Code of Conduct

Default Today Is A Special Day

Today I Will Be Applying For My Trademark For A Perfume/Cologne That I Have Made. After I Apply, I Won't Know If It Is Granted Until About 3 Months Later. I'm Excited And Worried At The Same Time. Please Pray For Me That Everything Goes Well. I'm So Nervous About It. As Soon As I Get Notification Of Approval, I Will Reveal The Special Name That I've Chosen. Thanks For Reading & God Bless You All.
    Last edited by lilkcceleb; 15th June 2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Spelling Errors

Default Re: Today Is A Special Day

You mean you registered for an (R)? I think that trademarks (TM) are free and that you only pay for (R) and it gives better legal protection.

A trademark for the name of the cologne or the cologne itself? I thought you couldn't copyright a scent, at least in the US? Or is trademark different from copyright?

From my understanding on this whole thing:

You can trademark a brand or a name eg the name "Christian Dior J'Adore". But as for the scent itself, you cannot patent a scent the way you can patent a drug. That is, you cannot sue if someone else makes a scent that smells pretty much the same but has different composition, even by only a few chemicals.

You can patent the process used to create the scent if it involves a new kind of chemical process and it is deemed novel enough by the patent office. But you're patenting that particular chemical process, not the scent itself. The big frag makers won't patent these because it will give away their trade secret - hence them and their "captive" molecules.

How much does a trademark cost?

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    From my understanding on this whole thing:

You can trademark a brand or a name eg the name "Christian Dior J'Adore". But as for the scent itself, you cannot patent a scent the way you can patent a drug. That is, you cannot sue if someone else makes a scent that smells pretty much the same but has different composition, even by only a few chemicals.

You can patent the process used to create the scent if it involves a new kind of chemical process and it is deemed novel enough by the patent office. But you're patenting that particular chemical process, not the scent itself. The big frag makers won't patent these because it will give away their trade secret - hence them and their "captive" molecules.
    I Only Trademarked A name So No One Else Can Use It. It Cost $325 which are processing fees and non refundable.