Code of Conduct

Exclamation HEAT WAVE!!! Suggestions?

Well, we're having this huge 90+ degree F heat wave in Fort Wayne right now that might extend for weeks (never mind that the weather forecasters are not that accurate here, even with Pinpoint VIPIR HD). As a result, 90% of my fragrance collection is virtually unusable until October. Even my holy grails. And man cannot survive on Mugler Cologne alone.

So I need some emergency fragrance suggestions, as I'm going to go fragrance shopping tomorrow. As for local retailers: In this "emergency situation", I have access locally to Macy's, Von Maur, Ulta, and Perfumania. (No niche, please.) Anyone have suggestions? Feel free to take a look at my wardrobe, too.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 27th June 2009 at 02:25 AM.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: HEAT WAVE!!! Suggestions?

Monsieur Balmain should be easy to find and is a good choice for summer.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Sunset Heat is my favorite summer scent. I get compliments almost every time I wear it.

You probably have already smelled AdG, 360 red, PH Just Me, Unbound, and True Religion. I

really like all of these a lot, especially for summer. The True Religion should be at Macys.
    sb[]p

Azzaro Chrome

Rive Gauche

Tommy Bahama
    - E.J.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport works well for me in Memphis heat and humidity.

I got a giant bottle of 4711 at a Ft Wayne TJ Maxx--may be worth a try. I have found most of the Bulgari fragrances to be pretty light, also (except for Black). Perfumania also has alot of Calvin Klein, so maybe they will have CKOne, et al.

Versace Man Eau Fraiche!

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Well, we're having this huge 90+ degree F heat wave in Fort Wayne right now that might extend for weeks (never mind that the weather forecasters are not that accurate here, even with Pinpoint VIPIR HD). As a result, 90% of my fragrance collection is virtually unusable until October. Even my holy grails. And man cannot survive on Mugler Cologne alone.

So I need some emergency fragrance suggestions, as I'm going to go fragrance shopping tomorrow. As for local retailers: In this "emergency situation", I have access locally to Macy's, Von Maur, Ulta, and Perfumania. (No niche, please.) Anyone have suggestions? Feel free to take a look at my wardrobe, too.
    Heat Wave? Give me a break Dude! The weather is worse everyday in the Houston summers. Today it was 103 degrees fahrenheit with about 99% humidity. Simply lovely weather.

I will try to focus on topic and provide my best guidance if I can. My favorite summer fragrances are:

Tiffany for Men Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste (Very masculine and refreshing even in the heat)
    Mugler Cologne (Will soon be acquiring a nice big very refreshing bottle!)
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Millesime Imperial

I am sure that you will get many other suggestions from those of us that live in fairly hot climates. I also very much anticipate my friends in Lagos and Mumbai correcting me about how bad their weather is compared to the lovely climate of Houston.

Good Luck,

TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 27th June 2009 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Spelling!

90 F is the normal everyday temperature over here.

My survival kit includes Hermes Concentrée D'Orange Verte, YSL Jazz and Live Jazz, Versace PH and Clinique Happy.

You could try some of your heavier stuff during the heat wave too. I have tried a few orientals and gourmands before and works out just fine.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 27th June 2009 at 03:41 AM.

Sur la Plage

In Ulta, try Aramis New West Skinscent for Him.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

You seem to be a bit citrus light in your wardrobe. Do these shops you mention have Acqua di Parma Colonia - it seems to be pretty widely distributed these days? Or second the Hermes EdOV. How about Bulgari Eau de The Verte - pretty cooling?

absolutely, I recommend you give CH 212 Men a try. I know this has been out a while and departments don't carry it but sephora carries it. It was amazing today. I had forgotten just how much I like this. It is fresh, cool, and a hint of clean musk to smooth it out. It just sings. I wore it to my MA class tonight and the harder I sweat, the harder it worked to keep me fresh. Its great!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I think Kouros is great in the summer heat.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Light Blue
    Nautica Voyage

Highly recommend Bijan Nude, although to be honest I have never tried it in that kind of heat.

Blog Entries

Yes, this is the time of year when I don't snicker at and belittle my sport fragrances, but heap praise upon them instead.

Acqua di Gio - 90+ is when I truly appreciate this one
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport & Sport Cologne - perfect for ridiculous heat
    Tiffany for Men Sport - the designer golf shirt of sport frags - extremely classy, yet not too formal

Good luck, and stay

You seem to be lacking citruses, traditional colognes, chypres, and florals. Allure Homme Sport is an easy pick at the mall, or order something like Pour Monsieur (original), Eau de Guerlain, Terre d'Hermes, or Diorella. If you want niche try Eau Neuve de Lubin, ELDO Je Suis Un Homme, or even Creed Bois de Cedrat/Citrus Biggarade.

Oeillet D'Inde by Montale

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Greenergy by Givenchy but probably not available locally, only online.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Hugo XY if you can find it. A very cold and refreshing mint oriented fragrance.

Also, Versace PH, AdP Colonia, Calvin Klein Man (another minty fragrance.. a bit heavier than XY but still very wearable in the heat), L'eau Par Kenzo, Live Jazz, Allure Blanche, Boss Pure.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 27th June 2009 at 04:31 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

L' eau par Kenzo pour Homme
    Second the Monsieur Balmain suggestion

Another one to consider is Infusion d'Iris - it's lighter than Infusion d'Homme.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Dior Eau Sauvage
    Cartier Declaration
    Givenchy Vetiver

I'll second Escada Sunset Heat, Perry Ellis 360 Degrees Red, and Hugo XY. They preform amazingly in the heat, and are cheap enough to buy to wear for a few weeks. My local Marshalls has Sunset Heat gift sets for 25 dollars, 360 Red gift sets for 30 dollars, and 1.7oz bottles of XY for 25.

Blog Entries

I'm still sold on Lacoste Essential (broken record..k..kk..kk).

Armani Eau pour homme.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    Heat Wave? Give me a break Dude! The weather is worse everyday in the Houston summers. Today it was 103 degrees fahrenheit with about 99% humidity. Simply lovely weather.

I will try to focus on topic and provide my best guidance if I can. My favorite summer fragrances are:

Tiffany for Men Sport
    Creed Millesime Imperial

I am sure that you will get many other suggestions from those of us that live in fairly hot climates. I also very much anticipate my friends in Lagos and Mumbai correcting me about how bad their weather is compared to the lovely climate of Houston.

Good Luck,

TJ
    Fellow Houstonian lol :P You think Platinum Egoiste works well in this crazy heat wave? I've tried it before and it didn't seem that bad to me but I don't know what others are thinking when I am near them so I don't wear it much in 90+ but now I will give it another shot.

I will also second the L'eau par Kenzo suggestion by fraddicted, I just got it today in the mail and I think it would be perfect for super hot weather, can't wait to test it out. Also Nautica Voyage is a good choice too but I prefer the Kenzo.

Expensive, on the line of classic eaux de colognes:

Dior's Eau Sauvage
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    Hermés Eau d'Orange Verte

Classic eaux de cologne:

Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle (not expensive), or any of Guerlain's classic eaux (expensive).

Inexpensive:

Vetiver de Zara - a good summer Vetiver

These are outstanding eaux de cologne, very inexpensive and high quality, not easy to find in the USA, though:

Agua de Pravia 1905
    1916, by Myrurgia
    Agua de Colonia Alvarez Gómez

I don't know if these are available in the stores in your area, but they are readily available online at reasonable prices:

Hugh Parsons Blue
    Opium Eau d'Orient

I like Ice*Men for the heat. Especially the top notes.

It was 108 F in Austin yesterday, and Guerlain's Vetiver performed beautifully!

Tiffany for Men Sport
    Creed Millesime Imperial

Good Luck,

TJ
    And i thought the heat in florida in the summer was bad. A friend of mine was in houston and he said it was like having a 100 blankets piled on top of him lol.

Bulgari Aqua
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Dependent

Just got back from my short trip to Malacca, Malaysia where the weather was well over 33deg cels, i brought along Bvlgari PH, Loewe Solo and Creed VIW(disregard since its niche) and they were perfect during the sweaty street walking...
    Last edited by MFJ; 28th June 2009 at 05:43 AM.

I would recommend Azzaro Now from Perfumania.

I'd say get yourself a bottle of Montana pour homme (Blue box)...it can be had for less than 20bucks on ebay for a big 100ml....amazing lemon/musk scent for summer....lasts for a long time as well...

Just like you I love Mugler Cologne during summer and I use MpH blue box on days I am not wearing Mugler col.

Second Platinum Egoiste. Applied correctly, it truly is a delicious scent in hot/humid climates.

Azzaro Chrome, Armani Code, YSL Rive Gauche, and in certain circumstances Kenzo pour Homme have also served me well. But really, any fragrance applied sparingly, shouldn't be too powerful or overwhelming, except perhaps real powerhouses like Kouros...

only 32C and u call it heat wave? it was 45C~ in australia a few months back lol. Anyway go get some polo blue
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

While I agree Kouros can be very nice in summer...applied lightly...I concur with those above mentioning AdG. It is reliably comfortable in the most extreme heat and humidity. I go through a bottle a year and I've got fifty others to choose from.

90º+ F is hot? We had to put up with 115º F down here 5 months ago.

I use lots of scents for stinking hot days.

But the core ones I gravitate to when I also want to radiate freshness are Azzaro Chrome, Dali's Laguna and Tommy T.
    Renato

Blog Entries

Smile Re: HEAT WAVE!!! Suggestions?

Guerlain Vetiver should do nicely.

In my book for a time the cleanest and freshest scent is JPG La Cologne Fleur du Male. Almost bitter, extremely clean soap, then a light fresh flower.
    But more guys from the States have complained that it is not on the shelves there.
    Last edited by Sandy; 28th June 2009 at 08:58 PM.

You guys complain about heat in all your tropic countries. Tell me how ya feel in 0F or -17.8C weather with 30 mph winds. At that point you just need to make sure that you put on your fragrance well before going outside, lest it freezes on your skin. Lol. Thankfully, I rarely have to deal with 100F+ wear I live, 90 is hot enough.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    You guys complain about heat in all your tropic countries. Tell me how ya feel in 0F or -17.8C weather with 30 mph winds. At that point you just need to make sure that you put on your fragrance well before going outside, lest it freezes on your skin. Lol. Thankfully, I rarely have to deal with 100F+ wear I live, 90 is hot enough.
    My bad, and point taken Phil, in all honesty, along with many ppl i know locally, we're somewhat jealous of seasonal weathers not available to us... thus my occasional whining

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    My bad, and point taken Phil, in all honesty, along with many ppl i know locally, we're somewhat jealous of seasonal weathers not available to us... thus my occasional whining
    Lol, I was just making a joke Matt. I guess it didn't come off as one in the text. But seriously I could NEVER imagine living somewhere that doesn't have all 4 seasons. It keeps me sane, I love the cold weather.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Dependent

Ooops...I really am very slow with humor a lot of times. And with all that niche you have going on, of which I probably know only 5% of, you really would not enjoy the humidity and sweat that makes even the sportier scents turn sourish
    Last edited by MFJ; 28th June 2009 at 05:38 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Good Luck,

TJ
    Sorry for checking in late from Lagos. 103 degrees is just what we call hot these global-warming days (more accurately, it usually is for a short while during days, and with it comes monsoon-type rains).

I have learned to appreciate regional differences in peoples' tastes, scent/season wise, but all the frags in my wardrobe are worn here all year round. A lot of time is spent in air-conditioned spaces and cars though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I just purchased Versace PH. It is very good, fresh, excellent for summer

my fav hot weather Creeds are Neroli Sauvage and Selection Verte

The Favs in my wardrobe for scorchers would be Versace Man Eau Fraiche, Adidas Moves, Polo Blue and Azzaro Chrome.

I think you've already been shopping, but if you're still looking (and who isn't :P) I would suggest Cartier - Eau De Cartier Concentrée, if you like green scents.

It is amazing in it's opening (VERY green, think fresh-cut grass), but not overly powerful when applied correctly. The drydown is truly something to behold though, it's amazing. That's why this one is on my top shelf.

I see u have a couple from bond. Just came back from daytona beach and my coney island worked great. Maybe dolce light blue,bulgari aqua,channel sport even lacoste green.

ADP Colonia.

I Hate Winter! I Hate Cold Weather! I Love Summer! I Love Hot Weather!

I moved south in large parts to get the heck away from any snow, etc. I LOATHE rain, clouds and snow!

Gimme sunny days! Gimme heat!

That said, my ADG is good today. Versace Homme, TDH are also good.

Did I mention I hate winter? I don't really need 4 seasons. I had them for 37 years and I don't miss winter at all.

It was 102 degrees on Sunday in Los Angeles (according to google). It was so hot, I just slept in through the afternoon not wearing anything. I find myself skipping cologne more often in the hot days. I guess its because I'm kinda scared how much sillage ill put out, or what it will smell like mixed with dripping sweat.

My default last year, when I had like two bottles, was either Terre D'Hermes or Mugler Cologne. I still have TdH for the hot days, but Mugler Cologne is long gone. I miss it
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Surprised at some of the suggestions here...
    Rive Gauche as a hot-weather frag? Errr....
    Doing that outdoors in Manila (hello, hot-sticky weather...) will be like bathing in sticky gooey slick IMHO ...

Purchased Adolfo Dominguez Agua Fresca as my beach frag for our beach season (March to June) and it worked fine, same with AD Alegria (but I'm sure some peeps here will suggest better aquatics than this...)

Thanks for the X/Y suggestions on the thread, at least I have an excuse to buy it now as it works well in warm weather (we've been having a 3-day dry-spell at the onset of our wet and sticky rainy season).

I live in Arizona (DRY HEAT)... And I usually focus more on fragrances that are "spring/summer time" type scents. Of my meager collection, I feel that Chrome is the best hot weather fragrance I own. Honorable mentions go to GIT, Creed OV, Chanel AHS, and Hugh Parsons Blue (which makes for a fabulous evening time summer frag imo).

Try L'Alta Follia d' Aquarama, too. Excellent summer scent.

Its touching 90 here in the UK today which is too much for me and my Montales have bugger all longevity on me in these temps

I bought A small bottle of Cool Water to keep me busy, untill I have sampled some more "hot weather" frags.

Tried some designers today and love Gucci Pour Homme II on first encounter.

What are you're experiences with Gucci pour Homme II in hot weather?