Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Ubar...just gorgeous-What do you think?

I just tried my Amouage Ubar sample and drat! There's another beautiful 'must have' for me.

Notes are: Bergamot, Lemon, Lilly-of-Valley, Damscene Rose, Jasmine, Civet, Vanilla

This reminds me of old-school scents like Rochas, Caron & Patou. It is a soft oriental, as there doesn't seem to be any amber (none listed) it is not 'konk-you-on-the-head' oriental, just creamy & sensuous.
    It does remind me of some other scent. I wish I could think of it.

Do you have any ideas?
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th June 2009 at 09:59 PM.

Default Re: Ubar...just gorgeous-What do you think?

I found my sample of Ubar and put a little drop on my arm. My god, what a revelation. I agree that it is reminiscent of old Caron and Rochas 'fumes. This is what old-school perfumery was all about. Rich, lasting, bold - all those things without being overpowering or vulgar. I find the use of the lemon/muguet combo very interesting in Ubar - I think it adds a piquancy that keeps the whole from getting bogged down.

I count this as a must-have, too. I sampled it a few months ago and as soon as I could hoard the $$, I got it. Must say that it can be a sillage monster, though. Gotta go easy on the spray around civilized peoples. Absolute gorgeousness!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

I've been quite curious about sampling this as I've had such success with Jubilation 25---thank you dear Kumquat! The notes sound lovely except for the civet....it really scares me. Is it very evident?
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Blog Entries

I would say no. The civet is minimal and just gives it some oomph, probably in lieu of oakmoss. To me, this is unusual because it looked like it might be heavy with the civet & vanilla, but it is a delicate oriental. The bergamot, lemon & lov keep it kind of jaunty, if you can picture it. Am #25 is much more dramatic by comparison, but it's equally as beautiful.

Ah, I’ll have to add that back to my sample wish list.

Question, is it ‘scary gorgeous’ or just ‘gorgeous’? If you know what I mean
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I would say no. The civet is minimal and just gives it some oomph, probably in lieu of oakmoss. To me, this is unusual because it looked like it might be heavy with the civet & vanilla, but it is a delicate oriental. The bergamot, lemon & lov keep it kind of jaunty, if you can picture it. Am #25 is much more dramatic by comparison, but it's equally as beautiful.
    Thanks for explaining. I particularly am keen on your use of the word 'delicate'. I can't think of any civet-heavy fragrance I would label 'delicate'.
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

I'm going to have to dig my sample back out because when I last tested it I thought it was lovely but both light and fleeting.... maybe my nose was tired.

May I suggest for sampling (if you like Ubar) Micallef's Mon Parfum? Also fantastic.

Blog Entries

I just ordered this one. I know! I'm out of control. But I wanted to mention, It was $60 cheaper, even with shipping to the states, at Les Senteurs. So, check it out. http://shop.lessenteurs.com/

Kess, I have to say, "Don't be afraid." This is really a quiet oriental. That is the appeal for me. I am a big chypre/green fan. I have grown weary of heavy ambers, which is what I find so charming here. I haven't tried Mic. Mon Parfum, but it could be the exception. All the Mic. I tried were very sweet with either tonka or vanilla, IMO. That was not the case in UBAR. The vanilla wasn't too sweet. It seems to just work with the civet to mellow it.
    Last edited by kumquat; 19th June 2009 at 07:20 PM.

I just ordered this one. I know! I'm out of control. But I wanted to mention, It was $60 cheaper, even with shipping to the states, at Les Senteurs. So, check it out. http://shop.lessenteurs.com/

Kess, I have to say, "Don't be afraid." This is really a quiet oriental. That is the appeal for me. I am a big chypre/green fan. I have grown weary of heavy ambers, which is what I find so charming here. I haven't tried Mic. Mon Parfum, but it could be the exception. All the Mic. I tried were very sweet with either tonka or vanilla, IMO. That was not the case in UBAR. The vanilla wasn't too sweet. It seems to just work with the civet to mellow it.
    Wish I would have had your info before I ordered mine. I ordered from Lucky Scent, I believe (or maybe Aedes??? Sheesh, can't remember). I'll bookmark Les Senteurs for future reference, though. Great purchase!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Another resounding Yesssssss from Sunny S.C. And many thanks for the Scenteurs tip dear Kumquat!!!....so far I have resisted the impulse to defy common sense AND my Financial Advisor and invest.

One of the few Amouages I've tried that RULLY left me sockless!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I do kind of miss the old Ubar bottle, though the new one is splendid as well. The original was shaped as a stylized sand dune, in homage no doubt, to the ancient city of Ubar which was literally lost to the sands of Arabia. If memory serves me well, I think the box was a tan-apricot color that further implied sand and desert.

Hillaire

I will just add that, Ubar is probably my favorite smell on Earth. Really.

Blog Entries

Well, Here it is. I thought I would show you the new bottle. It might be hard to see.
    But this bottle had an airbrushed gold on it that gets lighter and more transparent toward the top.
    So, those of you who worried that the new bottle wouldn't be in keeping with the dessert theme, I think it is right on the money.
    I get a sand storm sensation from this, even more than from the perfume.

Last edited by kumquat; 3rd July 2009 at 08:41 PM.

kumquat---that is a stunner! Are you worshipping it right now? Are you covered in it's lovely contents?

Blog Entries

You know it! I decided it's all about the lilly. It has a woody lotus throughout.

Although it is not my favorite Amouage (that would have to be Dia or Gold), I am impressed with Ubar. I don't pick up much in the way of woodiness, but rather a sort of all-floral-notes-merging-into-one-good-flower prettiness similar to Joy.

I certainly liked it better than Jubalation 25, but sadly I can't stand lily

notes I don't know what it is about the lily but to me it smells like the

cough syrup I so dreaded taking as a child, but on the other hand

once the opening notes of lily move out of the way its amazing

I love the rose its classic but still very warm but the great thing

about Ubar is its never "fake" If it weren't so expensive i may have a bottle

of it on my dresser
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

Off-Scenter

I sampled and reviewed Ubar just the other day, and I too was impressed. Like Gold and Dia, I believe it does the Amouage line much credit.

I've sampled Ubar several times now, and while I like it very much, it is not my favorite of the line. Thank God. All I need is more Amougae on my wishlist. It is a bit too pretty and floral on me. Leesee put her finger on it: a bit of a "Joy"-like scent. Those never work on me.

I think I've mixed up XXV and 25: ONE of them is a favorite, along with Lyric.

EDIT: Yes, the Jubilation 25 for Women is the one I love.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 14th July 2009 at 03:08 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Blog Entries

The Jubilation #25 (not XXV men's version) is gorgeous! That's possibly what you are thinking of. The men's is more woody/spicy. The women's has a richer more earthy blend. I think it has cardamom and it has the old-style Caron/Rochas oakmoss feel.

I have the original Ubar. Bought it because it smells like the inside of my mother handbag. Spicy and tobacco.
    DONNA

The Jubilation #25 (not XXV men's version) is gorgeous! That's possibly what you are thinking of. The men's is more woody/spicy. The women's has a richer more earthy blend. I think it has cardamom and it has the old-style Caron/Rochas oakmoss feel.
    Yes, that's it. I finally got it straight. I ADORE Jubilation 25.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Kumquat, Jubilation 25 strikes me as a Caron-style scent, too! It also has that refined, dry elegance found in many Chanel scents.

Could you tell me how one finds out the cost of shipping to the USA from Les Senteurs ? I've emailed them twice, but had no reply.

I tried Ubar a couple of times - got a sample from Les Senteurs, even - and though it didn't wow me (no Amouage has done that) it really wasn't "humungous" as LT describes it. And whatever civet was in it wasn't too troubling, which says a lot coming from me.

But Micallef Mon Parfum was way prettier and lighter for my money, while somehow managing to be quite perfumey and luxurious at the same time - or at least initially. Less powdery - and quite unlike a Micallef generally. It had an unusual combination of fruits and vetiver that worked though you might not think so from the notes. Very silky and whisper soft on the drydown.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 14th July 2009 at 08:29 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

Kumquat - the bottle is fabulicious and also it is indeed a beautiful soft oriental .I like most Amouages except for Lyric which is OK but this and Jubilation 25 are gorgeous.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 14th July 2009 at 09:00 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Kumquat -

Just looked at the photo of your bottle. That air-brushed gold finish (and the way it gets more transparent at the top) is incredible . And very evocatively sandy!

Ubar is fantastic, but it took me a couple wearings to appreciate it fully. Classical, mysterious, and dark while remaining somehow delicate. And for some reason, it's far more Caron than most Carons.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 22nd April 2010 at 07:15 AM.

Is this different from the original? I remember many years ago, before I was interested in "women's" perfumes I got some samples of the women's Amouages. I was absolutely floored by Silver for ladies and Ubar. I can still remember what Silver smelled like -it left such an impression, but I can't recall exactly what Ubar was like. Even my brother who hates perfume thought that Ubar was incredible... I remember feeling envious that women got to wear such amazing perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    Is this different from the original? I remember many years ago, before I was interested in "women's" perfumes I got some samples of the women's Amouages. I was absolutely floored by Silver for ladies and Ubar. I can still remember what Silver smelled like -it left such an impression, but I can't recall exactly what Ubar was like. Even my brother who hates perfume thought that Ubar was incredible... I remember feeling envious that women got to wear such amazing perfumes
    Ubar was discontinued in the mid-'90s and re-released as an EdP recently ( I think just last year...? ) Apparently the modern formulation is darker, heavier, more floral, less sandalwood, and I'm pretty sure that's what I've smelled. To my nose, it really smells like some vintage French parfum, in the best possible sense.

Hillaire

I only know the new. But as Galamb points out, the older is ostensibly thinner and brighter. I love the new one so much I would not change a thing. It's hands-down my favorite Oriental on earth. I have a 100ml I got at Xmas, and it's 45 % gone. That's how much I love it.

The closest thing to it -- IMO -- is Guerlain's recent beauty Plus Que Jamais, which strikes me as Ubar extended with Songes, and at a comparable price, I'd pick the Ubar any day.

Hillaire, ha!! you must be wearing ubar every other day :-)
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Lessa View Post
    Wish I would have had your info before I ordered mine. I ordered from Lucky Scent, I believe (or maybe Aedes??? Sheesh, can't remember). I'll bookmark Les Senteurs for future reference, though. Great purchase!
    Hi! These guys are probably more reasonable, do 100 mls anyway,

http://www.fascination-perfumery.co....E_PERFUME.html

-n ship fast too (no affiliation).

Eleanore

The first time I tested UBAR on my hand; I knew that I was smitten. To me it is what a perfume should smell like--VOLUPTUOUS AND RICH. When I wear it , I feel so special. And the scent lasts and lasts. God how I love this perfume. Although it's not my favourate perfume--Lyric Woman takes that place with its flawless beauty--my heart still flutters when I see the bottle. I would be happy wearing Amouage for the rest of my life-but only when they come up with a pure rose scent.

I love Ubar, I'm crazy ga ga over Ubar. Ubar completes me. What else can I say?!
    Yes, I am certifiable.
    Last edited by Eleanore; 28th April 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Eleanore, have you tried Lyric Man? It's not "pure rose" but it's far more rose-dominant than Lyric Woman or Homage, and quite definitely wearable by a woman.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Plus

Eleanor - if you like quality rose, have you tried Homage? - it is my favourite Amouage - and that is an awfully hard decision! (Where I find the Lyrics entrancing, Homage just intoxicates).

n.b. The rose used in Homage is obtained from a variety of Rosa damascena trigintipetala known as Rose Taifi, referring to the growing location. It's a very costly and sought after attar indeed, the costliest rose, although Amouage do produce a more basic rose attar using another rose oil which is much lighter.

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issu...es.of.taif.htm
    Last edited by lpp; 1st May 2010 at 05:23 PM.