Code of Conduct

Default Spraying beneath your clothes

OK, here's the thing. It seems to me that scents should project more when you spray areas of the skin not covered by clothes, which in most cases is your neck. Is this the case? However, I read frequently on this forum that ppl spray on parts covered by clothes, such as their chest. I was wondering does it really project well for you? It seems to me that it may not when buried underneath layers of clothing (just like covered food does not smell as strongly as uncovered food), but I am open to your insights.
    Last edited by karisuma; 16th June 2009 at 12:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spraying beneath your clothes

I can't really explain why it projects better other than the obvious fact that it not being on exposed skin it doesn't evaporate as quickly. But I can attest to the fact that I get much better sillage and longevity from spraying underneath my clothes. When you spray on your neck for example the scent is so close to your nose that you quickly get used to smell and will lose the scent quickly. If it is farther away from your nose you don't get used to it and you will smell it for the full duration of it's longevity. I definitely say give it a try at least!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

This one puzzle me also. i don't know if it projects better but i started spraying my chest here recently.

I only spray my chest, upper and middle, never my neck or any exposed areas of skin.

When you guys say chest, what part ? Where the heart is or above or beyond the chest?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    When you guys say chest, what part ? Where the heart is or above or beyond the chest?
    I spray one to each pec.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

So when u guys spray on your chest area do u let the perfume dry a bit 1st before putting clothes on? I imagine if u put clothes on straight away some will get on to your clothes.

I let all areas dry before i dress.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    It seems to me that it may not when buried underneath layers of clothing (just like covered food does not smell as strongly as uncovered food), but I am open to your insights.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=186652

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=176919

http://www.osmoz.com/News-Trends/Mag...Wear-a-Perfume

Um, okay. Firstly, you probably cover food with plastic cling film; or alfoil. These things don't "breathe" - you're trying to stop the air from spoiling the food. Secondly, you probably wear wool, cotton, silk, linen - these things breathe. Thirdly, you might have noticed, ahem, smells emanating from people, notwithstanding they are wearing clothes.

With me so far ?

Now, temperature and fragrance. Smelt hot bread ? Cold bread ? Hot coffee ? Cold coffee? Do you know someone who uses essential oil to fragrance a room ? Do they just put it in the burner, or do they light the candle underneath ? Which method gives off more fragrance ?

So, heat releases fragrance. That's why, typically, people are advised to apply perfume to the pulse points - in other words, where the blood is closest to the skin, because those points are warmed by the blood.

So, the warmth created by clothes helps release the fragrance, not lock it in.

I agree with Dr. Rudi's comments. Wearing the scent under the shirt tends to add a little heat to it, which makes the scent jump off the skin nicely, yet the clothes act as a bit of a net to keep the scent somewhat anchored to you-- so you don't just make a room smell like your cologne. Putting a scent on the neck hits some pulse points, but it always comes off too strong for me. If the options are either wearing a lot of scent on uncovered skin (where it's cooler) or a discrete amount on a warm, covered area like the chest-- I think one is definitely better off going with the second option. When a hint of a fragrance is carried by body heat, it's much more personal and sensual than blasting out a room.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Um, okay. Firstly, you probably cover food with plastic cling film; or alfoil.
    Umm, you don't need a complete cover to mask the smell. Even if you only cover, uh, part of the food container, the smell is nevertheless greatly subdued.

But yes, I do get your point.

Post Thanks / Like

The fragrance oil evaporates slower when you spray under your clothing. But, you must exfoliate with a simple scrub, like St. Ives Apricot ones, moisturize, (both to allow your skin to absorb the fragrance oil more effectively) and allow the fragrance to dry on your skin before putting on your clothing, or the oil will just transfer to the fabric of your clothing and the longevity/sillage with suffer.

Follow this friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr Rudi has most of it. The other part is that when you spray just your neck, it burns off much faster and will disappear within a much shorter period. For those of us with hair on the chest, you'll get the added bonus of the extremely extended longevity from it clinging there.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    So when u guys spray on your chest area do u let the perfume dry a bit 1st before putting clothes on? I imagine if u put clothes on straight away some will get on to your clothes.
    I actually find that if I put my shirt on right after I spray my chest, the fragrance lasts a lot longer. The fabric absorbs some of the fragrance, which slows down the evaporation. I've read that you should spray your clothes if you want a fragrance to last longest.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I actually find that if I put my shirt on right after I spray my chest, the fragrance lasts a lot longer. The fabric absorbs some of the fragrance, which slows down the evaporation. I've read that you should spray your clothes if you want a fragrance to last longest.
    When the fragrance oil gets onto the fabric, it fucks up the development of the scent, the frag doesn't "mold" to your own body scent, and the sillage is lowered. Allowing it to dry on your skin is definitely superior.

Hillaire

When I read the title of this post, I was confused....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    The fragrance oil evaporates slower when you spray under your clothing. But, you must exfoliate with a simple scrub, like St. Ives Apricot ones, moisturize, (both to allow your skin to absorb the fragrance oil more effectively) and allow the fragrance to dry on your skin before putting on your clothing, or the oil will just transfer to the fabric of your clothing and the longevity/sillage with suffer.

Follow this friends.
    So should I mosturize before or after I apply fragrance?

Post Thanks / Like

Before, I've found moisturizing after is about as effective as wiping the area you sprayed the frag on with your hand without the moisturizer on it, IE: ineffective.
    Last edited by Sokkou; 16th June 2009 at 05:49 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Spraying under clothes seems to work particularly well for me with my Creeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Spraying Guerlain Vetiver on me chest and under my armpits (both body parts slightly and gently moisturized before) is not only long lasting and intense- as far as the power of fragrance notes is concerned, but also unexpectedly skin-friendly on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Dr Rudi has most of it. The other part is that when you spray just your neck, it burns off much faster and will disappear within a much shorter period. For those of us with hair on the chest, you'll get the added bonus of the extremely extended longevity from it clinging there.
    +1 This is it guys. The more exposure to air, the faster the evaporation. Well put JR.

Post Thanks / Like

I put it on under my clothes after I've put my clothes on.

Most clothes are unaffected. Some ultra cheap brands of shirts, which are not made in China, may be affected - but they fade badly after a couple of washes anyway.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 16th June 2009 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i apply beneath my clothes and over my clothes .... if the perfume doesnt project well it is considered to be fake or something (the place where i live) ...Projection and Longivity are the major qualities to judge a fragrance here , so i have to apply under and over my clothes and the dissappoinitng thing is that this doesnt work all the time ... some fragrances are so subtle no matter what you do .....

Post Thanks / Like

I wear fragrances on exposed and covered skin for me to enjoy the lasting effects and for others to enjoy my projection/sillage.

Post Thanks / Like

Spraying on the chest, then a t shirt, then a dress shirt and tie, well, does that project at all? I can see the logic of the exposed skin and all, and the pulse points, but if my shirt is buttoned up, will the scent waft up the neck so to speak?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    if my shirt is buttoned up, will the scent waft up the neck so to speak?
    Unless your collar is kept too tight, or you've made some interesting fabric choices in the clothes selection, the scent will indeed "waft up." And it will still diffuse through the weave as well. In some respects, clothing can act as a simple gas chromatography column - slowing the release of some aromachemicals more than others.

As a result, some of the fragrances originally meant to be worn with a suit or dress, will smell completely differently as the heart notes spread out a bit. I've noticed this with Domenico Caraceni 1913 - it seemed such a well-orchestrated number when I first sampled it while wearing suit and tie, but horribly muddled under an open-necked shirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    When I read the title of this post, I was confused....
    lol...me too...

Post Thanks / Like

I did some further research in the forums and i found that there were a lot of suggestions that spraying to chest increases sillage and longevity. I experimented and its true. As i used to spray to my neck only, spraying to the chest only lessens olfactory fatigue. But i do enjoy that scent intensity that comes when spraying to the neck. So i was thinking...if i spray same number of times to the chest and neck, will that work? Or will that be a bad idea?

So i was thinking...if i spray same number of times to the chest and neck, will that work? Or will that be a bad idea?
    Do you mean spraying the chest and ALSO the neck? If that's the case, I think it defeats the purpose of spraying to the chest (i.e. preventing the olfactory fatigue).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a good thread, so someone answer the above post as I don;t know, my question though is how are we supposed to do this? If we're going to wear something like Body Kouros or a Perry Ellis 360 fragrance, do we spray onto our naked chest, then wear a t shirt? I don't see how that works as the scent is under the fabric. Shouldn't it be sprayed on your chest after you put on your t shirt?

So is this a good way, spray on chest after a shirt or t shirt is on, then spray on neck?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    This is a good thread, so someone answer the above post as I don;t know, my question though is how are we supposed to do this? If we're going to wear something like Body Kouros or a Perry Ellis 360 fragrance, do we spray onto our naked chest, then wear a t shirt? I don't see how that works as the scent is under the fabric. Shouldn't it be sprayed on your chest after you put on your t shirt?

So is this a good way, spray on chest after a shirt or t shirt is on, then spray on neck?
    Nope, you spray to your naked chest. Then put your clothes on. I also spray to my inner elbows, also underneath clothing. Trust me, it may not sound like it will work, give it a try though and then let us know if it worked for you. I can attest that as odd as it sounds it DOES work.

Post Thanks / Like

I do, it works better than spraying on skin. I must mention that I have the sense than basenotes change significantly since they deliver "personal" notes. IE, patchouli present in a very badly blended scent made by a local chemist takes a very peculiar character that is quite attractive.

I did some further research in the forums and i found that there were a lot of suggestions that spraying to chest increases sillage and longevity. I experimented and its true. As i used to spray to my neck only, spraying to the chest only lessens olfactory fatigue. But i do enjoy that scent intensity that comes when spraying to the neck. So i was thinking...if i spray same number of times to the chest and neck, will that work? Or will that be a bad idea?
    I don't recommend spraying to the neck ever. The chest is where you want to focus your application. It gives you a constant source of good sillage without ever being too loud. Try it and see. I often carry around a small dab vial of my SOTD and in addition to my 1-2 sprays to the chest, sometimes I'l dab just a little on a wrist or my neck-- just so I can sniff a specific spot for my own enjoyment.

The goal is to find that sweet spot between wearing too little(and not satisying yourself) and too much(driving other people crazy).