Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Tom Ford White Suede: A Review

Last week, petruccijc asked me to do a review of this new Tom Ford and sent me a sample in the mail — so, here goes:

White Suede is, first of all, basically a musk scent, and like many musk scents, it is a skin scent. Most of you will know that means it settles into a low-level projection in the drydown phase. The style of recent fragrances (at least of many of them) is what people term, perhaps euphemistically, "light." This Tom Ford seems to match that description, but only after a fairly strong come-on.

The list for the pyramid (according to Fragrantica) is:
    rose, saffron, thyme, mate tea, olibanum, lily-of-the-valley, amber, suede and sandalwood. The saffron and yerba mate notes are definitely there for the modern sensibility; but Tom Ford is sensible enough to keep some 'oomph' in the juice with old standbys such as rose, incense, lily of the valley, amber, and sandalwood. These are particularly important in the drydown, where a kind of ambery-oriental effect is the last shimmer of the accords. The thyme is not evident to my nose, except perhaps very briefly in the initial blast.

The top note is the first burst of significant interest here, very fresh, with some evidence of suede, but fairly deeply buried under sharper elements until a bit later on. The next stage is a kind of buzzy synthetic musk that I've smelled before in other scents, but haven't learned to name precisely yet. I find the buzzy element in this annoying, but that's a matter of personal taste. Pretty soon it settles down into a much more powdery effect, which lasts for a bit, not unpleasantly. After a fairly brief bout of prominence for the title suede note, the scent retreats to the skin scent level, becoming much less prominent and abandoning a good deal of its opening sillage. The final stage of drydown recaptures some of the charm of the more traditional elements in the composition: the rose, amber, and sandalwood. The persistence of the rose into this last stage, together with a trace of glove leather or suede, is what gives the last moments of the fragrance their ultimate charm.

The French refer to that brilliant and conclusive response which you couldn't muster at the appropriate moment and which only occurs to you after you have left the room as "mots d'escalier" — literally, "words on the stairs" — on the way down, on the way out. The perfect eloquence grasped only too late is not quite an apt metaphor for White Suede; it does produce a rather brilliant moment before exiting, but just before. I found myself wishing the last word had come earlier and stayed longer.

I do like White Suede, especially after the initial foofaraw, well into the heart of smooth suede and the lovely, if elusive, drydown. I find the top notes a bit too much, too rushed, a little forced. I am sure, however, that this will have its admirers in another demographic, and I will be glad that it made them smile. For me? Perhaps, but not too close to the top of my list. I have more traditional tastes, I guess.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 23rd June 2009 at 06:02 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: Tom Ford White Suede: A Review

Thanks for the review, I'm personally only looking forward to Urban Musk in the White Musk Collection.

Sur la Plage

Thanks for the review Jaime!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Jaime.

Would you compare WS at all to you impressions of Tuscan Leather? I've heard the same perfumers did both.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Would you compare WS at all to you impressions of Tuscan Leather? I've heard the same perfumers did both.
    Tuscan Leather is a much more straightforward leather scent, with jasmine as the principal floral heart note. The top notes in Tuscan Leather do include thyme and saffron (which are also there in White Suede), but with a fruity raspberry note, which gives it a much more rounded opening and also makes it much more of a conventional scent. Harry Frémont is listed as the nose for it; so far, I haven't been able to discover the nose behind White Suede, but it might well be Frémont. If I had to choose, my personal taste would incline me much more to Tuscan Leather. For a suede-type leather scent, though, Serge Lutens Daim Blond would be my current go-to, with Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur a relatively distant second.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I wore this over the weekend and I am not really sure what to think of it yet. I don't like it as much as I did Tuscan Leather for sure. White Suede is very minimalistic to me. I don't think I can bite on it at the price it will sell at though.

Basenotes Institution

The noses behind Tuscan Leather were Harry Frémont & Jacques Cavallier. I have heard, from an authoritative source, that they were the same who created White Suede. If anyone else can confirm this, please post.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd June 2009 at 09:01 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks JB.

Query, but isn't this meant to be released in Sept? How are you guys sniffing it? Curiosity demands!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    Query, but isn't this meant to be released in Sept? How are you guys sniffing it? Curiosity demands!
    I slept with Tom Ford for some samples. Oh the things we have to do for this hobby/obsession of ours.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

.... you you you! Well, was he at least good in bed?

I'd have at least demanded full bottles of the entire collection for my services!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I slept with Tom Ford for some samples. Oh the things we have to do for this hobby/obsession of ours.....
    ((wiping mouth))

I can sympathize with you petruccijc.

Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th June 2009 at 03:31 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

The one time I smelled this on a card strip, it was lovely; the perfect seude/leather smell. No one else like this one?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    The one time I smelled this on a card strip, it was lovely; the perfect seude/leather smell. No one else like this one?
    I recently sniffed White Seude at Saks Ave last week, and Tom Ford has done a change in the color of the bottle which is now a dark ashy gray color. More importantly, the new bottle scheme also has a reformulation to the fragrance as well. Instantly I noticed it does not have that "seude'ish" smell to it any more. It is now more sweeter with that vanilla note in it. I was sadden by this new change.

Thanks for the update. I will not consider this purchase any longer.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I noticed the packaging change, but I didn't bother smelling it. I own the original, but was honestly never much of a fan.

Basenotes Plus

This is better on a woman. My wife owns and loves it