Code of Conduct

Default D'Orsay soaps new packaging

It appears the fragranced soaps of D'Orsay are no longer sold in packages of three, nor do they carry the equestrian image of Count d'Orsay.

Instead, the wrapping carries the faux (not the arms of the Grimod-d'Orsay family) coat of arms on the wrapping.

The equestrian image can be found here from the portrait by Sir Francis Grant:

http://www.parfumsdorsay.co.uk/parfu...oap/soaps.html

http://www.dandyism.net/?page_id=314

I realised too late this belonged in the fragrance industry category...

See "The Perfume Handbook," 2nd ed. for more info.
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th June 2009 at 11:12 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Default Re: D'Orsay soaps new packaging

Perhaps they were told to stop using the Count as their image, which is only fair considering that the perfume company had nothing to do with the dear Count. The perfume company didn't even get started until years after his death.

Note my avatar.....
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Prince Barry! Pleased to meet you at long last. (Tips hat.)

I only saw the soap wrapping on the UK site. I do not know if the equestrian image is on the actual bars of soap.

There are several threads, most recently by N_Tesla, that discuss the inspirations for perfume houses, some of them being poetic licence, to be sure. As I have stated in other threads, the coat of arms on the parfum boxes and bottles are not the real "blason" of the Grimod-d'Orsay family, which has a fish on it. Yes, poetic indeed.

Much of the perfume advertising of the Count from the 20th century are based on the equestrian Grant portrait. Sir Francis Grant was president of the Royal Academy of Art (and the Count's friend) and part of the art circle of the 1840s and later. You see this on the fragrance ad art and also on the bottles themselves. I posted a link to the ad art earlier under Perfume Industry threads. Maybe, as you infer, licencing of the image is the issue.

(I still admit to owning a guilty plaisir--two bottles: one of Arome Trois and one Le Dandy.)

Yes, I *adore* your avatar, which is the voluptieux portrait of the Count by Hayter, who was Queen Victoria's first court painter. The Count started to tone down his act (clothing colours and spending money) in 1839 when the portrait was executed, most probably because his beautiful Comtesse (in 1838) curtailed his pocketbook with their marital separation agreement!

The French perfume site (not the UK one) states the company has the authority of the Count's family, which would have to be the Dukes of Gramont, from his sister Ida's side. The title became extinct after he died.

Here is N_Tesla's thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=230660

Here is a link to the ad images for the parfum: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=229551
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Primrose, I PM'd you before I read your reply on here.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove