Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Armani Eau Pour Homme. A decline

I was fortunate to get some Versace l'Homme at a good price recently. Very potent stuff! Discovering and enjoying some of the "classics" is a major thing I look forward to with this hobby.

For all those looking for what Armani Pour Homme used to be, may I suggest Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo.
    It is just that. Perhaps better.

This saddens me, I have always worn and enjoyed this frag. But I must say the new version, although not as good, good enough to get the job done. But to many of our Classics are being reformulated

Such is the fate of most fragrances it seems

Well, you would want a cheapened version of this to wear with your Chinese-assembled Armani watch (production cost $5) and low-end stitched-together-in-Romania Armani suit. Ahh, sweatshop "luxury."
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

One of the best accords ever, and it used to be a great fragrance. It's still there in the new stuff, but the overall fragrance has become a little cheap and annoying.

The older fragrance formulas (mostly designer) are generally more intricate, and have a hard time accommodating the current IFRA regulations. This one is a classic example. Still prefer it to the majority of niche fragrances, though.
    Last edited by pluran; 25th January 2013 at 07:24 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

A real shame for this was my 'signature' scent in early 1990s. I've outgrown it since but it does bring back the bitter sweet memories...
    Currently wearing: Cuoio by Odori

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    I must say that I just bought a 50 ml (1.7 oz) at a large department store here in Brazil.

The bottle/box/juice color is absolutely identical to the older "vintage" version that's in the pics on this thread (and the one I purchased back in january 2007).

They are ONLY selling these "vintage" bottles, they have many and the SA didn't even believe me about the existence of this different bottle.

I'm still to do a side-by-side comparison, but I wanted to get an extra bottle of this. Of course, there is also the risk of a reformulated juice in a vintage bottle, but I decided to take this chance, considering that even the reformulation is potentially great stuff.

The downside: it's really expensive to purchase fragrances in physical stores here, that's why I always try to do my shops in international websites. Obviously, this was a deserved exception.

So, anyone have seen the current formulation being sold in the vintage bottle?
    Hi from Italy here,

as Armani pour Homme is among my favourite scents (and the most Italian smelling juice ever IMHO), after reading this post I run to a perfume shop in my town and asked about this story of reformulation. The sa stared at me surprised and told me there is only 1 Armani Pour Homme (as in the picture of the vintage version posted by Scentemental :brolly. I bought a bottle on the spot and made the comparison with my nearly empty 20 years old bottle. Result: same bottle, same box, same smell.
    So, I agree, second and confirm the words of the Brazilian basenoter.

Should I guess that in Italy or in Brazil there are still stocks of older bottles?

Cheers

Hi scentemental -

I wanted to verify this as some contradictions have come up. I thought that "89% Vol." was listed on the older juice...? I have a bottle sold to me as "Vintage" with the code on the bottle not verifiable by Checkcosmetic.net - usually a good sign for Vintage scents. Plus, it smells wonderful and rich.

I bought the exact 50ml boxed bottle pictured in your post from a dealer not too long ago (no "89% Vol." printed on it) - it dates back to mid-2006. On the back, both Oakmoss and Treemoss are in the list of ingredients. It has "80% Vol" volume listed. So, I would have to think that older juice is actually listed with "89% Vol" as the 2006 juice is very nice, but has limited oakmoss in it (since it is post-IFRA's ban on the wonderful note & fixative that is that precious lichen). But, this is contradictory to what you say.

I have to say that between the two bottles, they smell rather close...but the bottle sold as Vintage with a gold-plated bottom smells wonderful. Neither has excellent longevity - but I find a bit more in the "89% Vol." juice...with some more depth.

This is confusing a bit. Another reviewer wrote this:

"I actually have 2 bottles of this...One marked 80% and another marked 89%. Let me say that the 80% volume has greater depth and longevity. I use the 89% for casual wear and keep the 80% for more formal times. This will always be a favorite of mine."

I am curious to know more for sure...is the "89% Vol." for sure the reformulation? As someone put forth, the latest reformulation only says "ARMANI" in the middle and "eau pour homme" at the bottom of the glass. Oakmoss would be even less than the 2006 juice I have - and the bottle has once again, changed slightly. By the way, 2006 juice is NOT Vintage for all those wondering. IFRA's ban on oakmoss started phasing in around 2000/2001, to my knowledge.

Check out the latest bottle shown in ads from Armani - http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAw&dur=549

Curious if people know more or have some evidence - for example, who has a bottle from the 90's? What does it look like? I consider this a 'reference scent' in citrus. It is one I've known for years and it seems to balance the classicism of Monsieur de Givenchy and Eau Sauvage with a nice, contemporary feel. Actually, not a dated fragrance to me at all. Formal and wonderful.

Nothing short of wonderful...!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Vintage Packaging

Current Packaging (reformulated fragrance)

Last edited by ericrico; 25th January 2013 at 02:19 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I got this when it first came out in stores but my feeling is that any release of this classic is worth having.

I've concluded that very few will ever be as it was back then, especially in the designer realm.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Hi all, the two bottles depicted on Ericrico's post (by Scentemental) are NOT vintage ones.
    Vintage ones are like this (sse picture), with the percentage of alcohol (in this case 89%), and NO bar-codes on the box.

About lists of ingredients: here is Rear of the box in 2008 (left) and 2004 (right)

Hello Andre -

Thank you. I am a little confused here as the bottles (which I think are actually Vintage - listed with 'eau pour homme' and '89% Vol' look identical. Boxes aside, as I found a bottle identical to what you show (which is the same as Scentemental's bottle)...it came without a box.

Here is the key. Please take a picture of the bottom of your bottle and post it. I would like to see the base plate. It is much appreciated and I think will shed light on this.

Thank you, my friend.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    Hi all, the two bottles depicted on Ericrico's post (by Scentemental) are NOT vintage ones.
    Vintage ones are like this (sse picture), with the percentage of alcohol (in this case 89%), and NO bar-codes on the box.

About lists of ingredients: here is Rear of the box in 2008 (left) and 2004 (right)
    - - - Updated - - -

Hello Andre -

Thank you. I am a little confused here as the bottles (which I think are actually Vintage - listed with 'eau pour homme' and '89% Vol' look identical. Boxes aside, as I found a bottle identical to what you show (which is the same as Scentemental's bottle)...it came without a box.

Here is the key. Please take a picture of the bottom of your bottle and post it. I would like to see the base plate. It is much appreciated and I think will shed light on this.

Thank you, my friend.

ericrico

“Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

I have a Reformulated bottle and today I compared it (smell) side by side in a store (I know the owner) with an old tester she had that is marked 89% and there was ZERO difference. NADA!! Hence, more confusion. It appears that there is no sure way of knowing which is which at this point by outside appearances other than no bar code IMO.
    Last edited by Boge; 26th January 2013 at 04:01 AM.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Here'a bottle of old "Armani" splash version.
    The Paco Rabanne perfume is a tribute for Ericrico

Presentation

Front box: note the "compact" greenish color (not woody or fabric drawings)

The batch code is almost invisible, you have to twist the bottle to see it.

Bottle under light

Side of the box with list of "ingredients"

IMPORTANT: the carved/embossed loo on the upper side of the box

and finally, the bottom of the bottle

hope this helps!
    bye,
    Andre

Thank you, Andre!

Merci. I see the points you make - thank you for the details. But, my eyes keep drifting to the Vintage Paco Rabanne box, so it's hard to see what the Armani bottle even looks like for me!

Cheers,

ericrico

Here'a bottle of old "Armani" splash version.
    The Paco Rabanne perfume is a tribute for Ericrico

Presentation

Front box: note the "compact" greenish color (not woody or fabric drawings)

The batch code is almost invisible, you have to twist the bottle to see it.

Bottle under light

Side of the box with list of "ingredients"

IMPORTANT: the carved/embossed loo on the upper side of the box

and finally, the bottom of the bottle

hope this helps!
    bye,
    Andre

Andre,

How is the quality on that older bottle? In general, do bottles of vintage Eau Pour Homme last well? (Assuming they have been cared for!)

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton View Post
    Andre,

How is the quality on that older bottle? In general, do bottles of vintage Eau Pour Homme last well? (Assuming they have been cared for!)
    Last very well: the major differences from modern version are the strong base notes, especially oakmoss & musk in the drydown, both intense and persistent.

I have found the reformulated version is not only not as robust, but smells like a wet-dog upon dry-down. The reforumulated smells "similar" to the vintage for a few fleeing moments until you are left with a frangrance with no depth, character, or lasting power. This frangrance was never one for longevity, but now it's a shadow of what it used to be. I own both and can say without hesitation that I wouldn't bother with the reformulated version.

As a side note, the newest version sports a silver stripe on the bottom of the box. Unfortunately, the "older packaging" is not necessarily indicative of older juice with oakmoss. The only way one can confirm what they're receiving is by asking the seller exactly what the packaging looks like. If you have a short list of ingredients on the side of a greenish colored box, you're good. If you have ingredients listed on the back of the box, oakmoss and tree moss have to be included, otherwise, you're left with an overpriced, hollow rendition...

I have decanted some of the newer juice and added oakmoss absolute that I'd bought from Camden-Grey to it... It definitely takes on a different vibe, and is much more reminiscent of the older juice with more body and substantiation. I'm still playing with the ratios, but I can tell you that I'm on to something! Oakmoss absolute is highly concentrated and has to be diluted with a another agent. I've chosen jojoba oil, seeing as it's unscented, it seems like a good mixing vessel. I've done this with newer releases of Safari by RL, and the results have been fantastic after I figured out how much to add. Just some food for thought

Andre,

Are you absolutely sure about the batch codes and their chronology?

According to your site, UMxx shifted to 5 digits in 1994.

However, I just found a bottle with UM123 stamped into the cardboard.

Everything else indicates common early 90s production - Cosmair, 129 rue du FG St.Honorè etc.

So, is it likely the production actually shifted in 1993, (If you are still using the the two letter abbreviation)?

Kind Regards
    Last edited by jason_newton; 28th November 2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added details

precisely, I was wearing it the whole day (the current one) and It lasted a very long time, I could not but smell it all day , but one thing is certain: with a very moderate projection, but I was quite surprised about its longevity.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Andre,

There is also a change you may not have seen or considered. Your bottle with the UL code (1992) has a slightly different list of ingredients to my bottle with a UM code. Do you think they went from 4 digits to 5 during 1993 rather than 1994. It would seem that way to me.

Regards