Code of Conduct

Default Punch up a fern scent

I got a great "fern" FO that smells light yet earthy. But it's so faint that it will need something to boost it up a notch in the strength dept. or to help it last longer - ideally both. I got it at Wellington Fragrances and was told it was "all natural" meaning there isn't any DP in it (I tried adding that but it didn't extend the length or make it any stronger, just maintained the initial scent longer). Any suggestions? Or any suggestions on how to blend it with other FOs? Thanks for any advice

Blog Entries

Default Re: Punch up a fern scent

Hi, aromagal,

I've always read that ferns have no scent and that the name fougere for a whole class of fragrances was, ah, poetic license. Can you describe your fern scent a little more? You say "earthy." It that like patchouli or something more herbal? Is there anything sweet or woody or citrus in it? And I'm drawing a blank trying to remember what DP stands for.

Fragrance oils are typically not natural--the scent probably is a synthetic aromachemical.
    Last edited by Asha; 4th July 2009 at 04:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Asha,
    How about "perfume oils?" I have three soliflores I bought in Hawaii that I quite like.

Aromagal,
    I asked about the different notes you might smell in your fern FO to get an idea of what might compliment it. If it's earthy and short-lived, then maybe patchouli could combine to give an earthy base that's prominant in the beginning with other top notes and also last through to the bottom. I've diluted a patchouli EO to about 1% and find the note like fresh-turned earth in a garden.

Thanks EC, as mentioned this is an FO not an EO, and thus completely synthetic. Fern is just the name. It smells sort of woodsy, grassy, dirty. Unfortunately, what I've found is that the Wellington FOs I bought are, well, faint. Even the oak moss and vetiver are so weak they evaporate within minutes. So I guess my question is moot as I go in search of something similar from another house.

EC, I would think that a perfume oil would simply be a personal fragrance in oil form. I have a perfume oil from Red Flower that is definitely not a single-note fragrance, although it happens to be natural and organic.