Code of Conduct

Default penhaglion's english fern

where can i pick up a sample of this from? i looked on tpc, and it appears they don't sell this one on it's own. from reading, though, it seems that this could be a bit redundant if one owns green irish tweed? it seems very interesting to me, and i'd like to sample to see if i should commit to a whole bottle. thank you!

eric b

Blog Entries

Default Re: penhaglion's english fern

PM sent

This is one of my husband's favorite scents.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 16th June 2009 at 05:32 AM.

Eric - English Fern is NOTHING like Green Irish Tweed, at all.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on it. Personally, I'm not fond of it, in fact it's the only Penhaligon's I could not ever see me buying.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Agree that English Fern is nothing like Green Irish Tweed.

I think of English Fern as an old fashioned, clean fragrance, which to me provides an interesting contrast to modern clean fragrances. I know I would rarely reach for it, so I won't buy it.

Agree it's nothing like Green Irish Tweed. I don't really care for it, don't know why though.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Ebay has samples of this frequently, also likely to find mini bottles of it there. Call Penhaligon's and order a scent library and ask that english fern be one of the frags in it.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I have to say that along with Elixir, English Fern is the only scent from Penhaligon's Men's line that I do not own..or care to own.

wow, looks like this is a polarizing one? lol

eric b

Which Green scent is similar to English Fern?
    (besides trumper wild fern)

I think it's just that it is, as a classic, like many other fougeres. It's a lot like lime frags. After a certain point, it just isn't possible to be terribly creative. EF is not a bad frag at all, just kind of a pervasive theme.

I think I remember finding it too sweet. I just didn't like the sweetness with the fern. Unfortunately Dullah, I haven't tried a single other fern scent, or anything that I find very similar. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this genre will have some input.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Here is a vote of L-O-V-E for English Fern. I love those marvellous green, perky and mossy scents. Trumper Wild Fern is greener and fresher than Penhaligons. The closest analogue is the late lamented Crown Fougere (which is a bit simpler but has better longevity).
    A recent point of comparison is Bois 1920 Extreme. It is a bit sweeter and has a hit of vanilla. Less aristocratic.
    That distinctive oakmoss "hit" is what makes these scents.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Thanks oddysseum.
    It must share some notes with other more common scents? no ?

Thanks oddysseum.
    It must share some notes with other more common scents? no ?
    Oakmoss is the dominant note, but oakmoss can be done in different ways, and there are different types of oakmoss.
    I can detect the same type of oakmoss in Armani pour Homme, but that is a heavier scent. Pretty nice though. That is a common scent I can point to as an analogue.
    The oakmoss in question here is green, perky, with an appealing brisk note that is something like rubber (in a nice way). The geranium in EF adds another bit of squeaky brisk soapiness. To me that is a classic "ferny" sort of note, perhaps with a bit of dry lavender.
    The patchouli is very restrained, and with a bit of light musk makes a very satisfying end.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 17th June 2009 at 04:35 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I agree with Odysseusm on that. Armani Pour Homme is a modern frag that I would consider similar to English Fern. Not identical, but definitely similar in feel.

If you can find Roger & Gallet's Fern soap, that is essentially the scent... and a really nice soap!
    odysseusm

Ok thanks both.
    I equate Armani PH's topnotes with Bowling Green's top lemon/citrus blast
    I equate Armani PH's middle/heart with a less-natural Sisley Eau Di Campagne.
    And of course the base is a heavy 80's oakmoss.

What is English Fern's top or mid notes like ?

English fern has an herbal opening, IMHO. It's crisp and somewhat floral but with a strikingly heavier "green" vibe. Frankly the middle is much the same as the top notes. Still crisp and green. There is a touch of warmth in there. hard to tell if it is attached to the middle or basenotes. (sniffing it for you now). There is either patchouli and/or pepper... I'd say it's in the base, but it could be a very good transitional middle note like another herb that carries both floral and spicy accords.

You can request free samples directly from Penhaligon's via their website. They are very generous.
    I too love EF and rate it among my favorites.

Here is how the Penhaligon's website describes English Fern:

Head Notes: Geranium and Lavender

Heart Notes: Clover

Base Notes: Patchouli, Sandalwood and Oakmoss

Created in 1910. A classic English fougere. A completely unique, fresh and earthy tonic of a fragrance.

A distillation of countryside and spiced woods. Clover, lavender and geranium bed down with oakmoss and patchouli to create a rich, green aromatic scent that oozes Englishness. A soft ‘clean’ fragrance capturing that ‘just out of the shower’ scent. English Fern encapsulates that elusive sexy, fresh, spicy, just washed quality. Imagine the exit from a steam-filled bathroom, the tender skin still slightly damp, with clouds of English Fern rolling off clean warm skin.

Delicate and finely balanced. A refreshing pick me up of a fragrance.

Your post reminds me of a good element in EF, scentsitivity. The clover adds a leafy, green-field aspect that gives more green depth to the oakmoss. With a geranium - clover - oakmoss triad, the scent is well constructed.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Your post reminds me of a good element in EF, scentsitivity. The clover adds a leafy, green-field aspect that gives more green depth to the oakmoss. With a geranium - clover - oakmoss triad, the scent is well constructed.
    I agree it is well constructed and that clover is key to its character. I also feel that Penhaligon's description maps pretty well to my experience with English Fern, although I don't think I would have used the word 'sexy' to describe it.

Ahhh, I think I know what I don't like now. I don't think I care for the combo of lavender and oakmoss. I would agree with Ody that Bois 1920 Extreme shares some similarities but whereas EF feels sort of transparent Bois 1920 Extreme feels heavier and denser, I love Extreme but don't care for EF.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I agree it is well constructed and that clover is key to its character. I also feel that Penhaligon's description maps pretty well to my experience with English Fern, although I don't think I would have used the word 'sexy' to describe it.
    This may be why I like it so much on my husband-- the clover aspect.

I have to agree that this is not a "sexy" scent-- it's classic, refined, understated but confident. An introverted scent, for when you aren't trying to make an impression.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    ...whereas EF feels sort of transparent Bois 1920 Extreme feels heavier and denser...
    Exactly my experience. I'd add that the Bois has a sweetish tinge of vanilla. Some would like it because of that, I like it in spite of that.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Exactly my experience. I'd add that the Bois has a sweetish tinge of vanilla. Some would like it because of that, I like it in spite of that.
    Haha, looks like we have exact opposite views on this one. The vanilla is actually what I love about Extreme.

Truefitt & Hill's "Grafton".

I love T&F Grafton, it is my favorite in the line. However, I'd say that it has a dusky green character due to the galbanum; it seems quite distinct from English Fern.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert View Post
    Truefitt & Hill's "Grafton".
    hmm..I didn't reaal like or dislike grafton. I'll have to post back here with my comparison of the two.

I hope the clover is dominant, and the lavender slight. I love the clean green floral smell of the little white clover buds in our yard.

hmm..I didn't reaal like or dislike grafton. I'll have to post back here with my comparison of the two.

I hope the clover is dominant, and the lavender slight. I love the clean green floral smell of the little white clover buds in our yard.
    Dullah do you have a sample of English Fern? I found the lavender quite strong though, so watch out.

got this in yesterday, thanks argogos!

initial thoughts are positive. even though i am new to this hobby, for some reason this one just smells english to me. i dunno why, but it makes sense to me. also... why didn't anyone tell me i misspelled penhaligons? lol

eric b

EF is one of the more typically English feeling scents, you are right about that.

Typos are thankfully forgiven here on Basenotes...most of the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by e-dub View Post
    why didn't anyone tell me i misspelled penhaligons? lol
    We see what we expect to see.

I usually notice typos but didn't spot yours.