Code of Conduct

Default Truly scentless carrier oil?

I'm currently using Isopropyl Myristate as the carrier for my perfume oils but I'm noticing the smell of the IPM more and more. I can't really tell if the smell is growing (edit: in intensity due to the aging process/corrosion?) or if my nose is simply becoming more and more aware of it, but I can actually smell it in some of the perfumes I make. It almost has the smell of a freshly inflated/new raft.

Are there any carrier oils with absorption properties like IPM that are relatively "scentless" in comparison?

Thanks
    Last edited by flouris; 12th June 2009 at 10:49 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Truly scentless carrier oil?

Disclaimer: I've only ever dabbled at making my own perfumes.

I used fractionated coconut oil (which is liquid) and found it truly odorless. Whether it has the other properties you are looking for, I don't know.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to use Isopropyl myristate, unless you are using your essential oils for medicinal applications, where skin absorption is desirable. For perfumery, where the application is for topical scent display and silage, I would use (of course) perfumers alcohol, or if you must use an oil, jojoba, which is actually a wax, is scentless, stable, and stays on the skin surface better than many other saturated vegetable fats.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Nymphaea,

I've read about people using jojoba, but my bottle of Hobacare jojoba is not odorless. I was always concerned that its odor would interfere with my fragrance. Hence the fractionated coconut oil...

30 Roses, I agree with you that fractionated coconut oil is a very good choice also. All my jojoba oil is odorless. (Perhaps yours became contaminated with something somewhere down the line?) Anyway, not disagreeing with you at all. Jojoba and FCO are both good choice replacements.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Nymphaea, what brand of jojoba do you use? I might just switch brands.

Right now I have a bottle of Desert Essence and a bottle of Now Jojoba Oil...both are fine oils...but there are so many out there. I know Eden Botanical has it, and most health food and essential oil companies that have a fairly quick turn-over should have excellent oils to purchase. But perhaps you have a very refined nose and really may not be satisfied with jojoba, as Hobacare should be an very good product.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    Right now I have a bottle of Desert Essence and a bottle of Now Jojoba Oil...both are fine oils...but there are so many out there. I know Eden Botanical has it, and most health food and essential oil companies that have a fairly quick turn-over should have excellent oils to purchase. But perhaps you have a very refined nose and really may not be satisfied with jojoba, as Hobacare should be an very good product.
    Thanks for the information, Nymphaea. I might just try one more bottle of jojoba, one of the other brands you mentioned, to see if they smell the same as the Hobacare.

I don't actually mind the smell of plain jojoba on my skin; I was just concerned that it would affect the smell of my perfumes. Logically what I really ought to do is just try making some perfume oil with it and see for myself whether the smell of jojoba makes a difference or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    30 Roses, I agree with you that fractionated coconut oil is a very good choice also. All my jojoba oil is odorless. (Perhaps yours became contaminated with something somewhere down the line?) Anyway, not disagreeing with you at all. Jojoba and FCO are both good choice replacements.
    Thanks both of you for the posts. Would you say there are any pros/cons between using Jojoba oil vs coconut oil? Are either of these greasy or lotion-esque? I'm hoping for something that dries neat.

Thanks

Blog Entries

I've used Desert Essence jojoba oil, a fragrance free Vitamin E oil from Rite Aid and the Neutragena Fragrance Free Body Oil. I like the way they all feel & I don't get any smell from any of them. I think they help the fragrance last longer than alcohol.

Fickle as this may seem, are there any carriers that are colorless in addition to scentless? Jojoba, coconut and grapeseed all have that yellow-ish tint that I don't care for.