Code of Conduct

Default Versace - The emporer has no clothes

Versace used to put out some really edgy, dynamic and breathtaking masculine frags over the years such as Dreamer, Man, & Black Jeans. I don't even know how a mainstream designer house ever had the vision to release these given they were so far from mainstream consumption (strange top notes!!!) that they seemed destined for the niche crowd. It's no surprise all of them tanked in sales and some Versace execs were canned over their failure.

Of course that vision is now gone. It seems Versace is content to put out run of the mill frags like Man Fraiche which they didn't even bother composing (they bought Light Blue's formula from D&G) and Versace PH which is basically the sum of every fresh men's frag you smelled from the 2000's. Even YSL & Guerlain has fallen prey to this syndrome by putting out the inoffensive and excessively boring L'Homme & Homme (detect a pattern, Homme?). We saw the same thing in mainstream record/CD labels in the late '90's/early 2000's where any band/artist that had an ounce of originality and vision were tossed off the label in favor of blandness and safety. I guess the only consolation of this is you can still find these lost gems for very reasonable prices.

Given the recession, I hold no hope that Versace or even YSL/Guerlain will find it in themselves to regain that vision of yesteryear. When I think of the state of Versace now, I picture the last scene from Caligula where Emporer Caligula (played by Malcolm McDowell) is naked and bleeding to death.
    Last edited by manicboy; 11th June 2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Versace - The emporer has no clothes

the only Versace fragrance that got my attention was and still is Versace L Homme. I still have a full 100 ml bottle, timeless
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I gave up on Versace some while ago, they are the epitome of all that I find superficial and disposable in modern designer fragrances. It is sometimes hard to remember that this is the same fragrance house that gave us the delightful Versace L'Homme.

Versace L´ Homme was introduced to me in 1992 by a girlfriend I had from Haiti. At the time I was wearing Kouros.She told me L´ Homme was the most sensual and intoxicating fragrance and since I am a very good boy I locked Kouros and got a bottle of L´Homme, it worked wonders.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I wholeheartedly agree with you - and interesting fact that some people were fired because of how, let's say, unique the Versace fragrances were. I didn't know this.

What I do know is that while Gianni was still alive, he was very much involved in almost every aspect of what Versace put out - the fragrances, the Versace Home collections, the Versace Rosenthal partnership, etc. It didn't take long after his tragic death that the house started going downhill. Creativity was lacking, and my predictions all came true when Donatella at one point went into the "vault" and started to update and re-release many of Gianni's designs with her own spin.

I remember having every Versace fragrance in my collection at one point (men's) and L'Homme was the best, though I really enjoyed The Dreamer, Black Jeans, and Green Jeans to a certain extent. I think Donatella has tried to make Versace a much more accessible, easy to wear house. The last time I was at the Versace boutique in NYC, it was quite sad to see just how dull things had gotten.

The emperor has no clothes, indeed.

Blog Entries

I'm right there with AnthonyDG.

Versace (clothes, everything) kind of stopped mattering when he died. When I went out to the gay clubs in the early 90's, you could spot the true fashionistas by their Versace. Now, it's just a familiar name that moves product...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I used to have a brilliant collection of the Versace Couture ties. Yes, they were difficult to wear in some settings (work) but lots of fun otherwise. I've never received so many compliments and attracted so much attention as I did during those days.

Versace L'Homme also brought in lots of compliments. The Dreamer was a bit androgynous, though it was certainly unique at the time. I think it came out before Givenchy PI.

Blue Jeans was never really my thing.. but Black Jeans, absolutely. Green Jeans and Versus (not V/S) were both charming. I credit the early Versace fragrances for giving me an appreciation for the niche fragrances I enjoy today.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I'm right there with AnthonyDG.

Versace (clothes, everything) kind of stopped mattering when he died. When I went out to the gay clubs in the early 90's, you could spot the true fashionistas by their Versace. Now, it's just a familiar name that moves product...

As far as I am concerned Armani is the only designer house still somewhat consistent in quality.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Versace L´ Homme was introduced to me in 1992 by a girlfriend I had from Haiti. At the time I was wearing Kouros.She told me L´ Homme was the most sensual and intoxicating fragrance and since I am a very good boy I locked Kouros and got a bottle of L´Homme, it worked wonders.
    I'Homme is a great fragrance - so intriguing on how it is fresh yet spicy at the same time. This is the bench mark of a Mediterranean fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    We saw the same thing in mainstream record/CD labels in the late '90's/early 2000's where any band/artist that had an ounce of originality and vision were tossed off the label in favor of blandness and safety.
    Wait, I realize this is off topic, but do you seriously think this phenomenom is limited to the late 90's/early 00's? You have to be kidding me. I realize I may be a bit biased considering I grew up as a 90's baby, but I would argue that the state that the music industry is in now is far worse than it was in the late 90's. Have you listened to the radio recently? I mean not only is it not good or original, there are only like 10 songs constantly cycled. At least back in the late 90's there was a bit of diversity in the types of music played, that no longer can be said.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Insofar as fragrance, or clothing?

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    As far as I am concerned Armani is the only designer house still somewhat consistent in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Insofar as fragrance, or clothing?
    Fragrances.

Eau Pour homme (84) can hold its own when it comes to lemon fragrances (despite the somewhat parched base which I believe has deteriorated over time).

Di Gio homme (96) was a blockbuster,

Armani Mania (02)...I forgot what this one smells like,

Armani Black Code (04) was one of the best designer fragrances I had smelled in years: A. Maisondieu's handling of an intriguing olive flower note with a guaiac wood and tonka base resulted in a distinctive woody oriental,

Attitude (07) was a step down but still not bad with a lemon-coffee variation on Black Codes woody base. It has a dense, moist feel to it. Compared to recent Versace's such as Pour Homme, its astounding.

The new private collection isn't bad either: Bois d'Encens is a quality incense, and Cuir Amethyste is one of the better suede scents.

On the flip side, I prefer Versace L'Homme to any Armani.
    -

Completely agree with you.

I loved Mania for years and wish I could find something remotely close to it with sillage and longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Fragrances.

Eau Pour homme (84) can hold its own when it comes to lemon fragrances (despite the somewhat parched base which I believe has deteriorated over time).

Di Gio homme (96) was a blockbuster,

Armani Mania (02)...I forgot what this one smells like,

Armani Black Code (04) was one of the best designer fragrances I had smelled in years: A. Maisondieu's handling of an intriguing olive flower note with a guaiac wood and tonka base resulted in a distinctive woody oriental,

Attitude (07) was a step down but still not bad with a lemon-coffee variation on Black Codes woody base. It has a dense, moist feel to it. Compared to recent Versace's such as Pour Homme, its astounding.

The new private collection isn't bad either: Bois d'Encens is a quality incense, and Cuir Amethyste is one of the better suede scents.

On the flip side, I prefer Versace L'Homme to any Armani.

Irrespective of my opinion about Versace, I also hope that, along with YSL and Guerlain, Chanel, ADP, Creed, Penhaligon's and many more fragrance house won't fall into the same trap.

When I was younger everything was better! Hasn't that been an anecdote for ages, from generation to generation?

Pop music sucks, yes, but there's still amazing music, intricate, melodious, beautiful compositions, in underground progressive/indie genre's, and take some time to find. Minus The Bear, for one.

Sur la Plage

I own and enjoy Versace l'Homme, The Dreamer and Black Jeans. I do not foresee purchasing any other Versace fragrances at this time.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    When I was younger everything was better! Hasn't that been an anecdote for ages, from generation to generation?

Pop music sucks, yes, but there's still amazing music, intricate, melodious, beautiful compositions, in underground progressive/indie genre's, and take some time to find. Minus The Bear, for one.
    I completely agree, and that's why I get my music from the underground.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I agree, Versace has fallen off hard.

BTW, if anyone is interested, Herer's book is actually really quite interesting for everyone, herbalist or not.
    http://www.amazon.com/Emperor-Wears-.../dp/1878125028