Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Patchouli-based fragrances

Just wondering what you all think is the single best patchouli-based (i.e., where patchouli is a dominant note) fragrance for men. I thought I hated patchouli (I always thought of head shop patchouli) until I tried Mazzolari Patchouly, which is the best patchouli fragrance I've ever smelled so far. Anything better out there??
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Default Re: Patchouli-based fragrances

Have you tried Patchouli by Réminiscence? It's an amber-y patch from the 70s, kind of hippy, but quite refined. Vintage Givenchy Gentleman is by far, the best blended, patch designer fragrance I've ever experienced. Happy hunting!

I've tried lots of patchouli predominant fragrances and the field of good patchouli blends is wide and deep. My personal favorite is Patchouly Indonesiano by Farmacia S.S. Annunziata. (Luckyscent). Patchouly Indonesiano has a slightly more damp earth (vetiver) feel to it than the Mazzolari which finishes with a bit of raw animal warmth in the base (from honey and amber).
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 12th June 2009 at 02:15 PM.

Montale Patchouli Leaves features a rather Givenchy Gentlemanesque handling of patchouli which I happen to dislike, but it may work for you.

Parfumerie Generale Intrigant Patchouli with it's slightly mentholated opening soothes and comforts as much as its animalic base teases. Profumum's Thundra treads a similar path, featuring a "damp earthy" feel, complete with rotting leaves.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Etro makes one, but I prefer something else going on, so a frag like Borneo 1834 appeals more to me.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th June 2009 at 05:47 AM.

MDM by Marc de la Morandiere

S-Perfume Lust
    Mazzolari Lui
    L'artisan Voleur De Roses

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur & Gantier, Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange, Voleur De Roses by l'Artisan Parfumeur and Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens are my favourite patchouly-based scents.

Patchouli - Molinard.
    It's cheap and lasts a long time!
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler is pretty patchoulli heavy!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I agree with Amit's suggestion of PG's Intrigant Patchouli and will add PG's LOmbre Fauve.

I love Rosine d'Homme. While I wouldn't call it patchouli-based, it's definitely in there, and does wonders for the rose!
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Bond No. 9 H.O.T. Always is a great patchouli/camphor scent that has incredible longevity and is anything but shy.

Nasomatto Hindu Grass also has a big patchouli hit, though much dryer and austere than the more saturated note in the Bond.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

ETRO patchouli is atomic,
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I too am on the hunt for my HG patchouli, and so far I give the nod to Profumum Patchouly. Unfortunately, it's obscenely expensive ($240/100mL at Luckyscent), so I'm trying to find a cheaper doppleganger. Buzzlepuff, the Patchouli Indonesiano sounds intriguing.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 16th June 2009 at 02:03 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

AromiErotici

I should have Molinard today if not tomorrow. For $20 shipped ( 100ml), I'm hoping it surprises me.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I should have Molinard today if not tomorrow. For $20 shipped ( 100ml), I'm hoping it surprises me.
    Please let us know what you think about the Molinard. At $20, that's hard to beat! I'm particularly interested how it compares to Mazzolari's patchouli. I'd love to get the Mazzolari, but I just paid $175 for Lui, and can't shell out another $175 (I'm trying to find someone who'll do a swap for Cypres-Musc or Goutal's Vetiver, both of which I have full bottles and are rare).
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Please let us know what you think about the Molinard. At $20, that's hard to beat! I'm particularly interested how it compares to Mazzolari's patchouli. I'd love to get the Mazzolari, but I just paid $175 for Lui, and can't shell out another $175 (I'm trying to find someone who'll do a swap for Cypres-Musc or Goutal's Vetiver, both of which I have full bottles and are rare).
    I have only sampled worn Mazzolari Lui and it's a beautiful frag. I can't imagine Molinard being even close, but I still expect it to be good.

I usually try a few sprays of juice right out in the Post Office parking lot, so as soon as I get it, I'll post up when I return home.

You should definitely try Straight to Heaven.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

I agree with Bigsly, Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens is my all-time favorite.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

For patchouli dominant scents (other accords besides patchouli), my favorites are Chanel Coromandel, SL Borneo 1834 and Etat Libre's Nobril Immense. Mugler Ice Men and Histoire des Parfums Patchouli Noir are honorable mentions.

For pure patchoulis, the Farmacia Anunziata that Buzzlepuff mentioned is excellent, plus those by Reminiscence (the edp is the best), Santa Maria Novella, and Montale. For an absurd amount of money the Profumum Patchouly is ver good, but $240 is excessive for a patchouli.

Sorry for the double post not sure how that happened.
    Last edited by shermanirving; 16th June 2009 at 04:46 AM.

L'Artisans Patchouli Patch is highly underrated. I don't see many people talk about it but I've liked it a lot more than a lot of other patchouli dominated fragrances. Has the note with a lot of nice, clean musk.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

I am a Patch lover and of the ones i tried Patchouli Antique is the best to me and fairly cheap to be niche. HIGHLY UNDERRATED!

Mojo from Gendarme is Patchouli abundant and is pretty inexpensive

Have to agree with Agent Zero's recommedation: Patchouli Patch by L' Artisan. Also agree with a couple other posters on their recommendation of L' Artisan's Voleur de Roses-georgeous patchouli with rose.

Basenotes Plus

My husband decided to search for his inner hippie a few years ago. He found it in patch frags. His favorite: LV Patchouli
    My favorites: George Sands, L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer, Patchouli Patch, Voleur de Roses, ETRO Patchouli, Jalaine Patchouli, and for an excellent & inexpensive patchouli Aveda. Oh, oh...Ava Luxe Sweet Patchouli is divine too.

An amazing deal for such a fine fragrance. The patchouli is very vegetal and a little unfocused at first, but it comes together in 15 minutes and it stays solid for hours and hours.

L'Artisan's "Patchouli Patch" and Molinard's "Patchouli" have actually quite a bit in common. (The "first half" definitely, not so much the "second half" and "dry down"). ... They have much the same "type" of patchouli note and overall "feel" (L'Artisan's being quite a bit sweeter, and also less "musky"(Molinard has a very prominent synthetic musk). .... (But for the quite huge price difference here ... I would probably go with the Molinard one ! (However, on me, I found it somewhat fleeting though, and somewhat lacking in depth !) ....

BUT ...

However... Being both a Patch Luvrrr and "Junky" ! ... The two mentioned above would have been OK, had my nose not been totally "spoilt" by these other much much superior Patch's, such as : F SS Annunziata's "Patchouly Indonesiano" , Reminiscence's "Patchouli Elixir" and Profumum Roma's "Patchouly" ... All three of which are just "Patch Heaven" for a patch-luvrrr! ...
    (And here, I would suggest as an excellent much cheaper, but similar alternative - Les Nereides "Patchouli Antique" - Which isn't quite as excellent as the 3 above, but kinda similar ... but more importantly, pretty outstanding for it's price ! (And worlds better than the Molinard one too !).

Then, as for my two absolute "most delicious" patchouli notes, within a more rounded composition : I must say that nothing beats the patchouli in Chanels "Coromandel" (Just totally perfect and quite magnificent ! An ACE Frag' indeed ! ) .... And L'Artisans "Voleur de Roses" (If you don't mind the almost "rasberried" "plummy" rose, to go with the patch !)

For a different take on Patch', where the note comes across in a more "original" way (as in, perhaps not so instantly "recogniseably" patchy). Honourable mention should go to PG's "Intrigant Patchouli" . Which has an unusual but still quite gorgeous and pretty persistent "peak-a-boo" patch note at it's base ... that keeps catching your nose in surprise whiffs, at the most unexpected times, all through the evening ! ... And is quite captivating ! ...
    (I would also perhaps add this is a perfect one for someone who's not particularly a patch fan. As it might surprise you ! ... Also, it may take a few wearings to fully "get it" !)
    And the other honourable mention is ELd'Orange "Nombril Immense" - Even if just as a "must try once, at very least" ! - Personally, I really enjoyed it !

But lastly, ... if I really could have, only just the one ! ... Then I suppose I must say Coromandel has my heart !
    (But Patchouly Indonesiano is my hardcore Patchouli "fix" ! ... It really has everything I want/need from a patch centred frag !) ... (Come on, one is just soooo ridiculously impossible!!! (LOL)

From the more "mainstream" or even "golden oldies" - Givenchy - "Gentleman" is a "reference" patch classic ! ... And Mugler's "B*Men" and "Ice Men" are commendable, solid, patchouli rich compositions !

Now many of these have already been mentioned before, earlier in the thread .... But I thought "stressing them" might just "knock it home" ... just how exceptional these really are !

You really can't go wrong with any of the above ! ... (But I would say that the very best value for money, would be Les Nereides - Patchouli Antique !)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 18th June 2009 at 03:13 AM.

I think B*Men is to die for. I would call it delicious even. It's patchouli done right. Montale's Patchouli Leaves will knock your socks of initially. Very rugged stuff that wears down to something quite nice.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 13th June 2009 at 03:02 AM.

Michael for Men impressed me as having quite a big patchouli note last time I wore it, a couple of weeks ago.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th June 2009 at 03:51 AM.

AromiErotici

Received Molinard Patchouli for men and while good, I have to say I'm unimpressed. I will try layering it with other scents, but as a stand-alone, I find it lacks depth and longevity.

Sur la Plage

A friend of mine just recently recommended Fresh - Patchouli Pure to me. I have not tried it yet, but am looking forward to it.

Notes:
    Top: ginger, bergamot, orange
    Heart: patchouli, cinnamon, pimento berry
    Base: vanilla, amber, tonka musk
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    A friend of mine just recently recommended Fresh - Patchouli Pure to me. I have not tried it yet, but am looking forward to it.

Notes:
    Sounds like an interesting combination bro. Let us know how it is after you sample it.

I tried layering the Molinard on each arm. I used the Molinard Patchouli first, then sprayed Heritage and Escada PH.

The Guerlain on top of the Molinard is actually interesting. My wife liked it also. The Escada smells better on its own, albeit it's not a bad combo.

Midnight Poison! rosePATCHOULIamber. Fantastic.

L'Artisan's is good.
    So is etro's
    I often I layer Dark Patchouli EO with Creed's Green Valley (which has patchouli, but I think the patchouli in it is overshadowed by honeysuckle bush/vanilla.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    Midnight Poison! rosePATCHOULIamber. Fantastic.
    He's right. Midnight Poison is an underated rose/patch fragrance. One of the best of the "Poison" flankers IMO.

Received Molinard Patchouli for men and while good, I have to say I'm unimpressed. I will try layering it with other scents, but as a stand-alone, I find it lacks depth and longevity.
    We did warn you (LOL) ... I also felt exactly the same way about my Molinard Patch. ... But then, how can one really expect that much more from it, for that price point ??? ... I have even stopped layering it, as I find that it just gets totally swallowed up. And doesn't really work with anything else `I have. ... These other niche patchouli's have really spoilt my nose, with their excellent deep gorgeous "patchouliness" . That every time I smell the Molinard now, I'm just ... meh ? (shrugs shoulders!)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 18th June 2009 at 03:22 AM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    We did warn you (LOL) ... I also felt exactly the same way about my Molinard Patch. ... But then, how can one really expect that much more from it, for that price point ??? ... I have even stopped layering it, as I find that it just gets totally swallowed up. And doesn't really work with anything else `I have. ... These other niche patchouli's have really spoilt my nose, with their excellent deep gorgeous "patchouliness" . That every time I smell the Molinard, I'm just ... meh ? (shrugs shoulders!)
    Yep......I agree. I'm not too disappointed because it's not bad....especially for the price. It can always make a good room freshener.

When it comes to patchouli nothing has beaten yet the combination of patchouli-camphor-cocoa in Borneo 1834.
    The scariest of them all? Montale Patchouli Leaves. I could noy believe how Montale could ever put their name on something so raw and animalic. Not bad but definately scary...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Notes:
    I liked it when I tried it. VERY cinnamon prominent.

-- Jack Kerouac

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I liked it when I tried it. VERY cinnamon prominent.
    Do you like cinnamon?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bois 1920 Real Patchouly has really got me in its grip, I may have to get the FB. It reminds my admitedly "green nose" of a patchouli spiked Santal Noble - so smooth and wide in its embracing glow. Asha has mentioned it many times in different and convincing words. I just must have a bottle this month. From there to discover others. I've tried Etro and a couple others but the 1920 really hits home.
    Last edited by cedarnotes; 16th June 2009 at 03:25 AM.

AromiErotici

After buying the Molinard and then re-reading a bunch of reviews and opinions, I am leaning toward either Mazzolari or Profumum.

Both are a real hurt piece on the wallet, but I really want an outstanding patch scent for my drobe.

AE, If you are considering either Mazzolari or Profumum, then you should at least try Farmacia SS Patchouli Indonesiano. One other I've tried that skirts this style (green, earthy and smoky) is Montale Patchouli Leaves, although the Montale seems a bit more "menthol". The Montale reminds me a bit of Bois 1920 Real Patchouly but is drier, less fruity and not as woody.

A lot of patch scents tend to have an ambery base, more or less. If you like more amber, then Reminiscence Patchouli Elixir and Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe are great. SL Borneo 1834 is awesome--very camphorous and dry--it is as if they created patchouli from individual components rather than using pure patchouli to create the holographic effect. It is the only patch I have that is really light on the amber in the drydown.
    Last edited by Asha; 16th June 2009 at 03:46 AM.

If Mazzolari Patchouly is your favorite, I recommend the following:

Réminiscence Paris Patchouli Elixir EDP. I agree with Ruggles, Asha, and shermanirving. It's a rich, warm patchouli with plenty of amber in the base. Slightly bitter at first but smooths quickly. Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 is my overall favorite scent but I wear this one when I want more patchouli. Sex and danger in a bottle. A heavy rotation favorite.

Les Néréides Patchouli Antique. One of the best buys in patchouli. An outstandig patchouli/vanilla blend that provides hours of enjoyment. I own a bottle and wear it in the fall and winter because of the vanilla.

Profumum Patchouly. Earthy, warm patchouli. I have smelled similar patchouli fragrances but this one... just smells incredible.

Farmacia S.S. Annunziata Patchouly Indonesiano. Evokes images of basements with dirt floors and cinder block walls. It has the classic camphor odor of some patchouli perfume oil I own.

Il Profumo Patchouli Noir. Patchouli warmed with vanilla instead of amber. Interesting but not FBW for me.

Mazzolari Lui. I'm with nsamadi on this one. If you like Mazzolari Patchouly, Lui has plenty of patchouli and precious woods.

Montale Patchouli Leaves. A classic riff on the patchouli/amber theme; however, I prefer the edgy bite of Montale Blue Amber.

Santa Maria Novella Patchouly. A one-note wonder. I think it contains some musk and maybe a little amber but the patchouli note rings loud and clear. A sharp patchouli for a good price, but not a complex scent.

Bois 1920 Real Patchouly. Interesting citrus opening to a classic patchouli/amber/vanilla experience.

Other favorites containing patchouli that do not necessarily remind me of Mazzolari Patchouly include:

Serge Lutens Serge Noire. Spicy, twisted, and enigmatic. A new favorite.

By Kilian Straight to Heaven. Could also be 'Straight to Patchouli'. A boozy, camphorous intoxicating oriental with a healthy dose of patchouli.

Michael Kors Michael for Men. Dense masculine oriental blend of fruit, tobacco, incense, leather, and patchouli. A cool weather favorite. IMO one of the best masculine fragrances of the last 20 years.

Givenchy Gentleman. Reference masculine patchouli.

Bond No. 9 H.O.T. Always. Despite the obvious comparisons to Givenchy Gentleman, it smells great and lasts for hours.

Nasomatto Hindu Grass. Dry blend of tobacco, patchouli and grass.

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834. What can I say. I have yet to find a fragrance that smells as good on me as Borneo 1834. My Number One. I wear it at least three times a week. When I die, they will either embalm me with Borneo 1834 or place my ashes in some empty bell jars.
    Last edited by Sloan; 16th June 2009 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I too am on the hunt for my HG patchouli, and so far I give the nod to Profumum Patchouly. Unfortunately, it's obscenely expensive ($240/100mL at Luckyscent), so I'm trying to find a cheaper doppleganger. Buzzlepuff, the Patchouli Indonesiano sounds intriguing.
    Yeah I've settled on P. Indonesiano as a favorite because of the coldness in the blend. They have removed all the sharp edges and medicinal turns that many patchouli fragrances still have. The Farmacia Annunziata folks must add camphor and possiblly a bit of vetiver with this blend because it is very much like Sloan's quick review of it in his long list of patchouli frags, having a cold concrete basement feel in nature. Most of the other patchouli fragrances seem to go to the sweet side with vanilla and amber - but not the Patchouli Indonesiano - it stays very cool and earthen. Wonderful stuff. It's worth a test.

I like Sloan 8013's overview list above because it is so comprehensive while covering the basic nature of each patchouli. Too many blends use vanilla or amber in the mix for my taste. I prefer patchouli fragrances to stay on the cool side. Another good cool patch fragrance is M. Micallef's Patchouly because it blends cold notes such as: cedar, violet, leather and orris with the patchouli for a cool ethereal patchouli leather scent. Borneo 1834 is good as well, but it does maintain its medicinal edges which bothers me a bit.

A good list for reviewing is Sloan's overview above.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 17th June 2009 at 10:51 AM.

Wow, some great posts here! Not much more I can add but my current favourite is Profumum's Patchouly (though not FBW as yet). Lutens’ Borneo came pretty close but wasn’t rich and tenacious enough for my tastes. I've also ordered a sample of Farmacia S.S. Annunziata's Patchouly Indonesiano (which should be with me next week) and will test Réminiscence’s Patchouli Elixir before the end of this week, while in Paris.

I would love to add a patchouli fragrance to my wardrobe but it has to be distinct enough not to remind me heavily of Tauer’s L’Air (which seems to contain plenty of patchouli and amber). I have a hunch that Farmacia S.S. Annunziata's interpretation may be what I’m looking for.
    Last edited by Trebor; 17th June 2009 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Wow, some great posts here! Not much more I can add but my current favourite is Profumum's Patchouly (though not FBW as yet). Lutens’ Borneo came pretty close but wasn’t rich and tenacious enough for my tastes. I've also ordered a sample of Farmacia S.S. Annunziata's Patchouly Indonesiano (which should be with me next week) and will test Réminiscence’s Patchouli Elixir before the end of this week, while in Paris.

I would love to add a patchouli fragrance to my wardrobe but it has to be distinct enough not to remind me heavily of Tauer’s L’Air (which seems to contain plenty of patchouli and amber). I have a hunch that Farmacia S.S. Annunziata's interpretation may be what I’m looking for.
    Have you tried Jalaine yet. My Wife and I share a bottle. We both like it very much. A little goes a long way. I haven't tried Profumum yet. I like Borneo. Farmacia is OK. Reminiscence is kind of nice. The other one I like is Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums.

thebeck, I haven't tried the Jalaine (for some reason, I've never felt compelled to) and Noir Patchouli was nice but nothing more (the Amber 114 is the only one FBW, from this house, IMHO). Since I haven't tried the Farmacia S.S. Annunziata and Réminiscence yet, I can't say if you'll enjoy the Profumum but it's defintely worth sampling.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Serge Lutens Borneo 1834. What can I say. I have yet to find a fragrance that smells as good on me as Borneo 1834. My Number One. I wear it at least three times a week. When I die, they will either embalm me with Borneo 1834 or place my ashes in some empty bell jars.
    Well said buddy.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th June 2009 at 03:09 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    thebeck, I haven't tried the Jalaine (for some reason, I've never felt compelled to) and Noir Patchouli was nice but nothing more (the Amber 114 is the only one FBW, from this house, IMHO). Since I haven't tried the Farmacia S.S. Annunziata and Réminiscence yet, I can't say if you'll enjoy the Profumum but it's defintely worth sampling.
    Did you sample 1740? I've purchased 2 - 10ml decants and went through them both. I love that leater immortelle thing. The Noir Patchouli was nice to my nose, but didn't get me to buy a decant. I'll order a sample of Profumum just for the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Did you sample 1740? I've purchased 2 - 10ml decants and went through them both. I love that leater immortelle thing. The Noir Patchouli was nice to my nose, but didn't get me to buy a decant. I'll order a sample of Profumum just for the fun of it.
    I ordered the sample pack directly from them - great value for money too! Unfortunately, they reminded me a lot of some of the Parfumerie Generale offerings. With regards to 1740, I've now come to the conclusion that immortelle (in large doses) and me just don't get on - I love the note but it often outstays its welcome (much to my annoyance).

I think Noir Patchouli would be a great scent for someone who finds the better patchouli scents too overwhelming or cloying.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Have you tried Jalaine yet. My Wife and I share a bottle. We both like it very much. A little goes a long way. I haven't tried Profumum yet. I like Borneo. Farmacia is OK. Reminiscence is kind of nice. The other one I like is Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums.
    The field of good patch fragrances is indeed a wide one. Both of these are very nice but they have their own personalities. I tried Jalaine because it has so many vocal and loyal fans. It is very potent and clearly is outstanding quality oil but it falls into the category of patchouli that ends on a sweet note using vanilla or amber to balance the patchouli. For this type of patchouli it is great, but I found I like the colder earthier patchouli blends like Farmacia Annunziata and even the Mazzolari Patchouli (the original patchouli in this thread) is more in this category. Mazzolari has amber but no vanilla (!) and it keeps the amber in check with a feral honey essence note that tones down the sweetness and places it back onto the wild side. I like the Mazzolari patchouli very much. The Histories de Parfums Noir Patchouli smelled really nice reminding me a bit of Voleur de Roses with its rose/geranium note - just not as plummy as VdR. It has an old fashioned patchouli fragrance sweetened with geranium that has a bit of green to it, but I kind of have a thing for these colder more raw patchouli's. The Noir Patchouli is definitely bottle worthy, but its just a different direction - maybe next year.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 17th June 2009 at 03:10 PM.

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to mention a very good patchouli scent I recently discovered. It's called Fifty by Pino Silvestre. It's a very good orange patchouli scent, and only costs $12 for a 2.6 oz. bottle! The patchouli note is quite prominent, but is rounded off nicely by what seems to be a mandarin orange note (or maybe bergamot, considering it's made in Italy). I'll warn though that sillage is awful - its a very close to the skin scent, but longevity is decent. It's definitely worth trying for patchouli lovers, especially at this price.

The newest patch I have tried is Profumo.it Hindu Kush. The main notes are patch and vetiver, very dry, smoky and leathery. Full bottle worthy, in my opinion

My favourite is Comme des Garcons Luxe Patchouli but you pay through the nose for it.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    My favourite is Comme des Garcons Luxe Patchouli but you pay through the nose for it.
    Yea.....I was checking out those prices. Damn !

With the cooler months soon enough to be upon us, this is a good thread in getting a jump on a nice patch frag.

I have only Molinard Patchouli for men. An El-cheapo that garners me compliments and leaves me almost dumbfounded. I have other frags of course with patch, but not dominant ones....and I will have to get another soon.

I have only Molinard Patchouli for men. An El-cheapo that garners me compliments and leaves me almost dumbfounded.
    AE, just wondering why you were dumbfounded, because people complimented you about the perfume or because it's such a good frag? I've gotten to really like patchouli recently and I can't help but have some interest in the Molinard, considering its low sticker price.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    AE, just wondering why you were dumbfounded, because people complimented you about the perfume or because it's such a good frag? I've gotten to really like patchouli recently and I can't help but have some interest in the Molinard, considering its low sticker price.
    Being dumbfounded seems to be a perpetual state for me.

At any rate, I paid $20 for a 100ml bottle of Molinard and find it's a pleasant. "airy" patchouli. I'm perplexed with the amount of compliments I've received from wearing this as opposed to all my other pricey frags. Amazing really......

However.....some of my personal favorites are relatively cheap in price, but get high marks for overall "awesomeness".