Code of Conduct

Default Question about "white florals"

So, when people talk about 'white florals', which florals are included? I assume jasmine, gardenia, orange blossom and tuberose. What about lily of the valley? Any others?

Please educate me!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Default Re: Question about "white florals"

I would include Osmanthus.

I have a big bag of dried Taiwanese osmanthus I add to oolong tea... wonderful stuff.

Basenotes Institution

Yes kess, those flowers you listed are what most of us mean, when we speak about white florals.

I think I personally use the term to describe indolic florals - not necessarily a flower that is white in color.

I would think lemon tree blossoms might also be added to this category, does anyone disagree?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I would include lily also.

thanks for the comments.

i'll go with mikeperez' explanation on 'indolic' flowers -- I seem to associate "white flowers" with heady scents.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Iris?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Iris?
    I don't think so.

Iris has such a different quality to it than those others mentioned above.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Aren't Iris scents are usually based on the scent of the dried and aged rhisome and not the flower? .
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I was looking in wikipedia for the term "indole" and I found some interesting information:

"Indole is an aromatic heterocyclic organic compound (...) Indole is a solid at room temperature. Indole can be produced by bacteria as a degradation product of the amino acid tryptophan. It occurs naturally in human feces and has an intense fecal odor. At very low concentrations, however, it has a flowery smell, and is a constituent of many flower scents (such as orange blossoms) and perfumes. It also occurs in coal tar.

(...) Natural jasmine oil, used in the perfume industry, contains around 2.5% of indole. Since 1 kilogram of the natural oil requires processing several million jasmine blossoms and costs around $10,000, indole (among other things) is used in the manufacture of synthetic jasmine oil (which costs around $10/kg)."

Yes, orange blossoms, gardenias, and tuberose are also indolic flowers and depending on the concentration, can lend voluptuous and sultry notes to a perfume.

But what about champaca flower, neroli, magnolia, ylang ylang or lotus?

I found some answers here too:
    http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1006511.html
    See on the right the column "Natural occurrence in" :
    bergamot oil @ 0.000-0.009%
    dried bonito
    butter
    champaca absolute @ 2.90%
    champaca concrete @ 4.00%
    roasted coffee
    couroupita guianensis aubl. flower oil brazil @ 0.20%
    egg
    fish
    jasmin
    jasmin absolute concrete egypt @ 3.84%
    jasmin absolute concrete india @ 1.07-1.85%
    jasmin absolute concrete italy @ 1.39%
    jasmin oil italy @ 4.21%
    jonquil
    lecythis usitata miers. var. paraensis (ducke) r. kunth. flower oil brazil @ 0.40%
    malt
    mikan peel oil @ trace%
    narcissus absolute @ 1.51%
    narcissus absolute @ 6.30%
    neroli
    neroli oil CO2 extract @ 0.45%
    olive oil
    orangeflower absolute morocco @ 2.6-9.9%
    orangeflower water absolute @ 0.0-3.2%
    petitgrain combava oil @ trace%
    robinia pseudacacia
    rum
    tea
    thyme oil wild or creeping france @ 0.09%
    burley tobacco
    wallflower
    wine
    ylang ylang oil CO2 extract @ 0.13%
    Last edited by anais; 15th June 2009 at 03:58 AM.
    ~ Anais ~

Thanks Mike & Surreallity - Iris an interesting one for me . . . still getting my head around it. Reason I asked is because I have Bois d'Hiris (TDC) and these is a quality there that I also get from Carnal Flower . . . maybe it's the raw non-perfumey 'dampness' or something, but fascinating - I'm new to florals altogether, frankly.

Blog Entries

Great list senZuality! Narcissus hadn't occurred to me, but I think I get that. Unfortunately, they are long finished blooming for the year here, but I hope to remember to check them for an indolic quality when they come back up at the end of next winter.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Aren't Iris scents are usually based on the scent of the dried and aged rhisome and not the flower? .
    Iris scent is from the rhizome, and it could be from the old method of expression or a more recent method of infusion (thus explaining the glut of new iris perfumes in 2008).

The scent from the rhizome (orris root) is really very different from the scent of iris flowers though, isn't it?