Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Daphne by Comme des Garcons + Daphne Guinness

Finally! Comme des Garcons has released more information about their new scent, Daphne - a collaboration with Daphne Guinness (heiress to the Guinness family).

$140 for 50 ml - coming in September. Notes are: bitter orange, incense, saffron, rose centifolia, Tunisian jasmine, tuberose, iris, patchouli, oud, amber and vanilla. Perfumer is Antoine Lie (who also did 8 88 by CdG and Secretions Magnifiques by ELDO to name a few...)

Thanks to Now Smell This for the information.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 9th June 2009 at 12:51 AM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Daphne by Comme des Garcons + Daphne Guiness

It has almost all the notes I like, either it's my HG or I'll think it's too much. Anxious to try this one though, really anxious.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Blog Entries

Wow - this could go so many ways... Saffron, oud, iris, and tuberose have all ruined frags for me, so I'm kind of scared, but they could easily pull it off a note list this tricky, too.

Saffron + oud + iris + tuberose = armpit + bandaids + powder + overly-strong old lady flowers???

It'll either be dense and brilliant or just weird.

Or maybe it'll smell like beer!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Institution

Sounds interesting Mike !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 8th June 2009 at 11:41 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Daphne by Comme des Garcons + Daphne Guinness

Clinique called. They want their art direction back.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for the scoop, Mike!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

These are some of my favourite notes too, though whether they will all work together remains to be seen. I am quietly hopeful of this one!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I have never said this before but Id buy it alone for the Daphne Guiness association , I love CDG at the best of times but she is an amazing beauty

Thank god it doesn't smell like Ale! Actually, the list of ingredients sound like a 1930s oriental, plus the oud, of course. Count me in as interested. Mike, you should take the moniker, Mr. Commes des Garcons.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st July 2009 at 11:45 PM.

Basenotes Institution

More information about the scent at the NYT The Moment blog here. Seems as if it is going to be a limited edition - $140 on September 18th. Hmm...

So anyone get a chance to smell this? I'm so interested!

Basenotes Institution

No ! Not a limited edition !
    Thanks for the link Mike. Yes Daphne Guinness is beautiful too. But I am sad this is a limited edition.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yes this is a limited edition of only 500 bottles worldwide!

Has anyone tried this yet?

I find it absolutely brilliant, and love it.
    It requires a very deft, delicate hand, but is distinctly glorious, for me !

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    I find it absolutely brilliant, and love it.
    It requires a very deft, delicate hand, but is distinctly glorious, for me !
    Thanks chayaruchama!

I sniffed it at a Barney's, and I made a point of sniffing it with a fresh nose before I went on to ten thousand other things, and I didn't Get it. At all. I didn't like it, I didn't dislike it, I had so much trouble processing it that I can't even recall what it smelled like.

I was pleased that the oud didn't repel me, as it usually does, but other than that it seems to be, for me, one of those fragrances where I'll have to follow it through the development at least twice before I can even tell if I like it or not. And given that LuckyScent doesn't seem to have samples, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

This is not an easy one, by any means.
    It grew on me , though- just barely spray, it's parfum strength.

The drydown is truly a mystery and soft beyond imagining- unlike the trumpet fanfare of the opening.

I was surprised, but I needn't have been...
    Angela of NST and I rarely disagree ; funny, that.
    [And she is one of the dearest,least pretentious folk EVER ! A real peach ]

This is not an easy one, by any means.
    It grew on me , though- just barely spray, it's parfum strength.

The drydown is truly a mystery and soft beyond imagining- unlike the trumpet fanfare of the opening.

I was surprised, but I needn't have been...
    Angela of NST and I rarely disagree ; funny, that.
    [And she is one of the dearest,least pretentious folk EVER ! A real peach ]

Chaya,
    I love Angela too! Her reviews are pure delight. Her perfume taste and mine overlap about half the time. My taste seems to overlap even less with yours. I assume that this is all due to my lack of sophistication! On the other hand, what would this world be if we were all the same?

I am going to try Daphne at least one more time, and apply very lightly as you suggest. My first trial resulted in moderate disappointment. To my nose, the combo of light powder, white flowers and incense is dissonant, and the overall effect is too sweet. It IS interesting, though, and I LIKE interesting.

Oh, Haunani...I'm just a 'perfume ho', I probably love nearly everything YOU do ;-)
    [Many say that I can wear just about anything pretty well... is that good or bad ? ! ]

You are SO lucky to live geographically closer to Angie than I do...
    We met up in NYC, 6 months ago, with two of my dearest friends, and had the best day.
    She is so easy to be with, so unaffected and warm.

Give Daphne a second go...
    If you can deca*t it into a small vial, and DAB, it will fare better.But it just may be too sweet for you.
    [Believe me, I really didn't expect to like it- the folks at Barney's won't touch it w/ a stick !]

Oh, Haunani...I'm just a 'perfume ho', I probably love nearly everything YOU do ;-)
    [Many say that I can wear just about anything pretty well... is that good or bad ? ! ]

You are SO lucky to live geographically closer to Angie than I do...
    We met up in NYC, 6 months ago, with two of my dearest friends, and had the best day.
    She is so easy to be with, so unaffected and warm.

Give Daphne a second go...
    If you can deca*t it into a small vial, and DAB, it will fare better.But it just may be too sweet for you.
    [Believe me, I really didn't expect to like it- the folks at Barney's won't touch it w/ a stick !]
    You are lucky to be able to wear so many things! And to have met Angela in person! I just have a little dabbing sample of Daphne, and I will try it again. Ya never know!

I tried it when Luckyscent briefly had samples, and it could be my HG. There is a Luckyscent box in my husband's office, waiting for my birthday next week.

I've already warned him that Hanukkah might be about Bottle of Daphne #2. And then I will go on a campaign to make this a permanently available scent.

Good on you, dewey !
    I surely hope that box is it...;-)