donkey's a**e to me...

Some people love the smell of horse manure. I worked with a pharmacist once who worked with horses on the side. He came to work everyday smelling like horse manure because he was in the stables before work. I personally found it to be unprofessional and revolting. To each their own I suppose.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dzing by L'Artisan is a very organic barnyard hay scent that smells like horses and maybe even elephants have been kept happy there. Muscs Kublai Khan smells like a sweat drenched horse musk fresh from a ride accross the plains. For more barnyard floor and less raw hay go for an Indian Hainan (region) Oud or Assam oud from Oriscent such as Chinese Exclusive or Sweet China. I have a Hainan oud I got from Oriscent about 4 years ago (called Organic Hainan Oud), now discontinued, and it was very barnyard when I got it and it continues to mature with age into a very sweet leather but still animalic oud scent - it is wonderful. Some of the most prized oud oils such as the now long gone Oud Royale from Oriscent do smell very much of the barnyard along with wonderful rich character.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 8th June 2009 at 08:20 PM.

Leonard Pour Homme...

Hillaire

With my un-echoed answer to animalic thread after crotch thread after dung thread, I am starting to wonder if something is terribly wrong with the ass-detector in my nose, or if I am the only person who knows the juice? ?
    I'll say it again:
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit
    (Big, huge, unrivaled, giant heap of animal crap.[very sexy])

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Ditto.
    I agree.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Liz Zorn (Soivohle) Palomino and Sunset Rider are real stinkers. Love Dzing! myself.

SUNSET RIDER: Jasmine from the absolute topped with a bright shot of Red Mandarin and set to a light Sandalwood base, with hints of vanilla and spices. A floral full bodied Jasmine perfume.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Well, I just had to follow thread all the way through and I'm surprised to find a couple of my samples in here. Guess I need to go and sample them again...or do I?
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert View Post
    I'm looking for a composition, maybe even with some floral notes.
    Ok, then here is a more complete list of things I've tried that have enough castoreum that they can evoke "barnyard":

L'Artisan Dzing!
    Despres Bal a Versailles modern EDC, vintage parfum
    Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum
    Lanvin Scandal vintage extrait
    Dana Tabu vintage EDT (black flared bottle)
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan
    Mazzolari Lui
    Miller Harris L'Air de Rien
    Guerlain Shalimar EDP, extrait
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC
    Eau de Hermes
    Profumo.it Castoreum Tincture (and several other compositions by this house)
    Last edited by Asha; 9th June 2009 at 02:59 AM.

No mention of Montale Cuir d'Arabie ?
    -

Oh it´s official. I have read everything.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I am sure aoud oil is probably what you are looking for but I haven't smelled any yet. So in my experience Le Labo Oud 27 gives this animalic vibe that is borferline pleasing, borderline disguasting and that reminds me manure (at its finest admitedly). After about ten minutes it has progressed into something completely satisfying but if you have caught the initial blast, you can still feel how it progressed there from the manure note.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    With my un-echoed answer to animalic thread after crotch thread after dung thread, I am starting to wonder if something is terribly wrong with the ass-detector in my nose, or if I am the only person who knows the juice? ?
    I'll say it again:
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit
    (Big, huge, unrivaled, giant heap of animal crap.[very sexy])
    I have La Nuit by Rabanne as part of my leather exploration.
    Yes, some kind of Animalis-like base (I usually describe it as hairy musk near rear end) actually present here.
    The same effect could be found in Jean-Louis Scherrer original perfume. Or - Vierges et Toreros ELDO.

As for the answer - horse manure I found in Oud 27 by Le Labo.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Thumbs up Re: What's the best horse manure fragrance? (No joke)

Ok, then here is a more complete list of things I've tried that have enough castoreum that they can evoke "barnyard":

L'Artisan Dzing!
    Despres Bal a Versailles modern EDC, vintage parfum
    Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum
    Lanvin Scandal vintage extrait
    Dana Tabu vintage EDT (black flared bottle)
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan
    Mazzolari Lui
    Miller Harris L'Air de Rien
    Guerlain Shalimar EDP, extrait
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC
    Eau de Hermes
    Profumo.it Castoreum Tincture (and several other compositions by this house)
    Thanks a lot for this extensive compilation, asha. And thanks to all the rest of you for your suggestions.

I second Muscs Koublai Khan. The few times I sampled it, I smelled a strong animalic component that immediately reminded me of the smell of horses.

Thumbs up Re: What's the best horse manure fragrance? (No joke)

I saw this review of Aramis 900 where someone thought it smelled like "Poop".

I totally get the "animalic" facet of "Bal a Versailles" (parfum!) ...It's always been one of my very fave scents (even possibly due to this. Which emparts to the scent a wonderful warmth and sensuality !). And pick up the "animalic"/"skanky" notes easily in many other scents too. So I do not believe I am anosmic to it, as such. ..... However, try as I might, (and believe me : I really have tried and tried !) I cannot pick up a single whiff of anything "barnyardy" or "elephantine" in Dzing! - at all - nothing - zero ! ??? ... Am I really the only one here ??? ... The very most I get is a very tiny bit of hay, and even the leather (to my nose) is so suave, as to be more "suede" really. .... So please guys, help me out here ?? ... Where exactly in the "structure" of the scent, am I suppose to be picking this up ? (more at the "top/opening" (?) ,"heart" (?) or perhaps more towards it's "dry down" ?) ... Cos it just makes no sense to me ???
    I really luv Dzing! ... But on me, it's a clean suave cotton candy/suede/vanilla , and that is it !
    I mean, I'm even starting to believe that others are only picking up on these notes, through mostly the "power of suggestion". Due to the fact that it has been advertised as containing "such and such" a "circus" and "elephant" etc. note. ... (And it's just like the case of "The Emperors New Clothes" !)

Sybarite--it has been a while since I sampled Dzing!, but it made a huge impression. There is a stage in the late top to early mid notes that starts to smell green, hebal and a little antiseptic ("Band Aid"). After this, the horse stable smell comes along. I agree it is not terribly dirty--I'm pretty sure that is because the castoreum is synthetic. Once it clicked for me as a leather scent, it seemed less barnyard-like, though. I never did get the cotton candy note I've seen mentioned in reviews.

My votes go to MKK and AA Ajmal Musk Gazelle. And then you have some very good "near cousin" animalics such as Guerlain's Habit Rouge, Mouchoir de Monsieur & Jicky. A then again a good "leather" might even give a good, and safer, barnyard association. I'd give Montale's Aoud Cuir d' Arabie a try. MPG's Parfum d'Habit is also worth looking into.

Sybarite -it has been a while since I sampled Dzing!, but it made a huge impression. There is a stage in the late top to early mid notes that starts to smell green, hebal and a little antiseptic ("Band Aid"). After this, the horse stable smell comes along. I agree it is not terribly dirty--I'm pretty sure that is because the castoreum is synthetic. Once it clicked for me as a leather scent, it seemed less barnyard-like, though. I never did get the cotton candy note I've seen mentioned in reviews.
    Thanks so much Asha - I will certainly give it another try, now that I know kinda exactly where to expect it. Maybe that is what has happened to me too, now that I can pick up on all the leather, I'm also not picking up on anything else ??? ... That "cotton candy" note I pick up right at the start, and it's kinda what lends the whole frag it's sweetness for me. But it also dissapears the moment the suede kicks in (and then a little hay, as I said, and the vanilla at the end. But mostly it's just like a new pair of suede shoes to my nose !

Dzing

...I am very surprised that nobody said Équipage: a smell directly from the horse stable(with Arabian thoroughbreds off course!)!

+1 Dzing!
    +1 Oud 27
    +1 Oud Cuir d'Arabie

Surprised no one has mentioned Davidoff Zino.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Were fragrances even made for that idea.......

Montale Original Aoud

I've got a neat decant of Al Haramain's Ambergris oil which smells very much like a freshly muck spread field. It's very rural and farm smelling.

+1 on l'Artisan Dzing! It doesn't necessarily smell like horse manure, but I do get a very barnyard/petting zoo type vibe.

Kouros for sure!!!
    Gary

Dzingh

The most obvious one I'm surprised no one has mentioned:

The BodyShop Amber Oud sold in Abu Dhabi and apparently in England now as well. It is really cheap, so if there is oud in there, you know it's got to be shit quality. Super barnyardy in the opening... Surprisingly, it actually smells really good in the dry down.

Another vote for Dzing! It totally reminds me of a horse stable.

What about Zafar?

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Miller Harris L´Air de Rien
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread