Code of Conduct

Default Tested A*Men Pure Malt Today...

I think it might've been a mistake for me testing it in this weather. It was 89 degrees today with humidity @ 67% and I think I was overwhelmed by the scent. Tested it on skin, 2 sprays, and initially I thought it was rather nice at first, the coffee note was robust much the way I thought it should've been with Pure Coffee.

I walked out of the store into the heat and enter the boozey notes--it didn't remind me of any kind of Scotch or Whiskey. Actually it reminded me of a strong fruity liqueur--smelled like jackfruit or apricots and booze.

The patchouli was tucked in there quite well, and I couldn't sniff out any tar notes, so that was a plus.

I did catch something offputting--something smelled waxy or plasticky as an undertone, but overall the whole composition was quite smooth.

So to sum it up, to me they amped up Pure Coffee and added booze and a fruit note. I don't think it was a wise idea to test this today, because to me the scent was just too cloying in this heat--to the point of a looming headache.

If there was anything woody or smoky about this EdT, it was definitely not the focus, especially the smoky part of it. I thought it smelled very sweet--almost too sweet for my liking.

So did anyone test it and got the same thoughts as I did????? This is too much for warm weather. If I was to make an official vote, I think Pure Coffee is a better scent overall, but I praise Pure Malt for sillage and longevity and I think it smells even more expansive than the original.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 18th June 2009 at 05:21 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Default Re: Tested A*Men Pure Malt Today...

I love pure malt. I love it so much that I purchased 5 bottles of it. The SA was so grateful she gave me a full (never opened) bottle of Pure Coffee as a gift! She also gave me a bunch of pure coffee samples as well. Here are some pics....

The Pure Malt in this pic is hiding behind the Canali aftershave

And here are three more Pure malts stacked on top of one another. Behind the Pure malts is a bottle of Pure coffee. Sorry the last pic is kinda blurry.

Last edited by Maz24; 18th June 2009 at 06:53 AM.

I purchased this last month. Can't wait for the fall to give this a full wearing.
    I don't know why, but something in Pure Malt reminds me of CDG Tar. I assume it has the Tar note, but I thought it was toned down.

[QUOTE=iMaverick;1541832
    I did catch something offputting--something smelled waxy or plasticky as an undertone, but overall the whole composition was quite smooth.

[/QUOTE]

You know, I get a little bit of that too. And I also got that feeling from my bottle of B*Men. Oddly, in my collection, those two both come in the rubber flasks and smell waxy/rubbery. I didn't get that note from my regular glass bottle of A*Men, nor from any of my other non-rubber encased Muglers. I think it's possible that we're experiencing a bit of the "flask smell" and it's influencing the overall perception of the scent.

Maz, that's hardcore. I tried this one once on a card and it smelled great. The other time I tried on my skin but I don't think I got its full potential since I didn't give it good sprays and it reminded me a bit of A*Men if I recall right and the boozy top wasn't all that strong. I hope I can get a bottle by the time fall comes around at a discount price somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    I think it might've been a mistake for me testing it in this weather. It was 89 degrees today with humidity @ 67% and I think I was overwhelmed by the scent. Tested it on skin, 2 sprays, and initially I thought it was rather nice at first, the coffee note was robust much the way I thought it should've been with Pure Coffee.

I walked out of the store into the heat and enter the boozey notes--it didn't remind me of any kind of Scotch or Whiskey. Actually it reminded me of a strong fruity liqueur--smelled like jackfruit or apricots and booze.

The patchouli was tucked in there quite well, and I couldn't sniff out any tar notes, so that was a plus.

So to sum it up, to me they amped up Pure Coffee and added booze and a fruit note. I don't think it was a wise idea to test this today, because to me the scent was just too cloying in this heat--to the point of a looming headache.

If there was anything woody or smoky about this EdT, it was definitely not the focus, especially the smoky part of it. I thought it smelled very sweet--almost too sweet for my liking.

So did anyone test it and got the same thoughts as I did????? This is too much for warm weather. If I was to make an official vote, I think Pure Coffee is a better scent overall, but I praise Pure Malt for sillage and longevity and I think it smells even more expansive than the original.
    I thought it was way too sweet, it made me nauseous and could not wait to scrub it when I got home

And this was only one spray. I am glad I got to test it but there is no way I can wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Maz, that's hardcore. I tried this one once on a card and it smelled great. The other time I tried on my skin but I don't think I got its full potential since I didn't give it good sprays and it reminded me a bit of A*Men if I recall right and the boozy top wasn't all that strong. I hope I can get a bottle by the time fall comes around at a discount price somewhere.
    What can I say, I love Pure Malt. It smells really good on me, and my wife loves it. It's a win-win situation. What's weird though is that I only like Pure Malt and Pure Coffee, but no other mugler fragrance.
    Last edited by Maz24; 18th June 2009 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I thought it was way too sweet, it made me nauseous and could not wait to scrub it when I got home

And this was only one spray. I am glad I got to test it but there is no way I can wear it.
    The last time I smelled something so sweet was from a bottle of Xeryus Rouge. Running a close second was Dunhill Desire (red bottle).

Pure Malt was sweet and thick enough to make me feel like I have a kind of a buzz

It also reminds me of Baldessarini Ambre--boozey, fruity, but there are leathery notes that more apparent which gives the scent a bit of balance. Pure Malt was a thick gob of liqueur.

Granted, I think by body chemistry just loves to bring out the sweeter notes in a scent, and I think PM does react differently with individuals because I've read some reviews where people thought that PM wasn't sweet at all and thought that the original A*Men was sweeter. That's news to me because A*Men always smelled of a woody-patchouli vanilla that edges towards the dry side.

Everyone, don't get me wrong. I do like this scent--I think it would smell rather comforting in cold weather. Just not right now. In this weather I was surprised that I didn't attract bugs diving straight for my wrist! HA!
    Last edited by iMaverick; 18th June 2009 at 06:37 PM.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Seems like there aren't that many pure malt fans here...

Got my bottle today and I absolutely love it.
    Smells very similar to A*men but smoother. Definitely smells richer than the original.
    Not as sweet as the original. A must try for A*men lovers.
    This is not as different to the original as was 'Pure Coffee'.
    The flask looks awesome too. Ofcourse it looks exactly the same but the whiskey colour
    juice that sparkles through the plain cut out star blends so beautifully with the dark flask.

I think it's time to get a backup bottle before it disappears.
    Can someone tell me how much does this sell for at stores in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Can someone tell me how much does this sell for at stores in the US?
    $70
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Love Pure Malt. Well worth the purchase

Tried it and liked it but to be honest, I couldn't detect too much of a difference between this and the regular A*Men. I never got burnt tar in the original though, this seemed a little more boozy, a little less foody, but I can't imagine needing both in your wardrobe.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Re: Maz24

Maz, fantastic you picked up so many bottles. I have been following you spending habits since your thread re: your wife curbing your spending and I live through you vicariously.

In all seriousness, I think it is a real good idea to snatch up 5 bottles because take a look at A*MEN Pure Coffee and how it is very tough to find now and the fact that is snatches up-wards of $200 on Ebay and it even sells for a lot on BN. Good call and congrats.

I had a fantastic bottle of A*MEN Pure Coffee and I seriously loved it, sweet, clean, and coffeeish (sp.), however it gave me a very nasty rash every time I wore it. I tested it like 15-20 times with that many wearings and every single time it gave me a horrid and gross rash that was quite painful too. I ended up selling it on BN for around $45 a few months ago, oh well I was just happy to get it to someone who did not develop bloody sores soon after application.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I spritzed on A*MEN Pure Malt at Nordstroms and walked around all day with my gf and did a good amount of shopping and we both agreed that the longevity and sillage were somewhat lacking. But, still need to test this bad boy again, it smells magnigicent.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 14th July 2009 at 08:41 AM.

Sur la Plage

I think Pure Malt is pretty fantastic - as are all of the Mugler fragrances.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I like the idea of Pure Malt but it was just too sweet for me. Possibly the weather plays a role, but something about the big sweet note mixed with peat malt doesn't work nearly as well as the Pure Coffee version. Now Pure Coffee is a fantastic new fragrance - but I still think it might be better in cooler weather! - it was 104 degrees here yesterday!

Very good, but not better than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I like the idea of Pure Malt but it was just too sweet for me. Possibly the weather plays a role, but something about the big sweet note mixed with peat malt doesn't work nearly as well as the Pure Coffee version. Now Pure Coffee is a fantastic new fragrance - but I still think it might be better in cooler weather! - it was 104 degrees here yesterday!
    And I was complaining that it was too sickly sweet at 89 degrees!

I did have to prove myself that the weather had to do something with it, and when the weather dropped a few degrees, I went back and tested it again. I was darned smooth, except for that waxy note that still persisted after the opening, but sure enough, it was Pure Coffee with the caffeine replaced with a fruity liqueur and on steroids. I would stick with Pure Coffee if it weren't for the longevity issues on me. I can barely smell it after 2 hours. It might be longer lasting, but I suspect that a musk is being used at the base that I might be anosmic to.

I liked it enough to buy Pure Malt on the second try, except I do have to wait for cooler weather when I wear it. It's just too sweet in the heat.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 15th July 2009 at 12:05 AM.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    I would stick with Pure Coffee if it weren't for the longevity issues on me. I can barely smell it after 2 hours.
    I agree with you on the poor longevity of 'Pure Coffee' however it has been almost 20 hours since I sprayed 'Pure Malt' on myself and I can still get wafts of it without having to dig my nose into my skin.

The drydown is indeed akin to that of A*men.

I love Pure Malt. It reminded me more of Angel for women than any of his men's fragrances, except possibly for B*Men. Pure Coffee is also a winner.

sounds interesting ... I cant wait to try it although the fruity note is not for me
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.