Code of Conduct

Default What are the goofiest ideas you used to have about fragrance?

I am sure most of us have had inaccurate ideas about fragrance at one time or another.

I am sure I still do!

But looking back, did you have any particularly silly, goofy, wrong-headed, or mistaken ideas that stick out in your mind?

I will start it out. A few of my goofy mistaken ideas:

(1) That notes are always actual ingredients derived from natural substances.

(2) That every house had its own in house perfumer(s).

(3) That you really couldn't switch fragrances every day. It just wouldn't work!

Dependent

Default Re: What are the goofiest ideas you used to have about fragrance?

that the general term cologne was EDC

that the designer him or herself created the fragrance

Had no idea musk was from an animal or originally so at least (doesn't help that "musky" is the only descriptive word most SAs know and abuse so often)

* will add more when i recall
    Last edited by MFJ; 21st June 2009 at 03:51 PM.

Briliant idea!!! I bet everyone used to have some.

Here are mine:

1/ I visit Amazon.com to read fragrance reviews & ratings.

2/ I also believe 'designer' fragrances are the best fragrances ever created. Before that I even don't know what 'Guerlain' is.

3/ Some time later, I have a notion that any 'niche' is better or of higher quality than 'designer'.

4/ I should cover every pulse points on my body (not to mention under shirt), which translates to 6-8 or even 10+ sprays for each application.

5/ My friends, who like fresh aquatics or/and don't like my top dollar niche, are inferior to me in fragrance taste. Now I realize that we just have difference tastes.

etc....

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    that the designer him or herself created the fragrance.
    Ditto.

Therefore, I mostly buy fragrance based on the coolness/popularity of the brand.

Pre Basenotes:

1. I thought all scents were linear. I assumed that if after 3 hrs the scent didn't smell like the initial few minutes after spraying it was bad quality. This was because i sprayed my frags to chest after putting on clothes.

2. AdG and cK Crave were the best scents ever created. The rest were for old middle aged men.

3. The more recent the release date of a frag the better and more modern it was. Older ones were for old middle aged men.

I have to admit i was totally clueless about anything to do with perfume. I was scared even to go to the perfume counters because of the hundreds of different frags. Thank god for basenotes.

Every fragrance would give me a headache and make it hard to breathe

- It was actually the case that people over applied around me and a few ingredients were responsible for the headache, certainly not every perfume does it
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

That Creed has been making fragrances since before the 1980s.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I used to think:

1. That notes listed on the box or websites actually mean something. Sites can't even agree!
    2. That I couldn't possibly have smelled a certain note because it wasn't listed!
    3. That the fragrance was what I was paying for and not the advertising, packaging and name on the box.

Many of them that have already been listed apply to me, but I used to honestly thing all aquatics smelled "so similar as to be indistinguishable." Well, I just wrote them off. I thought as a perfume enthusiast I was above them.. or that they were 'below me' or something ridiculous like that.

That spending $50 on a bottle was absurd (I remember laughing at a kid when I was younger who said he spent $50 on a bottle of By Man.. oh boy, how foolish I used to be! Now I'd pick up a bottle of that in a heartbeat if I saw it for $50, and I've not even smelled it yet! )
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Here are some of my goofiest:

- the thought that only the fragrance house X or the designer Y can make me happy and re thus worth their money
    - the certainty that if I don't own/try a certain fragrance "I'm doomed"
    - that my fragrance wardrobe needs to be expanded by more than 100 future purchases

I used to think you weren't supposed to smell it throughout the day. I thought the initial wet blast was what it was. If I smelled it on me for more than two hours, I felt very self-conscious that my head was in a cloud of perfume, and that the scent was just too powerful.

I also used to think that most everything smelled the same and was boring (hence the tiny pre-BN collection, right?) Thanks, y'all, for changing that!

Yeah, Jil Sander and Loris Azzaro brooding over bottles of sandalwood, amber and spices creating their next perfume. But as a cynic by default I discarded that belief rather quickly, even before basenotes.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

That only one would be enough (then again, for most folks it is)

When I was thirteen or fourteen years old, I sometimes thought that girls liked some of my friends more because they wore some other fragrance and I wore CK One. Specifically, I thought that Tommy was the key to popularity.

Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I used to think, when I was 16, that fragrances for men sucked, because I blind bought Boss No. 1, which is unwearable for a 16-year old first timer.

Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I once thought I couldn't go over and browse or buy feminine-directed scents at the mall, and then for a while I felt compelled to create the 'I'm shopping for my wife' myth. Now if a SA says something like 'these are for women' I give them a look. SAs that know their stuff know it doesn't matter.

I used to think all fragrances were made just for the bottom notes. The top notes just got in the way of the better, softer notes. I still have only smelled around 2-3 colognes where I actually enjoy the top notes.

MYTH: You can't wear two fragrances at a time. Period.
    FACT (for me, anyway): If you don't wear two fragrances at a time (hands/arms), it's less than half as interesting.

The whole "coffee bean" thing...

Teddius

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    I once thought I couldn't go over and browse or buy feminine-directed scents at the mall, and then for a while I felt compelled to create the 'I'm shopping for my wife' myth. Now if a SA says something like 'these are for women' I give them a look. SAs that know their stuff know it doesn't matter.
    I just never even thought about exploring the "women's fragrance" section. But once I did, it opened up a whole new world. But it's a shame that so many people's fragrance purchases are STILL influenced/dictated by marketing, and not their own noses.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 22nd June 2009 at 09:41 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Colognes contain the designers sweat/pheromones

There is a "ONE" cologne for you made perfectly for the TYPE OF PERSON you are, nothing to do with body chemistry or anything but a purely social construct. The ultimate goal is to find the one.

Colognes are to be worn on special occasions only.

These outrageous ideas were purported to me by my friend who considered himself an expert when he found Calvin Klein Eternity Summer 2005, back when we were in high school and I knew nothing about anything but school and video games.

That men wore masculine fragrance and women wore feminine.

I used to think a scent is exactly 'a scent' , there is no such thing as top notes middle notes base notes.
    Perfume noob

When I was a child, neither parent wore perfume and my Dad's one reaction to any and all frags was "ugh, cat's piss!". The only exposure I ever got was walking through the perfume section of department stores. For a few years as a young child I was therefore quite convinced that ALL perfume smelled of the perfume department - nondescript 'perfume' smell.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

This was a great question. My goofiest idea was that men wore men's "cologne" and women wore women's "perfume". I had no idea of oil concentration, but the biggest thing that delayed my fragrance findings is that I did not try the men's frags on myself, so most of my life, I searched for something that was not there, labeled for me... It was frustrating and I wish I had known earlier. Now, with the help of basenotes and all of the wondeful people who contribute, I have a wardrobe of mostly men's fragrances... I never liked florals or women's orientals... Some of my favorites, in no particular order, are Burberry, Penhaligons Douro, Jo Malone's Amber and Lavender..... All for men... This simple thought opened half the market to me... I still get looks and questions when I venture to the men's counter, but if I find something, it is worth the annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSS View Post
    I used to think a scent is exactly 'a scent' , there is no such thing as top notes middle notes base notes.
    Right, that was my misconception. I used to buy fragrance right after spraying and really only getting the top notes.

You know, there are SO many advantages to getting samples via the web and/or trading them with BN pals. One can test away at one's own pace!

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSS View Post
    I thought that too!

Spraying yourself more than 1 or 2 times is overkill

When I was 13, I believed a friend when he told me Jovan Musk would get me laid. I went out and bought it. It was many many years afterward that I got my wish. Sooooooo I wonder if it just had a delayed effect or it really doesn't get men laid. I actually found the bottle a few years ago and threw it away.

- Al

A fragrance was only to be used on special occasions.

The cologne for young guys was Axe and for older guys it was some generic powerhouse smelling thing. This idea is what kept me from exploring the world of scents.

I was so rediculously oblivious to the fragrance world until 3 years ago. If you had asked me then to name some colognes, all I could name were Quorum and Jovan Musk.

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    When I was a child, neither parent wore perfume and my Dad's one reaction to any and all frags was "ugh, cat's piss!". The only exposure I ever got was walking through the perfume section of department stores. For a few years as a young child I was therefore quite convinced that ALL perfume smelled of the perfume department - nondescript 'perfume' smell.
    That's me, verbatim. Took me forever to learn what I know now, and how much richer I am for it!

I also used to believe religiously in gendered marketing.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    When I was thirteen or fourteen years old, I sometimes thought that girls liked some of my friends more because they wore some other fragrance and I wore CK One. Specifically, I thought that Tommy was the key to popularity.

So was Tommy Girl.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Well, I used to think that fragrances are for old ladies only, hehe.

I can say that I

loved to wear fragrances as a

child, but I though that if

the bottle wasn't pink and

the fragrance didn't smell like some

mixture of fruit, flowers, and sugar

then it was a "mens" perfume
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

that the general term cologne was EDC
    x2
    It was all just cologne to me until BN.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Faust View Post
    This was a great question. My goofiest idea was that men wore men's "cologne" and women wore women's "perfume".
    x2 x2

that you were supposed to own and wear only one fragrance at a time until it was gone, and then repurchase -- i.e. the mythical "signature scent."
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

I was thinking that coffee (beans or ground) will help to re-load olfaction system.
    I was thinking that USA perfumes (namely CK) are better than Russian. OK, that was just after Iron Curtain fall. Then I was thinking that French perfumes (Guerlain, Chanel) are better than American (CK, Hilfiger).
    Then - that new perfume is better than old, selective is better that designer, etc,etc,etc.
    The whole thing of comparison is wrong.
    I like some perfume more - that`s true.
    And one more - the perfume smells the same on every person. Body chemistry is a real wonder! Especially when a person keeps some special diet (vegetarian, low-calorie, no hydrocarbons, etc), the scent changes dramatically!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    That Creed has been making fragrances since before the 1980s.
    LOL

Mine were:

"all are variations on a couple of themes" e.g. aldehydic chypres for women and boozy fougeres for men (this was before the days of calone)
    ((I had no idea that that's what the accords were called, I just recognized the familiar scents and had no words to attach to them))

and

"most are indistinguishable from each other"

and

"everyone who wears fragrance, wears way too damned much"

and

I never needed more than one bottle at a time
    Last edited by andylama; 23rd June 2009 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    I was thinking that coffee (beans or ground) will help to re-load olfaction system.
    Seriously, is it just a myth? The SAs at upscale stores here always have some coffee beans.

Most of mine have been mentioned:

1) men cannot wear a perfume made for women and vice versa.
    2) one signature scent is all you need
    3) all scents always smell the same, there is no progression. the "top notes" are all there is.
    4) $200 per bottle is way too much for a perfume

and I don't see these mentioned:

5) the same scent on the same person always smells the same, regardless of the climate.
    6) that any scent is suitable to wear at any time (of day, of year)
    Last edited by baudilus; 23rd June 2009 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Seriously, is it just a myth? The SAs at upscale stores here always have some coffee beans.
    I believe that they do that to make the "nouveau riche" believe that they are in on something that "commoners" are not, and more importantly to keep people there, smelling fragrances - if they think that coffee beans will allow them to sniff frags all day long, they'll stand there for an hour and end up buying two or three bottles, when they don't realize that the bottle of Le Male is WAY stronger than their noses say it is.

The fact of the matter is, your nose gets tired and only time will "reset" it.

the designer him or herself created the fragrance
    Me too. Apart from that, I used to think that

- Layering 2 fragrances was bad thing and people didn't do that.
    - Eau de Perfum was always stronger than Eau de Toilette.
    - Leather note was obtained by using the real leather in the distillation process.

Notes listed as the pyramid don't mean much as the AMOUNT of each ingredient makes all the difference..that is why scents with VERY similar pyramids smell nothing alike.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    The fact of the matter is, your nose gets tired and only time will "reset" it.
    True, but I have found that the coffee beans are a kind of palate cleanser when I'm moving between fragrances. It doesn't help my nose get 'untired', but it does seem to help with the overlap when I'm going from scent to scent, if that makes sense?

I thought Davidoff was the best an most successful House.
    I thought Goodlife was the best fragrance ever created....

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Yes, it`s a myth.
    Coffee has a distinct smell - and perfume too.
    Both aroma substances will be captured in fluid running in our olphactive organ in nose.
    And you cannot take perfume out of this fluid by any other scent.
    It`s just like wipe out rose blushes from one`s cheeks by blue shades.

I read some info on Procter&Gamble official site devoted to the problem.
    They investigate it and found out that your own unscented skin is the best solution (unscented inner elbow, or other).
    Vetiver The Great!!!