Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances made in China

I bought Mom a White Shoulders gift set for Mothers' Day at a local discount store. The scent was made in China. Is this a common practice? I assume the fragrance is made to the same recipe, but the labor is cheaper and the pollution standards are worse.

Chris Balducci

Dependent

Default Re: Fragrances made in China

Ive personally nvr come across any reputable frags made in China, even the middle end Body shop is made in UK. I dont really trust the QC and the general standards of China-made products with all due respect. Made in China is at least not fake I hope and reckon since if it were fake, they would might as well put made in UK/France/Italy etc. Btw just curious, when u mean the scent did it include all the items in the gift set?

I live in HK and travel to Shanghai & Beijing and I'm on the lookout for any developments in this area. There are a few 'traditional' floral waters and so on that go way back (and a rich history of more medicinal or linament styles) but I have yet to see anything resembling a new movement in Chinese perfumery. Given that China (and other Southeast Asian countries) has recently emerged as a manufacturing base for many western brands what you see is a huge learning curve in terms of setting up new plants from scratch. While common perception might be that 'third world sub-standard quality control' may be the case actually it's not that simple. Let's remember that in the 60s 'Made in Japan' was a derogatory term - now just look at Sony / Shiseido etc. For the very reason that some of these new industries are being built from the ground up China can start fresh with the latest technology and innovations - there is no 'system' to change or anitquated plant to replace. It's a blank slate. I have seen this in other industries. With the combination of established Euro and US perfumers all chasing the 'Asian Market' , the need to set up local companies for manufacturing and distribution and also a re-discovery of local perfume culture and even new floral / herbal ingredients I see the potential for some interesting developments in the years ahead. There have been some murmurings - if I find anything in my travels I'll certainly post here. Just don't hold your breath.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 21st June 2009 at 05:34 AM. Reason: PS Chris - any more info you can share on the Made in China scent?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I live in HK and travel to Shanghai & Beijing and I'm on the lookout for any developments in this area. There are a few 'traditional' floral waters and so on that go way back (and a rich history of more medicinal or linament styles) but I have yet to see anything resembling a new movement in Chinese perfumery. Given that China (and other Southeast Asian countries) has recently emerged as a manufacturing base for many western brands what you see is a huge learning curve in terms of setting up new plants from scratch. While common perception might be that 'third world sub-standard quality control' may be the case actually it's not that simple. Let's remember that in the 60s 'Made in Japan' was a derogatory term - now just look at Sony / Shiseido etc. For the very reason that some of these new industries are being built from the ground up China can start fresh with the latest technology and innovations - there is no 'system' to change or anitquated plant to replace. It's a blank slate. I have seen this in other industries. With the combination of established Euro and US perfumers all chasing the 'Asian Market' , the need to set up local companies for manufacturing and distribution and also a re-discovery of local perfume culture and even new floral / herbal ingredients I see the potential for some interesting developments in the years ahead. There have been some murmurings - if I find anything in my travels I'll certainly post here. Just don't hold your breath.

Great post. Like I was just conversing with another member, The current economical, social, ethical, political culture does not make for a near tangible future that the likes of say Issey have their fragrances made in China. Yes it is true that "Made In Japan" was once stereotyped to be of lack in terms of quality, but they have shown the world by actual example of their hike in standards and their meticulous efforts at keeping them at the edge. I don't see that in the near future China will do the same. What they have shown us thus far gives me very mixed feelings. If however a scent was formulated by a Chinese Label, I would prefer it then to be made in China. It would be great to hear more from your travel finds. Keep us posted in a new thread maybe, so we don't hijack the initial topic.
    Last edited by MFJ; 21st June 2009 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    Ive personally never come across any reputable frags made in China
    Neither have I in the many years I have been collecting - at least not yet.

An industry insider told me the majority of fragrance forgeries are coming from China.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    An industry insider told me the majority of fragrance forgeries are coming from China.
    That news doesn't surprise me at all.

If something is created and originates from China, fine. No problem. But when a product long produced somewhere else is suddenly being made in China, it is strictly for cheap labor, degraded product and unreliable regulatory standards. The deceitful bulls-t corporate term, ‘best shoring’ is what gets me angry. Profit, not Product is what they care about. (i.e...never buy anything edible in a dollar store!) That is sad!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I agree !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

The vast majority of all forgeries come from china. Period. Have you seen the new truck design from BYD? It is almost identical to the design of the F-150, so it comes as no surprise to me that the majority of fragrance copies are also being produced in china. You can see perfume copies in every "Fake" market being sold as imported goods from Hong Kong.

All Copying aside, the pollution in question is almost entire produced as waste in china, and the goods being produced are generally of a very pure quality. The pharmaceutical and flavor chemical manufacturers in and around Shanghai/Suzhou/Hangzhou area all produce to the same standards as the western world, and given that this area of the country is used as a "High Tech" manufacturing focus area, i would guess that any large and reputable fragrance company would be manufacturing there rather than in Shenzhen/Guangzhou.

I would assume that many fragrances are made in china, and that until you are buying locally developed and produced perfume specifically made for china, you will be buying very safe and reliable perfume. Also, remember that inflation in china rising and is causing the price of labor to rise faster than almost anywhere else in the world, thus negating the benefit of producing there in the first place.

Blog Entries

^ Made in China - assembled in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    ^ Made in China - assembled in France.
    Ha, yup! I was looking at some body wash yesterday, and on the label it said "Made in the USA of US and/or imported ingredients." I suspect a large percentage of common aromachemicals are manufactured in China and shipped around the world for inclusion in common household items.

And aren't a lot of the generic/knockoff (not necessarily fakes) made in China? I seem to recall someone saying most were manufactured there.

I try not to purchase anything made in China these days. Sometimes it is too difficult, but I don't think they treat their workers or the environment good enough. Many times the quality of the product isn't good enough either. Hopefully they will realize that preserving the environment and worker's health is actually more profitable in the long run rather than trying to clean up all the issues later and achieving some short-term cost savings. The profiteering shown by US and other foreign companies looking to outsource to China is also sickening and has greatly reduced the standard of living in all countries stupid enough to do so. Many of these companies outsource to China in an attempt to make more money regardless of the social and environmental consequences both in China and in their home country. Globalization may be inevitable, but it could be done in a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Never came across any, but it doesn't surprise me one bit also. There great at copying others.

Examples? Any specific brands?

I know that when it comes to fashion, particularly polo shirts, sneakers and so on, they are not usually so much 'fake' as just re-branded items that were being made in a factory or plant for foreign companies who dropped their order, resulting in dead stock, or bad runs with a flaw. Does your insider friend know if any of the current brands are actually blending or bottling in China? This would explain a lot.

Altho, believe it or not, I have yet to see a fake 'brand' perfume on the streets here in the usual hot spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    The profiteering shown by US and other foreign companies looking to outsource to China is also sickening and has greatly reduced the standard of living in all countries stupid enough to do so. Many of these companies outsource to China in an attempt to make more money regardless of the social and environmental consequences both in China and in their home country. Globalization may be inevitable, but it could be done in a better way.
    Agree. 30 years in Asia has been ample time to see many US & Euro companies swoop in, knock up factories and milk the local labour resources, turning a blind eye to whether to working conditions are safe, or whether children are being employed etc. and then move on when they deem another country cheaper. Of course it goes on in Eastern Europe as well. The host country is then blamed as some sort of nemesis of 'fair trade practice' and accused of 'costing us jobs' back home. The double standards applied by politicians and less informed individuals against these 'factory states' as an economic threat is what is truly sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    There great at copying others.
    Don't worry, fakes are usually pretty easy to spot - they can't spell

Yes, Angel (women's) and many Dolce and Chanel frags among others.

Thanks for that piece of info - makes sense, both hot mass market brands. Do you know if the couterfeiters are starting from scratch with this stuff? Is there a whole infrastructure for (a) blending, (b) bottling and (c) labelling?

Or is this a side effect of having a hand in the manufacture of some part of the legit process? Like bottling, or even being bottle suppliers etc. This is the bit that intrigues me - whether there is any existing 'in' to the brands from plants in China. Maybe there's a plant that does work for P&G or Coty or whoever and the fakes are a 'side business' after hours, sort of thing. That seems to be quite common in other industries.

P.S.

Any further insight as to genuine or innovative fragrance development in PRC? I did notice one article about Guerlain researching some types of plants in one area, Szechuan I think, for new potential botanical notes but they hastened to add that it was research for growing only and that 'all our perfumes are made in France'.

I was also intrigued to smell a fantastic oud style essence a woman was showing to Frederic Malle when he was in Hong Kong that she said was being cultivated (?) in the south-west and that she was looking to partner with companies in developing stuff from the region. I wish she had been more forthcoming with her business cards but clearly Malle was the focus of her pitch and I was only one of a handful of bystanders and I didn't get a chance to follow up with her.

The reason I ask is simply to echo the OP's original question about what we, collectively, might know about fragrance manufacture in China - legit or not - before this thread spiral downwards into some sort of simplistic "me too" China-bashing exercise. In other words, yes, boys and girls, we know there are fakes from China, copying really does happen there - my own copyrighted materials have not been immune - but does anybody have anything else of interest to add to the discussion?
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 2nd March 2012 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Don't worry, fakes are usually pretty easy to spot - they can't spell
    lmao, this was funny