Code of Conduct

Default Fifty cent fragrance

No, there isn't a fragrance being sold for 50 cents but the rapper 50 cent has a fragrance called POWER coming out at Macys. I'm not a huge fan of his but he was on Kimmel and I was really impressed and depressed. On one hand how does this guy have any street cred left? He came out more sedate, easy going, and "white" than me! On the other hand it's nice that a bad boy rapper can come off as an everyday Joe and not care. 50 was the real deal, he isn't some rich kid posing as a gangster or a kid from hardknocks, the man has a buller lodged in his jaw still. He even joked about drive bys I mean he was exceptionally charismatic and laid back. He's also been doing a ton of charity work for lower class communuties. I think Dre is producing his new album and if that's the case it'll be amazing for sure. Dre can make Miley Cyrus sound divine if he ever felt the desire.

Now onto the fragrance which 50 cent claims he had a hand in. He smelled all the different formulations and was the voice behind what he wanted. It's not like he just popped his name on something. After years of stupidity from people in the hip hop community I just find this refreshing.

http://angryape.com/news/50-cent-to-...ower-fragrance

http://cwebnews.com/entertainment/176532.html

Default Re: Fifty cent fragrance

I saw that too! I usually don't bother with celebrity fragrances.. actually I've never smelled any! I've always been drawn to the ones that I've never heard of lol. I'll have to try this one though..

[Off Topic] He really does seem like a cool person [/Off topic]
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 15th June 2009 at 04:56 AM.

Aren't 50 Cent and Sean John the same person?

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I saw him on Kimmel too. As much as I shudder at the thought of buying a celebufrag, I thought it would be interesting if he did an interview for Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Aren't 50 Cent and Sean John the same person?
    nooo sean john is sean "puffy" combs, or p-diddy. 50 cent is curtis jackson

despite your lovely respectfull story.. they shouldn't have any perfumes, haha
    unico grande amore.

Shoulda called it "Fiddy Scent"

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I saw him on Kimmel too. As much as I shudder at the thought of buying a celebufrag, I thought it would be interesting if he did an interview for Basenotes.
    I'm already on it. I sent an email to his rep at William Morris and am following up tomorrow with a phone call.

- Al

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    I'm already on it. I sent an email to his rep at William Morris and am following up tomorrow with a phone call.

- Al
    Good luck!

Hmmm, doesnt sound very extraordinary to me to be honest.
    Many of the celebrities who have their names atop of fragrances play some role during the making, be it the occasional approval or be it more (Sarah Jessica Parker i e appears to have played a big creative role during the development of LOVELY ).
    I cant really take those Gangsta Hardcore Shit Rappers with all their criminality records blabla serious. Perfumes dont quite fit the bill, dont you think? Sound simply like moneymaking.
    Last edited by timaru; 15th June 2009 at 01:41 PM.

It doesn't matter if it smelled good, bad or amazing.
    I wouldn't give this so called "artist" a dime of my money.

Here's a link to the Kimmel thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-0lZwB4AMU

The discussion of his fragrance starts a little over 4 minutes in and lasts about a minute.

Bullet in the jaw and charity work in the community? Sound like some kind of marketing or a PR gimmick to me.

Hmm seem interesting, but might see myself when this one come out.

I would never buy a fragrance by 50 Cent, P. Diddy, Kylie, or any other big commercial artist.
    But of course these fragrances aren't marketed towards me but towards 14 to 18 year olds who are huge fans of these "artists".
    I would also be really embarresed when a girl or woman would ask me what I was wearing and I would have to reply with "50 Cent......"

This NEEDS to be called 50 Scent. I demand it. A Fiddy interview on BN would give us some serious street cred though, hahahaha.
    Last edited by Agent Zero; 15th June 2009 at 06:47 PM.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    This NEEDS to be called 50 Scent. I demand it. A Fiddy interview on BN would give us some serious street cred though, hahahaha.
    Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPanzer View Post
    Bullet in the jaw and charity work in the community? Sound like some kind of marketing or a PR gimmick to me.
    Not really. Before he was anything and a fledgling rapper his career took a blow when he got shot in the mouth. That was 10 or so years ago. Its why he talks like his teeth are stuck together. I was working with Grandmasterflash at the time it was a little before the RunDMC shooting.

- Al

^ Wow you work in the industry?

Not exactly. LoL. I work in film but there is some crossover. I met Flash a a party in honor of the fallen Jam Master Jay. And we collaborated on something. But I am in NO WAY nearly talented enough to work in the hip hop industry. I make pictures not sounds.

Is Fifty Cent's scent going to sell for Fifty Bucks for a Fifty ml bottle?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 16th June 2009 at 03:48 AM.

^ That would be clever, especially if it were called Fifty Scent as adonis suggested. Power seems way too generic of a name.

I find it so funny that he's going into acting! It seems almost all rappers end up acting or at least try to. Having said that, Will Smith is amazing
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 16th June 2009 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giustino View Post
    despite your lovely respectfull story.. they shouldn't have any perfumes, haha
    Then clothing designers should stick with making clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
    I would never buy a fragrance by 50 Cent, P. Diddy, Kylie, or any other big commercial artist.
    But of course these fragrances aren't marketed towards me but towards 14 to 18 year olds who are huge fans of these "artists".
    I would also be really embarresed when a girl or woman would ask me what I was wearing and I would have to reply with "50 Cent......"
    Haha that would be joke.

Sampled it today...
    Here is my review...

This is a pleasant surprise. I expected crap in a bottle, instead, I was greeted by taste and quality, though it has a twist not all will like.
    The opening is a dry, green, soapy; reminiscent of something I can't quite put my finger on...Guerlain's Vetiver and Prada's Infusion d'Homme come to mind. Then a sweetness appears out of nowhere. It is a berry bubble gummy kinda sweetness. This is where most discerning noses will probably get turned off. The dry green and berry walk hand in hand until they get married giving birth to Paco Rabanne's Black XS (but later changes to Polo Explorer? Mont Blanc Exceptionel?) but dirtier. The effect at this point is Dirty English by Juicy Couture like.

I have to give this a thumbs up (but not a highly recommended) because it is:
    1. Daring
    2. Completely unexpectedly quality
    3. A tribute to the past then rolls right into the now

Worth a try, but for me can't do a whole bottle. Fitty, I am impressed.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

I will never buy anything from a convicted felon and well know gang member, possibly an assassin himself, but that is just me. Maybe he is a different person now doing charity and all that but ... screw him.
    I never understood the fascination that the American youth has for the black gangster rappers, unreal. One things is for sure they are milking the cow to the max and becoming millionaires by the minute.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I will never buy anything from a convicted felon...
    The Kennedy's, Rockerfeller's, Madoff's and Bush's would have something to say about that.
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com
    My Decant & Bottles Swap Thread - AGAIN
    I still need a Creed Original Vetiver 120ml cap...

Is / was Bush a convicted felon? Was JFK? what is your point really.

Is / was Bush a convicted felon? Was JFK? what is your point really.
    Simply put, the original Kennedy patriarch was one of the original bootleggers during Prohibition. My point is that people tend to attach judgments on some people, yet don't equally apply those judgments where they are also applicable.

Sure, 50 Cent is nothing more than an over-glorified street thug. But so were a lot of other people. Some are even revered now - such as the Kennedy's and the people that apparently you did not know their histories. Same for Bush and his cocaine usage - same for the current president too actually - as well as his DUI conviction, or how his wife Laura Bush ran over young lady in her own youth too.

That's my point. If I need explain it further, I'll just suggest that you know your history much better.

Have a good one.
    Last edited by gerbick; 11th November 2009 at 08:24 AM.

- erased- ,
    this is a fragrance forum and not a political one, should you wish to continue discussing over 50 cents and your history 101 class feel free to msg me -.
    Last edited by Basteri; 11th November 2009 at 09:17 AM.

No need. I followed your delineation from fragrance to social commentary.

It's funny how people can judge celebs... I can't be too sure, but I'm pretty sure Fifty has given more to the society than a lot of the people judging him could have and could ever have in their lifetimes...

Personally, I don't really care for celebs, I don't watch E! or TMZ or whatever, nor do I read tabloids.. But It's funny how easy it is to judge celebs... When at the end of the day, they're about 62,423 times much more of a saint than say, Your City's mayor, Mcdonalds, Nike, Your Church or the producers of 90% of your groceries.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Judge him ? I am not judging him, he has been already judged by the LAW.
    "He is about 62,423 times much more of a saint than my Church?" wow, I am speechless.

"50 Cent began drug dealing at the age of twelve during the 1980s crack epidemic. On June 29, 1994, Jackson was arrested for helping to sell four vials of cocaine to an undercover police officer. He was arrested again three weeks later when police searched his home and found heroin, ten ounces of crack cocaine, and a starter gun. He was sentenced to three to nine years in prison, but managed to serve six months in a shock incarceration boot camp where he earned his GED. Jackson said that he did not use cocaine himself, he only sold it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Basteri; 11th November 2009 at 01:35 PM.

End of argument.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

sure mate, end of argument.

Just smelt this at Macys yesterday...this scent is pretty lame to me. It wasn't especially pleasing or original. A different take on fruit and woods (definitely not an 80's-esque scent). I hate to say this, but I actually found Usher's VIP for Men much more appealing. I really don't care for either of his prior releases but this one seems to offer something interesting. Give it a try.

Cant wait to smell this.

50 is a smart smart business man. The guy is caking off soo many things right now, he makes all the right moves. As for America supporting BLACK gangster rappers, this is the same america that glorifies the WHITE italian mafia but they hardly get any heat from anyone.I never understood this. Atleast most rappers are rapping now and stay away form the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post

End of argument.
    I'm confused. Is it a woody scent with some smoke top notes?
    The Bark Bites Back.

Post Re: Fifty cent fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    I'm confused. Is it a woody scent with some smoke top notes?
    Well played sir. I don't think that picture was necessary at all, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyylicous View Post
    Cant wait to smell this.

50 is a smart smart business man. The guy is caking off soo many things right now, he makes all the right moves. As for America supporting BLACK gangster rappers, this is the same america that glorifies the WHITE italian mafia but they hardly get any heat from anyone.I never understood this. Atleast most rappers are rapping now and stay away form the streets.
    Who doesn't get heat? Supporters of the mafia? I live in Finland so I might not know everything relevant here, but have to say I find this to be a very weird statement. First of all, mafia - altleast the glorifyed one - is not at all a contemporary subject. Secondly, I think gangsta rappers are much more approved in general public than mafia.

Color of the skin is just one of countless attributes these people have. To make a conclusion that in this imagined situation where mafia supporters does not get heat it's because of the color of their skin, does not make much sense. It's like concluding musician X is not popular because he is black.

About the last sentence, I don't think the problem here is these particular rappers. I think people are worried about glorifying certain way of living.

I still say the best celebrity fragrance done by a rapper ( sort of) is Bryan Adams pour Homme. So good it cuts like a knife !

Morning Star

I'm getting concerned that mild hostility is being demonstrated in this thread without either myself or Redneck Perfumisto instigating it. Just sayin' ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I'm getting concerned that mild hostility is being demonstrated in this thread without either myself or Redneck Perfumisto instigating it. Just sayin' ...
    LMAO. Yes, I felt squeaky clean about not instigating a disturbance, until gerbick's post reminded me of my errant teenage years. And I can't even read about Laura Bush without thinking of my own major screw-up. So I'm just gonna get back to the scent and cut Mr. 50 some slack.... I mean, it's not like he made this stuff anyway.

I agree with Andrew that it's not dead-center in the field of standard bland and timid aquatic designer scents out there now. It is definitely moved over to one side - close to some of the more powerful things among current designer scents. I guess it's a "relatively" powerful scent by today's standards - but by no means comparable to '80's powerhouse stuff. And I'm definitely getting the same notes as Andrew.

I may yet buy this when it goes to the discount stores. But I would much rather take the money and go hog wild on TdH Parfum in the honkin' big bottle than buy this one at full price, personally.

And I'm still wondering - who's the perfumer?

And I'm still wondering - who's the perfumer?
    Harry Fremont

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by breeze11 View Post
    Harry Fremont
    Impressive!

Basteri i have sold lots of dr@gs earlier in my life(although I only use & approve of pot) and i am an extemely nice gentle and caring person. Was even during my teenage years when selling hard dr@gs to people I would explain the chemical reaction based c@caine was causing to their brain, decreasing their ability to synthesize dopamine, and hence, making pleasure harder and harder for them to experience. They bought rock anyway, and i took the money guiltfully.

I don't like 50 cent's music except for "many men", but i will try this scent on it's own merit.

And i agree with all that was said about the kennedy family having organized crime roots. The rockefellers having been immoral business people for centuries, and the Bush family having expunged felonies and many skeletons.

But if they offer some consumer product to market, I judge the product on it's own merit.

I will boycott and speak badly of certain industries, mainly banking and finance, military industrial complex, industrial polluters, but consumer products from individuals i think is unnecessary boycott for many sensible people...

You are free to boycott and tell others to do likewise.

Peace.

Judge him ? I am not judging him, he has been already judged by the LAW.
    "He is about 62,423 times much more of a saint than my Church?" wow, I am speechless.

"50 Cent began drug dealing at the age of twelve during the 1980s crack epidemic. On June 29, 1994, Jackson was arrested for helping to sell four vials of cocaine to an undercover police officer. He was arrested again three weeks later when police searched his home and found heroin, ten ounces of crack cocaine, and a starter gun. He was sentenced to three to nine years in prison, but managed to serve six months in a shock incarceration boot camp where he earned his GED. Jackson said that he did not use cocaine himself, he only sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yes, when I first found out Harry Fremont did polo Sport I scoped all of his other creations.

Roots for men is a very unique wet cucumber wet leafy scent without sweetness.

Dullah I understand what you are saying, I guess it is not only his criminal record what I dislike but the entire ganster rap culture which brings nothing positive. (bitches , guns etc) You know what I am saying.

Post Re: Fifty cent fragrance

Yes, it's a macho culture of inequality, power and violence. It's destructive and frankly quite ridiculous. Nothing life-affirming here.

On the other hand I think it's quite nave to categorically judge people who end up being criminals. Some people don't have an actual chance to do otherwise. This liberal worldview have made us believe that in Isiah Berlin's terms, it's enough to have a negative liberty - that there are no actual obstacles in your way. This is no guarantee of having an actual chance of choosing the direction of ones life.

Still looking for these celeb inspired scents but haven't found them:

Bootleg Nocturne (Amouage)
    Vote Rigger Vanilla (Coty)
    Dead or Alive (YSL)
    Inquistion Summer Musk Fresh (CK)

Some of the names have been changed to protect the innocent.
    Last edited by ortho123; 12th November 2009 at 04:25 PM.