3. Rive Gauche (Intense) - Nice casual scent
    4. Black Aoud - For whenever i wanna stand out
    5. Vetiver Extraordinaire - A bit of casual "class"

6. Creed Millesime imperial
    7. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    8. Chanel Pour Monsieur
    9. Escada Magnetism - Sexy
    10. Gucci Envy
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Default Re: A Wardrobe of 10

1. Vetiver Tonka - laid back dressy Vetiver for all seasons
    2. Yerbamate - green, herbal flashback (Wellington early 70s for some reason?)
    3. Villoresi Uomo - my indoor Mediterranean fix when it's too cool for #9
    4. Coromandel - lush, louche, classy take on Patchouli (for a grown up hippie)
    5. Fou d'Absinthe - I grew up around lotsa Pine trees, wake up call, 'the new fougere'
    6. Daim Blond - dunno, just something about this one - smooth winter vibe
    7. Osmanthus TDC - instant smile . . . the happiest scent in the world.
    8. Noir Epices - takes me back to Java - off the beaten track, under the jungle canopy.
    9. Acqua di Parma Colonia - perfect for Asia, worn it for years and years, just love it
    10. Green Irish Tweed - ditto, especially good for Saturday mornings in Autumn

Will be interesting to see how this holds up as a longterm list . . . there are a few I'm missing already.

I really ought to bookmark all my exercises in this type of thread, to track my "progress" (or lack of)...

Irrational Love: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily
    Meditative Woods: Tam Dao
    Zesty Refreshment: Moroccan Mint Tea
    Aloof and Professional: Hiris
    Comfy and Approachable: Safran Troublant
    Go-to Incense: L'Air du Désert Marocain
    Amber of Choice: Ambre Russe or Ambre Narguilé (couldn't pick, guys...)
    Just Because: Jil Sander Sun
    Something Herbal: L'Occitane Myrtle
    Slot 10: [an opoponax: Eau Lente, Opoponax Intense, Impérial Opoponax and Ligea La Sirena all vie for this spot]
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Thumbs up Re: A Wardrobe of 10

1.Giorgio Beverly Hills
    2.Red for men Beverly Hills
    3.Aramis
    4.Aramis 900
    5.Bel Ami
    6.Escada
    7.Paul Sebastian
    8.Givenchy Gentlemen
    9.Creed BdP
    10.Yatagan

My Make me Feel like a Million Dollars: Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque.

My Incense and make me Wistful: Tauer L'air du Desert Morocain

My All purpose, never offensive, wife likes: Creed Green Irish Tweed

My summer all purpose, never offense, every likes on me: Creed Millisime Imperial

My want to be exclusive, bet no on in Memphis has this, and upliftin: Montale Red Vetyver

My make you think as you walk by while sniffing me: Comme Des Garcons 2 Man

My winter, comfort and yet, impressive scent: Lutens Chergui

I have actually been really thinking hard on this...
    Although I am just trying to pair mine down to a collection of 50...its so FU%$ing hard to do...lol
    Seriously, In all honesty....I'd like to pair it down to 30 scents...we'll see how that goes though....some of my scents...its not even worth selling them because of what I can get and all the hassle with shipping and fees associated (these PO prices suck) I'll try to make a list this week...hey the first step is admitting you have a problem....right?

LOL

I have pared my collection down to 30. I could probably go down to 20 pretty easily. I just don't need all those scents. I also have my watch collection down to about 10. I'm really starting to focus on keeping just the stuff I use and really like. I'd also like to employ the same principle for purchases.

Why am I doing this? Good question. Tired of wasting money?
    Current faves: Aventus, Green Irish Tweed, MFK Masculin Pluriel, Dior Homme Eau, TDH Parfum

My wardrobe of Ten:

1. Fetish by Neil Morris ------------ sweet, mellow, ambratic and gorgeous
    2. Rush by Gucci ------------ discontinued gem, energizing
    3. L'Homme Sage by Divine ----------- great winter fragrance
    4. Quasar by J. del Pozo ----------- fresh 90's designer scent with personal memories for me
    5. XPEC Original by XPEC ---------- tuberose in a deep and dark men's perfume!
    6. Touaregh by Il Profumo ----------spicy and peppery rose without oud
    7. Steam Aoud by Montale ----------- my oud favorite, quite straightforward
    8. Flowers for Men: Rose by Neil Morris ------------very laid back, for lazy days
    9. Vétiver by Annick Goutal ----------- very good vetiver
    10. English Breakfast by Mark Buxton ----------------- clean laundry changing into transparent vetiver after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I have pared my collection down to 30. I could probably go down to 20 pretty easily. I just don't need all those scents. I also have my watch collection down to about 10. I'm really starting to focus on keeping just the stuff I use and really like. I'd also like to employ the same principle for purchases.

I've been attempting the same thing...I have about 50 bottles, maybe 10 of which I wear regularly. Some of them (about 10 others) are "collector's items" that I don't want to part with....the rest can go AFAIC. Selling is a hassle though!
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post

Yes, stay out of TJ Maxx and don't be lured by those discounted cheapies
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    My want to be exclusive, bet no on in Memphis has this, and upliftin: Montale Red Vetyver
    Well I know of at least one other person in Memphis who has it.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My wardrobe of 10 is in my signature below. If you are a collector, then this sort of minimalism is not needed. It works for me and I seem to have a peace with myself when my collection stays around 10. It is a personal thing only. It is not a reflection on those that have large wardrobes. I think that is cool too and envy you at times. We all do what makes us feel in balance. I got down to 5, but it felt just a little too spare even for me.

Terre d'Hermes
    Red Vetyver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    CDG Vettiveru

are all in my collection forever and non-negotiable. The other 6 are great for me now, but not ultimately exempt from examination for future drobe changes.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 23rd June 2009 at 04:10 PM.

A wardrobe of 10, for right now, summertime with the heat . . . and why these?

1. Concentree d' Orange Verte, - a fresh "wake me up" fragrance that cleanses.

2. Encens et Lavande - I've got to have the healing power of green lavender in my life.

3. Turtle Vetiver - a green underground vetiver is necessary to keep my feet in the earth.

4. Patchouly Indonesiano - camphorous minty patchouli for the mystery of it.

5. Baume du Doge - nothing lifts you up with happiness like the orange incense spice notes of this one.

6. Rose 31 - my sexy rose scent choice.

7. Ambre Fetiche - Nothing comforts and warms you like amber and this one has incense + patchouli finish too. Great in heat or cold.

8. Avignon - to fill in the lower base register of the spectrum. hmmm.

9. Archipelago - this magical mysterious oud, (or Sheik's Borneo, or Borneo 4000) are absolute must haves for the enchantment of the earth through Indonesian oud.

10. Muscs Kublai Khan - warm and comforting.

Like many here I realized after making this list I could just as easily make a second and third top ten list. But, they would probably still be in these same basic types of scents. Ten categories that I seem to seek out for great fragrances: Fresh, Lavender, Earthy Vetiver, Patchouli, Spice Woods, Rose, Amber, Incense, Oud, and Leather/Tobacco masculine.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 25th June 2009 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apicius View Post
    6. Touaregh by Il Profumo ----------spicy and peppery rose without oud
    You're the first one I see mentioning Touaregh on here! Undeservedly below-the-radar, I feel.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I think that my wardrobe has become a little bit fat so I always think about which would be the scents that I would get rid off and which would be the ones I keep.

Now, ten? Well, let's make an effort and let's get a reason as to the choices...

1 Guerlain Vetiver
    2 Guerlain Habit Rouge
    3 Aramis

The second one one would replace Shalimar and the last one, Cabochard. They all represent the 1960's, first ones French in style, the last one, American.

4 Davidoff's Zino
    5 Chanel Antaeus

These last two are good representations of 1980's style in fragrance making.

6 Chanel Pour Monsieur

A classic from the 1950's.

7 Hermes Equipage
    8 Givenchy Gentleman
    9 YSL pour Homme

One gentlemanly and two not so uptight versions of perfumes dating from the 1970's. YSL could replace Dior's Eau Sauvage and Monsieur de Givenchy.

10 Rochas Moustache or Dunhill for Men or Caron's Pour Un Homme

Old ones, dating from the 1930's / 1940's. The first two are either difficult to find or discontinued, so they would be replaced by the last one.

This omits beloved drugstore scents, like Old Spice, Skin Bracer and Agua de Lavanda Puig, as well as VC&A pour Homme, which I came to realize that I like a lot.

BTW, thanks I can't have access to niche scents. Ths would prove a nightmare.

Since I don't even have 10 scents (I force myself to sell the ones I don't like anymore) lol I will say the ones I have/wish I had. No particular order:

Terre d'Hermes
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Bvlgari PH Extreme
    Jaipur Homme EDP
    Chanel Allure
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Michael Kors for Men
    Serge Lutens - Serge Noire
    Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    Creed Millisime Imperial

It is lacking in the aqua/fresh category, I just blinded a Leau par Kenzo, maybe that might make the list.

1. My bed scenst: YSL's M7 or Prada Amber pour homme.
    2. My casual scent: Prada Infusion d'Homme or Guerlain Herbal Fresca.
    3. My Club scents: CdG Parfum or Montale Black Oud or Amen.
    4. My evening wear scents: Serge Lutens Borneo or Tom Ford Oud Wood or Givenchy Gentleman.
    5. My romantique scents: CnC scent intense or Nar for him

That's my 10 at the moment
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 24th June 2009 at 05:02 AM.

My updated ideal drobe of 10, in no particular order

1. Fleur du Male - ultimate comfort scent that works well in all but the warmest temperatures. Simultaneously sexy and snuggly.

2) Amouage Silver - my ultimate go to, everyday frag. Full of perfectly married contrasts. Has some note or chemical that really tickles my nose, and elevates my spirits.

3) Amouage Lyric Man - my favorite rose. Smooth, sexy and versatile.

4) L'Anarchiste - cinnamon, woods, musk. Manly. Autumn staple. Also for same reasons as initially listed.

5) Colonia Intensa - gentlemanly, elegant and versatile. A great year rounder. Also has the same 'nose tickling' quality that Amouage Silver does.. it's almost euphoric.

6) Narciso Rodriguez PH - debated going with Micallef's white sea instead but this is deeper, earthier and richer. White Sea is probably more versatile and easily wearable but there are times I really want this earthy dirty musky experience and NR is perfect.

7) Rien - sexy, powerful, dry, dirty, smooth and animalic leather and incense. Something to wear to concerts or whenever general 'bad-assness' is needed.

8) Bois de Turquie - my other autumnal scent. Still love it for all the reasons in my original post.

9) M7 - such a sexy and wonderful woody scent. Just wish I could find something like this that was a bit less synthetic. I think I need to check out Amouage Epic Man!

10) Prada Amber - a great heavier, soapy clean scent. Very nice in winter - another great cozy/snuggly scent, too.

I still feel like I am missing some key things and I'm not 100% in love with all aspects of M7 (too synthetic), Rien (behaves weirdly sometimes, getting too dry/harsh), Fleur Du Male (too longlasting), Colonia Intensa (gets a tad bit grating by time it wears off 12+ hours after application), NR PH (a tad bit too synthetic).

I removed Lys Mediterranee from my list as I found it to be too long lasting, too synthetic in the drydown, and I just didn't feel that comfortable wearing it. I removed Versace PH as while I really do like it, I don't think I'd wear it nearly as much as an everyday scent now that I've found Amouage Silver. I filled that slot with Colonia Intensa which is warmer, more elegant, spicier, and yet really just as versatile and wearable as VPH.

Erolfa is good but completely underwhelming in the winter, hence its exclusion for more versatile frags.

Un Parfum des Sens et Bois gets a bit synthetic in the drydown and can turn strangely urinous on me in the heat.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

My "Billboard" Top 10 this week :P :

1. Serge Lutens Chergui: Beautiful. Like a sweet kiss on my body.

2. Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental: Classic, luxurious, and so masculin.

3. YSL La nuit de L'Homme: Fresh oriental scent. Very interesting.

4. Thierry Mugler Pure Malt: addicted whisky.

5. Knize 10: classic, complex, and so damn sexy.

6. Tea for Two: cozy, refined, natural... A beautiful tea.

7. CdG 8 88: a wonderful incense perfume. Dry and hot at the same time.

8. Serge Lutens MKK: one of the best musc scents.

9. Montale Black Oud: a beautiful dark rose for a man.

10. Guerlain Herbal Fresca: Simple one of the best fresh scents for summer. Beautiful and pure, like an early morning in the forest.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Though i strongly believe this is subject to change quite soon...
    My updated essential 10 (hopefully this list will be unchanged for a longer period)

1. Segre Lutens Cedre (Haute Concentration) - tuberose! what else, cedar??

2. Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan - Amber; tied with Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche - also another lovely amber scent

3. Serge Lutens Gris Clair - Lavender

4. L'Artisan Vanilla - Vanilla

5. Annick Goutal Musc Nomade - smooth musk (not as animalic as other well-known beasts)

6. Creed Erolfa - marine scent

7. Narciso Rodriguez for Him - moist green scent

8. Creed Love In White - floral scent

9. Yohji Homme - gourmand

10. Segre Lutens Santal Blanc - floral sandalwood? tied with Serge Lutens Chypre Rouge (Haute Concentration) - sweet (honeyed?) pine scent

*2nd half of the year usually means cooler weather (monsoon season), in fact it rained the past 2 days! So I am using my citrus and aquatics scents a little less, but I would eventually have to alter my 10 to slot in the freshies when the weather HEATS up again*
    Last edited by MFJ; 27th August 2009 at 04:50 AM.

In no particular order

1. Musc Ravageur : Sex in a bottle.
    2. L'air du desert marocain: Dunno, just really love it.
    3. Domenico Caraceni: So smooth and clean.
    4. Parfum d'Habit: Autumn in a bottle
    5. Creed MI: melon madness
    6. Kouros: Chest hair-growth juice
    7. Magnetism: Clubbing, lucky scent. (yes i mean it, lucky)
    8. Rive Gauche: barbershop for casual encounters.
    9. Gucci Envy: Clubbing, date.
    10. Montale Black Aoud: when i feel rich , and feel like spreading the sillage.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"