Code of Conduct

Default a man asking for a bit of help (recommend someone else a frag!)

Hey!

My (ex) (long story) girlfriend is thinking about finally moving on from her high school fragrance of choice (Lucky You), but she is absolutely clueless about where to start. We went sniffing a bit, but I'm absolutely lost on the womens' end of the counter and didn't quite know where to start. All I determined is that she's not much for overly citrusy things (Eau' D' Issey, for example). She didn't care much for D&G Light Blue either, if that helps at all.

Any ideas? Sorry I know this is awfully broad, but anything will help!

Default Re: a man asking for a bit of help (recommend someone else a frag!)

Yes, not a lot of information to go by! Since I'm not a fan of Issey myself, I can recommend the dept store choices that I like/find interesting:

* The Kenzo line is generally well reviewed; my favorites are Amour (vanilla oriental) and Flower Oriental (oriental). I always see Kenzo at Sephora, not sure about Macy's/Nordstroms
    * Guerlain - L'Instant de Guerlain (floral vanilla)
    * Dior - Hypnotic Poison (almond oriental)
    * Chanel - No 5 Eau Premier (revamped classic, good reviews)
    * Tocca - Brigitte (light spicy)

Also, you cannot go wrong by stopping by Chanel and Guerlain counters and sniffing anything they have on offer. Quality is generally pretty good (although I know some of the classics do not agree with me). But worth a try. I'd rather do that than sniff the latest Paris Hilton, you know?
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Yes, not a lot of information to go by! Since I'm not a fan of Issey myself, I can recommend the dept store choices that I like/find interesting:

* The Kenzo line is generally well reviewed; my favorites are Amour (vanilla oriental) and Flower Oriental (oriental). I always see Kenzo at Sephora, not sure about Macy's/Nordstroms
    * Guerlain - L'Instant de Guerlain (floral vanilla)
    * Dior - Hypnotic Poison (almond oriental)
    * Chanel - No 5 Eau Premier (revamped classic, good reviews)
    * Tocca - Brigitte (light spicy)

Also, you cannot go wrong by stopping by Chanel and Guerlain counters and sniffing anything they have on offer. Quality is generally pretty good (although I know some of the classics do not agree with me). But worth a try. I'd rather do that than sniff the latest Paris Hilton, you know?

Absolutely agree with Kess. You are bound to find at least one Chanel or Guerlain she likes. Kenzo or Dior ditto. Also might try anything by Donna Karan.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Blog Entries

Well, knowing what she doesn't like does help to eliminate! I'd therefore explore woody scents like Calvin Klein Secret Obsession, Estee Lauder Sensuous, and Chanel Allure. Or musky florals like Gucci by Gucci and Narciso Rodriguez for Her (try both the edp and edt if she likes musk, they're quite different and let her know musk doesn't equal Jovan Musk from 1975). Or maybe she'd like the the complex freshness of Burberry London.

Then there's chypres ... but why don't you first let us know what you've next eliminated.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Thanks for the tips! I really appreciate it, gonna go sniffing soon!