Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Are you drawn towards Vintage scents...

Lanvin My Sin,
    Lanvin Eau de Vetyver,
    Houbigant Raffinee,
    Houbigant Quelques Fleurs
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    you could say that again and.. again... :wave:

more than one mentioned Houbigant now...sounds pretty interesting...could you please throw around some names/releases by Lanvin and Houbigant that one should keep an eye out for...?
    Lanvin: PreTexte, My Sin, Scandal, Arpege, Rumeur (not modern versions, which are different)
    Houbigant: Quelques Fleurs and others in the series, Essence Rare, La Belle Saison....

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Are you drawn towards Vintage scents...

The quality of the ingrediants in vintage are amazing. Yes, I am into vintage and I, myself, am somewhat vintage.

Yes, I'll start out very modestly, by seeking vintage Tabarome and then continue my quest for further vintage, but also rare and discontinued scents.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Yes, I'll start out very modestly, by seeking vintage Tabarome and then continue my quest for further vintage, but also rare and discontinued scents.
    If you are seeking vintage Taborome, prepare for a most pleasant experience. A consumate, sober, and beautiful frag. Class to the nth degree.

Thumbs up Re: Are you drawn towards Vintage scents...

A Big Fat Yes!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure, actually. What with my reaction to Guerlain classics (summed up politely with "not for me") I doubt I would find any vintages to my liking. They seem to have in common a certain density and weight that is not at all pleasant to my nose. I like clarity and transparency, those much-maligned "lightweights" of the 90s and beyond. OTOH, as I keep educating myself further and challenging my preconceptions about what is wearable, why should I exclude such a huge portion of fragrances without further examination? I'll likely research it further at some point and maybe learn to appreciate it as an acquired taste, but I doubt vintages would ever become daily fare for me.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Yes and no.

I wear and enjoy a lot of vintage fragrances. But I also like many modern fragrances. I could never be locked into one type/genre of fragrances. A guy has got to have options!
    That's how I am too

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I would say I enjoy classic scents more than vintage. I am more of a fan of the traditionally masculine fragrances that are still available today, but I don't spend much time on ebay tracking down old bottles of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Lanvin My Sin,
    Lanvin Eau de Vetyver,
    Houbigant Raffinee,
    Houbigant Quelques Fleurs
    Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    Lanvin: PreTexte, My Sin, Scandal, Arpege, Rumeur (not modern versions, which are different)
    Houbigant: Quelques Fleurs and others in the series, Essence Rare, La Belle Saison....
    Thnx Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    ohh tht one is eluding me forever...leave alone ownin it, i need to get hold of a sample first..

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I'm not sure, actually. What with my reaction to Guerlain classics (summed up politely with "not for me") I doubt I would find any vintages to my liking. They seem to have in common a certain density and weight that is not at all pleasant to my nose. I like clarity and transparency, those much-maligned "lightweights" of the 90s and beyond. OTOH, as I keep educating myself further and challenging my preconceptions about what is wearable, why should I exclude such a huge portion of fragrances without further examination? I'll likely research it further at some point and maybe learn to appreciate it as an acquired taste, but I doubt vintages would ever become daily fare for me.
    it;s a very valid view point veuve amiot...others too expressed this very concern. the question is not really whether it smells dated, bad, or good...the question is whether one feels that the quality of these classics are much better than whats been offered today...a simple eg. people often mention how the Classic YSL Opium smelled much, much better than the version available today...

To clarify, by no means do I only wear or collect vintage, not even close. It's simply one of many directions my interests are focused on. I love modern fragrances, and houses like ELDO, Malle, and Ava Luxe are among my favorites. Where the quality of vintage becomes obvious is when you take a fragrance that's been in production for many years - say Hermes Equipage or Bel Ami - and compare early versions to today's versions. Not all scents are like this but many are. I will therefore tend to seek out old bottles of still-made scents when possible.

As for degradation: I've seen people make a very big deal of this, and all I can say is that I've only had two out of dozens of bottles show signs of degradation. I have bottles that are 75+ years old that smell totally fine. One can learn a lot by looking at the color, amount of air, storage, etc. that will indicate the quality of the fragrance.

All of my perfumes are vintage -- it's all I wear. When the wardrobe function is back up and working I'll fill in my collection, but my favorites are L'Interdit (Givenchy), Joy (Patou), Shalimar, Mitsuoko (Guerlain), Chanel 5 & 22. I also have a little bit of Coco that I wear on occasion but it's not really one of my favorites.

I like the old scents because they are softer and often more complex. Newer perfumes smell 'chemical-y' to me, and are almost always too strong. The exceptions I've found are usually hippie-type perfume oils, one of which I like a lot, called Zum Frankincense & Myrrh.

After skimmin your blog last week, I almost caught a sickness.
    It's an addiction to dope looking old bottles.
    the flics of Balenciaga/Sagamore/Furyo on marble were cool.
    Have you checked out the Aubusson Futuros bottle?
    Baldinini LOL ?
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

This surely sounds jaded, but to me there's not much else to be interested in anymore since market forces and IFRA are working hand in hand successfully to castrate the art of perfumery.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    This surely sounds jaded, but to me there's not much else to be interested in anymore since market forces and IFRA are working hand in hand successfully to castrate the art of perfumery.
    People are dying of hunger and IFRA is more concerned about a few skin allergies... But rapid depletion of certain endangered species would be a factor (the alarming rate at which they're harvesting mysore sandalwood for e.g. ... ). All the more reason we should go with vintage - the stuff's already been made, it's time to find them good homes among the fine folks here in BN. I started with Azarro, Monsieur Balmain, then Shalimar, Gucci pH (original), Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur, Cuir de Russie and recently Mitsouko and No.19. Now I'm itching to try Ungaro II and III.. It's starting to feel like an addiction. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Just to clarify:

I said the majority of vintage scents smell dated IMO, not all. Again, my perception only.

I find some fragrances that are long in the tooth, timeless and have no problem wearing them. My SOTD is Givenchy Vetyver. The 70's and 80's frags are particulary hard for me to wear and I am not sure why.
    Also, the climate I live in is particularly limiting to me on the type of frags I wear. I live in a warm, humid climate and have a hard time justifying owning frags that are heavy, leather based, orientals, or just plain overbearing in warm temps. Lastly, I have a fear of others perceiving me as being 'stuck in a time warp', or 'dated' if they smell some vintage frags on me regularly.
    It is sort of like some guys that grew up in the 70's and 80's; they still have the semi-big hair butt cut, listen to vintage rock, and still think a Chevy Camaro is the shit. All of this was relevant in the day, but now, it seems really silly to most and out of place in 2009.
    +1. While smelling dated is a huge turn off to myself (and presumably those around me), it's hard to compete with a timeless vintage scent like Givenchy Vetyver. I generally stick to current stuff for the reasons you listed + availability.

Yes, and no. I'll explain. To me Vintage fragrances don't espically have to be from any certain era. Case in point I prefer The newer version of Santal Noble over that of the original.So for me It's more of how the re-formulation of a fragrance meets my needs,and or wants rather than me seeking out a vintage fragrance just for the sake of it being a vintage formula vs.that of a newer version of the fragrance. Numerous other fragrance could also be mentioned, but I think you get my point.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

This might be a strange answer.....I am at times.....There are times when I desire something that's Vintage.....and there are times when I want to wear something modern yet classy.....I would never own Vintage only, nor would I own modern scents only.....The key word is balance for me.....I have both and like it that way.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Not jaded at all. Prescient and wise is more like it. I am convinced that once the US adopts the same ridiculous standards of the IFRA, almost every fragrance we know and love will slowly disappear as each is morphed into reformulated shadows of their original glory and power.

For this reason - and because I love most every fragrance (I have catholic tastes in scents) but especially the old classics - I've, for the last decade, been slowly but deliberately assembling my own "Noah's Ark" of vintage classics with an emphasis on those already out of production.
    Griff

Blog Entries

Noah's Ark of Fragrance - That's priceless! and a great idea. I guess that is my philosophy, too. I never really thought of it quite like that, but you've put it so perfectly, Griff!
    Currently wearing: Azurée by Estée Lauder

Put me in for vintage. I will always get a bottle of any of my faves in vintage version any chance or oppurtunity I get. Of course considering if it's not very expensive

I love the idea of vintage. But quite often the top notes are so damaged that 25% of the experience is compromised.

Blog Entries

Ruggles; That is especially true of Citrus prominent fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I love the idea of vintage. But quite often the top notes are so damaged that 25% of the experience is compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    I would say I enjoy classic scents more than vintage. I am more of a fan of the traditionally masculine fragrances that are still available today, but I don't spend much time on ebay tracking down old bottles of them.
    That is also my approach with the caveat that I do not blindly buy fragrances that some call classics. I am not interested in spending a substantial amount of time and money on a vintage consumable when there are so many excellent fragrances still in production.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Noah's Ark of Fragrance - That's priceless! and a great idea. I guess that is my philosophy, too. I never really thought of it quite like that, but you've put it so perfectly, Griff!
    Thanks Kumquat. Perhaps we should compare manifests some time!
    Griff

Hey jenson, realised your Gucci Nobile bottle cap looks slightly different from the more common grey cap offerings, is this version that you have an earlier release?

In answer to the original question, yes I am. I am always on the look out for them. It may just be the collector in me, but I have bought many discontinued fragrances which I enjoy greatly. By Man by D&G, Aramis Havana (yes I know that has been reissued), KL by Karl Lagerfeld, Gucci Nobile, Helmut Lang EDC (a masterpiece) and so on and so forth.

I am always on the lookout for old stuff, often bought blind, but that's part of the fun is it not?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Absolutely! I always prefer the vintage (= original rendition) to the reformulated versions of a scent.
    Last edited by easyfish; 30th October 2011 at 08:51 AM.

Yes, I am mostly now drawn to Vintage. I still try a lot of modern fragrances-I'm not going to close my mind to anything but the quality of the vintage fragrances really does attract me. Monsieur Carven, for example, has astounded me. I use this sparingly as it's hard to find and the quality and construction of this towers over any modern scent I've tried. So, for me, it's a great hobby of mine to search them out, learn about them and appreciate them but there is a time and place for each of my fragrances. I don't wear my vintage all the time- I use them for special occasions and in that way I appreciate them even more. I have modern fragrances that I enjoy and use daily in my rotation but, for me, I am drawn to and love the vintage fragrances.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely.

While I also like modern fragrances, it is so much more rewarding and exciting to discover a discontinued and hard to find fragrance on the forgotten shelves of an old perfume shop and get it for $30 than to go into a new shop and pay $200+ for some recent creation.