Code of Conduct

Default Romantic scents inspired by unique stories

We've already gone over the marketing so-called tale of the Count d'Orsay making perfume for his mother-in-law in other threads...but what are some fragrances with romantic legends attached? Make corrections and make additions to what I have here.

I am starting here:

Mogador by Keiko Mecheri: (Is this named after the place in Morocco or the woman?) Mogador was one of the great French courtesans of the 1840s. She fascinated men, and only the most wealthy could possess her. She started out in a brothel and found fame as a daring circus rider. She then found a succession of more prestigious lovers, including poet Alfred de Musset, and eventually Napoleon III. She finally found respectability by marrying a count and becoming a writer.

Jasmine Imperiatrice Eugenie by Creed: The beautiful Eugenie de Montijo, the Spanish bride of Napoleon III. She became a fashion trend-setter of the Second Empire, wearing the most exclusive and expensive of Worth dresses.

Shalimar by Guerlain: Need we say more of the tale? If memory serves, it immortalises the love of Shah Jahan for his favourite wife, Mumtaz Mahal, for whom he built the great burial monument the Taj Mahal. This grand monument is so impressive that some people think it was a royal palace.

Jicky by Guerlain: A little English girl who captured a Frenchman's heart.

Also, what are your thoughts on the line L'Histoires de Parfum. Very romantic concept. I never associated Georges Sand with pineapple notes...I see her in her top hat smoking cigars and think of something more androgynous to suit her. (She promised to dedicate a book, BTW, to Count d'Orsay but never followed through. He was able to help her from political persecution at the beginning of the Second Empire.)

Kouros by YSL: The handsome, athletic nudes statues of Archaic Greece, symbols of youth and masculinity.

Mitsouko, anyone? I seem to have forgotten this story.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Dependent

Default Re: Romantic scents inspired by unique stories

I'm not sure if this is romantic at all, but i do remember hearing that CK came up with eternity because the man himself was inspired by a wedding/engagement ring, for or from his wife that had eternity engraved on it?

something less romantic but quite heartwarming, was that CK created CK one that was meant as a dedication to his teenage daughter then.

Correct me if im wrong though, my memory is quite bad

Mitsouko was named after the heroine of the novel "La Bataille" by Claude Farrère.
    The novel is set in Japan during the Russo-Japanese War, and chronicles a fictional amour fou between a British Navy Officer and one "Mitsouko", the wife of Fleet Admiral Baron Heihachiro Togo. Both Togo and the British officer sail to war, and Mitsouko awaits with reserve to see which of the two will return alive to her.
    Taken from wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by junkfood View Post
    Mitsouko was named after the heroine of the novel "La Bataille" by Claude Farrère.
    The novel is set in Japan during the Russo-Japanese War, and chronicles a fictional amour fou between a British Navy Officer and one "Mitsouko", the wife of Fleet Admiral Baron Heihachiro Togo. Both Togo and the British officer sail to war, and Mitsouko awaits with reserve to see which of the two will return alive to her.
    Taken from wiki.
    I recall something like this. Puccini wrote "Madama Butterfly" around this time, if memory serves, and there was also a tale called "Madame Chrysanteme." Same tale, different day !

A perfume does not need a romantic tale, but it helps to market the scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Antaeus is also inspired by Greek Mythology.