Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Reporting inappropriate reviews

Is there a way that we can report fragrance reviews that maybe shouldn't have made the cut into the directory? I just came across this one for Diorissimo:

i just wsnna ask something about Diorissimo.Is the smell old fashion and is it good for 26 years old women?.I havent tried it,but i am very curious and i wanna buy it,.I wanna try a classic parfume..and i love the smell of lily of the valley

Then there was this review for Creed Fleurs de Gardenia:

I have ordered two bottles of Fleurs de Gardenia from New York and was put on a waiting list before they mannaged to track down two bottles from San Antonio Texas, Sax Fifth Avenue.I live in Canada.
    Once I got the package and opned it I found only one, instead of two bottles of Fleurs de Gardenia. It just arrived today.
    It did not take me long to find out that I was riffed of by Saks Fifth Avenue from San Antonio Texas by some American weasel named "Pete", thats what said on the invoice. I am on the brink on contacting the authorities since this may not pass as someone's sorry-ass mistake, it was theft and I want everyone to know that.
    He charged me almost $800 US for two flacons since I did not get the limited edition atomizers and decided to send me one bottle and keep the other for himself.
    Anyways, the cologne is 70% female and 30% male and is garbage compared to Feuille Verte that I also got.
    It has this predominant bitter note to it that smells like someones sweat. Nothing extraordinary, people, nothing.
    Plus I got ripped off.
    So there...

I'm not sure that the Basenotes Fragrance Directory is a place for bashing retailers.

So if we come across something in the reviews that gives us pause to think, "Hmm, that probably doesn't belong here." is there a way we can let TPTB know about it?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Default Re: Reporting inappropriate reviews

I assume that those reviews were made by basenotes supporters, whose reviews aren't subject to Grant's editing process prior to posting. It's difficult to believe that those reviews have been screened. Whatever the case may be, they serve as excellent examples of why basenotes needs the review screening process.

But I believe you do raise a good point. I'd prefer not to slow down the review uploading process any more than it already is, and I'd also prefer not to impose the review screening on basenotes supporters. So I think another way of reporting inappropriate reviews is needed, as you suggested, to clean up reviews like these examples. This type of stuff does nothing but detract from the overall excellence of the basenotes reviews.

What say you, Grant?

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 11th June 2009 at 04:55 AM.

Dependent

I have made embarrassingly "off key" reviews that im dying to edit(once the edit function is up again) but

those that an_oud_girl listed above seem a to me like blatant mischief, and she has indeed brought to attention a good cause for some changes

2nd what noggs said, i personally wouldnt mind supporter screening as well, am open
    Last edited by MFJ; 11th June 2009 at 06:28 AM.

Here here ! .... I totally agree ! You totally get my vote here ! ... There are many a review that I think are in no way helpful or informative, and some even that should just be deleted ! ....
    As I have answered in another similar post recently, I think a ratings system for reviews (with an added function for reporting "unwanted" reviews) would be the most useful ! ..... So am just repeating it here, as a means of showing my support ! .... Maybe if enough of us "band together" on this, something will be done about it !

Blog Entries

Thank you for the vote of support, Sybarite. However, I want to be very clear that I'm not trying to remove reviews that some may find unhelpful or uninformative. Different readers will have different opinions regarding what they want learn from browsing the directory. Reviewers should have the freedom to express their sincere opinion as they see fit, even if it's only to say, "Smells like cat urine." An experienced reviewer could spend four paragraphs describing exactly why it smells like cat urine, but the casual reader may simply not have an interest in reading all that and be happy with the four word summary. Something for everyone. My goal here is to weed out reviews like the two I posted above. The first reviewer is asking questions about a scent they've never tried, and the second is using The Directory primarily as a soapbox for venting about their bad experience with a retailer. If the second reviewer's comments were edited to say only, "The cologne is 70% female and 30% male and is garbage compared to Feuille Verte that I also got. It has this predominant bitter note to it that smells like someones sweat. Nothing extraordinary, people, nothing," I'd think it acceptable for inclusion.

The biggest caveat to having a rating system is that it gives too much power to those who may simply disagree with a point of view (Creed-haters systematically negating any positive Creed review) or have an agenda ("I think reviews should meet certain criteria. This review fails to meet my criteria."). One must always be wary of the tyranny of the minority.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I agree with you 100% an_oud_girl.

Yes, I think it would be handy to be able to flag "off topic" reviews like AOG cited.

Although it may open the doors to a big discussion on what's an appropriate or what's inappropriate. I.e. I came across a review where the fragrances was likened to a smell of "an old lady who has incontinence and uses a lot of talcum powder to mop things up" (not an exact quote but reasonably close).

Would that be considered inappropriate? I'd say yes (ageism/sexism and a general put down of a poor old lady), but if there's a flagging feature, then the owners/moderators may have to spend a lot of time looking at reviews that people report just because they disagree with reviewer's language or opinion.

So I'm of two minds on this. Maybe it's best to let sleeping dogs lie, as they say.

Edit: Ah, here's the exact quote -- I was not too off base: "For me, it brought forth images of an old lady tending her lavender flowers, who, because of personal problems has to wear a lot of talc to, ahem…mop things up."
    Last edited by kess; 12th June 2009 at 12:52 AM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

The biggest caveat to having a rating system is that it gives too much power to those who may simply disagree with a point of view (Creed-haters systematically negating any positive Creed review) or have an agenda ("I think reviews should meet certain criteria. This review fails to meet my criteria."). One must always be wary of the tyranny of the minority.
    You are absolutely right ! You bring up a very good point on how a rating system could be abused. So perhaps not that suitable after all. (We certainly know how unreasonable and "missguided" those Creed "groupies" can be/get LOL) ... So perhaps just the "alert function", the same as we have in place to report/complain about offensive posts. Would be the most appropriate !

There was a blatant gay-bashing review I found once. I reported it through one of the forum threads by clicking the little red and white triangle in the upper right corner of each forum message. I just explained that I was not reporting the forum post, but a rude review (cut and pasted for proof).

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    There was a blatant gay-bashing review I found once. I reported it through one of the forum threads by clicking the little red and white triangle in the upper right corner of each forum message. I just explained that I was not reporting the forum post, but a rude review (cut and pasted for proof).
    that's a good idea.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I reported it through one of the forum threads by clicking the little red and white triangle in the upper right corner of each forum message. I just explained that I was not reporting the forum post, but a rude review (cut and pasted for proof).
    Excellent Asha - You offer a very simple and "common sense" solution to the problem. I think that's absolutely the perfect, or rather easiest, way to go about it - making use of what's already available. Why complicate things when that , I'm sure, will work very well indeed ! .......... Do tell us please : Did the review finally get deleted ? ... In other words, did "it work as intended ??? .... For if it did - Then "Voila" = The Solution !