Code of Conduct

Default Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna

I had to run out to the mall today. While there I passed the Crabtree & Evelyn store and decided to sniff their stuff since Nomad and Sandalwood get some praise.

I hated both of them, each of which I find dull, although the herbal quality of Nomad grows on me.

But the highlight was Sienna, which the packaging describes as: "Old-world luxury is captured in this masculine blend of leather, spice, and warm woody notes with a hint of fire and herbs."

Hint of fire and herbs? I'll take a hit off this doob! The stuff smells really nice and way back when. Sort of in the musk and Aramis period, I think. I was too young back then, but I imagine it's something you'd wear with a moustache and a nice polyester shirt while you take the neighborhood fox out to see Cannonball Run on Saturday night. And you smoke in the theater while the movie is on.

Sienna is da bomb. Cheap too. With purchase of the box of matching soaps the 100ml edt is US$35.

Great stuff. Anyone else with me?
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna

I liked it at first, then it was too much, but that was a while ago. I need to revisit it. Also, there's an even cheaper frag that is very similar: Mustang by Dorall, which I picked up at a local garage sale about a year ago. It may be the strong musk I don't really like. I prefer strong wood, tobacco, incense, etc., but not with musk added.

I liked it quite well also and reminded me of the polo era. Although I am fond, I have yet to buy a bottle. I will have to revisit this when I am in the mall again.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I had no plan to buy when I tried it, but a bit of sniffing it in the store and I sure wanted to wear it tomorrow.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Sienna reminded me a bit of Tuscany/Etruscan and even some powerhouse frags from the 80's and thus... I liked it. And although it also has a formal, old-school quality actually opposed to the (traditional) idea of attractiveness, for some odd (or not so odd) reason, it also gets female compliments.

I've never tried the edt but I used to use the shaving cream which smelled really nice, too. Unfortunately, it wasn't that great shaving-wise and was very expensive actually (around €21 or $28 for a jar of 150ml). Nowadays I use Taylor's Avocado exclusively...
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

It's better than Sex Panther allright, but somehow I never wear it much. I agree 100% with the categorizations.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thumbs up Re: Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna

Sienna is way underrated, imo. Old-school, yes maybe, but somehow it doesn't smell like the old-guy type of fragrance (to borrow my girlfriend's expression). I perceive it more like an inoffensive spice-and-leather scent that doesn't have a loud projection, and tends to calm me down.

The shower gel is fantastic, by the way - great for layering with orientals, and can be gotten for cheap at one of their sales.

Sur la Plage

I always liked Sienna and used to own a bottle.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Got it form my wife. I wore it yesterday and got compliments form her. She thinks it resembles Equipage by Hermes.

I did not like at first, I do now. It is traditional, not groundbraking, but clearly away form what is in fashion nowadays.
    Last edited by Pollux; 16th June 2009 at 02:39 PM.

I love Sienna and wear it pretty frequently, I think it’s really good quality. It reminds me of Aramis Devin, especially the galbanum you get right when you first spray it, but with the musk and spices, it feels much warmer than Devin, almost like a cross between Devin and Obsession. I actually get more of an early 90’s vibe from it than 70’s-80’s.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

I agree that Sienna is a nice leather scent, probably too often overlooked. Isn't it interesting how many of us find it similar to different Aramis products? Maybe it splits the difference between them. Maybe that means it's not very innovative, but it sure is nice.

As for price, I find Crabtree & Evelyn too expensive generally and sales are too infrequent. Personally, for about the same amount of money, I'd rather just get Aramis, but vive la difference!

My wife got me a bottle and I must say that I like it and enjoyed wearing it, but never replaced it when it was gone..... It is very old school but in the best sort of way.

Agree that it is a lot like Devin, probably a bit drier. Not one I tend to wear often, but very good. I'd end up using Dunhill '34 first though or Z-14. Duration was so-so for me.

FWIW, I find that I can skip Nomad... I like Chrome more, even though Nomad smells more organic.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I have the body wash and love the woody aroma. Regardig the EDT, I prefer C&E Sandalwood but Sienna is a close second.

I wore it way back in the early '90s. It is fantastic, very classic, masculine to be sure. A bit too nondescript for me right now though, but I may own it again one day.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

This is my favorite from the Crabtree & Evelyn family.....I do like most of their scents, but I do believe this one stands out.....I had a bottle at one time but never bought this again.....Gary

I love Sienna. In fact, I have a bottle (I'm female). I've never worn it out and about. After reading the post just now, I went and sprayed a bit into a cotton ball and swiped it across my wrist.I first bought it in the form of the black bars of soap.When I noticed that the appearance of the soap had changed a few years ago, I got paranoid that the scent would be discontinued/reformulated and snapped up a bottle of the EDT.
    Last edited by leffleur; 17th June 2009 at 04:04 AM.

I have often contemplated purchasing this one, as I use the Sienna shaving cream and deo quite often. I think this thread is going to push me over the edge.

Basenotes Institution

The name Sienna does not conjure up any of the categorizations you've all described. What an oddly named scent.

The comparisions to Devin intrigue me. Does Sienna have a galbanum top note (is it green?)
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Yes the comparisions of Devin mix with Obsession hits it on the head. Sienna does have a rich galbanum note that make me think of Devin and the old long gone Nino Curruti.

Sad for me it does not last long on my skin

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Yes the comparisions of Devin mix with Obsession hits it on the head. Sienna does have a rich galbanum note that make me think of Devin and the old long gone Nino Curruti.
    Yes, I agree. I forgot I actually did a side by side with Sienna and Nino Cerruti PH a few months back because I caught the similarities too. I think they’re most similar in the top, when the galbanum is most prominent.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Sienna reminded me a bit of Tuscany/Etruscan and even some powerhouse frags from the 80's and thus... I liked it. And although it also has a formal, old-school quality actually opposed to the (traditional) idea of attractiveness, for some odd (or not so odd) reason, it also gets female compliments.

I agree. Very much like Aramis' Tuscany.

Bossa like.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I found a bottle of eau de carven in my late grandpa's cupboard dated around 50s.
    Sienna reminds me of that... Its really amazing, not necessarily to be called old man's stuff.
    Though I wonder whats " hint of fire "

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by swapnil; 4th December 2013 at 11:25 AM.

I have a large decant of this stuff, but I rarely wear it. It reminds me too much of Obsession, which for personal reasons to me, is very dated. In any event, I have a full bottle of Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne, which is basically the same thing as both of these, but more wearable.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)