Code of Conduct

Default NOMBRE NOIR -- And an amazing discovery !

Having heard all the "Luca Turin" fuss about this perfume I was more than curious to check it out, but I wasnīt prepared to pay exorbitant ebay prices for it. After many years of patience, luck recently struck and I managed to secure a full miniature bottle at a french flea market. I didnīt dare to smell the contents straight away - I was much too scared !! After a ceremony of hand and nose washing I finally opened the bottle. I tested it on a card, It seemed to take a long while to develop, but quite remarkably after a couple of hours it got more and more powerful. I left the card balanced on a glass in the lounge and every time I entered the room the fragrance seemed more pronounced. I would describe the fragrance itself as ` boozy rich plum ī I donīt usually go for fruity fragrances, but this one I adore. It has echoes of Femme, Rochas and elements of Cinnabar and J-H-L. In fact, I find it very close to Arabie, which is no surprise. Perhaps Arabie, also from Serge Lutens was an extension of Nombre Noir ???
    But now comes the "amazing " bit........In my mind there was a fragrance that came even closer, but I couldnīt put my finger/nose on it. Finally I got there and tested them back to back with great delight.
    The fragrance is Gabriela Sabatini !!
    Last edited by david; 13th June 2009 at 08:27 PM.

Default Re: NOMBRE NOIR -- And an amazing discovery !

I've been wanting to test this for so long, and I even made a thread about it a couple of weeks ago. I don't think I should continue my hunt for it anymore, as you said that it you find it very close to Arabie, and I find Arabie seriously disgusting (sorry to all those who like it ).

Since I own Arabie, I can rest peacefully now...

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    ...But now comes the "amazing " bit........In my mind there was a fragrance that came even closer, but I couldnīt put my finger/nose on it. Finally I got there and tested them back to back with great delight.
    The fragrance is Gabriela Sabatini !!
    You don't say???
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

How close a match are we talking here (to Gabriela Sabatini)?
    This has got me very excited indeed !

I have since tested the fragrance several times and have changed my opinion somewhat.
    On the first testing I could barely detect any rose note at all. But now I do get a tart synthetic rose note.
    Itīs an overtly squeaky-clean rose note, almost medicinal and reminiscent of the prominent note in the discontinued first Armani womens fragrance. I describe this note as an ` inside of a brand-new plastic handbag ī smell. A lot of womens perfumes in the seventies had this clean-plastic note.
    The gabriela Sabatini perfume has a more pronounced plum /cherry pipe tabacco aroma running through it.
    I recommend that everyone should try the Gabriela Sabatini. Itīs a sensational fragrance and not expensive.

I don`t see nothing in common between Arabie and Nombre Noir. Although you have a hint of sometthing fruitier on nombre, probably to the osmanthus and rose core of the fragrance, the other factes of nombre, like the aldehic beginning and the woody base, makes it go into a more french classicla direction instead of the arabic style of some of his creations. It reminds me of a Rochas scent too, but not Femme, the original Madame Rochas.

And like some have already commented, rose de nuit is close to nombre noir, but it lacks the wine dark aroma that the roses and osmanthus produced.