Code of Conduct

Default Please help: Menthol-Bubblegum-Tabac Scent

Hi again!

I have a maybe very special question: I once used a foam for washing hands. It was some strange mixture of strong menthol notes (a little bit like toothpaste, but also a little bit like shaving cream), there also was a decent tabac-aroma in it, and all together, to make it more strange, it had kind of a bubblegummish atmosphere to it, maybe this was again that toothpaste-aroma.

This may sound terrible, but it totally wasn't! It was a VERY atmospheric, deep, dark but clean scent, and i couldn't stop sniffing my hands. Since then I am searching for a fragrances that transports that atmosphere... somthing bubblegumish-dark-menthol-tobacco-like, as strange at is may sound...

Maybe one of You ever smelled that foam for handwashing? I found that in the washing room in a department store...no way to find out what brand it was. May it be a perfume close to my description, or maybe somebody knows the brand of that cleansing foam... it would help me a loooot!

I think once I had some menthol shaving foam, that was a little bit similar.

Hoping for Your responses... Thank You!
    Last edited by YourSound; 17th June 2009 at 02:07 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Please help: Menthol-Bubblegum-Tabac Scent

What flavor bubblegum?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hmm... menthol? No, what I mean is more such a bubblegum-feel... hard to describe, maybe "fresh and delicious" at same time... makes U want to chew... hmmm.

Have you ever tried Baldessarini ?

It isn't heavy on the menthol but you might try Penhaligon's Lp9. Some similar are Opium PH (the EDP has more of the "bubblegum" feel), or Avon Mesmerize. they seem to fit you description. Ice*MEN too, though more on the menthol side than the bubblegum and tabac. Between those four, you should find a friend.
    Last edited by argogos; 17th June 2009 at 05:04 AM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Blog Entries

In a recent thread on Prada Amber pour Homme, I mentioned a surprising bubblegum-like note. SculptureofSoul suggested it was the myrrh-- a sweet incense. I have since sniffed actual myrrh and picked up what I can definitely and only describe as bubblegum! I can't otherwise think of anything that precisely describes what you're looking for, but if you end up needing to layer some scents to recreate your soap, keep myrrh in mind.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Have you ever tried Baldessarini ?
    Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    It isn't heavy on the menthol but you might try Penhaligon's Lp9. Some similar are Opium PH (the EDP has more of the "bubblegum" feel), or Avon Mesmerize. they seem to fit you description. Ice*MEN too, though more on the menthol side than the bubblegum and tabac. Between those four, you should find a friend.

excellent suggestions...Lp No.9 would edge Baldessarini by a notch or two in the bubble gum department...

other scents tht remind me of menthol flavored, bubble gummish toothpaste would be Bond No.9 Riverside Drive, Geir Ness....however, both arent tobacco based..

I was also going to mention Baldessarini and Prada Amber Pour Homme.

Baldessarini has mint, tobacco and a strong bubblegum accord.

Prada Amber PH is very soapy/shaving cream-like and reminds me of bubblegum cigarettes that I used to get in my Easter basket.

Both are very good.

Basenotes Institution

Try Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Cartier Roadster.

Thank You everybody for Your ideas!
    I own already Prada Amber pour Homme and love it, but it's a different direction. It does not have that darker, tabac style (but also does not need it... it's simply different; A really wonderful scent!)

I always thought, Balderassini was a Brand, sth comparable to Hugo Boss (that's why I always ignored it )...? Is it a single fragrance? Or do You mean a specific perfume from that Brand? Sounds interesting!!! If it has a "mint, tobacco and a strong bubblegum accord", it sounds perfect!

I also know Riverside Drive, it is delicious and really has that Toothpaste accord, but it smells simply too expensive and also not dark.

I will try on next opportunity all Your suggestions. Maybe that Balderassini Thing could be perfect! Maybe also I will check again through various handwashing foams, hehe... just to give You an exact idea of whta I meant.

Ah yes! I had another Idea, If You know Dior Homme Intense, imagine away that Sweetness... that's already close to what I mean... maybe add more tobacco and bubblegum, here we go!

I sometimes get a bubblegum vibe from geranium or ylang ylang. Geranium especially goes well with minty or herbal notes. It may be worthwhile to do a note search on the BN directory.

There are a few Baldessarini flankers now, but it's a branch of Hugo Boss. I find that the EdC has decent longevity, but there is a concentrated version that most BNers who have tried both seem to prefer, even at higher cost.

Though not minty, Etat Libre's Encens et Bubblegum is a very neat, very different, and very wearable scent. I just got my hands on a sample of Malle Geranium PH, which has a combo of minty/menthol and sweet topnotes.

Baldessarini is decent - kind of a sweet tobacco cologne but don't spend a lot on it. I've seen it at discount stores.