Code of Conduct

Thread: Brut EDT

Default Brut EDT

In the UK, in recent years anyway, I've only ever come across Brut (I'm referring to the original Brut not it's variants) in the plastic Splash on bottle, or the aftershave splash on.

But whilst on holiday this week I stumbled across the newly released Brut EDT being sold in "The Perfume Shop". I was quite surprised since I've never seen Brut anywhere other than in amongst the Lynx/Axe and cheapo scents. I've certainly NEVER seen Brut in a classy looking glass bottle with a SPRAY.

Apparently The Perfume Shop are now stocking up on the Brut EDT due to a massive demand and will be selling it alongside the more "in" scents, although naturally not quite as pricey.

I had a nice chat with the bird who worked behind the counter and she was saying how apparently a lot of women actually LIKE the scent and the demand has been building for quite some time.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed the difference in the scent of the EDT compared to the regular splash ons? The moment I smelt it, it reminded me of my dear old uncle from when I was younger... would you say the scent has changed over the years? I only really got into Brut in recent years and never knew my uncle used to wear it... but it would seem he did!
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

I like what I like, so sue me!

Default Re: Brut EDT

I have owned this version (clear glass bottle, 100 ml yellow liquid.) for several years now, and I find it rather good. The green plastic splash bottles clearly do not contain the same liquid. They too smell of the original Brut, like... a raw version of it, and all from the lab. The more expensive version (price comparable to Guerlains Vetiver) has probably a different mix of muscs now. I believe I can smell that clearly. (It used to be nitro musc, potentially carcinogenic.) The Jasmin also is not being picked by hand any longer, and maybe it isn't the delicious overdose either. . - But under the circumstances - better this than no Brut at all! I am quite happy, and find it very refreshing in the summer! I don't use it for nights out any longer, but that's me now as opposed to 20 years earlier. (It still works to attract positive attention, wherever...!)
    Last edited by narcus; 14th June 2009 at 06:10 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

This is the one I got (although for some reason the pictured bottle doesn't show it's a spray.)

http://www.theperfumeshop.com/pws/Pr...&redirect=true
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

Thanks for the picture, Robo. That looks like the original one, but probably is just the juice formerly sold in the plastic bottle ? I wonder what the small print says. Mine has Brut Eau de Toilette ORIGINAL on the front. The crest on mine is pressed into the bottle (which looks like the 'Brut Original' in the BN directory, except the liquid now is yellow. On the back of my bottle it says: Parfums Fabergé, a Unilever brand. (plus the Unilever France and Brussels addresses, etc. plus a serial number). I bought that one from a regular perfume shop here, and I believe it's authentic. I therefore believe there could be two versions floating around, one under the original Fabergé license, and the other by 'Parf...Pres...?' (see bottle neck). The pyramid quoted for it is the same as the one shown in the directory for the original of 1964. £ 7.00 would be very cheap for a classic original.

Off topic: the Perfume Shop have Blue Stratos too! It's the first men's cologne L.Turin has written about in Folio. BS was originally not sold in central Europe, I believe, because I had never heard about it before, nor seen the label.
    Last edited by narcus; 14th June 2009 at 06:18 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The Brut in the Perfume Shop picture is the recent Unilever edition, and it is indeed a spray bottle (if you look closely [use the magnifier by running the cursur over the image] between the bottom of the silver cap and the top of the black label you will see the tube).

I bought a bottle a few months ago and it remains true to the original version i used in the late 70's. Classic frag.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Thanks for the picture, Robbo. That looks like the original one, but probably is just the juice formerly sold in the plastic bottle ?
    Like I said before... it's DEFINITELY not the same juice as the stuff in the plastic bottle. The initial impression upon spraying is it's nothing like the stuff I'm used to, but as it drys down it becomes more familiar. But the smell of the initial spray sends me back to the 1980s when my uncle was still alive... it was a surprise memory jog when I caught the first whiff of this new Brut cologne... so I deduct that my uncle used to wear Brut and the reason I never got that memory jog before was because the Brut I've been using is slightly different to that of the older version which seems to have made a comeback here in this new EDT.

AFAIK, Brut was sold on by Faberge as it can no longer be brought new under the Faberge label... all the new Brut releass are under the 'Brut Parfums Prestige' label, owned by Unilever.

Very interesting. I didn't know they sold the EDT spray in that new bottle - which looks like a lighter coloured version of what they've been selling the Cologne spray in.

I bought my bottle from Strawberrynet a few years back, and it's the same as the bottle pictured in the Fragrance Directory.

I wasn't that happy with it, because while it lasted longer than the Cologne spray version (which in turn was longer lasting than the body splash version), it would conk out before the end of a working day.

I prefer Fred Hayman's Touch for Men, which is very similar to Brut, but does last a whole working day.
    Renato

I've never had any problems with Brut's Longevity. The splash lotion alone along with the AP underarm sees me through the entire day until long after finishing work.

Sadly, regarding the original Brut, only the after shave is still being marketed in my country and it's a pity, since I love this scent soooo much.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1979 View Post
    AFAIK, Brut was sold on by Faberge as it can no longer be brought new under the Faberge label... all the new Brut releass are under the 'Brut Parfums Prestige' label, owned by Unilever.
    Is that really so? Amazone and others still offer 'Brut by Fabergé' .On that page is a link to 'All products by Fabergé. It shows the spray bottle I own, clear glass without long neck and holding the yellow liquid. It's marked as "currently unavailable". That one is certainly better than what's sold in the plastic bottle, often found as a set of Deo, Cologne and AS in stores.

Perfumes The Guide refers to another producer of the 'plastic' packaging, named something like Helen of Troy (another Unilever sub?) - "It used to be a glorious sweet fougère that smelled at once clean and dirty and went on forever. Is it still brutish enough for nostalgia? Only barely. But it costs almost nothing , so buy some, look in the mirror, narrow your eyes, and picture youself with hair." LT
    Last edited by narcus; 14th June 2009 at 01:02 PM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brut_(cologne)

Has a bit of info there... I'm not claiming to know it all, I'm just stating what I'd heard. It could be wrong or it may not be