Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Unchanged powerhouses?

I know some people here will disagree with me, but IMO Chanel Antaeus is just as good as it used to be. I have both the vintage version and the current version and though there is 'a bit' of difference between the two, as in that the vintage is richer and deeper, I still feel the current version is definitely not a let down.

I find Antaeus changed a lil bit respect to the original formulation which was more earthy and powerful. What I find pretty unchanged is Pour Monsieur edt Concentrée

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    I find Antaeus changed a lil bit respect to the original formulation which was more earthy and powerful. What I find pretty unchanged is Pour Monsieur edt Concentrée
    I wonder if top notes in the last bottle I bought were that different either due to reformulation or some other reason. Anyway, the drydown is still awesome, but longevity is quite compromised.

I've compared full wears of the vintage and new Antaeus recently. The vintage formula has a totally different presence.

A few sprays project like a dense cloud and the smell is much more leathery and animalic (castoreum, which I suppose is replaced by more dry patchouli in the new). The beeswax base is noticeable almost from start to finish, getting more and more obvious towards the beautifully sensuous finish (in comparison, you get a whisper of honey towards the finish of the new).

The reformulation is a washed out Antaeus. Yes, it's still strong, but unfocused and less powerful. It's still rich, but miles away from the old opulence. The new version feels bone dry during some stages of its development, while the vintage version gives the impression of being lightly covered by fresh sweat.

It's like the intensity has been reduced. It's no longer glorious technicolor, but black and white. Less leather, bees wax, power, sex, sensuality.
    Last edited by tott; 23rd June 2009 at 08:10 PM.