Code of Conduct

Default My date came over last night and.....

So after a while of conversation, she asked if I could smell her DG on last night. I smelled her wrist and said it was faint. I admitted to her at that moment that I was in to fragrances and had a few. I opened my armoire and at first she giggle claiming that I was like the sex panther guy from anchor man. After gazing through my modest but impressive collection and smell a few of my top dollar niche fragrances, she finally lands on my Aqua di Gio by Armani and says "OMG, this is my absolute favorite" took the bottle and sprayed it on her arms. My thoughts........WTF?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: My date came over last night and.....

As hard as it may be to accept, it didn't become a best-seller for nothing... Most women at least like AdG and most men only wear frags because they think it'll help them get laid.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Dependent

Well ADG is extremely nose-friendly, how many of us can dispute that.

Well i recently had a friend over and since im still relatively new to niche, i decided to let him try Original Santal, Erolfa, VIW, Acer Aluminium, Gramercy Park, my last few droplets of my black aoud decant on different parts of his arm and neck and chest. He showed some interest maybe coz he didnt want to be a wet blanket to my enthusiasm, but when he tried my clinique happy, and ADG(coincidentally), he said those 2 were the best of the lot.....

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL
    Last edited by MFJ; 20th June 2009 at 05:01 PM.

People are too used to fresh and citrus scents due to marketing... hard to blame them.

Dump her.

Just kidding!!
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    Dump her.

Just kidding!!
    Ironically, I did! lol She'll get not call back from me!

did she say "oh my god" or "oh emm gee"? because if it was the latter , i would have kept her around lol.

eric b
    Last edited by e-dub; 20th June 2009 at 05:03 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    That seems to be the BN culture? lol im not surprised

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by junkfood View Post
    People are too used to fresh and citrus scents due to marketing... hard to blame them.
    Honestly I dont think marketing significantly improves the likability of the usual suspects of nose-friendly freshies, ADG for one doesnt really need more marketing. The issue is probably with us on BN who've grown to appreciate and die by scents that are otherwise actually not nose-friendly at all. But still i wouldnt have it any other way.

One time, I gave a couple of bottles of cologne to a friend at his birthday party. One was some version of Issey, and you should have seen the look of horror on my face when one of the girls there said excitedly "oh my God! Is that Cool Water?!!" It was like buying a Ferrari and having somebody point at it and ask if it's a Feiro.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I've got a very similar story, just with wines. I had a bottle which won gold medal in Bruxelles, from the winery I work for. At Christmas I gave it to my neighbour, who at New Year Eve gave me another bottle in return, which would kill you if you would drink 2 dl... and said "yeah, no problem at all, OK, your wine was just about OK", but he was shaking his head, "but try this one, this IS wine". But we are still good neigbours

I think for most people their familiarity with a scent like AdG makes it comfortable and thus likable to them. When they say they love it, they're really saying the feel affirmed by it, that it shows they know and like something. That they've been out in the meet marketplace and smelled things on other people. Familiarity breeds appreciation.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I've got a very similar story, just with wines. I had a bottle which won gold medal in Bruxelles, from the winery I work for. At Christmas I gave it to my neighbour, who at New Year Eve gave me another bottle in return, which would kill you if you would drink 2 dl... and said "yeah, no problem at all, OK, your wine was just about OK", but he was shaking his head, "but try this one, this IS wine". But we are still good neigbours
    I went to Germany for spring break one year, while my twin brother was stationed over there. He had some Czech Bud, the original Budweiser, and I tried it. It my ignorance, I proclaimed the stuff swill... Didn't taste a thing like Budweiser. What I wouldn't give to have one now. It's only through trying a variety (the wider, the better), no matter what it may be, does one really begin to appreciate the good from the bad. And yes, just as I love to watch Psycho or some other brilliant film, I occasionally love to see a bad one, just because there's something to be learned from them, too.

But I no longer drink Budweiser.
    The Bark Bites Back.

So after a while of conversation, she asked if I could smell her DG on last night. I smelled her wrist and said it was faint. I admitted to her at that moment that I was in to fragrances and had a few. I opened my armoire and at first she giggle claiming that I was like the sex panther guy from anchor man. After gazing through my modest but impressive collection and smell a few of my top dollar niche fragrances, she finally lands on my Aqua di Gio by Armani and says "OMG, this is my absolute favorite" took the bottle and sprayed it on her arms. My thoughts........WTF?
    Heh, great story. I probably would have been like WTF too.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    As hard as it may be to accept, it didn't become a best-seller for nothing... Most women at least like AdG and most men only wear frags because they think it'll help them get laid.
    Agreed, I haven't met one woman (or guy) who doesn't like AdG. Admittedly, it was one of the first frags I encountered in college, and although I didn't love it, I certainly didn't mind it.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Familiarity breeds appreciation.
    Does this apply to moderators as well?

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I have read this happening to others in the past but never understood the concept until it happened to me. I admit I have been into some cheapies as of late but by no means do I love them more than a good guerlain, serge lutens, or others. I was just shocked, completely and in some minute way, was offended lol. There have been some intelligent comments on here and I have to agree with what has been said thus far! I knew you guys would understand my horror! lol

Dependent

I have read this happening to others in the past but never understood the concept until it happened to me. I admit I have been into some cheapies as of late but by no means do I love them more than a good guerlain, serge lutens, or others. I was just shocked, completely and in some minute way, was offended lol. There have been some intelligent comments on here and I have to agree with what has been said thus far! I knew you guys would understand my horror! lol

I actually dont find something that is relatively cheaper any worse, as long as its a good enough scent for me. Plus ADG isnt exactly the cheapest mainstream around. I'm glad you shared you story, I would have wanted so share a few of mine to start a thread, but was too afraid to come across as a whining diva lol

I still feel you shouldn't have dumped her! coz at least she wouldnt be high maintenance!

This is the exact reason I don't have AdG in my collection.

I like it, but way too many people other people like it (and similar scents like Light Blue Pour Homme).
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Glad to hear you kicked and her nose to the curb

I just have this image of her taking the AdG bottle, and you suddenly turning into him

"You want the AdG? No second date for you!"
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Hope this wasn't the reason you didn't continue the relationship. I mean, as a long-standing member of our exquisite little society, you have a duty to educate her about the complexities and aesthetic challenges of perfume culture, like a latter day Pygmalion (and getting some really good head in return for your labors . Sorry, I've had too much exquisite French syrah...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Hope this wasn't the reason you didn't continue the relationship....
    Agreed. Maybe she was overwhelmed or intimidated by everything else that she saw and was relieved to be able to recognize at least one. If there were more dates, you could perhaps guide her tastes into appreciating the other fine fragrances you appreciate. Ah well, maybe it wasn't meant to be.
    Last edited by tang; 20th June 2009 at 09:22 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    As hard as it may be to accept, it didn't become a best-seller for nothing...
    Agreed. Fact is, Aqcua di Gio is, besides the marketing and overpopularity since its launch, a good scent. It´s made by perfumer Alberto Morrillas, a great nose.

It´s also a fact that niche scents and everything new (expensive) that pops up on the Lucky Scent website, tends to be a bit overrated,also by this community.
    Don´t get carried away by that (like I was at first).Expensive doesn´t mean it´s all Ferrari´s. Wear what you like.
    Last edited by eric; 20th June 2009 at 09:34 PM.

I can see why it's pretty dissapointing if a date picks that one if you have a big collection of scents you appreciate much more. But judge the dates kindly, they don't know any better really and probably never really thought about how they want to smell - like everyone else or something that they truly like or dislike and knowing why they like it or not ( knowing the notes or fragrance family that works for them instead of asking for something that smells kinda like everything else in a store)
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

A girl choosing AdG is not a dump-able offense to me. Not liking perfumes at all - that would be a dump-able offense. I did not ask out a girl from a dance class even though I thought she's cute and interesting because she didn't like perfumes.

AdG has a great opening - even better top notes than some of my favorite ones. Unfortunately, the perfume itself does not last the distance.

Whereas I like perfumes that's not for everyone and not-love-at-first-fight-for-everyone. Eg if one looks up Prada IdI reviews, I keep seeing, "Didn't like it at first. But kept trying and eventually bought a full bottle." Whereas with that one, I liked it straight away....

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    "Didn't like it at first. But kept trying and eventually bought a full bottle." Whereas with that one, I liked it straight away....
    I got that from NR for him. instant liking, bought on the spot, still loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I just have this image of her taking the AdG bottle, and you suddenly turning into him

I laughed so hard! You are correct sir, she snatched that bottle like someone who hasn't eaten for a month that ran across a stale saltine cracker. She didn't even ask. lol

Eric, that is good sound advise!

To those who wonder if I dumped her for that reason, partially but not entirely. In so many other ways, I was annoyed on the date. She had a robust (loud) laugh, could stand to trim some poundage off, and didn't meet my expectations overall. Its the last time I will let this particular friend of mine set me up. I was shown a slightly older photo in which case she was,....thinner and I agreed to the date under false pretenses and assumptions. The AdG episode was just the last straw! lol I though she was in an herbal essence commercial when she sprayed her wrist, inhaled with intense passion, and belted out an ahhhhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

"Crab Bisque..."

I was quite dissapointed when I took my bro to the mall to smell frags trying to get him to appreciate them more. We sprayed about 12 different ones on skin and 10 more on paper. I sprayed an AdG just for reference. I've never talked highly about AdG before and 2 years ago, I don't think hes even heard of it.

At the end of the spraying fest, I asked him what he liked best and the top 2 were Bvlgari Aqva and AdG .... so I bought him and AdG just a few days ago.

I don't know about that, she may like it, but you're the one that owns a bottle.

My girlfriend admitted when we first started dating she liked the smell of AdG, so I took it upon myself to destroy that little notion in her. Mission accomplished.

Why be upset with someone for liking a fragrance you yourself see fit to own?
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

ok...now i gotta get this ADG stuff...seems to work wonders
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I don't know about that, she may like it, but you're the one that owns a bottle.
    I also own a bottle of AdG, but that was a gift, and I keep it as "reference aquatic." Just like I have a bottle of Le Male without loving it. :P

Oh no!!!! Don't dump the sweet girl...
    Good opportunity to train a budding perfumista!
    None of us were born perfume savvy and sophisticated.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    I also own a bottle of AdG, but that was a gift, and I keep it as "reference aquatic." Just like I have a bottle of Le Male without loving it. :P
    Why keep something you don't love?

Sounds like a very smart Women to me!!!!! She knows what smells good!!!!!
    Gary

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Why be upset with someone for liking a fragrance you yourself see fit to own?
    I get what you are driving at. But I think we are just expressing some frustration at why others cant appreciate the less ordinary as we do. I believe alot of our frustrations are in good humor and nothing more. Do we really expect non-basenoters to be able to fully understand our passion? I doubt so.
    Last edited by MFJ; 21st June 2009 at 03:19 AM.

BTW, did she pronounce it "Aqua Di Geeeeeeeo" or "Aqua Di Joe" ?

Dependent

I never stated that I did not like it and went on record with my admission of indulging in good cheapies. I think AdG is great or I wouldn't own it. Stack up to my more luxurious acquisitions, I was shocked that absolutely nothing else in my drobe even peaked her curiosity and I think perhaps it goes back to what DustB was saying; it is what she was familiar with both from a molecular and social standpoint. Hey, I like the stuff but I would sacrifice it in a second for my others

Too bad the lady isn't your style in whatever the other ways make her not worth chumming around with. If she were more right, even for the night, you could somehow give her the idea that you could pick out a good scent for her from your collection. "Ooooo yes, which one of these would be good for me?" she'd ask.

"Pick one for you right now, you mean?" you'd reply.

"Yes yes yes," she'd say.

"Okay," you'd say, and have to deadpan the next part: "take off your clothes."
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

That's some nice phase-shifting there DustB
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Why keep something you don't love?
    As reference woody-oriental-musk.

I could sell it, but who in BN would in their right mind buy a used bottle of JPG Le Male anyway?

In all seriousness, the first thought that would have come to my mind would be, "Well, I can forget about her sharing the same passion as me about perfume". I would have tried to get her into it, though. You never know, maybe she was educable? On the other hand, if you got the sense that she thought you were a weirdo or something for being so into fragrances, then I don't blame you at all for not calling her back.

For me personally, Aqua da Gio would have been a real downer. I absolutely HATE that fragrance with a passion.
    Last edited by shamu1; 21st June 2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

The hate in here for Cool Water an Acqua Di Gio is unacceptable.
    Especially hating on Cool Water.
    *issues ancient pagan curse on thread participants*

Quote Originally Posted by e-dub View Post
    eric b
    easy on the cut, no mistakes allowed.

Yes, dump her. No kidding (which you did).

On the other hand, I've got a "How can you don't like Cool Water and Acqua Di Gio??? Everybody is crazy about those!!!" from a student writing her thesis proposal on olfactory perceptions and branding.