Code of Conduct

Default Should I give TDH another try?

It use to be one of my Holy Grails when it came out. Then something happened. It became tart and cloying. Yes, the citrus became too tart. Anyone else experience this? So I never replenished. I am thinking to give this another try to see if my nose can accept it once again. I would love to hear stories from both sides of the fence. Thanks!

Edit: can this be worn in the summer?
    Last edited by Scentologist; 23rd June 2009 at 04:21 AM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: Should I give TDH another try?

TDH is the most fickle scent that I own.
    Somedays I absolutely love it. However for no unexplained reason, some days when I wear it I feel it's been such a mistake. Even the longevity is really unpredictable on this one.

It surely is quite a unique scent and it deserves a thorough testing before it is completely banished from your wardrobe. It can easily be worn in summer but only if the temperature doesn't really go past the mid 30's Celsius. I find it cloying in too much heat.

It's always good to revisit as you never know how it might strike a chord again.

I think, it's independant from season or weather. Give it another try. What I think to have found out: It's not a good work scent! Stress and Terre, well, both together, that's horrible!

But putting it on for a hot summer evening/night out (mystrerious, VERY sexy), or Saturday morning for a start into the weekend (refreshing, upwaking, and again a little mysterious!) will result in a great experience
    Last edited by YourSound; 23rd June 2009 at 04:35 AM.

it's said to havea very high concentration of ISO super E, which i have noticed irritates quite a few memebers here...you may want to try it during hot summers maybe...(i think it's ideal for summers and not winters.)

Can't agree, I bought mine last December and enjoyed it a lot in the cold Atmosphere.

It behaves weirdly on me too. I've given it more chances than any other frag.. probably about 10 now. I've gotten the following results:

Wonderful tart orange, earth, minerals
    Bland and flat cedar overdose
    Overwhelming scent of aspirin
    Instant Headache
    "On the verge of a headache" - all day
    Amazing longevity
    Seemingly poor longevity
    1 spray = too much
    3 sprays = just right

I just don't know with this one. It's such a gamble and it goes bad on me far more often than I find it enjoyable, so I'm done with it (for now). While I think Red Vetyver is close, it's not as airy and that kills a lot of the mood that TdH evokes for me (when it is behaving). I've still got to try Cereus (#4, I think?) and Gianni Campagna to see if I can find a TdH-clone that behaves on me.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It behaves weirdly on me too. I've given it more chances than any other frag.. probably about 10 now. I've gotten the following results:

Wonderful tart orange, earth, minerals
    Bland and flat cedar overdose
    Overwhelming scent of aspirin
    Instant Headache
    "On the verge of a headache" - all day
    Amazing longevity
    Seemingly poor longevity
    1 spray = too much
    3 sprays = just right
    Absolutely what I should have said. Do you believe that what you've just described is exactly what I've been through with this. The headaches, verge of a headache all day, the 1 spray too much, 3 sprays just right, etc, etc,. I can't believe it. Why is this fragrance not consistent? When it behaves, its magic! When it doesn't, I can't wait to scrub off the tart, vile, cloying mess. I just can't get it. I am going to wear this soon and report back.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Possibly try Red Vetyver instead? It shares a lot of similarities, but I much prefer it to TdH and never have any of these issues..

The newer bottles seem harsher and the citrus is much more sharp and bitter. Older bottles seem to be slightly "sweeter and rounder" while still having some muted bitterness and of course the "Flint" hasn't gone anywhere.

I didn't like this scent initially, and dismissed it as someone put it: "a smoker peeling an orange" after trying a newer bottle that was very sharp and bitter.
    I got ahold of a limited edition "H" bottle from the launch in 2006, which was much more mellow, and have liked it since, especially when I layer it with Concentre D'Orange Verte.

SO if and when you give it another try, try several batches/bottles if possible.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 23rd June 2009 at 06:24 AM.

No.

Don't bother. There are too damn many other choices out there, so move on and find the Next Big Thing.

I still like it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I am hyposmic to Iso E Super, because it never seems overly strong to me, let alone "sharp" or "cloying".

In any case, it's been done to death around here. It's had its day in the sun. Time to let it go.

I can't wear it. I want to like it but can't. I wonder if it is Iso E Super? What else would have a lot of it that I might also not like?

Thats my #1 to get fragrance now lol. It grew on me definately. I just loved the over-ripe oranges + vetiver in there, has alot of character.

I have been fickle about this one too. I only like it in the summer and have yet to wear it this year.

My own feeling is to look elsewhere.

I like it, give it another go.

I haven't had any of the issues with it reported here. It always smells good, the longevity is always good (not great), the citrus is well balanced.

While it's not one of my absolute favorites, it never disappoints. I'll probably have a bottle in my collection for a long time to come.

There are several fragrances I've loved, then lost interest in, then like them again. So, sure try it again.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by alacious View Post
    Possibly try Red Vetyver instead? It shares a lot of similarities, but I much prefer it to TdH and never have any of these issues..
    Same here. I wore Red Vetyver today and enjoyed it more than TdH. More importantly, my allergies didn't flare up and it didnt feel like I spilled bug spray and gasoline on myself.

Both are great for the summer, but you should try Red Vetyver.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Same here. I wore Red Vetyver today and enjoyed it more than TdH. More importantly, my allergies didn't flare up and it didnt feel like I spilled bug spray and gasoline on myself.

Both are great for the summer, but you should try Red Vetyver.
    That chemical/gasoline note is definately present. But I feel as if that makes the fragrance, itd be so boring without it. Fahrenheit is built up with the gasoline note as well.

Beauty Encounter sells a .50oz spray... If you decide to buy it, you might want to go that route... Then again there are so many scents out there, why bother to put so much effort into one scent...

I recently got a sample of TdH and thought I'd try it again. The last time was a few years ago when it had just come out. I didn't like it at all. And now? Still can't stand it. I get orange scented dishwashing detergent with a bit of pepper. After half an hour I scrubbed. Oh well.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

The first 2-3 times I HATED it, it gave me a massive headache and thought it was just too damn weird. Now I love it, although I think it only works well in the heat.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

May be its just not ur thing. It has never been my thing, i absolutely hate it from the start till the end.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    No.
    Ditto.

I have tried, several times in fact, to like this fragrance, but it just smells nasty most of the time. To me, TDH reminds me of old, wet logs in a damp forest. That is not what I want to smell like!