Code of Conduct

Default Escada Magnetism: Initial Impressions

Vanilla Coke. Mmm, I do love it. And I do love this opening, which is quite reminiscent of it. Quickly though it changes and there is this beautiful pink pepper note (the schinus [pink pepper = schinus molle] note listed). It tickles the nose the way sniffing a carbonated beverage might but it adds depth alongside the bite, and makes the opening more captivating than if they'd simply gone for a more straightforward effervescence.

The pink pepper is joined by an aroma that is something like grape. I think it might be some kind of jasmine isolate combined with a rather pronounced note of tolu balsam (I'm proud of myself, I picked up that note clearly before even checking the pyramid ). Tolu balsam smells almost like a mix of caramel and vanilla. The grape note itself is thin but sits on this luscious tolu heart, with the pink pepper slowly fading to a whisper and then disappearing. The opening and the heart are very sexy without being ostentatious like A*Men or Le Male.

Further into the base and what do I smell but.. a hint of Minotaure? Can this be? A quick foray over to fragrantica shows that Michel Almairac was the nose behind both scents. The base of Magnetism is quite like the middle and later stage of Minotaure.. the stage in Minotaure once the leather has kicked in. There is that same fatty texture (almost like an aldehyde but it's too late in the development for that.. perhaps a lily of the valley note?) and the combination of notes present calls to mind lavender, too. Does anyone else detect the link between Minotaure and Magnetism? To my nose their bases share a lot in common, although Minotaure has a more citrus presence and Magnetism that slightly grapey odor (which fades more and more with time). If you are a fan of Minotaure's latter stages and are looking for something more playful and sexy, definitely give Magnetism a sniff!

For those unfamiliar with Minotaure I'd say the basenotes in Magnetism are warm and inviting - a hint of sweet lavender (well, it smells like lavender absolute, at least - this is far sweeter than normal jasmine without any of the herbal bite), caramel, some non-indolic jasmine, all presented with the 'fatty texture' of many florals and aldehydes (I hope you know what I mean, I don't know how else to explain it). There is a hint of something like tobacco present, too. Just a hint. The basenotes are more masculine than feminine. I actually don't find the top notes so feminine, either - the most feminine stage is an hour or two in the heart when the the pink pepper has faded and the tolu/grape/jasmine combo are dominant, before the woods/tobacco/leather of the base make their presence known.

If you really like the topnotes of this scent, check out (yes, I"m plugging it again, but it's the only scent with somewhat similar topnotes that I've smelled) MPG's Bois de Turquie. That's kind of a cola/cream soda like opening - without the grapey notes and with bay laurel acting as the spice note instead of pink pepper. The heart and basenotes are quite different than Magnetism but the overall feel and progression is somewhat similar.

If you like the latter heart notes and base notes of Magnetism and think they'd be good with a citrus/coriander/geranium/lavender heart, check out Minotaure.

Longevity and sillage are both above-average to excellent.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 10th June 2009 at 03:47 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Escada Magnetism: Initial Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    If you like the latter heart notes and base notes of Magnetism and think they'd be good with a citrus/coriander/geranium/lavender heart, check out Minotaure.
    then you would also like Diesel Zero Plus...

Thnx for the review Sculps
    Last edited by jenson; 10th June 2009 at 09:26 AM.

Magnetism intrigued me when I sniffed it and I've been thinking to get it. It's just that I'm not sure if it'll be suitable for me to wear outside.

Wearing it alongside Bois de Turquie I find more similarities than I thought. The openings are similar as mentioned, but BdT stays lighter and stays sparklier for longer, while Magnetism quickly takes on a fatty aldehydic "thick" texture that remains throughout its development. There are also parallels with the grape and leather notes in Magnetism and the orris and jasmine notes in BdT.

BdT smells comparitively 'thinner' (partly due to its dryer texture) and cooler, as it never 'warms up' like Magnetism. The strength and projection of Magnetism is far greater, although BdT does smell more natural. Both frags are quite sweet.

BdT is easier as a casual wear as it is more refined and introspective while Magnetism is exuberant and extroverted.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

My friends and I have decided Vanilla Coke, my personal favorite coke, is the soda for those who appreciate the finer qualities of flavor and whatnot, so I'm gonna have to try Magnetism!
    If Polge had replaced Chanel Allure Homme "Sport" with "Fraiche", Basenotes would be all over it.

It's a fun and sexy fragrance. As long as you don't expect it to be something it's not I think you'll like it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I've always been a fan of this, nice review SoS. Magnetism really is a great poster child for what synthetics are capable of - it doesnt smell natural, but it does smell great without being chemically. I've found that Magnetism is a great scent for going out - especially somewhere you want to be seen as playful, like a party or a club. For day wear, its a little eccentric but also works.

Escada Magnetism for Men casts a mesmerizing gauzy aura with its light but resinous pepper note against a backdrop of wood and balsamic notes and amber. A very, very sensual fragrance that understands and draws on a certain sensuality of classic women's perfumery of the past, unapologetically. Think nylon stockings; think 1930s/1940s Barbara Stanwyck; think Film Noir; think quality women's undergarments that smell faintly of cigarette smoke and perfume; think big 1940s disheveled hair; think of the perfumed inside of a women's purse; think of those myriad women who breezed past you when you were only a child and intoxicated and exhilarated you with their mesmerizing perfumes not because they necessarily smelled good, but simply because they smelled intense and awakened in you the possibilities of the fragrant sensual life.

It's not for the faint of heart; it's not for those who when it comes to wearing fragrances like their gender categories clear and demarcated. It's a quintessential and unapologetically erotic fragrance.

With the review that heads this thread, I would venture that SculptureofSoul is easily one of Basenotes' best and most informative reviewers.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 10th June 2009 at 03:33 PM.

Yup, a beautiful use of synthetics here. This is so much more original than the "usual suspects" when it comes to the "lady-killers." (Ok, I'm done with quotes in this post, I promise! )

I'm debating picking this up. If I do I'll probably get rid of Minotaure as they so much DNA and I've got other orangey scents that I tend to reach for more than Minotaure. I've got nothing like the first half of Magnetism.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 10th June 2009 at 03:29 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

It drys down almost similar to Amor Amor for women. I do like it every times I wear it, the longevity and especially the sillage of this one is really really remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Escada Magnetism for Men casts a mesmerizing gauzy aura with its light but resinous pepper note against a backdrop of wood and balsamic notes and amber. A very, very sensual fragrance that understands and draws on a certain sensuality of classic women's perfumery of the past unapologetically. Think nylon stockings, think 1930s/1940s Barbara Stanwyck, think Film Noir, think quality women's undergarments that smell faintly of cigarette smoke and perfume, think big 1940s disheveled hair, think of the perfumed inside of a women's purse, think of those myriad women who breezed past you when you were only a child and intoxicated and exhilarated you with their mesmerizing perfumes not because they necessarily smelled good, but simply because they smelled intense and awakened in you the possibilities of the fragrant sensual life.

It's not for the faint of heart; it's not for those who when it comes to wearing fragrances like their gender categories clear and demarcated. It's a quintessential and unapologetically erotic fragrance.

With the review that heads this thread, I would venture that SculptureofSoul is easily one of Basenotes' best and most informative reviewers.

scentemental

Very well said Scentemental. That fatty texture - the same present when you sniff a lilac or jasmine or lily - seems to contribute considerably to its sex appeal (the alternative would leave you with something like a thin and hard grape jolly rancher) and also the primary factor evoking memories of women and makeup. It's been too long since I sniffed Dior Homme, but based on the numerous accusations of it smelling like lipstick or makeup, I'm going to assume it shares that same texture?

Regarding my review..I appreciate the praise (and it is high praise coming from you) but I'm not sure this review warrants it. I've been in a creative rut lately and my words reflect that. At least it feels that way. Anyhow, I'll continue on trying to - as objectively as possible - relate my impressions of the rest of my samples and recent acquisitions.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 10th June 2009 at 03:40 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

It`s a "crazy" fragrance! one of a kind. For young people. I like it becouse it`s so unique, but i wouldn`t dare wearing it!

I remember when it first launched, there was certainly a dichotomy of fans/haters here. It's been several years now, and I still find it to be one of the more original releases in quite some time. It does start out a bit "feminine", but it also has an aura about it that, as others have said, is quite sensual. Aside from that, I'm a sucker for saffron in fragrances.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Magnetism is a very edgy fragrance. Its physical proof that people who say designer/mainstream fragrances are boring are dead wrong.

I am still working on my sample. For me, it is better from afar, and not close up. Very well made, as it projects and lasts very well. This will be one of my first reviews I submit.

Thanks for the review SoS.

Sometimes I wish it was stronger. It is rich/full but without any potentially nauseating qualities, and without any cliches or generic aspects. Escada Collection is also a great one.

It's love sometimes then hate most times for me.

Vanilla Coke? I don't get that accord. Maybe Tab...Interesting, I'll have to explore that. Love Magnetism though.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Escada Magnetism for Men casts a mesmerizing gauzy aura with its light but resinous pepper note against a backdrop of wood and balsamic notes and amber. A very, very sensual fragrance that understands and draws on a certain sensuality of classic women's perfumery of the past, unapologetically. Think nylon stockings; think 1930s/1940s Barbara Stanwyck; think Film Noir; think quality women's undergarments that smell faintly of cigarette smoke and perfume; think big 1940s disheveled hair; think of the perfumed inside of a women's purse; think of those myriad women who breezed past you when you were only a child and intoxicated and exhilarated you with their mesmerizing perfumes not because they necessarily smelled good, but simply because they smelled intense and awakened in you the possibilities of the fragrant sensual life.

scentemental

Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    It's love sometimes then hate most times for me.
    Agreed, except that it never really was love between Magnetism and me. To me it smelled plain awful -- synthetic -- with nary a shred of sexuality, humane or otherwise.

I gave away my bottle which I had received in a swap to a friend of mine.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I have heard here before that Diesel Zero Plus and Magnetism smell very similar. Is this true ? Anyone ? ... I have noticed "Jenson" above, has also mentioned - "if you like one you might like the other". ... But is this because they are similar in scent ? (or more in "feel" ?) ... As I quite like the sound of Magnetism, but I really couldn't stomach it, if it was too similar to Diesel Zero Plus (Half a bottle of that was way more than enough for me, thank you very much !) And they don't really seem to share many notes ??? ... I quite like the idea of vanilla/coke (I think). It certainly intrigues me !
    Thanks for the review SoS !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th June 2009 at 05:31 AM.

I can't comment on the similarities to Diesel Zero Plus, although I think I recall Jenson's review stating it was primarily in the basenotes where they shared a similarity.

I do agree that Magnetism has a bit of a synthetic feel, although I think a judicious application of just a spray or two to the middle of the chest or lower would help alleviate that problem (spraying the neck with this frag is not advised!)

The main thing putting me off of this frag is its ridiculous longevity. I honestly don't like my frags to last this long. Sadly, a lot of my favorites do (M7, Fleur du Male, Royal Aoud, etc).

I do think this frag is wholly unique and should be spoken of alongside L'Anarchiste, M7, Kouros, Dior Homme and others as a "must try" fragrance.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I liked the tobaccoesque drydown but could no longer tolerate the cola opening and grape midnotes so this one hit the road. I do not get any hints of Minotaure in it. Further, I find Minotaure a much fuller and realized frag. .
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Magnetism may be a good reference frag. If you like well-constructed and unique "designer" frags, this is a must try. I don't get any "grape" as I often do with Dunhill Desire and Samba Sexy for men, for example (nor do I get any tobacco). Instead, there is a richness/fullness that smells natural but doesn't smell of anything you know, though I can understand how some can smell a cola quality. I get a sense of something powdery, but then the full powder effect never materializes, as it does in other frags (orris dominant ones especially). And it does generate that "swirly" quality that I call three dimensional dynamism, without any "sharp" edges, which are the qualities I seek most in a frag.

I don't get a sense of something powdery so much as thick and creamy. Well, not even creamy.. more like the olfactory texture equivalent of butter, rather than say, yogurt.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I said it never does get to "powdery," but I'll go with "frothing" if I have to choose a word. LOL.

Well for me ... just the mention of M7 .... "creamy" .... "vanilla" ... and especially "Tolu Balsam" which I am just mad for. Is more than enough to place it on my sample list ! ... So thanx ! ... (I will try ignore the Diesel ZP side of it). Though to be fair, I did not mind it too much, on it's very first few sprays. ... But then, I don't know what happened exactly, it just got tooo much too quickly. I was like overdozing on cinnamon. In fact I have not been able to appreciate cinnamon in anything else since. (And I used to luv cinnamon ).

No cinnamon here. Not to my nose.

Just don't overapply this. I did two sprays, one to mid chest and one to my abdomen, along with one spray to the wrist which I then applied to the other wrist. This was *plenty*!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I hear about this one a LOT and it sounds quite intriguing! Now I have 17 on my try list

Yes , and I quite like this concept of it's "fizzyness" too .... that really intrigues me ! ... I want to see ("smell"?) how they have achieved that exactly ??? .......
    (And I quite like the colour of the glass too ... though I am not too sure about the design. It looks kinda like modern-dated , if that makes any sense ??? But then again, I have never actually held it in my hands. I may change my mind once I feel it ??? )

No cinnamon here. Not to my nose.
    No, the cinnamon overdose was in the Diesel ZP ! ... (Tons of it !)

Actually, now that I think about it I find Magnetism quite similar to Versace Man with Man being the superior frag. The saffron/spice comes off much better and does not take the 'grape' shape that Magnetism does. Also, the tobacco in the basenotes is fuller and more apparent.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Actually, now that I think about it I find Magnetism quite similar to Versace Man with Man being the superior frag. The saffron/spice comes off much better and does not take the 'grape' shape that Magnetism does. Also, the tobacco in the basenotes is fuller and more apparent.
    BINGO!!! It smells nothing like Zero plus but almost identical to Versace Man. I remember one thread about if you have x that you don't need z i think i made that comparison.

if not in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    BINGO!!! It smells nothing like Zero plus but almost identical to Versace Man. I remember one thread about if you have x that you don't need z i think i made that comparison.
    if not in another thread.

one other reviewer in the reviews section mentions the Zero Plus Connection...so i'm glad im not the only one hallucinating

i used ot own both Magnetism and Zero Plus at one point in time...i just cannot miss Zero Plus accords...i find it repulsive..or lets say, not to my taste.

p.s. i havent got a chance to test Versace Man.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    one other reviewer in the reviews section mentions the Zero Plus Connection...so i'm glad im not the only one hallucinating

i used ot own both Magnetism and Zero Plus at one point in time...i just cannot miss Zero Plus accords...i find it repulsive..or lets say, not to my taste.

p.s. i havent got a chance to test Versace Man.
    I didn't mean any harm :@) i should have said to my nose. Because it is rude to tell a person what they smell.

Alright, so I got the vanilla coke resemblance in the top notes, but this scent is honestly making me nauseous. My mother's opinion was "like the way your house smells if you clean it really good, its not a bad smell, just not a wearable cologne".

To my nose, it shares the overly perfumey aspect I find in Geir Ness as well, almost a lingering connection to some of the older feminine perfumes I've smelled. It's not a bad smell, but I couldn't ever pull this off
    If Polge had replaced Chanel Allure Homme "Sport" with "Fraiche", Basenotes would be all over it.

It is some potent stuff, isn't it?

How many sprays are/were you wearing and where did you spray?

I think this one needs to be applied with as much caution as M7. One or two sprays, max.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I had one spray on my wrist, one spray on my mid forearm, and one spray on my uper forearm near my elbow, from an Escada sample vial sprayer which didn't put out alot of juice per spray.

As far as the potency of it, I scrubbed for about 3 minutes with my body wash, and maybe a decibel or so of scent volume went away (Haha I like scent volume decibels, new term coined here folks). I had to take one of those St. Ives Apricot Scrubs with the little scrubbing beads AND 2% salicylic acid and scrub my arm vigorously 2 or 3 times before I got the scent to fully go away, and I can still smell the basenotes a tid-bit when I press nose to skin.
    Last edited by Sokkou; 13th June 2009 at 05:35 PM.

I just dug out a sample of this from my stash after all the praise....(childrens) Diamatap ? Very grape-y and purple/powdery. I may need a fresher sample or a bottle to get a sense of it.
    -

After reading all of these vivid reviews, I'm now convinced that I'm anosmic to many scents. I've been wearing Magnetism for about 3 years, I really like it, but I find its longevity to be rather poor. I've found it to be a rather subtle fragrance (my wife often tells me she can't even smell it, even with 7 or 8 sprays). Also, I mainly just smell pepper, wood and vanilla.

I still really like Magnetism, though.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Perhaps try wearing less? I've honestly found with some scents that I smell them more when I wear fewer sprays.

With a scent as powerful as Magnetism, a spray to the neck would definitely induce olfactory fatigue, quickly. The key is to spray it far enough from the nose that the stimulation isn't constant - because it's that constant olfactory stimualtion that leads to olfactory fatigue. Next time you wear it you should try two sprays to the abdomen area, and see if you can't smell it better throughout the day.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Perhaps try wearing less? I've honestly found with some scents that I smell them more when I wear fewer sprays.

With a scent as powerful as Magnetism, a spray to the neck would definitely induce olfactory fatigue, quickly. The key is to spray it far enough from the nose that the stimulation isn't constant - because it's that constant olfactory stimualtion that leads to olfactory fatigue. Next time you wear it you should try two sprays to the abdomen area, and see if you can't smell it better throughout the day.
    I'll try it, but I don't think it's going to make a difference, since my wife says the same thing, that she can hardly smell it on me. Also,I'm on my second bottle, and no difference. Maybe it's just my skin

Since the start of this thread, I've worn Magnetism twice, specifically looking for the Vanilla Coke. I can't find it. Very strange. It is metallic, sharp and bright feeling to me. Totally unique amongst my frags and I detect no (traditional) vanilla note even in the drydown. I can seen the relationship to grape that some mention but it doesn't strike me as Kool-aid, dimetap, or other decidedly fruity artificial flavoring. Think I'll wear it again today.

The vanilla coke resemblance only occurs with the top-notes present, and only in passing.

Maybe I need to smell Vanilla Coke again.

I think the "Vanilla Coke" is quite realistic actually (not that I've had it in ages, it's discontinued here in the UK ). It does get a lot of attention from girls though, which is probably why I don't wear it so often.

Thank you for these excellent suggestions. Four hours ago, after reading your post, I sprayed only one spritz of Magnetism on my forearm. Voila - I can still smell it! I don't think I've ever detected this much longevity before with this one! I'll have to try this with Eau Sauvage, which I practically bathe in and can hardly smell after an hour.

i had mixed feelings about it when i first smelled it .... i liked it for sure...but i wondered if it was more suitable for women? however may be this is the only feminine smelling fragrance(IMO) that i dont mind wearing.... i enjoy wearing indeed

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Thank you for these excellent suggestions. Four hours ago, after reading your post, I sprayed only one spritz of Magnetism on my forearm. Voila - I can still smell it! I don't think I've ever detected this much longevity before with this one! I'll have to try this with Eau Sauvage, which I practically bathe in and can hardly smell after an hour.
    Awesome! I'm glad that is working. It seems so counterintuitive but it has worked for me with a number of scents.

Now just try to imagine what you smelled like to others while wearing 7 or 8 sprays of the stuff! :bounce:
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quick answer please: Is Magnetism better for night out or Sentiment?

I haven't tried Sentiment, but based on the reviews of it in the directory, it sounds like Magnetism is going to be the winner.

One thing is for sure, Magnetism would be a great scent to wear for a night out, when you really *want* to get noticed!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Wow! i just smelled Magnetism and dayumn, the drydown is great. This can be an every day scent! It is not heavy, but light, vanilla-ee, and cool in its composition. I saw it at Marshall's too, might want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    Wow! i just smelled Magnetism and dayumn, the drydown is great. This can be an every day scent! It is not heavy, but light, vanilla-ee, and cool in its composition. I saw it at Marshall's too, might want one.
    Dude! I just smelled magnetism again on the paper i sprayed it on, wow!! Sooo sensual, seductive, powerful, yet mellow, and captivating! Mmmmm!! This is great for hot weather and t shirt you know!

Dude! I just smelled magnetism again on the paper i sprayed it on, wow!! Sooo sensual, seductive, powerful, yet mellow, and captivating! Mmmmm!! This is great for hot weather and t shirt you know!
    Split personalities

It's embarrassing seeing Magnetism for like $15 at Marshalls now. I paid full price for it (I think $65 or $70) a few years ago when it was first released. I don't regret it, though. It's a damn good fragrance.