Code of Conduct

Default A Wardrobe of 10

I suppose this is somewhat similar to a top 10 thread, but yet.. not . If you could only have 10 fragrances in your drobe, what would you pick, and most importantly, why?

Based on everything I've tried, here is what I would go with as of today

1. Bois de Turquie
    I just love it. Cinnamon, orange, incense, sandalwood, orris, myrrh. It's a light enough oriental to be worn in all but the warmest of temps (it actually seems to fair best in warmer weather). Rich and opulent but its restrained nature makes it suitable for nearly any occasion. Its three distinct phases allow it to fit the role of my orris scent, one of my cinnamon scents (one of my favorite notes!), and my sandalwood scent.

2. Prada Amber
    Ultra clean and yet evolves nicely and has a sort of magnetic allure to it. Extremely unique and fares fairly well in all weather and almost all situations. Versatile!

3. Versace Pour Homme
    Another medium weight kind of frag that fairs well in many situations. Light enough to be a 'casual aquatic' but heavy enough to come across as slightly formal if you were dressed up. The cedar and oud in the drydown are nice, as is the mineralic note in the late drydown. The drydown is combined with a very nice citrus opening and sage heart. In this lineup it would serve mostly as a daily casual fragrance.

4. L'Anarchiste
    Versatile medium weight frag (can you see a trend here? ). It's dark and brooding and yet has some spiritual qualities with the nice dose of cedar. One of my favorites during fall.. I've often called it the "scent of autumn, bottled."

5. Narciso Rodriguez PH
    *The* scent to wear when it is raining outside. Dark, mysterious, elegant and glorious. A gothic Grey Flannel. This would serve as my primary green fragrance, too.

6. Fleur du Male
    Sexy, sweet, woody, playful and barbershoppy. Makes a great date scent if you're feeling bold, and applied lightly works great in the spring. It's also extremely comforting to me. Along with Prada Amber, the most comforting fragrances I have tried.

7. Un Parfum des Sens et Bois
    Ethereal incense, cedar and violets (almost smells like an airy ylang ylang note). Meditative and yet suitable for nearly any occasion. My drobe would need at least one incense scent and this is my first pick (if I were to include a second incense it would be Serge Noire)

8. Lys Mediterranee
    Would be a staple of my spring and summer wardrobe. A cool lily based scent that doesn't get too sweet on me and stays firmly in the unisex boat. Sometimes you just want to smell like a flower, y'know?

9. Erolfa
    Sometimes you just want to smell like the ocean. Salt. Mmm. This scent is one of the few that can be worn in 90+ degree temperatures with no fear of it turning on you. My favorite aquatic (I consider Versace Pour Homme to be more of a citrus/woody with an almost oriental drydown)

10. Not 100% sure what to fill this spot with yet. Something very woody and meditative. At least meditative. Some candidates are: Bois de Aoud, Tam Dao (need to test this more), Serge Noire, Royal Aoud, Hinoki (need to test more), Let me Play the Lion.

Honorable mentions:
    Ungaro II - a beautiful scent. One of the finest I've ever smelled.. I just don't know when to wear it. I'm debating sticking it in the #10 slot just so I can have it around to sniff from time to time.

M7 - I love this but I've got other scents on the list that could be worn in its place, and it's not versatile enough. I have a feeling if it was winter right now and I was wearing this as regularly as I do in winter, that it would definitely be on my list. I haven't worn it in quite a while and so I'm forgetting all of its best qualities and remembering its slightly synthetic drydown. That's another reason its not on the list as of now.

Antidote - I love it but it lasts TOO long and I find the drydown to be just too synthetic to justify it being on my top 10 of all time.

Davidoff Adventure - I love this, too, but sometimes find it *too* spicy. L'Anarchiste and Bois de Turquie have some similar aspects both having woods and cinnamon and so 3 scents of this nature are just not necessary and Adventure is my least favorite of the three.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 21st June 2009 at 02:54 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Dependent

Default Re: A Wardrobe of 10

In no order:

1. Bvlgari Aqua - simply for being the best mainstream aquatic i know

2. Erolfa - Being a huge aquatic person, I would want another

3. Original Santal - I like the warmness and this could be used for various occasions

4. Gucci Envy Men - another warm scent that is slightly more casual

5. GIT - I definitely want a sweet masculine scent that is easily likable

6. Guerlain Vetiver - this would be my only vetiver frag

7. Fahrenheit - has been a fave of mine for sometime

8. Eau Sauvage - sentimental reasons and can be my only citrus-based

9. Guerlain Heritage - would be great for my semi-formal outings or sessions

10. M7 - my choice candidate for black tie/formal events.

Though i strongly believe this is subject to change quite soon...

With 10 to choose I'd need to go for faves from the genres. As I learned on my recent 2 week vacation on which I brought about 15 scents, having so few to chose from is very boring.

Derby - the great masculine
    SDV - the great vanilla
    Dior Homme - just great
    Bois des Iles - classic beauty
    Knize Ten - need one leather
    Philtre d'Amour - need one citrus/cologne
    Parure - favorite chypre
    Pour Monsieur - classic
    Borneo 1834 - need one patchouli
    Micallef Rose Aoud or Aoud Gourmet - need one oud

Havana / Havana Reserva - My all time favorite... Enough said!

Richard James (Savile Row) - Another fave that's great for formal occasions

Rive Gauche Intense PH - Anytime, anywhere, anything scent

Opium Eau d'Orient - Same as RG... Made for summer, but can we worn all year...

Kenzo Power - Great spring / fall alternative... Solid choice as an everyday floral

Hugh Parsons Blue - Great evening frag for all seasons. Guaranteed not too offend.

Encre Noire - My favorite vetiver scent. Great for all but the warmest of seasons...

Alba (Laura Tonatto) - Wonderful & unique take on citrus & moss than can be worn all year

Iss (Laura Tonatto) - Citrus scent that works great all year

M7 - This slot would be the wildcard that can change anytime... M7 is something I recently fell for. I just need to find the "red" bottle...

This kind of pruning of my wardrobe is never going to happen in the real world, but here goes:

1. Yohji Yamamoto: Yohji - my last signature scent, have used up six full bottles of it, could not imagine life without it.

2. Comme des Garçons: Comme des Garçons EdP - a spicy powerhouse soulmate scent.

3. Etro: Messe de Minuit - another soulmate scent, hub's favourite, he calls it "the treasure of the archives".

4. Annick Goutal: Vétiver - there must be one vetiver scent, and this one is my "I've crossed oceans of time to find you" vetiver.

5. Serge Lutens: Encens et Lavande - there must also be one lavender scent and this is the one I wear most.

6. Caron: N'Aimez Que Moi - possibly the most romantic scent I own.

7. L'Artisan: DZING! - an oddball scent I feel always comfortable in.

8. Robert Piguet: Bandit - one also needs one "take no prisoners" leather scent...

9. Guerlain: L'Heure Bleue - there must be one Guerlain and this one always makes me feel all is well in the universe, a safety blanket of a scent.

10. Ormonde Jayne: Ormonde Woman - cool, velvety violets, one of my favourite evening scents, dark and dramatic.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

In no particular order:

1) Dior Homme - My all time favourite

2) Dior Homme Sport - a good summer alternative to my all time favourite

3) Creed Millesime Imperial - a classy aquatic; great for summer, and always gets me a compliment or two

4) Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta - a wonderful EdC, with wonderful longevity, and an invigorating quality

5) Yardley English Lavender - or Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge; every wardrobe needs a lavender based fragrance

6) Lorenzo Villoresi Musk - soft floral musk; great for winter

7) Dunhill Edition - lemon and spice; wonderful

8) Chanel Egoiste - Wonderful rich Sandalwood

9) Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne - Refreshing and calming fragrance - brilliant for hot summer months

10) Bvlagri Eau Parfumee au The Rouge - matthewfoo mentioned this in another thread, and I just got a craving for it
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I knew I was forgetting something..

A lavender scent, a rose scent, and a vetiver.

Well, I could get lavender and rose with Ungaro II. For a vetiver I'd go with Annick Goutal too.. or maybe the old Route du Vetiver. But what to get rid of on my list? Hmm.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Dependent

M7. when i spray mine on, it will rub off on you

chanel allure homme
    chanel allure edition blanche
    dolce and gabbana the one
    joop thrill
    Gucci envy
    ck one
    chanel platinum egoiste
    clinique happy for men
    davidoff cool water
    Hugo boss hugo

My fav scents of all time.

I'm still unsure of if I should stick with my list of ones I love, or try to include a few categories or notes that went unrepresented in my original list (most likely because even the "best of" that I've come across from the category I don't like or see myself wearing more than the top 10 in my list).

I really would like to cut my wardrobe down to about 10 - 20 scents maximum. 10 - 20 scents that I absolutely love and would in turn wear frequently enough to be intimate with their every detail.

I'll never give up sampling but even now I find that I have so many samples I haven't properly evaluated and just don't get around to because I'd rather wear something I know I love or that I know is suitable for the day or occasion.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Ok here goes........

Bleecker Street: The fresh maker. Pretty much my go to, when I don't feel like thinking about anything. Incredibly fresh and bright, sexy as hell too.

Angeliques Sous la Pluies: The signature. This basically sums me up. Understated, fresh, spicy, green, I love it.

Vetiver Pour Elle: The beauty. The spotlight of my collection. Again, this is all me, fresh green, absolutely beautiful, and works well in ANY situation.

Cadjmere 18: My everyday autumn scent. Woody, smooth, slightly sweet, quiet, introverted. Just comfortable as all hell.

Encre Noir: My blow your mind scent. One thing is for sure, if I am ever in need to have a conversation starter, Encre Noir is my go to guy. Yes, that is ink your smelling.....

Amouage Dia for Men: Mr. Elegant. You need something in your wardrobe that just makes you smell like a million (or two) bucks. Sillage, longevity, smell, everything is absolutely perfect. One of the greatest smells on earth.

Hugh Parsons Blue: My go-to casual. No situation is ever too big or too small for Mr. Parsons. Cool, confident, laid back, yet classy. My scent for when I need to make a quiet impression, but feel comfortable at the same time.

Mure et Musc Extreme: The Panty Dropper. What else can be said, this stuff smells frickin' brilliant. And the compliments almost begin to get annoying after a while.

Straight to Heaven: My semi-gourmand. Smooth as all hell. Boozy sexiness bottled.

Empty Slot: My gourmand. I am in the search right now for it, so I have nothing to fill this spot at the moment. But possible contenders include: The Serge Lutens: Vetiver Oriental, Borneo 1834, and Douce Amere, Cologne du 68, L'Instant Pour Homme Eau Extreme and Chocolat Amere.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 21st June 2009 at 10:20 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm still unsure of if I should stick with my list of ones I love, or try to include a few categories or notes that went unrepresented in my original list (most likely because even the "best of" that I've come across from the category I don't like or see myself wearing more than the top 10 in my list).

I really would like to cut my wardrobe down to about 10 - 20 scents maximum. 10 - 20 scents that I absolutely love and would in turn wear frequently enough to be intimate with their every detail.

I'll never give up sampling but even now I find that I have so many samples I haven't properly evaluated and just don't get around to because I'd rather wear something I know I love or that I know is suitable for the day or occasion.
    See, I don't think I could cut it down to the required 10. In my list I have quite a few genres listed but because of this have ommited some of my favorites. I think 20 is duable but 10 is too hard.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed - true year rounder. citrus, earthy-floral, woods, creamy, earthy wood base is simply the best.
    2. Creed Original Vetiver - another scent strong enough for cold weather, fresh enough for warm weather. best fresh vetiver out. Superbly rich, yet still green drydown on heavy application.
    3. Hermes Concentre D'Orange Verte - of all the contemporary EDC-type citrus scents, this is the strongest, and most natural smelling. Impossible to over apply/never offensive. When applied heavy the mango and papaya really shine.
    4. Creed Selection Verte - of all the traditional EDC-type scents, this was not only the most interesting/unique, but also more lasting than most(besides colonia), excellent warm weather citrus/herb/floral, that is timeless.
    5. Sisley Eau De Campagne - most realistic "light green" scent ever. just enough citrus and floral to balance the very natural tomato leaf heart note. Unrivaled.
    6. Creed Millesime Imperial - unbelievable fruit/citrus/floral, with just enough palm sap/wood to keep it from being too femme. as with most creeds, it does not become offensive at any level of application.
    7. Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes - deliciously "wet" lime-citrus scent. longevity isn't very good, and a heavy application does reveal a synthetic nature, but it's still a no doubt keeper in my book for starting out fun, wet, and sweet/tart, and ending green and spicy.
    8. Creed Erolfa - Took me awhile to rate this one highly, but this is the only scent I have "come to understand" after initially being unimpressed. I think all the very slight use of many different watery floral, crisp herbal and sharp coniferous notes (yes, pine is in their official pyramid), when tied into the thick, (I'm assuming aged) briny ambergris really delivers an incredible olfactory image. It is a subtle scent, but again, with most creeds, even bathing in this never gets offensive or overly synthetic. I now prefer this over Bvlgari as the best Aqiuatic.
    9. Guerlain Vetiver Sport - THE most slept on flanker of all time. Took a truly great green cologne and removed all the dated notes (carnation, tobacco, etc) and replaced them with very contemporary ones (Mandarin, Capsicum red pepper). Very fresh take on Guerlain's classic, and still very masculine.
    10. Creed Green Valley - Of all the noticable sweet green scents, this is clearly the winner. maybe not a pure green valley, more of a green-beige-white valley, which i prefer as I've already got several "pure green" scents. Not always in the mood for so much honeysuckle bush/vanilla/sweetness, but when I am, this is the one I reach for. A keeper.

I agree with Guerlain Vetiver, Eau Sauvage, Knize Ten, ADP Colonia Assoluta and Gucci Envy, so that leaves me with only 5 titles left to choose and they would most likely be:

Ungaro III
    Armani PH
    Hugh Parsons... Yellow
    Antaeus
    Bois du Portugal

1. Eau Noire: Signature scent, dark and mysterious but ultra comforting
    2. Cologne Blanche: The anti-thesis to Eau Noire, great for when I just want to smell clean and innocent.
    3. Morning Blossom: Smells like happiness and relaxation in a bottle
    4. Vetiver Extraordinaire: Great for when I want to smell like a green forest
    5. Gendarme: The boring, yet ever-so-good office frag that everyone loves (eg. "ooouuhh you smell like soap.")
    6. Black XS: The uber synthetic clubbing fragrance that never fails to get compliments.
    7. Costes: Fall fragrance - cinnamon and incense. Has a spiritual vibe while also smelling trendy.
    8. Mugler Cologne: I wear this when I'm thirsty and feeling a bit gritty on a hot day.

That's all I really need. I could get greedier though
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 21st June 2009 at 05:30 PM.
    Sales thread here

1)Serge Noir
    2)Borneo 1813
    3)Gucci Pour Homme
    4)Very Irresistible
    5)Guerlain Vetiver
    6)Guerlain L'Instant
    7)Amouage Lyric Man
    8)Montale Black Aoud
    9)CdG Kyoto
    10)Terre D'Hermes

Shalimar - Everyone needs an oriental, this one is the best ever.
    Patchouli by Réminiscence - My choice amongst all the patchouli fragrances out there.
    Muscs Koublaï Khän - Unique musk that stands alone, but also layers well.
    Body Kouros - Everyone needs a screamer. This one is LOUD, but the drydown is sublime.
    Wall Street - My choice amongst the tidal wave of aquatics. This one is also a great floral.
    Sous Le Vent Guerlain - My choice for a citrus classic.
    Messe de Minuit - An eccentric incense, nice orange top.
    Vétiver Annick Goutal - You have to have a vetiver, this one is great as it skips the citrus and replaces it with iodine.
    Eau d'Hermès - My favorite eau and a wardrobe without a Roudnitska is unthinkable.
    Sables Annick Goutal - Year rounder, tenacious and the use of immortelle is perfect.

Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st June 2009 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    See, I don't think I could cut it down to the required 10. In my list I have quite a few genres listed but because of this have ommited some of my favorites. I think 20 is duable but 10 is too hard.
    I agree, but I'd need more then 20. I grasp the impetus to downsize and I've seen a few collectors do this - and I've also seen those people regret it. Before someone downsizes severely I'd suggest they experiment first by picking ten (or whatever # you plan to downsize to) bottles, put the rest in the closet and go a month with just those ten. If you enjoy this, then start selling, but at least try first. I know I got bored with 15 scents on a 14 day vacation (I weat 2/day often). One can of course focus on a slection of fragrances without selling the rest.

Anyway, my list above needs a vetiver, so I'd probably take out Pour Monsieur and put in Vetiver Pour Elle or Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Chanel No. 5 Parfum
    Iris Pallida
    Ormonde Jayne Seraphim
    SL Bois de Violette
    TF Oud Wood
    TF Tobacco Vanille
    AG Myrrhe Ardente Parfum
    AdP Profumo
    Mitsouko
    and last but not least...
    Blue Jeans!!!

Penhaligon's LP No9: my signature scent
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit vintage Extrait: perfume poetry
    Christian Dior Eau Noire: my winter staple
    Olivier Durbano Rock Crystal: earthy and elemental
    Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline: fire and brimstone
    Hermés Eau de Orange Verte: citrus royalty
    Washington Tremlett Black Tie: my "go to" rose
    Thierry Mugler Cologne: summer staple
    Diptyque Eau Lente: my must-have spice
    Costume National Scent Intense: my "mauvais garcon" shape-shifting scent

Green Irish Tweed
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Bois du Portugal
    Santal Noble
    Original Vetiver
    Gris Clair
    Neroli Sauvage
    Jubilation XXV
    Racquets
    Eau des Baux

These challenges are always intriguing. I enjoy them because they help me focus on the fragrances I honestly care about most, and why. Of course, as we all know that is subject to change!

At this moment, I'll go with

The Versatile Vetiver and So Much More: Etro Shaal Nur

The Easy to Wear Rose: Gres Cabaret

The Special Occasion Perfect Rose: Malle Une Rose

The World's Most Amazing Incense Blend: L'Artisan Dzongkha

The Green Floral Chypre: Henry Dunay Sabi

The Salt Fix: Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel

The Sexy Tropical Floral: Saffron James Nani

The Perfect Purple Floral: TDC Bois d'Iris

The Eau de Hot Summer Day: L'Artisan Eau de Jatamansi

The Luscious Amber: MpG Ambre Precieux

Edit: I just realized that I left Theorema out. I need that one too, but I don't know which of the others to throw out!
    Last edited by Haunani; 21st June 2009 at 10:03 PM.

It is hard to keep the list so short, but here I go (in no particular order)

1) Eau de Patou - My very first perfume and favorite citrus. Lots of good memories and family love associations with it.

2) Chanel #5 (perfume concentration) - A classic, for elegant and formal occassions.

3) Passage d'Enfer - For those times when I need to focus, be professional, persuasive and credible.

4) L'Heure Bleue - For day dreaming, feeling relaxed and pensive.

5) Avignon - Simply sexy

6) Egoiste - For crisp and mild winter days

7) Cartier Declaration - Spicty yet fresh. Happy scent for me.

8) Gourmand Coquin - I don't own this...yet, but it is my favorite gourmand. After going through several samples, I will get a decant, before making the big investment.

9) Straight to Heaven - Sexy in a party atmosphere

10) Mitsouko - Another classic that should have been in my wardrobe all along. I am glad we got re-acquainted.

Honorary mention to Love by Killian, Douce Amere, Via del Profume Aqua Santa, Shalimar, Bel Respiro, Cristalle, Ambre Narguile, Joy, Chanel #19, New Haarlem. Oops, that makes 20.
    Evenstar

Sur la Plage

Sorry - I could never have just 10.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

This is really hard, but if I had to choose ten right now, here they are:

1. Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver - earthy and classy at the same time. My favorite vetiver.
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum - the top notes make me smile and it dries down to something lovely and different.
    3. Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline - Smokey and beautiful.
    4. L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe - Slightly pungent and a bit dirty, while also slightly sweet and boozy. Very strange and very good.
    5. Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire - I don't know how all of these notes combine into something so beautiful, but they do. I don't know why this one gets so little notice on basenotes.
    6. Caron Yatagan - What can I say that hasn't been said a million times? One of the best masculines ever.
    7. MPG Ambre Precieux - My favorite amber by far.
    8. Serge Lutens Gris Clair - Burnt lavender with (thankfully) none of the Lutens honey.
    9. Salvador Dali PH - This is a great fragrance. There was some spilled in transit when I bought a bottle and I actually kept the cardboard to smell for days.
    10. Givenchy Gentleman - My favorite patchouli.

My wardrobe has been dwindling down close to that level, so it should be easy(ier) to list

No order:
    Cumming
    Santos Eau de Sport
    Baie de Genievre
    Givenchy Gentleman (Vintage)
    Bel Ami (Vintage)
    Tiffany For Him
    Parfum d'Habit
    Musc Koublai Kahn
    Black Aoud
    (Empty)

Mitsouko EdT - the best fruity chypre around
    Vol de Nuit - chypre meets oriental, dark and wonderful!!
    Derby - can´t stop sniffing my wrists...
    New York - one of the best ever made!
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme - the best leather chypre pour homme, IMO!
    3me Homme - smoky flowers, delicious!
    Pour un Homme de Caron - lavande classique et insurpassable!
    Monsieur Balmain - citron classique et insurpassable!
    Pour Monsieur, Chanel - pure class in a bottle!
    Cuir de Russie, Chanel - the leather scent of my dreams!

and:
    Kouros - for the animal in me......

Serge Lutens Chergui
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Poivre Piquant
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Hermes Doblis
    The Different Company Bois d'Iris
    Guerlain Shalimar
    Prada No. 3 Cuir Ambre

Out of my current collection I would choose...

1) Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's - unique floral oriental and all time favourite
    2) Michael Kors for men. I just love it.
    3) Heritage by Guerlain, my favourite powerhouse frag
    4) 3rd Man by Caron - sheer class
    5) Rose 31 by Le Labo.
    6) Dior Homme - one of my favourite evening fragrances
    7) Helmut Lang EDC - a truly great fragrance
    8) Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta - a classic and long lasting cologne
    9) Tommy Bahama original - Because it's spicy, warm and lasts forever
    10) Riverside Drive by Bond No.9

But it would be a toss up for some of those places with so many other fragrances. Ask me tomorrow the list might be different...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

My current list:

1. Declaration (Cartier)
    2. Une Fleur de Cassie (Freddy Malle)
    3. Mitsouko (Guerlain)
    4. 28 La Pausa (Chanel)
    5. Iris Silver Mist (Serge Lutens)
    6. Black (Bvlgari)
    7. Original Aoud (Montale)
    8. Par Amour (Clarins)

I could live with just those 8 frankly. I buy new bottles all the time, and always go back to these...although I admit I rarely wear Iris Silver Mist and Mitsouko, I still wouldn't want to be without them.

1. Musc Ravageur - Awesome for dates
    2. Kouros - For smelling like a man
    3. Rive Gauche (Intense) - Nice casual scent
    4. Black Aoud - For whenever i wanna stand out
    5. Vetiver Extraordinaire - A bit of casual "class"

6. Creed Millesime imperial
    7. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    8. Chanel Pour Monsieur
    9. Escada Magnetism - Sexy
    10. Gucci Envy
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

1. Vetiver Tonka - laid back dressy Vetiver for all seasons
    2. Yerbamate - green, herbal flashback (Wellington early 70s for some reason?)
    3. Villoresi Uomo - my indoor Mediterranean fix when it's too cool for #9
    4. Coromandel - lush, louche, classy take on Patchouli (for a grown up hippie)
    5. Fou d'Absinthe - I grew up around lotsa Pine trees, wake up call, 'the new fougere'
    6. Daim Blond - dunno, just something about this one - smooth winter vibe
    7. Osmanthus TDC - instant smile . . . the happiest scent in the world.
    8. Noir Epices - takes me back to Java - off the beaten track, under the jungle canopy.
    9. Acqua di Parma Colonia - perfect for Asia, worn it for years and years, just love it
    10. Green Irish Tweed - ditto, especially good for Saturday mornings in Autumn

Will be interesting to see how this holds up as a longterm list . . . there are a few I'm missing already.

I really ought to bookmark all my exercises in this type of thread, to track my "progress" (or lack of)...

Irrational Love: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily
    Meditative Woods: Tam Dao
    Zesty Refreshment: Moroccan Mint Tea
    Aloof and Professional: Hiris
    Comfy and Approachable: Safran Troublant
    Go-to Incense: L'Air du Désert Marocain
    Amber of Choice: Ambre Russe or Ambre Narguilé (couldn't pick, guys...)
    Just Because: Jil Sander Sun
    Something Herbal: L'Occitane Myrtle
    Slot 10: [an opoponax: Eau Lente, Opoponax Intense, Impérial Opoponax and Ligea La Sirena all vie for this spot]
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Thumbs up Re: A Wardrobe of 10

1.Giorgio Beverly Hills
    2.Red for men Beverly Hills
    3.Aramis
    4.Aramis 900
    5.Bel Ami
    6.Escada
    7.Paul Sebastian
    8.Givenchy Gentlemen
    9.Creed BdP
    10.Yatagan

My Make me Feel like a Million Dollars: Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque.

My Incense and make me Wistful: Tauer L'air du Desert Morocain

My All purpose, never offensive, wife likes: Creed Green Irish Tweed

My summer all purpose, never offense, every likes on me: Creed Millisime Imperial

My want to be exclusive, bet no on in Memphis has this, and upliftin: Montale Red Vetyver

My make you think as you walk by while sniffing me: Comme Des Garcons 2 Man

My winter, comfort and yet, impressive scent: Lutens Chergui

I have actually been really thinking hard on this...
    Although I am just trying to pair mine down to a collection of 50...its so FU%$ing hard to do...lol
    Seriously, In all honesty....I'd like to pair it down to 30 scents...we'll see how that goes though....some of my scents...its not even worth selling them because of what I can get and all the hassle with shipping and fees associated (these PO prices suck) I'll try to make a list this week...hey the first step is admitting you have a problem....right?

LOL

I have pared my collection down to 30. I could probably go down to 20 pretty easily. I just don't need all those scents. I also have my watch collection down to about 10. I'm really starting to focus on keeping just the stuff I use and really like. I'd also like to employ the same principle for purchases.

Why am I doing this? Good question. Tired of wasting money?

My wardrobe of Ten:

1. Fetish by Neil Morris ------------ sweet, mellow, ambratic and gorgeous
    2. Rush by Gucci ------------ discontinued gem, energizing
    3. L'Homme Sage by Divine ----------- great winter fragrance
    4. Quasar by J. del Pozo ----------- fresh 90's designer scent with personal memories for me
    5. XPEC Original by XPEC ---------- tuberose in a deep and dark men's perfume!
    6. Touaregh by Il Profumo ----------spicy and peppery rose without oud
    7. Steam Aoud by Montale ----------- my oud favorite, quite straightforward
    8. Flowers for Men: Rose by Neil Morris ------------very laid back, for lazy days
    9. Vétiver by Annick Goutal ----------- very good vetiver
    10. English Breakfast by Mark Buxton ----------------- clean laundry changing into transparent vetiver after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I have pared my collection down to 30. I could probably go down to 20 pretty easily. I just don't need all those scents. I also have my watch collection down to about 10. I'm really starting to focus on keeping just the stuff I use and really like. I'd also like to employ the same principle for purchases.

I've been attempting the same thing...I have about 50 bottles, maybe 10 of which I wear regularly. Some of them (about 10 others) are "collector's items" that I don't want to part with....the rest can go AFAIC. Selling is a hassle though!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post

Yes, stay out of TJ Maxx and don't be lured by those discounted cheapies
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    My want to be exclusive, bet no on in Memphis has this, and upliftin: Montale Red Vetyver
    Well I know of at least one other person in Memphis who has it.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My wardrobe of 10 is in my signature below. If you are a collector, then this sort of minimalism is not needed. It works for me and I seem to have a peace with myself when my collection stays around 10. It is a personal thing only. It is not a reflection on those that have large wardrobes. I think that is cool too and envy you at times. We all do what makes us feel in balance. I got down to 5, but it felt just a little too spare even for me.

Terre d'Hermes
    Red Vetyver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    CDG Vettiveru

are all in my collection forever and non-negotiable. The other 6 are great for me now, but not ultimately exempt from examination for future drobe changes.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 23rd June 2009 at 04:10 PM.

A wardrobe of 10, for right now, summertime with the heat . . . and why these?

1. Concentree d' Orange Verte, - a fresh "wake me up" fragrance that cleanses.

2. Encens et Lavande - I've got to have the healing power of green lavender in my life.

3. Turtle Vetiver - a green underground vetiver is necessary to keep my feet in the earth.

4. Patchouly Indonesiano - camphorous minty patchouli for the mystery of it.

5. Baume du Doge - nothing lifts you up with happiness like the orange incense spice notes of this one.

6. Rose 31 - my sexy rose scent choice.

7. Ambre Fetiche - Nothing comforts and warms you like amber and this one has incense + patchouli finish too. Great in heat or cold.

8. Avignon - to fill in the lower base register of the spectrum. hmmm.

9. Archipelago - this magical mysterious oud, (or Sheik's Borneo, or Borneo 4000) are absolute must haves for the enchantment of the earth through Indonesian oud.

10. Muscs Kublai Khan - warm and comforting.

Like many here I realized after making this list I could just as easily make a second and third top ten list. But, they would probably still be in these same basic types of scents. Ten categories that I seem to seek out for great fragrances: Fresh, Lavender, Earthy Vetiver, Patchouli, Spice Woods, Rose, Amber, Incense, Oud, and Leather/Tobacco masculine.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 25th June 2009 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apicius View Post
    6. Touaregh by Il Profumo ----------spicy and peppery rose without oud
    You're the first one I see mentioning Touaregh on here! Undeservedly below-the-radar, I feel.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I think that my wardrobe has become a little bit fat so I always think about which would be the scents that I would get rid off and which would be the ones I keep.

Now, ten? Well, let's make an effort and let's get a reason as to the choices...

1 Guerlain Vetiver
    2 Guerlain Habit Rouge
    3 Aramis

The second one one would replace Shalimar and the last one, Cabochard. They all represent the 1960's, first ones French in style, the last one, American.

4 Davidoff's Zino
    5 Chanel Antaeus

These last two are good representations of 1980's style in fragrance making.

6 Chanel Pour Monsieur

A classic from the 1950's.

7 Hermes Equipage
    8 Givenchy Gentleman
    9 YSL pour Homme

One gentlemanly and two not so uptight versions of perfumes dating from the 1970's. YSL could replace Dior's Eau Sauvage and Monsieur de Givenchy.

10 Rochas Moustache or Dunhill for Men or Caron's Pour Un Homme

Old ones, dating from the 1930's / 1940's. The first two are either difficult to find or discontinued, so they would be replaced by the last one.

This omits beloved drugstore scents, like Old Spice, Skin Bracer and Agua de Lavanda Puig, as well as VC&A pour Homme, which I came to realize that I like a lot.

BTW, thanks I can't have access to niche scents. Ths would prove a nightmare.

Since I don't even have 10 scents (I force myself to sell the ones I don't like anymore) lol I will say the ones I have/wish I had. No particular order:

Terre d'Hermes
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Bvlgari PH Extreme
    Jaipur Homme EDP
    Chanel Allure
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Michael Kors for Men
    Serge Lutens - Serge Noire
    Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    Creed Millisime Imperial

It is lacking in the aqua/fresh category, I just blinded a Leau par Kenzo, maybe that might make the list.

1. My bed scenst: YSL's M7 or Prada Amber pour homme.
    2. My casual scent: Prada Infusion d'Homme or Guerlain Herbal Fresca.
    3. My Club scents: CdG Parfum or Montale Black Oud or Amen.
    4. My evening wear scents: Serge Lutens Borneo or Tom Ford Oud Wood or Givenchy Gentleman.
    5. My romantique scents: CnC scent intense or Nar for him

That's my 10 at the moment
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 24th June 2009 at 05:02 AM.

My updated ideal drobe of 10, in no particular order

1. Fleur du Male - ultimate comfort scent that works well in all but the warmest temperatures. Simultaneously sexy and snuggly.

2) Amouage Silver - my ultimate go to, everyday frag. Full of perfectly married contrasts. Has some note or chemical that really tickles my nose, and elevates my spirits.

3) Amouage Lyric Man - my favorite rose. Smooth, sexy and versatile.

4) L'Anarchiste - cinnamon, woods, musk. Manly. Autumn staple. Also for same reasons as initially listed.

5) Colonia Intensa - gentlemanly, elegant and versatile. A great year rounder. Also has the same 'nose tickling' quality that Amouage Silver does.. it's almost euphoric.

6) Narciso Rodriguez PH - debated going with Micallef's white sea instead but this is deeper, earthier and richer. White Sea is probably more versatile and easily wearable but there are times I really want this earthy dirty musky experience and NR is perfect.

7) Rien - sexy, powerful, dry, dirty, smooth and animalic leather and incense. Something to wear to concerts or whenever general 'bad-assness' is needed.

8) Bois de Turquie - my other autumnal scent. Still love it for all the reasons in my original post.

9) M7 - such a sexy and wonderful woody scent. Just wish I could find something like this that was a bit less synthetic. I think I need to check out Amouage Epic Man!

10) Prada Amber - a great heavier, soapy clean scent. Very nice in winter - another great cozy/snuggly scent, too.

I still feel like I am missing some key things and I'm not 100% in love with all aspects of M7 (too synthetic), Rien (behaves weirdly sometimes, getting too dry/harsh), Fleur Du Male (too longlasting), Colonia Intensa (gets a tad bit grating by time it wears off 12+ hours after application), NR PH (a tad bit too synthetic).

I removed Lys Mediterranee from my list as I found it to be too long lasting, too synthetic in the drydown, and I just didn't feel that comfortable wearing it. I removed Versace PH as while I really do like it, I don't think I'd wear it nearly as much as an everyday scent now that I've found Amouage Silver. I filled that slot with Colonia Intensa which is warmer, more elegant, spicier, and yet really just as versatile and wearable as VPH.

Erolfa is good but completely underwhelming in the winter, hence its exclusion for more versatile frags.

Un Parfum des Sens et Bois gets a bit synthetic in the drydown and can turn strangely urinous on me in the heat.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

My "Billboard" Top 10 this week :P :

1. Serge Lutens Chergui: Beautiful. Like a sweet kiss on my body.

2. Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental: Classic, luxurious, and so masculin.

3. YSL La nuit de L'Homme: Fresh oriental scent. Very interesting.

4. Thierry Mugler Pure Malt: addicted whisky.

5. Knize 10: classic, complex, and so damn sexy.

6. Tea for Two: cozy, refined, natural... A beautiful tea.

7. CdG 8 88: a wonderful incense perfume. Dry and hot at the same time.

8. Serge Lutens MKK: one of the best musc scents.

9. Montale Black Oud: a beautiful dark rose for a man.

10. Guerlain Herbal Fresca: Simple one of the best fresh scents for summer. Beautiful and pure, like an early morning in the forest.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Though i strongly believe this is subject to change quite soon...
    My updated essential 10 (hopefully this list will be unchanged for a longer period)

1. Segre Lutens Cedre (Haute Concentration) - tuberose! what else, cedar??

2. Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan - Amber; tied with Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche - also another lovely amber scent

3. Serge Lutens Gris Clair - Lavender

4. L'Artisan Vanilla - Vanilla

5. Annick Goutal Musc Nomade - smooth musk (not as animalic as other well-known beasts)

6. Creed Erolfa - marine scent

7. Narciso Rodriguez for Him - moist green scent

8. Creed Love In White - floral scent

9. Yohji Homme - gourmand

10. Segre Lutens Santal Blanc - floral sandalwood? tied with Serge Lutens Chypre Rouge (Haute Concentration) - sweet (honeyed?) pine scent

*2nd half of the year usually means cooler weather (monsoon season), in fact it rained the past 2 days! So I am using my citrus and aquatics scents a little less, but I would eventually have to alter my 10 to slot in the freshies when the weather HEATS up again*
    Last edited by MFJ; 27th August 2009 at 04:50 AM.

In no particular order

1. Musc Ravageur : Sex in a bottle.
    2. L'air du desert marocain: Dunno, just really love it.
    3. Domenico Caraceni: So smooth and clean.
    4. Parfum d'Habit: Autumn in a bottle
    5. Creed MI: melon madness
    6. Kouros: Chest hair-growth juice
    7. Magnetism: Clubbing, lucky scent. (yes i mean it, lucky)
    8. Rive Gauche: barbershop for casual encounters.
    9. Gucci Envy: Clubbing, date.
    10. Montale Black Aoud: when i feel rich , and feel like spreading the sillage.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"