Code of Conduct

Default $800 later, now what do I do with this Axe on my shelf? :-)

I imagine I'm not the only person who's had this dilemma. I never thought of myself as a "cologne" guy for most of my life. I had some free samples of Brut Actif Blue I got with their deodorant years ago that I'd throw on occasionally (we're talking probably close to a decade to go through a handful of travel-size bottles). I kept some Axe around to wear instead of deodorant once in a while--not very often, though I tend to buy supplies like this in quantity so I don't have to bother grocery shopping very often. I remember smelling a Cool Water ad in a magazine when I was like 15, but I always figured that was too exotic for me. That's as close as I ever got to cologne.

It's you people's fault. ;-) Somehow I stumbled across basenotes in some unrelated searching, and I started reading reviews. Got curious. Ventured out to the local discount retailer. Started smelling.

So, $800+ later... Have walked all the department stores at 4 different malls to see what they have. Got a little enigmatic collection in my cabinet from Kouros & Antaeus to Hanae Mori HM & Very Irresistible (though almost completely free of the Cool Water / L'Eau D'Issey clones that all the perfume counter people assure me are "popular," as if smelling like every other guy is somehow a good thing?). Have two Serge Lutens bottles standing alongside the rest, and a bunch of Lutens samples that I fear will also turn into full size bottles at some point (if one can use the word "full size" about a Lutens bottle and keep a straight face).

The smell of Original Santal is still swirling in my nostrils when I close my eyes, but I deliberately avoided smelling any more Creed, since, you know, I'm already a hopeless Lutens fanboy now, and I can't afford to lust after *another* line of $150 fragrances. I'm avoiding Malle for the same reason. I'm probably about to order a decant of M7 since nobody around here carries it anymore, and I want to know what it smells like. I'm debating whether I want to order a decant of MKK while I'm at it, or if I should just wait until Lutens will be exporting it later this year.

Two months ago I thought Cool Water was exotic. Today I know the perfumer who formulated it. When I hear the word "git," it now means more than just a British slang term for an annoying person. And, astonishingly, I am able to pronounce "Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido" ... correctly. Basenotes carries a nontrivial amount of responsibility for this, well, rather expensive turn of events. ;-)

Anyway, so I was cleaning up my bathroom today, and I stumbled upon a couple of cans of Axe that I must have picked up some time back that had gotten hidden behind some other stuff. So, I thought to myself ... what do I do with this stuff now?

I guess I just throw them away. :-)

Default Re: $800 later, now what do I do with this Axe on my shelf? :-)

Give it to a teenaged boy just learning how to groom and shave himself! Then also give the young man some samples of some *real* men's fragrance! (I was lucky to learn about fragrance and grooming from my parents.)

BTW, welcome!
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th June 2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: fix typo, welcome
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Welcome to the boards...

I suggest giving the Axe to Goodwill :P

I had a similiar dilemma: a couple of bottles of Brut came along with a bottle of Sybaris I bought on E-Bay. My solution: I put rattan reeds in a bottle and - Voila! - nifty Brut bathroom air freshner.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Give it to a teenaged boy just learning how to groom and shave himself! Then also give the young man some samples of some *real* men's fragrance! (I was lucky to learn about fragrance and grooming from my parents.)

BTW, welcome!
    I like this suggestion...I have a 16 year old son that has been wearing this for a couple of years ( its called Lynx here in Oz ), I even purchased his favorite scent in EDT spray, but it doesn't get much love, I think its just his age ! I know one day, though, he will get into the 'real' stuff, and at least I know he likes to smell 'nice' !!

And welcome from me, too

Congratulations! A new world has opened up to you (albeit an expensive one), the likes of which are comparable to Helen Keller who finally understands the connection between words and ideas.

There are so many avenues to pursue with a new-found appreciation of fragrance and perfumery. You and all of us have embarked on a redolent journey in which you will never go home, “...exploring new scents, seeking out new aromas, boldly smelling what no one has smelled before”! All kidding aside, it is that ongoing pursuit of strange and beautiful aromas that we all share.

Ax the Axe or keep it as a measure of where you started from.

Dependent

Welcome and congrats on your fragrance "quest" so far, sounds really good!
    I wouldn't throw anything away though, like Primrose mentioned, give it away (just not to me pls)
    Last edited by MFJ; 20th June 2009 at 03:08 AM.

One of my favorite commercials is for Nivea shave products and features a lineup of the likely Axe/Lynx user. "It's no good if they can't smell you at least a block away...."

I'd recommend donating yours to a local homeless shelter. I used to work with homeless folk, and they all got such a lift out of any kind of grooming product that wasn't just cheap industrial soap. You'd clean out your bathroom and honestly cheer some people who don't get much pampering in life.

(Women in a simlar situation should also consider the nearest domestic violence shelter or safe house)

I hate Axe with a passion for no acceptably civil reason whatsoever.

OK, I had to go find the commercial:

"But...this won't increase my ability to mate!"

These lads are your reason, Sir Slarty.

I got 3 cans of unused Lynx/Axe Vice i bought fr UK 2 yrs ago. Properly stored and unused. Anyone interested in swapping?

Personally, I'd use 'em as targets for my shooting practice.

*pow* -- It's great to blow 'em up

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

<snerk> I still say donate 'em to the homeless....consider it a "trade" for karma, or mitzvah, or indulgences, or whatever works for you. I suspect that Axe is too inexpensive and "undesireable" to get much interest in swapping.

I was just joking. HEHE

I was just joking. HEHE
    ACK! You got me! My husband does that to me constantly, gets me every time, the sneaky guy!

<goes back to my own increasingly expensive acquisition frenzy>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    I'd recommend donating yours to a local homeless shelter. I used to work with homeless folk, and they all got such a lift out of any kind of grooming product that wasn't just cheap industrial soap. You'd clean out your bathroom and honestly cheer some people who don't get much pampering in life.

(Women in a simlar situation should also consider the nearest domestic violence shelter or safe house)
    Thanks for a wonderful suggestion, Mo. I was going to suggest auctioning them on eBay. it seems that someone wants everything. But your idea is much better.

Blog Entries

and welcome, Zardoz. Think of this as a way to develop an underutilized part of your brain and prevent Alzheimer's. But I don't recommend trying to take it as a medical deduction on your income taxes.

Sorry for the slow reply, busy weekend.

Thanks to all for the welcomes. This will be an interesting hobby.

TTYL.

I second the proposal of simply giving it away, and, although I'm a $800+ man myself (in terms of perfumes), some Axe fragrances are still good and truly classy (ah! if it were not for their minimal longevity...).