Code of Conduct

Default Unchanged powerhouses?

I love the so-called 80s powerhouse fragrances, but unfortunately, I find that, although some retain their esssence (Kouros, Polo), many others have been reformulated to a mere shadow of their former selves - Antaeus (although still very good), Trussardi, Quorum, Fendi (I think).

So I am trying to identify the powerhouses who exist today as they did at their conception - those who haven't been lessened to cater for milder tastes, who haven't been diluted to save production costs, but who continue to live as initially intended.

Default Re: Unchanged powerhouses?

I'd guess the original Carlo Corinto is the same as it always was, and that's some powerful juice (lavender and leather). Also, 273 for men by Hayman isn't quite as strong but I seriously doubt it was ever reformulated.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th June 2009 at 08:23 PM.

I picked up a bottle of Salvador Dali PH a few years ago that would make Barry Bonds look like a weakling. If it is has been reformulated.. no.. no, I shudder to think it was ever stronger!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

In my opinion, Versace L'Homme (1984) still smells like being spared- and staying so- of some horrid reformulation. Other possible candidates: Santos by Cartier and Trussardi Uomo.

Dependent

To me Fahrenheit, other than the change of the box colour, i find the juice similar.

I'm sorry to say that Santos is not the same warm, rich and lasting scent it once was... The concentrée version is closer to the original, maybe even very close: it's been years since I smelled the original so I can't say for sure.

Maybe they simply added "concentrée" to the name of the old regular version and replaced it with a weaker formulation...?

I can't detect any change in Grey Flannel.
    I know Paco Rabanne PH has supposedly been reformulated, but it smells just as good as the original too.
    Ditto for Pierre Cardin

The vintage Dior Jules I have is nearly identical to the current version. Great scent!

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    I can't detect any change in Grey Flannel.
    I know Paco Rabanne PH has supposedly been reformulated, but it smells just as good as the original too.
    Ditto for Pierre Cardin
    I totally agree that today's Paco Rabanne smells just as good as the original, but I do find that it just doesn't last as long - in fact I find that the modern version lasts only 1-2 hours, typical of what I perceive as the modern reformulation of such classic scents (I do acknowledge that many would see as a good thing that these juices no longer last as they once did!).

In the same manner, Givenchy's Gentleman, a great scent, again no longer seems to have that extra oomph it once had - still good, but only good, certainly not the beast it once was.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Zino Davidoff
    Versace L'Homme
    Aramis Tuscany
    Halston Z-14
    Grey Flannel

Santos and Trussardi Uomo have been tweaked down a bit.

Van Cleef & Arpels pH was messed with, then re-reformulated to try to amend the crime. It is still strong and long lasting, but the floral accord has changed. Still a strong leather though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Dependent

let me add some more

aramis 900
    Boss no.1
    Polo Green
    Minotaure

Giorgio for Men
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

AromiErotici

This is a good thread ! I've had minis of Jules that came in the old bottle, so I assume it was old formula and strong is an understatement. I am sure if the newer version was a tad weaker, it wouldn't hurt a thing. But I haven't knowingly tried the newer, so my comment isn't really valid.

Versailles PH wasn't changed to my knowledge.
    Success wasn't popular enough and criminally strong.
    Punjab wasn't for the same reasons.
    Or Black I don't believe was changed.
    Maxim's also was never reformulated unless someone can inform me differently.

I believe the following have been lighten up from what I remember:

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
    Fendi Uomo
    Aramis
    Giorgio
    Bijan
    Obsession
    Passion
    Quorum

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I believe the following have been lighten up from what I remember:

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
    Fendi Uomo
    Aramis
    Giorgio
    Bijan
    Obsession
    Passion
    Quorum
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui - bought one bottle months ago and I can clearly say that is far from a powerhouse.
    Aramis - can't find differences between the content from a bottle bought in 1996 and one bought less than a year ago.
    Quorum - Bought a 1 OZ / 30 ml vintage bottle when formulas were shorter than what they presently are. I could not find any differences at all from the content of a newer bottle.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui - bought one bottle months ago and I can clearly say that is far from a powerhouse.
    Aramis - can't find differences between the content from a bottle bought in 1996 and one bought less than a year ago.
    Quorum - Bought a 1 OZ / 30 ml vintage bottle when formulas were shorter than what they presently are. I could not find any differences at all from the content of a newer bottle.
    I have both the vintage and newer Oscar pour lui. I love the old formula. I don't hate the new one, but the vintage is much deeper.

The current Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur smells very close to the vintage version I have. Francesco Smalto PH also seems unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    let me add some more

aramis 900
    Boss no.1
    Polo Green
    Minotaure
    Mathew:

I am not sure about Polo Green. Because Polo Modern Reserve was such a big disappointment to me, I just sampled the Polo Green at a local Nordstrom. I am certain it is not the Polo I remember from the early 1980s. I think they decided to knock down the top notes to make it a tad less loud, and on my skin, it felt very old and passé. I was really disappointed as I was planning to pick up a bottle.

TJ

I don't think anything from the hairy chested house of Bogart has been tampered with and a Jacomo de Jacomo purchased earlier this year seems as strrrrrong as ever.

Fahrenheit has not changed one bit.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Hillaire

Halston 1-12
    Fendi Uomo
    Krizia Uomo

Knize Ten isn't so 80s, but it's a powerhouse and never changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Halston 1-12
    Fendi Uomo
    Krizia Uomo
    I love the original, but haven't actually sampled recent versions of Fendi Uomo, but am concerned that it may have been reformulated in the usual "watering-down" manner of such 80's fragrances - see link hereunder.

If anyone can clarify, I would be very grateful.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=fendi

Basenotes Plus

I have a quite new Quorum and some vintage ones, and I can smell a significant difference, the old ones seem to be much stronger and more intense and "stinky". The new box design may possibly be corresponding with the re-formulation, at least the ones I have encountered with the old style box (as shown in the basenotes directory, see various on-line shops for the new box design) are pre-re-formulation.
    I love cologne.

Off-Scenter

Aramis seems relatively intact to me, along with Or Black, Lauder for Men, Jules, Van Cleef & Arpels, Azzaro pour Homme, Z-14, Kouros, and perhaps Yatagan. All of these may have been tweaked over time, but their sheer power remains relatively undiminished.

On the niche front there are also the more recent Mazzolari Lui and Mazzolari Patchouli, Black Aoud, and Eau des Iles.

Although they're not '80s scents, I'd add Knize Ten and Vintage Tabarome to any list of undiluted powerhouse fragrances as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nenugal View Post
    I have a quite new Quorum and some vintage ones, and I can smell a significant difference, the old ones seem to be much stronger and more intense and "stinky". The new box design may possibly be corresponding with the re-formulation, at least the ones I have encountered with the old style box (as shown in the basenotes directory, see various on-line shops for the new box design) are pre-re-formulation.
    You are right, it is wrong to take and old box design as a sign for "vintageness". Anyway, I was expecting a strong fragrance before buying Quorum, and that is what I found, that it was strong. That does not mean it couldn't have been stronger back in 1982 (waw!).

Basenotes Plus

How about Xeryus Rouge? I know there is a new bottle, but does anyone know if it was reformulated?

Classic Xeryus perhaps?

I tried both - old bottle and new one - and could get a difference, but not that noticeable.
    Last edited by Pollux; 23rd June 2009 at 02:31 AM.

Basenotes Plus

You are right, it is wrong to take and old box design as a sign for "vintageness". Anyway, I was expecting a strong fragrance before buying Quorum, and that is what I found, that it was strong. That does not mean it couldn't have been stronger back in 1982 (waw!).
    The strength of Quorum impresses me every time, both the old and new versions
    I love cologne.

I know some people here will disagree with me, but IMO Chanel Antaeus is just as good as it used to be. I have both the vintage version and the current version and though there is 'a bit' of difference between the two, as in that the vintage is richer and deeper, I still feel the current version is definitely not a let down.

I find Antaeus changed a lil bit respect to the original formulation which was more earthy and powerful. What I find pretty unchanged is Pour Monsieur edt Concentrée

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    I find Antaeus changed a lil bit respect to the original formulation which was more earthy and powerful. What I find pretty unchanged is Pour Monsieur edt Concentrée
    I wonder if top notes in the last bottle I bought were that different either due to reformulation or some other reason. Anyway, the drydown is still awesome, but longevity is quite compromised.

I've compared full wears of the vintage and new Antaeus recently. The vintage formula has a totally different presence.

A few sprays project like a dense cloud and the smell is much more leathery and animalic (castoreum, which I suppose is replaced by more dry patchouli in the new). The beeswax base is noticeable almost from start to finish, getting more and more obvious towards the beautifully sensuous finish (in comparison, you get a whisper of honey towards the finish of the new).

The reformulation is a washed out Antaeus. Yes, it's still strong, but unfocused and less powerful. It's still rich, but miles away from the old opulence. The new version feels bone dry during some stages of its development, while the vintage version gives the impression of being lightly covered by fresh sweat.

It's like the intensity has been reduced. It's no longer glorious technicolor, but black and white. Less leather, bees wax, power, sex, sensuality.
    Last edited by tott; 23rd June 2009 at 08:10 PM.