Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Patchouli-based fragrances

Just wondering what you all think is the single best patchouli-based (i.e., where patchouli is a dominant note) fragrance for men. I thought I hated patchouli (I always thought of head shop patchouli) until I tried Mazzolari Patchouly, which is the best patchouli fragrance I've ever smelled so far. Anything better out there??
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Default Re: Patchouli-based fragrances

Have you tried Patchouli by Réminiscence? It's an amber-y patch from the 70s, kind of hippy, but quite refined. Vintage Givenchy Gentleman is by far, the best blended, patch designer fragrance I've ever experienced. Happy hunting!

I've tried lots of patchouli predominant fragrances and the field of good patchouli blends is wide and deep. My personal favorite is Patchouly Indonesiano by Farmacia S.S. Annunziata. (Luckyscent). Patchouly Indonesiano has a slightly more damp earth (vetiver) feel to it than the Mazzolari which finishes with a bit of raw animal warmth in the base (from honey and amber).
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 12th June 2009 at 02:15 PM.

Montale Patchouli Leaves features a rather Givenchy Gentlemanesque handling of patchouli which I happen to dislike, but it may work for you.

Parfumerie Generale Intrigant Patchouli with it's slightly mentholated opening soothes and comforts as much as its animalic base teases. Profumum's Thundra treads a similar path, featuring a "damp earthy" feel, complete with rotting leaves.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Etro makes one, but I prefer something else going on, so a frag like Borneo 1834 appeals more to me.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th June 2009 at 05:47 AM.

MDM by Marc de la Morandiere

S-Perfume Lust
    Mazzolari Lui
    L'artisan Voleur De Roses

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur & Gantier, Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange, Voleur De Roses by l'Artisan Parfumeur and Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens are my favourite patchouly-based scents.

Patchouli - Molinard.
    It's cheap and lasts a long time!
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler is pretty patchoulli heavy!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I agree with Amit's suggestion of PG's Intrigant Patchouli and will add PG's LOmbre Fauve.

I love Rosine d'Homme. While I wouldn't call it patchouli-based, it's definitely in there, and does wonders for the rose!
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Bond No. 9 H.O.T. Always is a great patchouli/camphor scent that has incredible longevity and is anything but shy.

Nasomatto Hindu Grass also has a big patchouli hit, though much dryer and austere than the more saturated note in the Bond.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

ETRO patchouli is atomic,
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I too am on the hunt for my HG patchouli, and so far I give the nod to Profumum Patchouly. Unfortunately, it's obscenely expensive ($240/100mL at Luckyscent), so I'm trying to find a cheaper doppleganger. Buzzlepuff, the Patchouli Indonesiano sounds intriguing.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 16th June 2009 at 02:03 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

AromiErotici

I should have Molinard today if not tomorrow. For $20 shipped ( 100ml), I'm hoping it surprises me.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I should have Molinard today if not tomorrow. For $20 shipped ( 100ml), I'm hoping it surprises me.
    Please let us know what you think about the Molinard. At $20, that's hard to beat! I'm particularly interested how it compares to Mazzolari's patchouli. I'd love to get the Mazzolari, but I just paid $175 for Lui, and can't shell out another $175 (I'm trying to find someone who'll do a swap for Cypres-Musc or Goutal's Vetiver, both of which I have full bottles and are rare).
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Please let us know what you think about the Molinard. At $20, that's hard to beat! I'm particularly interested how it compares to Mazzolari's patchouli. I'd love to get the Mazzolari, but I just paid $175 for Lui, and can't shell out another $175 (I'm trying to find someone who'll do a swap for Cypres-Musc or Goutal's Vetiver, both of which I have full bottles and are rare).
    I have only sampled worn Mazzolari Lui and it's a beautiful frag. I can't imagine Molinard being even close, but I still expect it to be good.

I usually try a few sprays of juice right out in the Post Office parking lot, so as soon as I get it, I'll post up when I return home.

You should definitely try Straight to Heaven.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

I agree with Bigsly, Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens is my all-time favorite.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

For patchouli dominant scents (other accords besides patchouli), my favorites are Chanel Coromandel, SL Borneo 1834 and Etat Libre's Nobril Immense. Mugler Ice Men and Histoire des Parfums Patchouli Noir are honorable mentions.

For pure patchoulis, the Farmacia Anunziata that Buzzlepuff mentioned is excellent, plus those by Reminiscence (the edp is the best), Santa Maria Novella, and Montale. For an absurd amount of money the Profumum Patchouly is ver good, but $240 is excessive for a patchouli.

Sorry for the double post not sure how that happened.
    Last edited by shermanirving; 16th June 2009 at 04:46 AM.

L'Artisans Patchouli Patch is highly underrated. I don't see many people talk about it but I've liked it a lot more than a lot of other patchouli dominated fragrances. Has the note with a lot of nice, clean musk.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

I am a Patch lover and of the ones i tried Patchouli Antique is the best to me and fairly cheap to be niche. HIGHLY UNDERRATED!

Mojo from Gendarme is Patchouli abundant and is pretty inexpensive

Have to agree with Agent Zero's recommedation: Patchouli Patch by L' Artisan. Also agree with a couple other posters on their recommendation of L' Artisan's Voleur de Roses-georgeous patchouli with rose.

Blog Entries

My husband decided to search for his inner hippie a few years ago. He found it in patch frags. His favorite: LV Patchouli
    My favorites: George Sands, L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer, Patchouli Patch, Voleur de Roses, ETRO Patchouli, Jalaine Patchouli, and for an excellent & inexpensive patchouli Aveda. Oh, oh...Ava Luxe Sweet Patchouli is divine too.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    An amazing deal for such a fine fragrance. The patchouli is very vegetal and a little unfocused at first, but it comes together in 15 minutes and it stays solid for hours and hours.

L'Artisan's "Patchouli Patch" and Molinard's "Patchouli" have actually quite a bit in common. (The "first half" definitely, not so much the "second half" and "dry down"). ... They have much the same "type" of patchouli note and overall "feel" (L'Artisan's being quite a bit sweeter, and also less "musky"(Molinard has a very prominent synthetic musk). .... (But for the quite huge price difference here ... I would probably go with the Molinard one ! (However, on me, I found it somewhat fleeting though, and somewhat lacking in depth !) ....

BUT ...

However... Being both a Patch Luvrrr and "Junky" ! ... The two mentioned above would have been OK, had my nose not been totally "spoilt" by these other much much superior Patch's, such as : F SS Annunziata's "Patchouly Indonesiano" , Reminiscence's "Patchouli Elixir" and Profumum Roma's "Patchouly" ... All three of which are just "Patch Heaven" for a patch-luvrrr! ...
    (And here, I would suggest as an excellent much cheaper, but similar alternative - Les Nereides "Patchouli Antique" - Which isn't quite as excellent as the 3 above, but kinda similar ... but more importantly, pretty outstanding for it's price ! (And worlds better than the Molinard one too !).

Then, as for my two absolute "most delicious" patchouli notes, within a more rounded composition : I must say that nothing beats the patchouli in Chanels "Coromandel" (Just totally perfect and quite magnificent ! An ACE Frag' indeed ! ) .... And L'Artisans "Voleur de Roses" (If you don't mind the almost "rasberried" "plummy" rose, to go with the patch !)

For a different take on Patch', where the note comes across in a more "original" way (as in, perhaps not so instantly "recogniseably" patchy). Honourable mention should go to PG's "Intrigant Patchouli" . Which has an unusual but still quite gorgeous and pretty persistent "peak-a-boo" patch note at it's base ... that keeps catching your nose in surprise whiffs, at the most unexpected times, all through the evening ! ... And is quite captivating ! ...
    (I would also perhaps add this is a perfect one for someone who's not particularly a patch fan. As it might surprise you ! ... Also, it may take a few wearings to fully "get it" !)
    And the other honourable mention is ELd'Orange "Nombril Immense" - Even if just as a "must try once, at very least" ! - Personally, I really enjoyed it !

But lastly, ... if I really could have, only just the one ! ... Then I suppose I must say Coromandel has my heart !
    (But Patchouly Indonesiano is my hardcore Patchouli "fix" ! ... It really has everything I want/need from a patch centred frag !) ... (Come on, one is just soooo ridiculously impossible!!! (LOL)

From the more "mainstream" or even "golden oldies" - Givenchy - "Gentleman" is a "reference" patch classic ! ... And Mugler's "B*Men" and "Ice Men" are commendable, solid, patchouli rich compositions !

Now many of these have already been mentioned before, earlier in the thread .... But I thought "stressing them" might just "knock it home" ... just how exceptional these really are !

You really can't go wrong with any of the above ! ... (But I would say that the very best value for money, would be Les Nereides - Patchouli Antique !)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 18th June 2009 at 03:13 AM.

I think B*Men is to die for. I would call it delicious even. It's patchouli done right. Montale's Patchouli Leaves will knock your socks of initially. Very rugged stuff that wears down to something quite nice.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 13th June 2009 at 03:02 AM.