Code of Conduct

Default Which is your ultimate Ava Luxe on male skin ?

Please help me whittle down the very many Ava Luxe frags, to the few that are just far too good to miss out on ? ...
    I have been reading the many reviews and posts, but am being kinda "snowed under" by the sheer amount. (And still getting nowhere closer to a decision, as my list just keeps growing ! For I would quite gladly sample them all !) ... Preferably I would like to get 6 (or 8 ) samples. Out of which I would then choose two as hopefully FBW. ... I would prefer one to be her "most excellent" very woodsy Amber one. ... And the other one can be of any type, (maybe even a "gourmand-ish" or "vanillic" one ?) just as long as it's irresistable !

So come on guys ... which are your "fave", "unmissable", "must-try"/ "have to sample" ... Ava Luxe recommendations ?
    Last edited by Sybarite; 11th June 2009 at 05:00 AM.

Default Re: Which is your ultimate Ava Luxe on male skin ?

Cafe Noir

I own and love this fragrance. I am suggesting this because you mentioned you were open to gourmands, and this is an excellent coffee note dominated fragrance. On my skin, no pyramid or dry down is noticeable at all. It is albeit very linear coffee, but exquisitely lovely coffee.

Others that are highly regarded and would be must trys:

Film Noir
    Incense Noir

I am sure that there are many other Basenoters that love Serena's work and will provide more suggestions.

I only wish Serena would bring back her 60 ML EDP bottles.

Good Luck!

TJ

I've said it previously, I'll say it again : Film Noir.

Excellent dark dusty BDSM style leather

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Bois FoncÚ
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Cafe Noir
    I own and love this fragrance. I am suggesting this because you mentioned you were open to gourmands, and this is an excellent coffee note dominated fragrance. On my skin, no pyramid or dry down is noticeable at all. It is albeit very linear coffee, but exquisitely lovely coffee.
    Others that are highly regarded and would be must trys:
    Film Noir
    Incense Noir
    I am sure that there are many other Basenoters that love Serena's work and will provide more suggestions.
    I only wish Serena would bring back her 60 ML EDP bottles.
    Good Luck!
    Thanx TJ - I did like the sound of those. And I do like a coffe note. But can you tell me please ? ... Is it a more "milky coffee" type, or more of a "dark espresso" type ?

And what size ML's are her EDP bottles now then ? ...(100ml?)

I've said it previously, I'll say it again : Film Noir.

Excellent dark dusty BDSM style leather
    Film Noir was one at the top of my list, so I'm glad to get a confirmation there !

Yep, Amit .... that certainly sounds just like somethin that might "whip me into a frenzy of delight" ! ... I like, I like !

Bois Fonce
    Thanx Two Roads ! .... Is Bois Fonce the oud/tobacco/patchouli one by any chance ?
    Last edited by Sybarite; 11th June 2009 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Please help me whittle down the very many Ava Luxe frags, to the few that are just far too good to miss out on ? ...
    I have been reading the many reviews and posts, but am being kinda "snowed under" by the sheer amount. (And still getting nowhere closer to a decision, as my list just keeps growing ! For I would quite gladly sample them all !) ... Preferably I would like to get 6 (or 8 ) samples. Out of which I would then choose two as hopefully FBW. ... I would prefer one to be her "most excellent" very woodsy Amber one. ... And the other one can be of any type, (maybe even a "gourmand-ish" or "vanillic" one ?) just as long as it's irresistable !

So come on guys ... which are your "fave", "unmissable", "must-try"/ "have to sample" ... Ava Luxe recommendations ?
    I have been having trouble wading through the info on this house as well. Considering how popular they are/were on the boards, there aren't too many reviews posted. Well, there are quite a few if you count the ones in discussion threads, but they are hard to wade through if you don't have a lot of time on your hands.

Not to hijack the thread, but i would especially appreciate opinions of some lighter Ava Luxe frags for summer use

i have a decant of Fil m Noir and i must say, this is very underrrated. one of the finest smoky, campfirish, leather based scent out there.

I love KAMA but I am a musk kinda guy.

Hillaire

Incense Tibet

Thanx TJ - I did like the sound of those. And I do like a coffe note. But can you tell me please ? ... Is it a more "milky coffee" type, or more of a "dark espresso" type ?

And what size ML's are her EDP bottles now then ? ...(100ml?)

Sybarite:

On my skin, not milky at all. I would characterize it as a dark provocative coffee. Serena puts so much EDP in her EDPs I will tell you a story. I once decanted a 4ML sample of Cafe Noir for a Basenotes buddy to check out. I decanted it at my desk and then showered. After my shower, I could still smell Cafe Noir on my fingers.

As far as volumes now offered, she now offers 30 ML EDPs and 10 ML parfum extraits. Her site is at:

http://www.ava-luxe.com/2008/index.html

Samples can be acquired at The Perfumed Court. I would think that 1 ML samples will give you a very good idea of how the fragrance mixes with your skin chemistry and fragrance preferences. Here is the link:

http://theperfumedcourt.com/

Hope this helps. I am sure you will get many other strong suggestions as Serena's work is very much admired on Basenotes.

Best,

TJ

I would prefer one to be her "most excellent" very woodsy Amber one. ...?
    I don't think that any of her ambers (at least those with amber in the name) are very woodsy. Ambra Tibet is a nice spicy amber with a hint of something animalic creeping around at the edges, and is probably the best of her Amber frags. For a woody oriental try Bois Exotique.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    As far as volumes now offered, she now offers 30 ML EDPs and 10 ML parfum extraits.
    Some frags also come in 5 and 15mL sizings.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    I have been having trouble wading through the info on this house as well. Considering how popular they are/were on the boards, there aren't too many reviews posted. Well, there are quite a few if you count the ones in discussion threads, but they are hard to wade through if you don't have a lot of time on your hands.

Not to hijack the thread, but i would especially appreciate opinions of some lighter Ava Luxe frags for summer use
    The only "fresh" Ava Luxe I have tried (from a sample) is Linen Musk. It is a very clean, light scent, not bad especially for the price, but for this type of scent I prefer Puro Lino.

Royal Parvati is a good, dry woody scent that is is surprisingly appropriate in hot weather. Not cedar-dominated. Not a "creamy" sandalwood scent, no vanilla or patchouli, etc. Reminds me slightly of Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 11th June 2009 at 04:43 PM.

Seconds on the Cafe Noir and Film Noir, and don't miss Kretek either, especially if you like the smell of clove cigarettes.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i have a decant of Film Noir and i must say, this is very underrrated. one of the finest smoky, campfirish, leather based scent out there.
    How does Film Noir compare to Tauer's Lonestar Memories?

Personally to me Film Noir is neither smoky not campfirish, it's miles away in the opposite direction actually -- with no relation to Lonestar Memories. It doesn't contain birch tar -- It's suede leather handled in a sinisterly dark fashion.

Thanx Two Roads ! .... Is Bois Fonce the oud/tobacco/patchouli one by any chance ?
    Here is Serena's description: Bois Fonce
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Personally to me Film Noir is neither smoky not campfirish, it's miles away in the opposite direction actually -- with no relation to Lonestar Memories. It doesn't contain birch tar -- It's suede leather handled in a sinisterly dark fashion.
    Hi Amit - Interesting that you do not find it smokey, while others do. Nor that it is even that "leathery", being more like suede. ... But please do tell us what, in your opinion, lends Film Noir it's "darkness" ??? ... I can easily imagine a dark smokey/leather. But am having a harder time imagining what would make a "suede" dark ??? ... Thanx !

Royal Parvati is a good, dry woody scent that is is surprisingly appropriate in hot weather. Not cedar-dominated. Not a "creamy" sandalwood scent, no vanilla or patchouli, etc. Reminds me slightly of Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique.
    Hi Jardanel - If you say that ceder is not really the promonant wood (nor sandalwood) ... which wood would you say is the predominant one ??? ... Thanx !

Here is Serena's description: Bois Fonce
    Hi TwoRoads - thanx for that link !... But I had already looked it up, but unfortunately it did not give one much of a clue as to what else was going on with the scent. ... Could you perhaps please elaborate on it's notes, ( to your nose ? )... What else, apart from the oudh would you say is very apparent ? As from the link it is looking like a pretty straight forward oudh/incense type frag. ... Thanx !

I don't think that any of her ambers (at least those with amber in the name) are very woodsy. Ambra Tibet is a nice spicy amber with a hint of something animalic creeping around at the edges, and is probably the best of her Amber frags. For a woody oriental try Bois Exotique.
    Thanx Surreality - Yes, I very much like the sound of these two ! They both sound just like what I'm looking for - They have both gone right to the top of my list ! - Thanx !

and don't miss Kretek either, especially if you like the smell of clove cigarettes.
    Hi Scentronic - Kretek I am still in two minds about. For strangely enough, I quite like the smell of one particular brand of clove cigarettes. But this does not make sense to me, as I usually really don't like the scent of cloves. (Especially if strongly used !) They always remind me of tooth-ache medecine. ... So thanx, but ... ???? I'm a little weary there ! (It's on the "maybe" list, for now !)

I love KAMA but I am a musk kinda guy

Hi thanx Loungeboy - I sometimes like musk, and sometimes hate it, ... so Kama ???
    Please do tell us, what kind of musk is it ? Is it quite a "skanky" musk ? (I hope it is not white musk - which to me always seems to smells more like cheap hairspray !)

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................

And everyone else (I might have missed?) - Thanx for all the recommendations :wave: !

Do you guys perhaps also have a good recommendation as to which one is her best strong vanilla too ?
    Last edited by Sybarite; 11th June 2009 at 06:14 PM.

Hi Amit - Interesting that you do not find it smokey, while others do. Nor that it is even that "leathery", being more like suede. ... But please do tell us what, in your opinion, lends Film Noir it's "darkness" ??? ... I can easily imagine a dark smokey/leather. But am having a harder time imagining what would make a "suede" dark ??? ... Thanx !
    A look at the "notes list" in the BN directory reveals 'Black leather' and 'Black Amber' alongwith the Suede. I happen to think it's the Labdanum and Castoreum in it -- Castoreum is not listed among the notes, but I believe its there -- combined with the Tonka Bean to blanket the Seude -- lending it a "dark" and "dusty" feel.

Not smoky to my nose, not the least

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Bois FoncÚ
    Second Bois FoncÚ / Oud -- this is pure hot ambers. I prefer this oud to a few Montale's aoud line scents it tried, mostly because Ava Luxe's in unadulterated.

Very little of this is needed -- my 1 ml TPC vial is probably a life-time supply. To me, it evoked a camp fire at night, as it's almost done, with hot ambers and just a hint of smoke, under a star-lit sky. (But it may be just a personal association from the summers we spent camping.) I will try the oudh oil you sent me and will report back.
    Last edited by kess; 11th June 2009 at 06:48 PM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

A look at the "notes list" in the BN directory reveals 'Black leather' and 'Black Amber' alongwith the Suede. I happen to think it's the Labdanum and Castoreum in it -- Castoreum is not listed among the notes, but I believe its there -- combined with the Tonka Bean to blanket the Seude -- lending it a "dark" and "dusty" feel.

Not smoky to my nose, not the least
    Ah , castoreum, labdanum, and tonka ... what's not to like ??? (LOL) ! ... It's definitely going on my list then ! - Thanx Amit !

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    How does Film Noir compare to Tauer's Lonestar Memories?
    Film Noir is a totally diferent beast, and is the much more wearable fragrance of the two.

Didn't read *all* of the responses, but the only AL I've tried is #23 and I recommend it.
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!