Code of Conduct

Default Bel Ami: How does it compare to classic leather fragrances?

I don't believe I've ever smelled a true "leather" fragrance, and I'm curious (e.g., never tried Knize Ten, Cuir de Russie, Cuiron, etc..). I've read some posts where people have referred to Hermes' Bel Ami as a leather fragrance. Is this true? Bel Ami is one of my favorite fragrances, but I never thought of it as a leather fragrance. How does it compare to the hardcore leather frags?

P.S. I'm talking about the most recent formulation of Bel Ami, not the vintage.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Default Re: Bel Ami: How does it compare to classic leather fragrances?

I don''t get leather either, not out front. Cuiron is the only one I know well that really smells like leather. Haven't tried the Creed though. I still like Bel Ami...not a favorite, but kept it as I trimmed from 100 to 50 fragrances. I find it tricky. Just a bit too much and it seems sour and synthetic. Get it right and great florals rise from the leathery amber.

Bel Ami has quite a bit more floral notes - and overall sweetness compared to other leather scents. Aigner in Leather for men is lees sweet and has a green melon note for the initial few minutes, which then changes to a slightly 'fresh' scent with a refined leather base. Creed Royal English Leather in contrast starts out with a blast of mandarin and then settles down into a smooth leather scent
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Two other fragrances that smell really leathery to me are Creed's Bois du Portugal and Mazzolari Lui. Are either of these considered "leather" fragrances?

Default Leather Fragrances - Recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced (less than $70) leather fragrance? I'm not talking about fragrances that have hints of leather, but ones where leather is the dominant note.

I'm interested in really dark, smoky fragrances.

P.S. I already know about Knize Ten

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Leather Fragrances - Recommendations?

1776 Russian Leather by Elsha - http://www.elsha.com/
    Last edited by petruccijc; 15th June 2009 at 01:32 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bel Ami is a Leather scent that I really like....I also like Cuir Amethyste from Armani's Prive Line.....it is a bit on the sweet side which I really like alot.....Gucci Pour Homme is also sweet to me and one that I like.
    Gary

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford is a really good one, but you can't get it for under $70, unless you buy an ounce in a bottle split. It's dark, smokey and leather dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford is a really good one, but you can't get it for under $70, unless you buy an ounce in a bottle split. It's dark, smokey and leather dominant.
    I agree.....It is by far the best leather fragrance I have come across...very wearable

Bel Ami is a very complex power scent with a touch of leather, but not a lot.

Haven't tried Tuscan Leather so the best I've tried is Montale's Cuir D'arabie. Simply the best and most realistic representation of leather unhampered by anything else in the mix. And it's completely wearable and inoffensive to those not into fragrance.

It's $100 direct from Paris and completely worth it over anything for less.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 15th June 2009 at 02:32 AM.

The only things I can think of right now that are under $70 are Estee Lauder Azuree or Aramis. I wouldn't say they are smoky, though.

If you can get a second-hand bottle of Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe, that would probably be your best chance to meet your price. Or, perhaps a tiny bottle of Le Labo Patchouli 24.
    Last edited by Asha; 15th June 2009 at 01:58 AM.

Great Leathers under $70?

Kolnisch Juchten by Rance is dark, but lightly sweet (read well worn and experienced) leather. Wonderful stuff. I think it costs around $65 but it may have gone up since its been discovered now. The only place I know to get it is from: Jacqueline Parfumery in San Francisco at 103 Geary Street- ph# 415-981-0858 - they ship anywhere.

My second choice would be a great leather I just discovered a couple months ago called Rien by Etat Libre de Orange. I think Luckyscent carries this now - costs about $69. This is my favorite leather ELDO makes, although they have other varieties.

English Leather by Dana can still be found in drug stores here and there. Its a fantastic dry spicey leather scent for around $20 - $30. I picked up a bottle at Walgreens.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Bel Ami is a very complex power scent with a touch of leather, but not a lot.
    By the way, I see the use of the term "power scent" a lot on Basenotes. What exactly does that mean? That powerful guys wear it? That it's a loud fragrance? That it exudes power? Just curious!

It has some leather in the base, I certainly wouldn't call it a leather fragrance. To me it's much more about the spices and woody notes.

In Leather by Aigner.

Cool bottle too.

Sybaris/Puig
    Getting difficult to find, but Beauty Encounter does have it here:

http://perfume.beautyencounter.com/s...1.x=6&go1.y=11

Quorum Silver/Puig
    Picked up 1oz edt spray at T.J. Maxx recently for $10.00 USD.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

A classic - Aramis.
    Top notes: artemisia, bergamot, cinnamon, gardenia. Middle notes: jasmine, patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood. Base: leather, oakmoss, castoreum, amber.
    Last edited by anais; 15th June 2009 at 05:04 AM.
    ~ Anais ~

Off-Scenter

Bandit. Make sure you get he most recent version, which is an attempt at accurately recreating the dark, smoky original.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    The only things I can think of right now that are under $70 are Estee Lauder Azuree or Aramis. I wouldn't say they are smoky, though.

If you can get a second-hand bottle of Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe, that would probably be your best chance to meet your price. Or, perhaps a tiny bottle of Le Labo Patchouli 24.
    I would second the recommendation by Asha Parfum d'Empire: Ambre Russe is delightful but also give Cuir Ottoman a try from the same fragrance house. They are both potent but very good leathers in my opinion.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

givenchy - gentleman

I would try John Varvatos. IMO it's a modern take on the leather scent.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo30 View Post
    I would try John Varvatos. IMO it's a modern take on the leather scent.
    I was just about to post that.

Maybe the new Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, or something within the Marbert range- e.g. Marbert Man and Marbert Homme, if you happen to find Antaeus by Chanel discounted under 70$ you might want to go for it too or if you like extremely powerhouse leather, go for Trussardi Uomo
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 15th June 2009 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by senZuality View Post
    A classic - Aramis.
    Top notes: artemisia, bergamot, cinnamon, gardenia. Middle notes: jasmine, patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood. Base: leather, oakmoss, castoreum, amber.
    I love Aramis and used to wear it for years, but I didn't know it was considered a "leather fragrance".

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Never heard of this one, but I checked out your link and I'm curious about it. Does it have a really dark, leathery smell? The price is cheap, but does it smell cheap? I ask this because many of the frags people recommend as leather fragrances don't smell leathery to me. Same goes for lots of "tobacco" frags people have recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Never heard of this one, but I checked out your link and I'm curious about it. Does it have a really dark, leathery smell? The price is cheap, but does it smell cheap? I ask this because many of the frags people recommend as leather fragrances don't smell leathery to me. Same goes for lots of "tobacco" frags people have recommended.
    I have a lot of leather fragrances. 1776 Russian Leather is one of my favorites and is in the top 10% of my collection. It is not a dark fragrance like Kolnisch Juchten but closer in character to Royal English Leather.

And, yes. Aramis is considered to be a leather fragrance (and an excellent one at that!)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

If you can find a pre-reformulated bottle of Hermes Bel Ami (in the cocktail-shaker style bottle) I'd say it's one of the better less expensive leathers around. The current version is ok, but a lot of the leather 'oomph' has been taken out of it.

Blog Entries

http://store.perfumersapprentice.com/fr-62.html
    15 ml of concentrate costs $3.50 and can be diluted 10 to 1. I have it. It smells like leather. It doesn't smell like anything but leather.

With your remaining $66.50 you can get small samples of other suggestions from The Perfumed Court.

Have fun & tell us what you like best of all the things you try.

Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather as already mentioned.

It's quite probably the most perfect Leather fragrance ever.
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Basenotes Institution

I agree with Vibert. You have to try Bandit by Piguet and Tabac Blond by Caron - both easily worn by men, in your price range and leathery and smoky.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Another option I would look into is Montale - Aoud Leather. It smells very very close to Tuscan Leather. I would say it smells more like real leather than Tuscan Leather does. I also find it easier to wear.

A 50ml bottle is $75 shipped directly from Montale. Or if Im not mistaken I believe someone has a 20ml bottle for sale in the marketplace.

Well - Knize Ten is still what fits the best.

Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabi is a very nice pure leather of similar quality as well as Cuir Maresque by Serge Lutens, but they are more expensive.

May be it's interesting to try Lonestar Memories by Tauer Perfumes - it's a nice and interesting pure leather too.

Gentleman by Givenchy - old formulation had dark and some leather quality. In my opinion it's more woody oriental and definitely Patchouli, than leather. The new version is less dark and more sweet patchouli.
    Anais Nin: "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
    Link to my perfumery blog: http://aromax-on-line.blogspot.com/

I wonder if Everso is stirring in his sleep right now...

Might want to try Hermes Rocabar too
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

By the way, I see the use of the term "power scent" a lot on Basenotes. What exactly does that mean? That powerful guys wear it? That it's a loud fragrance? That it exudes power? Just curious!
    It means it is a scent with overbearing sillage, the fashion in fragrances back in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Might want to try Hermes Rocabar too
    I already have Rocabar, which is a good frag, but it doesn't smell leathery to me. I've always thought of Rocabar as a wood fragrance.

Two other fragrances that smell really leathery to me are Creed's Bois du Portugal and Mazzolari Lui. Are either of these considered "leather" fragrances?
    Nope
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

I already have Rocabar, which is a good frag, but it doesn't smell leathery to me. I've always thought of Rocabar as a wood fragrance.
    agreed , it has a unique note of some type of grass also .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Blog Entries

Demeter's Leather mimics the note pretty reasonably.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I agree.....It is by far the best leather fragrance I have come across...very wearable
    Quote Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
    Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather as already mentioned.

It's quite probably the most perfect Leather fragrance ever.
    I also think Tuscan Leather is one of the best leathers.

I would also suggest F by Ferragamo Black, an intense but subtle leather, with a dry-down that reminds me so much of Tuscan Leather, albeit with its volume turned down. It is also under $70, i think.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I can't suggest more leather perfumes but closely related to it would be Bvlgari Black ( rubber and vanilla) and Dzing ( leather, hay, circus smell but nice). And the Bvlgari Black is easy and cheap too get, while the L' Artisan can be get for not that much either.

For a biger budget you could try Daim Blonde by Serge Lutens although I think the suggestions above are very good suggestions and probably more to your liking.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

FROM ESPRITDEPARFUM

En parfumerie, LA FAMILLE CUIR est un peu à part.C’est une famille très appréciée des connaisseurs et des amoureux du parfum « de caractère»
    . Il existe assez peu de parfums que l’on classe dans cette famille. En effet, ces notes sont assez « segmentantes» et difficiles à apprivoiser, on trouve néanmoins beaucoup de parfums dans cette famille dans la parfumerie dite de « niche ».

Historiquement, Cuir et parfum étaient déjà associés :

En 2000 avant JC, en Asie, les cuirs étaient traités et parfumés avec l’écorce de l’arbre à Kumquat.
    Les peaux d’Espagne étaient parfumées avec diverses senteurs précieuses telles que l’eau de rose, l’ambre, le camphre, l’essence de cèdre, les muscs .

En italie

Au XVII ème siècle, Le cuir italien était parfumé avec une odeur douce d’amande; il existe plusieurs théories quant a l’orgine du mot frangipane, cependant on s’accorde au moins sur le fait qu’il vient du pratronyme italien Frangipani , a t il été patissier , botaniste, marquis maréchal des armées ou moine ?? ça on ne le sait pas.

Mais les extraits les plus prisés étaient : la violette, l’iris, le musc, l’ambre et la civette

Grasse et le cuir

Les Tanneurs s’installent à Grasse au XII ème siècle pour leur commerce de cuirs et de peaux.

Ils font des accords commerciaux avec gênes et Pise où ils exportent leurs cuirs.

La réputation de Grasse pour ses cuirs de qualité grandit ,mais il reste une ombre au tableau : les cuirs ne sentent pas bon, ce qui déplaît fortement à la noblesse.
    Au XVI et XVII ème siècles, les gants, accessoires indispensables, sont parfumés à diverses senteurs : ambrette, muscs, … ou sous François 1er : civette, ambre gris, romarin…

D’où vient donc l’idée de parfumer les cuirs et en particulier les gants ?
    Ce serait Molinard qui aurait offert une paire de gant parfumé à Catherine de Médicis, à la fleur d’oranger ,elle a été conquise notamment , c’est pour cette raison qu’elle fut surnommée « la nérola» .

Le produit se répand alors à la Cour et dans toute la haute société. Le roi en 1614 introduit le titre de « Maître Gantiers Parfumeurs » et la ville de Grasse acquiert une réputation de tanneur parfumeur à l’échelle mondiale. C’est la grande époque de la corporation des « Gantiers Parfumeurs ».

Sous Henri III, on met même des gants pour dormir !

Le métier de Gantier Parfumeur est artisanal et requiert un savoir faire important. En effet, il faut 4 ans d’apprentissage et 3 ans de compagnonnage pour arriver a la maitrise.

Mais vers 1759, les taxes sur le cuir et la concurrence de Nice firent décliner l’industrie du cuir à Grasse et au cuir succéda le parfum. La communauté des gantiers parfumeurs est dissoute en 1791.
    Au XIXème siècle, Grasse devient Capitale du Parfum, la production artisanale des débuts fait place à une véritable industrie et la campagne alentour se couvre de fleurs.

Toutes les maisons de parfumerie ont eu un parfum portant le nom : cuir de Russie (Guerlain 1890, Chanel 1927, LT Piver 1939, Creed 1953…). Il tire son inspiration des bottes que portaient les danseurs des Ballets russes qui étaient imperméabilisées au goudron de bouleau.

En 1918 est créé Tabac Blond de Caron qui est cuiré par ses notes tabacées.

Arrive ensuite Knize ten de Knize (1924) un cuir chypré qui fait un clin d’oeil à l’Heure Bleue de Guerlain.

Les parfums cuirés deviennent de moins en moins populaires et déclinent à partir des années 80 en même temps que les notes animales. C’est à cette période que l’on se tourne vers d’autres notes telles que les notes marines, propres.
    On notera tout de même par la suite quelques exceptions de grandes Maisons osant encore proposer de véritables cuirs : Bel Amis d’Hermès en 1986 ou le Cuir Mauresque de Serge Lutens.et d’autres ….
    Cuir Beluga de Guerlain étant plus un daim blanc vanillé (voir article déja paru) qu’un parfum cuir !! mais ô surprise , vous aurez bientôt à la Maison Guerlain , dans la collection des exclusifs ,un vrai cuir masculin qui je pense va ravir mes lecteurs.

Jean-François Laporte a été le fondateur de L’Artisan Parfumeur, et le créateur de Mûre et Musc. Il a ensuite fondé la marque Maître Parfumeur et Gantier en 1988.et l’on peut trouver encore dans sa boutique des gants parfumés.

D’autres exemples de parfums avec une facette cuirée :
    Féminins
    1931 Scandal de lanvin

1944 Bandit de Piguet

1959 Cabochard de Grès

1963 Diorling de Dior

1985 La nuit de Paco Rabanne

1986 Parfum de peau de Montana

1999 Dzing de l’artisan Parfumeur

2004 Daim Blond de Lutens

2007 Kelly Calèche d’Hermès

2007 Cuir de Lancôme

Masculins et mixtes

1781 Royal English Leather Creed

1955 Doblis Hermès

1959 Tabac Original

1964 Aramis d’Estée Lauder

1976 Yatagan de Caron

1978 Polo de Ralph Lauren

1978 L’eau du navigateur de l’artisan parfumeur

1978 Van Cleef&Arpels pour Homme

1980 Macassar de Rochas

1980 Jules de Dior

1980 One Man Show de Bogart

1981 Quorum de Puig

1981 Antaeus de Chanel

1981 Kouros d’YSL
    1985 Derby de Guerlain
    1989 Parfum d’Homme Montana

1998 Rocabar d’Hermès
    1998 Bulgari Black de Bulgari
    1999 Tabarome Millésime Creed
    2002 Cuiron Helmut Lang
    2003 Duel d’Annick Goutal
    2003 cuir ambre prada
    2003 feuilles de tabac Miller Harris
    2004 daim blond Serge Lutens
    2004 Aigner Black for men
    2005 Cuir améthyste Armani privé
    2005 Cuir d’oranger Miller Harris
    2005 Fumerie turque Serge Lutens
    2006 Rien état libre d’orange

2006Cuir Pleine Fleur de James Heeley
    2006 Je suis un homme Etat Libre d Orange
    2006 Cuir ottoman Parfum d ‘ Empire
    2006 Dzongkha Artisan Parfumeur
    2007 Ambre fétiche Annick Goutal
    2007 Tuscan Leather de Tom Ford
    2007 Charogne Etat Libre d’Orange
    2007 Japon noir Tom Ford
    2007 luxe patchouli Comme Des Garçons
    2008 Serge noire Serge Lutens

Dans cette liste importante de cuirs , j’ai quelques « chouchous» Royal English leather , et Knize Ten ,Prada Men pour leur proximité à Heure Bleue,et aussi Black Bugari que je trouve très sexy !

chez Guerlain dans nos classiques, il existe une facette cuir très présente dans Djedi (1925) et aussi dans Parfum des Champs Elysées(1904) et en général tous les très anciens Guerlain. Nous la trouvons également dans le fabuleux Vol de Nuit et aussi la « joconde» de la parfumerie :Shalimar qui n’existerait pas sans sa facette cuirée , de même pour Habit Rouge à noter que dans Habit Rouge eau de parfum a été ajoutée une note Agar Wood qui lui donne une inflexion vraiment différente, je vous invite a comparer l’eau de toilette avec l’eau de Parfum rien a voir!! personnellement , je trouve que Habit Rouge eau de parfum est terriblement sexy !!

Quelles Matières premières utilise t on pour faire un parfum cuiré ?

La note cuir peut avoir différentes facettes (fumée, tabacée, boisé brûlé, goudron….)

L’essence de goudron de bouleau est obtenue par distillation lente du bois

Le bouleau est originaire de Russie et d’Europe du nord. Il y pousse à l’état sauvage. Il est aussi appelé bouleau blanc. L’huile obtenue après distillation est déphénolisée et lavée en milieu alcalin pour être utilisée en parfumerie. (maintenant pour le bois de bouleau nous utilisons une compostion , car le bois de bouleau désormais interdit car,toxique!)

Le goudron de bouleau est utilisé pour tanner les peaux en Russie et pour certaines préparations pharmaceutiques. Certains de ses dérivés sont aussi utilisés comme arômes pour des chewing gums, dentifrices ou boissons…

Tronc du bois de bouleau photo

L’essence de Cade est aussi une matière première cuirée qui s’obtient par distillation des bois et racines de l’arbre à Cade ou Genévrier Oxycèdre. Cet arbre est fréquent en région côtière méditérannénne (du Maroc à l ‘ Iran ), où il est l’une des plantes caractéristiques des garrigues et des maquis.

L’essence de cade a des propriétés antipelliculaires

Arbre à Cade photogenevrier-commun

D’autres matières premières peuvent être utilisées pour donner des aspects cuirés telles que :

le styrax (résine ) et le styrax pyrogéné

le ciste Labdanum (résine) et tous ses dérivés

L’agarwood ou essence d’agar est le principal constituant du bois de oud (arbre très rare que l’on trouve en inde ou Asie du sud est). Son essence est utilisée pour travailler des notes cuirs et s’obtient en distillant la résine produite par le bois d’agar. Cette résine apparait sur de très vieux arbres en réaction à des parasites. L’essence de oud ne s’utilise pas en parfumeie car très rare et très chère.

l’encens pyrogéné

l’immortelle a également une facette cuir

la cassie

la violette : ionone béta

le sudéral qui est une matière première(synthèse) qui sent le magasin de chaussures a plein nez ! donnant des aspects cuirés doux type daim utilisée dans Cuir Beluga de Guerlain

L’IBQ (isobutylquinoléïne) qui est cuiré sec avec une facette verte « asperge »

Des matières premières animales peuvent aussi apporter une facette cuir telle que les compositions donnant un effet castoréum, comme le Danan

Paul Valéry ne se trompait pas en disant « ce qu’il ya de plus profond chez l’homme c’est la peau»

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford smells most like REAL leather to me. I love Dzing and wear it and it too has a good leatheriness. What about good ole Yatagan? The chic of the hairy chested and mustachioed 70's leather and it's affordable. Not quite as classy as Tuscan Leather though.

Hermes Kelly Caleche is quite leathery, but not for me.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

A really nice one is "In the Library" by CB I Hate Perfume. The leather link is the smell of the leather bindings of old books.
    Last edited by kathiem2; 30th October 2009 at 08:18 PM.

I'm giving a cheeky nod to the Lynx/Axe Instinct scent. But then I would! lol
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

I like what I like, so sue me!

Creed Cuir de Russie, Knize you know, Creed REL,
    Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie, and - although the drydown is less convincing on me - TF Tuscan Leather.

By far the 2 best leather fragrances I have tried are Creed Royal English Leather & Puredistance M.
    TF Tuscan Leather is a distant third.
    These don't fit into small budgets however.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie is a good one IMO.

Puredistance M
    Knize Ten
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie
    Xerjoff Homme
    Cuir de Russie
    Tuscan Leather

In that order too.....

Leather is my favorite genre and I've only ever come across 2 of what I refer to as "hyper realistic" leather fragrances that actually smell somewhat like westernized chemically treated "new" leather: Tuscan Leather and Oud Cuir d'Arabie.

I realize this thread is old, but both are out of the $70 price range. Closest to that price point At $75, Cuir Ottoman is probably the best representation of leather to me, but it is of the buttery tanned leather variety. Like a nice leather couch.

Most of the other "leather" fragrances are indeed wonderful scents, but are more in line with perfumery's interpretation of leather rather than smelling like genuine new chemically treated leather that most of us would identify as a true realistic leather scent. Of this variety there are dozens of amazing choices. Among them:

Cuir de Russie
    Knize 10
    Cuir Mauresque
    Royal English Leather

And then there's the suede-like leathers which are different beasts all together...