Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are you drawn towards Vintage scents...

...it all started with the purchase of Ungaro II & Aramis Havana Reserva. i brought these two scents paying premium price and with lot of hesitation. I didnt want it to be a hype related purchase but, then theres always a reason behind popularity of such scents on Basenotes. Ungaro II and Havana Reserva; both are one of the best representation of perfume as art with no boundaries. These perfumes werent out there to please the masses. it was out there for people who had come a certain distance with scents and had acquired/developed a certain taste for perfumes. Then, Leonard Pour Homme happened...it further cemented my faith the quality of scents released in that era...a gritty, patchouli based scent with leathery overtones and a dry, intense, golden hued mossy feel to it with not a hint of sweetness. This one has really complex developments thruout and settles into a very smooth, almost vanillic/tonka sweet, sandalwood and amber base...need liberal sprays of this one, but it assures the wearer of an experience to long for.

I was totally hooked on to vintages by now...but had no access to buy these...there were/are some sellers, but their prices were exorbitant with few choices...thats when we all witnessed a thread by our own member - "Xmen". His sale thread came in at a time when i was desparate for vintage/discontinued gems of past. For those who have interacted with Xmen aka Henry would know what a thorough gentleman and a kind hearted fellow he is. with the help of Henry, i soon was able to get hold of Gucci Nobile, Lancome Sagamore, Maxims Ph at affordable rates... other scents like Balenciaga Pour homme, Ho Hang Club, R de Capucci, Capucci Punjab, Bogart Furyo are in transit + many more from his sale thread on my wish list.

Point is, there is no looking back now....im not suggesting i dont like my TDC's or Lutens or Tauer anymore (i feel these are classics anyways, it has that feel to it ) , but im content with the scents i have now and would rather focus on scents from 70' or 80's or even before.....

how many of you feel the same way about scents of that era..especially 70's & 80's...do you feel there is a certain accord, a certain type of feel, depth & smoothness to scents of that era which is kinda rare to find today, except for few houses maybe (like Serge Lutens & Tauer) ?
    Last edited by jenson; 23rd June 2009 at 04:29 AM.

Default Re: Are you drawn towards Vintage scents...

Absolutely drawn to vintage scents. In fact, most of the frags I have are retro. I think that the era of the '60s-'70s had a lot more individuality and freedom, and this was reflected in the frags of the time. Let me give you an example: Monsieur Rochas. Now, its still being produced, mind you. I originally got the current scent (pink color). I then got the original scent (gold color). They smell similar initially. But in the drydown, the current scent goes for a "happy ending"- - - thats the only way I can describe it - - - a candy-like scent. Ther older scent's drydown is sober and mature. The new scent is an infantilization of a perfectly good original "adult" formula. I think Rochas was looking for a "feel good" scent when they were reformulating, to fit in with the current trend of non-offending scents.
    Last edited by sniffman; 22nd June 2009 at 10:28 PM.

Yes to vintage scents... However, I'm more interested in the 80's & 90's....

Not really, but then again I don't have the money for them either. It seems pretty tedious trying to sample vintage stuff, everything would be blind buys. I kinda like the feeling that if I run out of something I can get it with relative ease.

Absolutely... in fact I think there comes a point in the lifespan of ones' collecting at which vintage is the direction to go in. Quite frankly, vintages are generally better then what's available today. It's probably the lack of restrictions on ingredients, but the depth of vintage scents and quality of accords is so different then modern perfumes that it's taken me months to understand what I'm smelling. I'm smelling notes derived from ingredients that just aren't used anymore. My favorite are pre-80s feminines, which I find have the greatest diversity of styles and best quality. Often these scents are more masculine then current masculines, especially aquatics. Lanvin, Dior, Worth, Chanel, Guerlain, Houbigant, etc. are on my radar.

As I see just on this thread, there is a misperception that vintage bottles are per se expensive and sampling inaccessible. This is not so. It may take patience, but many bottles can be found on ebay very reasonably - especially if you don't care about the quality of the physical bottle. Yes, there is a risk in that you may get juice that's turned or degraded, but with no risk comes no reward. For every dud I've bought on ebay I've bought 5-6 good bottles. As for samples, TPC is remarkably stocked. These samples tend to be expensive due to the nature of the limited supply, but really all one needs is .5ml to determine if it's worth pursuing a bottle. Also, there seem to quite a few BN members with vintages and I've started to get into the swing of trading samples. I'm certainly happy to work on vintage sample swaps.

Many years before getting into BN I had the chance of realizing that something was happening with male fragrances: variety and options of newly released scents seemed to revolve around certain concepts. Just to be more specific, I will give an example: I remember when bergamott made its triumphal masive entry back in the early nineties thanks to Eternity. Years passed and I realized that calone was the next big hit. Then came gourmand notes.

The point was, I could not find many differences among many launches. Besides, I could not help noticing that these notes had some sort of physicial impact on my nosetrils, a burning / itching sensation on them and, sometimes, sneeziness.

BaseNotes made the rest, for it showed me that I was not misjudging. Vintage scents show a variety of compositions that are hard to find nowadays. So, if you look at my wardrobe, you will realize that I am into vintage scents, be them designer or massive brands.

I reserve a place for contemporary scents as long as they play with traditional concepts. So, yes, Jenson, you are right... and I envy that Leonard!
    Last edited by Pollux; 23rd June 2009 at 03:00 AM.

AromiErotici

I love them for the quality of their ingredients and their strength. Scents were eclectic back then and I love that also.

Most of mine are vintage, but not all. The more current ones I own however are of the stronger variety. Classic frags have ruined me in that regard. The vintage frags make the current ones smell chemically and synthetic to me, which is a bummer.

Hillaire

I am totally into the seventies.

Yes yes yes...

I dig them all the time...the harder they are to find, the harder I try to obtain them....there is surely some magic in them....I think a part of it comes from the fact that they are discontinued and hard to find and that adds an element of 'desirability' to them...However that does not mean that they don't have any substance inherently...I mean what else does smell like Furyo, Balenciaga pour homme, Cuiron, Patou pour homme & the list goes on........

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Yes yes yes...

I dig them all the time...the harder they are to find, the harder I try to obtain them....there is surely some magic in them....I think a part of it comes from the fact that they are discontinued and hard to find and that adds an element of 'desirability' to them...However that does not mean that they don't have any substance inherently...I mean what else does smell like Furyo, Balenciaga pour homme, Cuiron, Patou pour homme & the list goes on........
    Nothing smells like them bro. The ingredients are no longer "cost-effective" and some are presently illegal. I am like you as you know. Half the fun is in the quest.

Banned

Yes I'm drawn to them, but I don't enjoy the effort required to own them.
    Last edited by teger; 23rd June 2009 at 04:05 AM.

Thanks for the overwhelming response guys! So, it's a resounding Yes! i concur with each one of your views + got to learn more in this aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    As I see just on this thread, there is a misperception that vintage bottles are per se expensive and sampling inaccessible. This is not so.
    Shermanirving: you are right, i keep on hearing our members scoring super deals on Ebay. Unfortunately, im not familiar with Ebay + i dont feel comfortable dealing with someone im totally unfmiliar with (probabaly i need some guidance?)...hence i am totally dependent on BN sale board.

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Yes I'm drawn to them, but I don't enjoy the effort required to own them.
    Well said. i wish there were 20 more Xmen like sale threads

Vintage is my middle name.

My fragrances, on average, were introduced twenty-nine years ago.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 23rd June 2009 at 04:49 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

No.

I`m into vintages.
    My vintage began from Sagamore Lancome (though I traded it) and Derby Guerlain (now I have 3 bottles of it). Then - Guerlain, Worth, Patou, Piguet, etc., exploring chypres, fougeres, citruses...
    I found that feminine vintages are more masculine than contemporary masculines - now it seems so evident!

For me the most precious bottles are:
    Fougere Royale Houbigant parfum from 50-60s
    Ambre et Cuir de Sauze EDC from the same era
    1000 Jean Patou parfum from 70`s
    Eau de Guerlain - very first edition from 1974 (Granai bottle 200 ml)
    Miss Dior parfum - 70`s
    Eau de Vetyver Givenchy - old pressurized bottle
    OK, Djedi too - but it`s from 90`s, so it`s just rare thing.
    Cravache by Piguet - 60`s
    Nombre Noire Shiseido
    Je Reviens Worth - 70-80

I do not want to make blind buys, so I buy EDC or EDT before the perfume.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Not per sé. Whenever possible I buy vintage versions of frags I love, but I don't hold frags that were created 30-80 years ago in higher regard than fragrances that have been released recently.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I'm a new collector, and I like the idea of wearing something that few others can - hence, discontinued frags. I've picked up Gucci Nobile, Liquid Karl, Ungaro II, Nine Flags Germany and some others and imagine I'll continue. I just bristle at the thought of spending money on Aqua di Gio or something like it that you can find on the dressers of half the men in the universe. I'd like to learn more about fragrance trends over the years and perhaps focus on one era. I love American expatriate literature. I wonder what Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Pound and the rest wore in Paris?

No not me, I´m not drawn to or looking for vintage scents at all.I´m 40 years old.
    I´ve worn most of the 90´s scents at the time they were released, and that was a good period for scents. Most 70´s, 80´s scent I find hideous and loud and I wouln´t want to wear them now.(I like music from the 80´s though)
    That and the shelf life of a perfume is about 2 to 5 years. I you buy a perfume from 20,30 years old, there´s a big chance it´s off or it doesn´t smell the way it was supposed to smell when it was released. (It may not smell off, but believe me , it is). I do think it´s great some classics from those periods are still made today.
    I know it may " depend on how it´s stored, bla,bla,bla,... " and I know lot´s of people on here will dissagree (and I would too if I was a vintage collector), but I like my fragrances to be fresh..That´s just the way I think about it "vintage". To each his own.
    Last edited by eric; 23rd June 2009 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks for sharing your views Eric

My observation to your remark of Vintages being turned is only this...even if they are, my Ungaro I which is in a splash format..still feels a lot better than a latest niche purchase i have..dont wanna name names...so does a Patou Ph smell a lot better than PDN NY or other scents in similar genre....in other words, my view point is based on how these scents smell today and how it compares to other scents i have in my wardrobe....another eg. would be Balenciaga Ph. i mean, it still smells so fabulous!
    but then, every one here has shared a very valid view point on as to why they either like or dislike scents that represent a certain era..

Moon Fish: You have such an enviable Collection...whats your source..?

Two Roads: I know, you have excellent taste for vintage scents i religiously follow your top 5 leather scents list...would love to get hold of them some day...i believe Cuiron is just the begining for me.....Elsha, im looking at you

Im drawn to 20's-60's vintage scents more than 70's-90's scents.

I am not a collector of fragrances. I seek out fragrances that reflect my personality and will give others that smell my fragrance on me, a sense of what I am about; a passing olfactory glimpse of me. Although I respect vintage fragrances for their place in history, they reflect their period in history, just as today's modern fragrances do. The majority of vintage fragrances smell dated IMO. They are nostalgic and take me back to that place in time, but they are not relevant in how I want to be perceived by others on a daily basis.

I love to smell vintage fragrances for reference and to help me in this hobby, but I won't wear them as a SOTD.

well said JWS.

in my case, i dont see myself as a collector. I, as always, seek out for scents which are highly revered on BN...be it a Parfumerie Generale or a Lutens or a Tauer or a Different Company or a Profumum or Leonard or Balenciaga or Givench.. and in the process weed out the scents which doesnt suit me. i have sold of Chergui, Thundra and many others that are popular but, don't work on me or like you said, doesnt suit a particular individual....but thats true with every scent one picks...be it Vintage or newer scents.

Dated? yes, thats a valid argument. Derby may smell dated to some...but then theres Maxims Ph and i think it's timeless. same with Sagamore and maybe many more that im not aware of..

This thread is just to highlight a particular feel of scents which is kinda missing today, (except for few houses such as Guerlain, Chanel, Lutens & Tauer i dont see many houses feeding the appetite of someone who appreciates Vintages just as much as their favorite TDC )

Sur la Plage

Yes and no.

I wear and enjoy a lot of vintage fragrances. But I also like many modern fragrances. I could never be locked into one type/genre of fragrances. A guy has got to have options!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Nice pic !! have 3 & mini's of two others .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Yes and no.

I wear and enjoy a lot of vintage fragrances. But I also like many modern fragrances. I could never be locked into one type/genre of fragrances. A guy has got to have options!
    Agreed !

Dimitrios: Thanks !
    Last edited by jenson; 23rd June 2009 at 12:38 PM.

Just to clarify:

I said the majority of vintage scents smell dated IMO, not all. Again, my perception only.

I find some fragrances that are long in the tooth, timeless and have no problem wearing them. My SOTD is Givenchy Vetyver. The 70's and 80's frags are particulary hard for me to wear and I am not sure why.
    Also, the climate I live in is particularly limiting to me on the type of frags I wear. I live in a warm, humid climate and have a hard time justifying owning frags that are heavy, leather based, orientals, or just plain overbearing in warm temps. Lastly, I have a fear of others perceiving me as being 'stuck in a time warp', or 'dated' if they smell some vintage frags on me regularly.
    It is sort of like some guys that grew up in the 70's and 80's; they still have the semi-big hair butt cut, listen to vintage rock, and still think a Chevy Camaro is the shit. All of this was relevant in the day, but now, it seems really silly to most and out of place in 2009.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 23rd June 2009 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Just to clarify:

I said the majority of vintage scents smell dated IMO, not all. Again, my perception only.

I find some fragrances that are longth in the tooth, timeless and have no problem wearing them. My SOTD is Givenchy Vetyver. The 70's and 80's frags are particulary hard for me to wear and I am not sure why.
    Also, the climate I live in is particularly limiting to me on the type of frags I wear. I live in a warm, humid climate and have a hard time justifying owning frags that are heavy, leather based, orientals, or just plain overbearing in warm temps. Lastly, I have a fear of others perceiving me as being 'stuck in a time warp', or 'dated' if they smell some vintage frags on me regularly.
    It is sort of like some guys that grew up in the 70's and 80's; they still have the semi-big hair butt cut, listen to vintage rock, and still think a Chevy Camaro is the shit. All of this was relevant in the day, but now, it seems really silly to most and out of place in 2009.
    Agreed, word by word. there are indeed lot of factors that come into picture and cannot be the same for all, especially weather. Thanks for the insight JWS, always a pleasure
    Last edited by jenson; 23rd June 2009 at 01:26 PM.

With respect to JWS' notion of vintages smelling dated: First, its all in the nose of the beholder (obviously), and while the accords and materials used in vintages are unlike those of today, that's exactly why they are so interesting. Next, whether the potentially 'dated' feel of some vintages is relevant depends on the root of what each individual's motivation is for liking fragrances. Your primary concern may begin and end at how others perceive that you smell. Alternatively, you may (like me) have a passion for fragrance-as-art and thus vintage exploration is important to understanding your knowledge of the art form. Neither motivation is wrong - they're just different.

I would absolutely encourage anyone with a curiousity about vintage to sample with an open mind and without necessarily comparing to today's scents. Perfumers had different materials, budgetary concerns, and marketing directives in the past. Their creations didn't always have to be safe and appeal to a global public. What smells 'dated' the first time you experience it begins to smell more and more rich with subsequent samplings. Its an unfortunate comment on modern perfumes that strong, bold accords and quality materials are 'dated', and I'm not just talking about the powerhouses of the 70s-80s but pre-70s and much earlier works as well. Yes, I'm a collector, but I don't buy anythiing I don't like for the sake of collecting. I don't own anything I wouldn't wear, and having vintages gives me a lot of unique options.

Jenson: I can appreciate how difficult it is to ebay (especially for non-US residents) and take that leap of faith with purchasing. However for better or worse that's where most of the vintage action is. There are a few sites that sell vintage bottles but they are often very expensive. I'd suggest branching out to pre 70s feminines. Many Houbigants can be found for good prices and they are good for getting to know vintage accords.

Blog Entries

Good picks, Jenson! I know quite a few vintage/discontinued might cost an arm and a leg in this part of the world, and we need to thank Xmen for giving us an opportunity to acquire some true gems at affordable prices.

The prices of vintage are exuberant only for the ones that are highly touted in discussion boards and such. A lot of earlier Lanvin and Houbigant could even be had for cheaper than run of the mill designer scents; and they are equally as good as your Guerlains and Patous.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    and we need to thank Xmen for giving us an opportunity to acquire some true gems at affordable prices.
    you could say that again and.. again... :wave:

A lot of earlier Lanvin and Houbigant could even be had for cheaper than run of the mill designer scents; and they are equally as good as your Guerlains and Patous.
    more than one mentioned Houbigant now...sounds pretty interesting...could you please throw around some names/releases by Lanvin and Houbigant that one should keep an eye out for...?
    Last edited by jenson; 23rd June 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Lanvin My Sin,
    Lanvin Eau de Vetyver,
    Houbigant Raffinee,
    Houbigant Quelques Fleurs
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    you could say that again and.. again... :wave:

more than one mentioned Houbigant now...sounds pretty interesting...could you please throw around some names/releases by Lanvin and Houbigant that one should keep an eye out for...?
    Lanvin: PreTexte, My Sin, Scandal, Arpege, Rumeur (not modern versions, which are different)
    Houbigant: Quelques Fleurs and others in the series, Essence Rare, La Belle Saison....

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Are you drawn towards Vintage scents...

The quality of the ingrediants in vintage are amazing. Yes, I am into vintage and I, myself, am somewhat vintage.

Yes, I'll start out very modestly, by seeking vintage Tabarome and then continue my quest for further vintage, but also rare and discontinued scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Yes, I'll start out very modestly, by seeking vintage Tabarome and then continue my quest for further vintage, but also rare and discontinued scents.
    If you are seeking vintage Taborome, prepare for a most pleasant experience. A consumate, sober, and beautiful frag. Class to the nth degree.

Thumbs up Re: Are you drawn towards Vintage scents...

A Big Fat Yes!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure, actually. What with my reaction to Guerlain classics (summed up politely with "not for me") I doubt I would find any vintages to my liking. They seem to have in common a certain density and weight that is not at all pleasant to my nose. I like clarity and transparency, those much-maligned "lightweights" of the 90s and beyond. OTOH, as I keep educating myself further and challenging my preconceptions about what is wearable, why should I exclude such a huge portion of fragrances without further examination? I'll likely research it further at some point and maybe learn to appreciate it as an acquired taste, but I doubt vintages would ever become daily fare for me.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Yes and no.

That's how I am too

I would say I enjoy classic scents more than vintage. I am more of a fan of the traditionally masculine fragrances that are still available today, but I don't spend much time on ebay tracking down old bottles of them.

Lanvin My Sin,
    Lanvin Eau de Vetyver,
    Houbigant Raffinee,
    Houbigant Quelques Fleurs
    Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    Lanvin: PreTexte, My Sin, Scandal, Arpege, Rumeur (not modern versions, which are different)
    Houbigant: Quelques Fleurs and others in the series, Essence Rare, La Belle Saison....
    Thnx Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    ohh tht one is eluding me forever...leave alone ownin it, i need to get hold of a sample first..

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I'm not sure, actually. What with my reaction to Guerlain classics (summed up politely with "not for me") I doubt I would find any vintages to my liking. They seem to have in common a certain density and weight that is not at all pleasant to my nose. I like clarity and transparency, those much-maligned "lightweights" of the 90s and beyond. OTOH, as I keep educating myself further and challenging my preconceptions about what is wearable, why should I exclude such a huge portion of fragrances without further examination? I'll likely research it further at some point and maybe learn to appreciate it as an acquired taste, but I doubt vintages would ever become daily fare for me.
    it;s a very valid view point veuve amiot...others too expressed this very concern. the question is not really whether it smells dated, bad, or good...the question is whether one feels that the quality of these classics are much better than whats been offered today...a simple eg. people often mention how the Classic YSL Opium smelled much, much better than the version available today...

To clarify, by no means do I only wear or collect vintage, not even close. It's simply one of many directions my interests are focused on. I love modern fragrances, and houses like ELDO, Malle, and Ava Luxe are among my favorites. Where the quality of vintage becomes obvious is when you take a fragrance that's been in production for many years - say Hermes Equipage or Bel Ami - and compare early versions to today's versions. Not all scents are like this but many are. I will therefore tend to seek out old bottles of still-made scents when possible.

As for degradation: I've seen people make a very big deal of this, and all I can say is that I've only had two out of dozens of bottles show signs of degradation. I have bottles that are 75+ years old that smell totally fine. One can learn a lot by looking at the color, amount of air, storage, etc. that will indicate the quality of the fragrance.

All of my perfumes are vintage -- it's all I wear. When the wardrobe function is back up and working I'll fill in my collection, but my favorites are L'Interdit (Givenchy), Joy (Patou), Shalimar, Mitsuoko (Guerlain), Chanel 5 & 22. I also have a little bit of Coco that I wear on occasion but it's not really one of my favorites.

I like the old scents because they are softer and often more complex. Newer perfumes smell 'chemical-y' to me, and are almost always too strong. The exceptions I've found are usually hippie-type perfume oils, one of which I like a lot, called Zum Frankincense & Myrrh.

After skimmin your blog last week, I almost caught a sickness.
    It's an addiction to dope looking old bottles.
    the flics of Balenciaga/Sagamore/Furyo on marble were cool.
    Have you checked out the Aubusson Futuros bottle?
    Baldinini LOL ?

This surely sounds jaded, but to me there's not much else to be interested in anymore since market forces and IFRA are working hand in hand successfully to castrate the art of perfumery.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    This surely sounds jaded, but to me there's not much else to be interested in anymore since market forces and IFRA are working hand in hand successfully to castrate the art of perfumery.
    People are dying of hunger and IFRA is more concerned about a few skin allergies... But rapid depletion of certain endangered species would be a factor (the alarming rate at which they're harvesting mysore sandalwood for e.g. ... ). All the more reason we should go with vintage - the stuff's already been made, it's time to find them good homes among the fine folks here in BN. I started with Azarro, Monsieur Balmain, then Shalimar, Gucci pH (original), Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur, Cuir de Russie and recently Mitsouko and No.19. Now I'm itching to try Ungaro II and III.. It's starting to feel like an addiction. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Just to clarify:

I find some fragrances that are long in the tooth, timeless and have no problem wearing them. My SOTD is Givenchy Vetyver. The 70's and 80's frags are particulary hard for me to wear and I am not sure why.
    +1. While smelling dated is a huge turn off to myself (and presumably those around me), it's hard to compete with a timeless vintage scent like Givenchy Vetyver. I generally stick to current stuff for the reasons you listed + availability.

Yes, and no. I'll explain. To me Vintage fragrances don't espically have to be from any certain era. Case in point I prefer The newer version of Santal Noble over that of the original.So for me It's more of how the re-formulation of a fragrance meets my needs,and or wants rather than me seeking out a vintage fragrance just for the sake of it being a vintage formula vs.that of a newer version of the fragrance. Numerous other fragrance could also be mentioned, but I think you get my point.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

This might be a strange answer.....I am at times.....There are times when I desire something that's Vintage.....and there are times when I want to wear something modern yet classy.....I would never own Vintage only, nor would I own modern scents only.....The key word is balance for me.....I have both and like it that way.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Not jaded at all. Prescient and wise is more like it. I am convinced that once the US adopts the same ridiculous standards of the IFRA, almost every fragrance we know and love will slowly disappear as each is morphed into reformulated shadows of their original glory and power.

For this reason - and because I love most every fragrance (I have catholic tastes in scents) but especially the old classics - I've, for the last decade, been slowly but deliberately assembling my own "Noah's Ark" of vintage classics with an emphasis on those already out of production.
    Griff

Blog Entries

Noah's Ark of Fragrance - That's priceless! and a great idea. I guess that is my philosophy, too. I never really thought of it quite like that, but you've put it so perfectly, Griff!

Put me in for vintage. I will always get a bottle of any of my faves in vintage version any chance or oppurtunity I get. Of course considering if it's not very expensive

I love the idea of vintage. But quite often the top notes are so damaged that 25% of the experience is compromised.

Blog Entries

Ruggles; That is especially true of Citrus prominent fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I love the idea of vintage. But quite often the top notes are so damaged that 25% of the experience is compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    I would say I enjoy classic scents more than vintage. I am more of a fan of the traditionally masculine fragrances that are still available today, but I don't spend much time on ebay tracking down old bottles of them.
    That is also my approach with the caveat that I do not blindly buy fragrances that some call classics. I am not interested in spending a substantial amount of time and money on a vintage consumable when there are so many excellent fragrances still in production.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Noah's Ark of Fragrance - That's priceless! and a great idea. I guess that is my philosophy, too. I never really thought of it quite like that, but you've put it so perfectly, Griff!
    Thanks Kumquat. Perhaps we should compare manifests some time!
    Griff

Hey jenson, realised your Gucci Nobile bottle cap looks slightly different from the more common grey cap offerings, is this version that you have an earlier release?

In answer to the original question, yes I am. I am always on the look out for them. It may just be the collector in me, but I have bought many discontinued fragrances which I enjoy greatly. By Man by D&G, Aramis Havana (yes I know that has been reissued), KL by Karl Lagerfeld, Gucci Nobile, Helmut Lang EDC (a masterpiece) and so on and so forth.

I am always on the lookout for old stuff, often bought blind, but that's part of the fun is it not?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Absolutely! I always prefer the vintage (= original rendition) to the reformulated versions of a scent.
    Last edited by easyfish; 30th October 2011 at 08:51 AM.

Yes, I am mostly now drawn to Vintage. I still try a lot of modern fragrances-I'm not going to close my mind to anything but the quality of the vintage fragrances really does attract me. Monsieur Carven, for example, has astounded me. I use this sparingly as it's hard to find and the quality and construction of this towers over any modern scent I've tried. So, for me, it's a great hobby of mine to search them out, learn about them and appreciate them but there is a time and place for each of my fragrances. I don't wear my vintage all the time- I use them for special occasions and in that way I appreciate them even more. I have modern fragrances that I enjoy and use daily in my rotation but, for me, I am drawn to and love the vintage fragrances.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely.

While I also like modern fragrances, it is so much more rewarding and exciting to discover a discontinued and hard to find fragrance on the forgotten shelves of an old perfume shop and get it for $30 than to go into a new shop and pay $200+ for some recent creation.