Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Aoud Lime suitable for man?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes very wearable by a man

37 61.67%
  • No, not at all, very feminine

0 0%
  • Montale sells it as unisex, there is your answer

15 25.00%
  • bad choice for man or woman

8 13.33%

Default Montale Lime Aoud

I really like it but I have second thoughts about the "gender" issue. I have tried it several times and seems to smell very feminine on me. This is a monster sillage and longevity champion also, which I appreciate very much.
    I would like to make a poll on how many of you consider Lime wearable by man or not. I know the question is relative but I am sure it will give me an indication of how do you people understand Aoud Lime wore by a man.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: Montale Lime Aoud

Wow, Aoud Lime as feminine? This is one unisex scent that I could never imagine on a woman, ever.

I've worn my sample quite a few times. It doesn't make me feel feminine.

Basteri,
    u already know what i think about it

Completely unisex veering towards masculine IMO

Sur la Plage

I think it is more masculine than feminine.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

I think it smells great and just green. It is good to layer. I noticed a leather accord when I first wore it and bought it to wear next to Chanel Cuir de Russie, to boost the leather. It's really interesting & almost gourmand.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Wow, Aoud Lime as feminine? This is one unisex scent that I could never imagine on a woman, ever.
    could not have said it better....

Blog Entries

My impression of Aoud Lime is, "Oh, okay, aoud and lime." It didn't strike me as particularly feminine, but it was a little too sweet and straightforward for my taste.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

i cant imagine a women wearing this. I wear it all the time!

Unisex but more masculine than feminine, IMO. I kinda like it. My wife detests it. Hence, it's out of the picture.

"Aoud" - Is it supposed to be pronounced like the Warren Zevon song? - "Aoooooooooooud...Werewolves of London"

I am wearing Aoud Lime with extra aoud. This juice is so potent that I feel like I bath myself on it.
    It smells really wear on me, it has a mosquito repellent note that bothers me, like a vinegar twist in there.

i understadn what u mean with the vinegar twist.
    there is somthing sour there going on.

I think it's definitely masculin. But to be sure, now I've put some from my sample on my arm.
    No, no way for a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I am wearing Aoud Lime with extra aoud. This juice is so potent that I feel like I bath myself on it.
    It smells really wear on me, it has a mosquito repellent note that bothers me, like a vinegar twist in there.
    I thought of it as more masculine myself, but on a first wear I did not like it. I will revisit it.

Regardless it sounds as if at least part of the development is distasteful to you.

well, it is not distasteful to be honest, it is just "unfamiliar" , nothing that I tried before smells like it. I am totally amazed by the sillage and longevity... this is just too much, I thought I will never say "too much" but... it is. It stays in the clothing for ever, in the body, in the room, in the car, must be thermo nuclear technology applied in the fragrance industry.

Feminine?! You must be joking! If Lime Aoud is femiinine then Kouros must be for drag queens.

so.. you are saying that Lime is masculine?

I am a bit surprised that 41 people (so far) have an opinion on this fragrance and have participated in this poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Feminine?! You must be joking! If Lime Aoud is femiinine then Kouros must be for drag queens.
    And if kouros is for drag queens, then trebor used to be a boy in basenotes!

Getting "extra" in Oud Lime is like putting sugar in you Coca Cola
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

duck in my defense I must say that a very kind fellow basenoter sent me a very generous sample of extra lime ( I never tried the standard Montale Lime)

And NO ONE thinks it is very feminine thus far!

Lime does not bode well with oudh, so you can probably guess what I voted for. Its not feminine, quite masculine rather, but it comes out just WEIRD. Perhaps I'm just too used to the suede-like blending of roses, patchouli, and oudh of black aoud.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    Lime does not bode well with oudh, so you can probably guess what I voted for. Its not feminine, quite masculine rather, but it comes out just WEIRD. Perhaps I'm just too used to the suede-like blending of roses, patchouli, and oudh of black aoud.
    But this is a rose oudh blend!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    But this is a rose oudh blend!
    I don't really get any floral notes, just a bitter lime skin and oudh combination.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I think it's one of my all time favorite frags...really! I love it. And, remember, there is no lime in it...it's just an illusion. Yes, it is strong but so odd and wonderful.

I love its harsh and aggressive nature. Actually, I find Aoud Lime quite erotic to wear...

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    I think it's one of my all time favorite frags...really! I love it. And, remember, there is no lime in it...it's just an illusion. Yes, it is strong but so odd and wonderful.
    i used the think the same (the lime part)...but then when i sampled Aromatic Lime, it made sense. please do sample Aromatic Lime...the lime in here is pretty concentrated, giving it a very stark, bitter note, like a very highly concentrated lime note. i wud like ot believe that Oudh Lime uses the same structure of Aromatic Lime with Oudh added. would love to hear your thoughts on same.
    Last edited by jenson; 11th June 2009 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i used the think the same (the lime part)...but then when i sampled Aromatic Lime, it made sense. please do sample Aromatic Lime...the lime in here is pretty concentrated, giving it a very stark, bitter note, like a very highly concentrated lime note. i wud like ot believe that Oudh Lime uses the same structure of Aromatic Lime with Oudh added. would love to hear your thoughts on same.
    Aromatic Lime was one of my least favorite montales; actually one of only two that I actively dislike.

I agree with your assessment of the lime as stark and bitter; I prefer brighter lime presentations.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 11th June 2009 at 10:58 PM.

I agree with Trebor, it is harsh and crude and overly sour but that is exactly why it appeals to me. I'm thinking of buying a full bottle when my sample runs out, and maybe I will get it extra-concentrated.
    Last edited by monsieur_sparkle; 11th June 2009 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Aromatic Lime was one of my least favorite montales; actually one of only two that I actively dislike.

I agree with your assessment of the lime as stark and bitter; I prefer brighter lime presentations.
    Im with you on Aromatic Lime...i was totally repelled by it when i tested it...but then, i simple cudnt resist it's drydown...the lime notes gets pretty smoother and brighter; especially after 1 1/2 hrs or so...slowly but steadily i started to appreciate the chaotic opening accords...but that was just to get to the phase it after couple of hours.... i have seen people sellin of 100ml of this juice and can relate to how overwhelmed they might feel owning 100 ml of this juice...all it requires is 1 - 2 sprays. 20 ml of it would be ideal to have in any collection, and probably would find more appreciation then

Basteri: Sorry to have steered away from the topic

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    I don't really get any floral notes, just a bitter lime skin and oudh combination.
    What you get as bitter lime skin is in fact a Fata Morgana of the nose, or deception of brain cells through the nose ! It is a special combination of rose and iris which causes the 'lime' effect. Whether or not the saffron also has to do with has slipped my memory. This has first been discussed and seemingly accepted in 2006/07, but with an ever changing community that knowledge got lost. By the way, not everybody's senses / brain cells are being fooled. You will occasionally hear by individuals who do not smell the lime but roses instead.

I enjoy this perfume tremendously, and the fact that no lime is involved at all appeals to my sense of humor.
    Last edited by narcus; 12th June 2009 at 08:53 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

i donno if theres is lime or not but it does make a sense that there is rose oil
    in Aoud lime.

It is not just Aoud and limes.
    Aoud, pure Aoud smells sometimes like lether and sometime is woody medicinal.
    In Aoud lime it doesnt smell to me like lether nor medecinal. It is more than just Aoud and lime.

If it was Just Aoud and lime than u couldn't have buy it for just €100 for the 100ml.

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    i donno if theres is lime or not but it does make a sense that there is rose oil in Aoud lime. It is not just Aoud and limes. Aoud, pure Aoud smells sometimes like lether and sometime is woody medicinal. In Aoud lime it doesnt smell to me like leather nor medecinal. It is more than just Aoud and lime. If it was Just Aoud and lime than u couldn't have buy it for just €100 for the 100ml.
    I don't know what happened to the fragrance details Montale had originally shown on their website before major revisisons in 2007-08 . I mainly miss the fragrance classificications which showed Aoud Lime (Black Aoud, not the other rose oudhs) as masculines. But their French website still lists ingredients, and the current description of Aoud Lime mentions:

- Oudh (wood) from the Pakistani mountain region
    - Indian rose
    - Italian Iris
    - Sandalwood
    - Saffron
    - Amber
    - Patchouli

However: no limes were involved. That speaks for the artistry, I find. What is generally being overlooked (in the west): they also use different oudhs for different perfumes.
    ps: Correcting a prior error: it's the rose and iris (not rose and sandalwood) which lead to fooling the nose.
    Last edited by narcus; 12th June 2009 at 09:01 AM.

Narcus,

U do have a point here!!

On the Montale site u still can read that Aoud lime is made of
    Oudh (wood) from the Pakistani mountain region
    - Indian rose
    - Italian Iris
    - Sandalwood
    - Saffron
    - Amber
    - Patchouli

there is no lime mentiond.

There are many AOUD'S. and i can tell you that montale doesnt use allot of it in his perfumes.
    You know me and u know that i love them.... but i cant say they are oud based.

Aoud based would mean that a biggest part of the formula should be aoud
    and than buid it up with other oils.

I have few arabian ouds, all of them are mixes but i still can smell the aoud's.
    While with montales u really need to detect them.

In white oud for instance i get more roses , safron and vanilla than oud.
    Ans with Original moud of montale i smell the typical kuwaitian aoud in the last stage of the devolepment.

So, can we say that they are oud based ?
    Or is it better to say that they are perfumes with Aoud in the formula??

i have now some Aoud lime on my wriste and it is true narcus.
    This is the first time i smell the roses and i do seperate the different notes that fool the nose.
    i always have smelld the safron... i am veru sensetive to it in a good way.
    but never the roses and iris.

Thanx man

The little I found is just a corn in a bag full of rice, Moreda! I believe next to everything you say regarding those true orientals. I always respect the close familiarity with oriental perfumes you and other men from the east naturally have! And I try and learn and remember everything I can in this field. It was as late as 2006 that I had a first direct experience with Montale perfumes myself. I smelled the first authentic oud oils in different qualities a few months later. This changed my world of smells dramatically and it changed my preferences permanently.

When I refer to Montale perfumes as "based on oud" our "oud based" I mean that particular line under the "Aouds Attars" caption on their website as opposed to the others not containing any oud, and captioned "Eau de Parfum". They did have some real lime in this latter category once, too, and some men felt it did not last well at all. I now don't see it any more.
    Last edited by narcus; 12th June 2009 at 02:27 PM.

So basteri, have we affected your opinion at all?

to some extent you have encouraged me to wear it and erase the idea from my mind that is best suited for woman..