Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Terre de Hermes Parfum by Hermes

The Scented Salamander reports...

'...a Terre d'Hermès extrait is in the works and it is titled Terre d'Hermès Parfum...To plan to launch a pure perfume version of the scent can be appreciated as a notable gender twist and example of forward-thinking as extraits are usually reserved for the décolletés of women in the social imagination rather than the skin under the cuffs of men...'

I think this is exciting news, as a fan of TdH.

And well, Guerlain has already released their version of Habit Rouge as a parfum, so it seems only logical for Hermes to follow suit.
    "Human interaction can be hell. Or it can be a great spiritual practice."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Default Re: Terre de Hermes Parfum by Hermes

Count me as very excited about this news.
    Ellena is one of those who really knows how to get the most out of his compositions and doing TdH as an extrait sounds amazing.
    This is now my most anticipated scent for 2009.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I wonder how much the price will be. TdH is already quite pricey.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I wonder how much the price will be. TdH is already quite pricey.
    Not sure but I'm sure it will be similar to the prices for Hermes' other parfum concentrations (Parfum des Merveilles and Kelly Caleche parfum) which is $180 for the 7.5ml and $100 for the refill. Of course, some discounters offer these for much less.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd June 2009 at 03:36 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

This is exciting news...however I am just a tad concerned on the pricing....Somehow I am always a bit stingy when buying extraits

Hermes certainly knows all about luxury, what a great concept (even though Guerlain beat them to it with their Habit Rouge extrait). The original TdH doesn't excite me much, but Ellena is always nudging things forward, so my fingers are crossed.
    Thanks for sharing this Mike.

I'm joining in: Very exciting indeed!

Yeh - I asked at my local Hermes tonite and they knew it was coming but no more info than that - stuff gets here pretty quickly as a rule once it hits the streets over there. I'm really intrigued to see how something with that much sparkle translates into a more concentrated medium.

The Habit Rouge Extrait didn't make it out here, unfortunately - I have been leaning heavily on our very friendly Guerlain lady to sort that one out . . .

My fear is that Hermes won't allow this one into the general retail stream - instead reserving it for the Hermes boutique sales only (similar to what they do for the Hermessence collection now). This will keep the prices high (MSRP only) and will limit it availability...

Teddius

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Hermes certainly knows all about luxury, what a great concept (even though Guerlain beat them to it with their Habit Rouge extrait). The original TdH doesn't excite me much, but Ellena is always nudging things forward, so my fingers are crossed.
    Thanks for sharing this Mike.
    I agree Ruggles.

I can't take credit for finding the article - actually NEoTY26 posted about it on the Terre de Hermes EdP thread and I thought this news deserved it's own thread.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Wow.... I'm with SMM and mikeperez excited for this one. I like TdH, but the notion of its structure in a different concentration is very interesting to me. I assume that the pricing will be along the lines of the new Kelly Caleche parfum, but hey sometimes special items cost money. Eventually it will filter down to discounters, as Merveilles did and KC is starting to. On a side note if anyone still has a source for Parfum de Merevilles refills please please PM me. I went to backup my dwindling bottle recently only to find the two sources I knew were sold out.

Hermes usually creates special bottles for the parfums - I'm curious what they'll do for TdH (and whether it will be worth doubling the cost).

If the extrait is going to lack the sneeze/headache inducing sharpness of the EDT I might be tempted to give it a try!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Personally, I would have prefered an EdP, but this should be interesting...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    My fear is that Hermes won't allow this one into the general retail stream - instead reserving it for the Hermes boutique sales only (similar to what they do for the Hermessence collection now). This will keep the prices high (MSRP only) and will limit it availability...

Teddius
    This would not surprise me.......
    Last edited by petruccijc; 23rd June 2009 at 04:44 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Marie_Helene at The Scented Salamander has been updating the original link all day if you looked at it earlier it has much more to read now.
    http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...20_2.html#more
    Including that it will be released in August and released in a wide fashion to all Hermes stockists. Also the price is going to be extremely reasonable at 80 euros for 75mL.
    This is going to be a huge release.
    Let's hope it lives up to the anticipation

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Marie_Helene at The Scented Salamander has been updating the original link all day if you looked at it earlier it has much more to read now.
    http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...20_2.html#more
    Including that it will be released in August and released in a wide fashion to all Hermes stockists. Also the price is going to be extremely reasonable at 80 euros for 75mL.
    This is going to be a huge release.
    Let's hope it lives up to the anticipation
    I'm confused...

I always thought that extraits came in very small amounts and were meant to be dabbed on. Isn't 75ml a lot for an extrait? How does one even apply an extrait? Wouldn't 75ml be more in line for an EdP than an extrait?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I'm confused...

I always thought that extraits came in very small amounts and were meant to be dabbed on. Isn't 75ml a lot for an extrait? How does one even apply an extrait? Wouldn't 75ml be more in line for an EdP than an extrait?
    Go to the link and read the article. She actually addresses those same issues and I think she has an interesting and perhaps accurate analysis of the packaging of this by Hermes and Ellena.
    The idea that Guerlain and Hermes are trying to make men comfortable with using extrait is a fascinating hypothesis.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Terre de Hermes Parfum by Hermes

Jean Claude Ellena is "The Man". I am looking forward to this purchase.

Terre d'Hermès EdP: Not 50% but 150% Iso E Super.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Terre d'Hermès EdP: Not 50% but 150% Iso E Super.

Actually though, I bet they are greatly reducing the amount of IES in it to conform with the (upcoming) IFRA regulations on it. I hope so, anyway.

The article mentioned a shiso note and other citrus and mint in the top, a more prominent (but not heavy) flint note, and more woods in the base. I'm actually excited to try this, despite not getting along with the original.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

Actually though, I bet they are greatly reducing the amount of IES in it to conform with the (upcoming) IFRA regulations on it. I hope so, anyway.

The article mentioned a shiso note and other citrus and mint in the top, a more prominent (but not heavy) flint note, and more woods in the base. I'm actually excited to try this, despite not getting along with the original.
    Terre d'Hermes EDT will not be affected by the IFRA regulations. This was confirmed by Ellena recently in an interview. I read it here on basenotes but haven't found the link yet. Although it contains a good bit, it is safely way under the IFRA limit according to him. Sorry to bust your bubble.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 24th June 2009 at 01:35 PM.

Sur la Plage

I can see how this will excite perfumistas and colognoisseurs, like ourselves. But not so sure how it will fare with the casual fragrance shopper - since they say they are going to carry it at all Hermes stockists. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sounds like the sort of thing that will appeal to scent-people like us. Even at the very reasonable price point mentioned (which is what? About $120ish?) the casual consumer picking off the shelf isn't going to but it when the EDT is available for around 1/3 the price. Regardless, I'm giddy.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I'm confused...

You'd apply this just as you would the EdT - although more sparingly since the higher concentration of oils makes it unnecessary to over apply.

I'm glad to see that the TdH perfume is going to be in an atomizer. If I remember correctly so is the Habit Rouge extrait and, of course, the perfume strength Nasomotto line.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Question Re: Terre de Hermes Parfum by Hermes

Has anybody gotten their hands on this yet? I see the Hermes online store has it, but no one else in the USA has it (far as I know). Anyone who has tried it, what do you think?

I love TdH, so I am very excited about this, whether I can afford it or not is another matter, lol.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Natch View Post
    Has anybody gotten their hands on this yet? I see the Hermes online store has it, but no one else in the USA has it (far as I know). Anyone who has tried it, what do you think?
    It's at Nordstroms... it's really nice. Very smooth. The 'tinny' sort of vibe in the EdT is gone and the notes seem far more harmonious. The sillage is about the same but progression is slower. Lasted forever on my arm. Also, to the extent that there is an obvious Iso-E-Super presence in the EdT it is not obvious in the parfum.

I'll definitely buy it but may just wait until the discounters get their hands on it. At Nordstroms it's $108/75ml before tax.... I'm sure in a few months it will be available for less online.

sorry for this stupid question, but what is the difference between this and the normal EdT?

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    sorry for this stupid question, but what is the difference between this and the normal EdT?
    The 'parfum' concentration of a fragrance is the most concentrated with perfume oil, with the next least concentated being Eau de Parfum, then Eau de Toilette, then Eau de Cologne. Often houses will alter the formulas in different concentrations, both to present a new interpretation of the scent and/or because a fragrance won't smell right if originally designed in a certain concentration.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Natch View Post
    I got it at Nordstrom (I had a gift card to use) and absolutely love it!

Quote Originally Posted by heynow View Post
    The 'parfum' concentration of a fragrance is the most concentrated with perfume oil, with the next least concentated being Eau de Parfum, then Eau de Toilette, then Eau de Cologne. Often houses will alter the formulas in different concentrations, both to present a new interpretation of the scent and/or because a fragrance won't smell right if originally designed in a certain concentration.
    ah thanks for the info, what do you think will be better, Terre d'Hermes EdP or EdT?

Holt has it here in montreal... to me it smelled almost the same as the EDT but lasted a bit longer and smelled more concentrated (it's supposed to do that I know)
    It's not that expensive either. I think 100ml goes for around 120$

Wow I'm really excited to try this and possibly get my hands on a bottle when it gets discounted a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    ah thanks for the info, what do you think will be better, Terre d'Hermes EdP or EdT?
    There's just the EdT and parfum (no EdP) - and personally I like the parfum a bit more because it's smoother and 'deeper'. If you're looking for a citrus punch the EdT is the better choice, if you're into the development of notes then the parfum is for you.

Thumbs up Re: Terre de Hermes Parfum by Hermes

Thanks for the replies and info. I'd like to add one more fragrance to my collection (just one more!), preferrably an EDP. I'm leaning toward either this or Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford. The stores here in Louisville are always far behind so I haven't had a chance to sample Grey Vetiver. At least I know what Terre d Hermes is all about. Very sharp and bold. Sounds like the EDP is right up my alley, being a little more mellow, yet longer lasting.

I must track this down...mmmm

Nice to know I am not the only one to which TdH gives a wicked headache OUCH !!
    Is it the Iso Super-E that does that??
    I'll be interested to sample it as well.
    Last edited by mi-hooked?; 5th October 2009 at 03:58 PM.
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!

It's at Nordstroms... it's really nice. Very smooth. The 'tinny' sort of vibe in the EdT is gone and the notes seem far more harmonious. The sillage is about the same but progression is slower. Lasted forever on my arm. Also, to the extent that there is an obvious Iso-E-Super presence in the EdT it is not obvious in the parfum.

I'll definitely buy it but may just wait until the discounters get their hands on it. At Nordstroms it's $108/75ml before tax.... I'm sure in a few months it will be available for less online.

I bought it at Nordstrom this weekend and I love it. It was $112 for 75 ml.

There's just the EdT and parfum (no EdP) - and personally I like the parfum a bit more because it's smoother and 'deeper'. If you're looking for a citrus punch the EdT is the better choice, if you're into the development of notes then the parfum is for you.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iluvscent View Post
    I bought it at Nordstrom this weekend and I love it. It was $112 for 75 ml.
    I don't remember if my Nordstroms is $108 or if I'm mistaken.

Youngdro - you are welcome

Although this may seem priceit's actually dirt cheap for parfum which usually costs several dollars per/ml. By comparison Hermes' new Kelly Caleche parfum is $110/7.5ml.
    Last edited by heynow; 5th October 2009 at 08:44 PM.

I felt compelled to update this thread as Terre d Hermes Parfum is my SOTD.

This will be my second and final sampling of the parfum version. I must disagree with those that insist that the EDT and parfum version are so very similar as to be almost redundant.

On my skin, I note a very similar opening to the EDT that I wore in the last few days prior to sampling the parfum version. However, on my skin, it is quite evident that the parfum has a definite woodier, if not muskier development continuing into the drydown.

For those that love the woodier, muskier development in the parfum version, I am happy that they have found what they love wearing.

For me however, I really do not care for this development as it renders the fragrance less enjoyable and wearable.

To each his or her own.

My wallet is breathing a sigh of relief as I still have approximately 90 mls of the EDT purchased in June 2007 at the Hermes Boutique. Note to self: Please Enjoy Wardrobe More!

I own the EDT and the perfume.For me,the perfume is way better then the EDT. I thinks its not a lineair scent like the EDT,after 6/7 hours after applying arrives that stunning drydown,wich stays almost as long as you want;can still smell it after showering.The difference with the EDT are great in a positive way.If Hermes produced the EDP at first,the EDT was never born.

Have a nice day everybody.

Why would you want to smell it after a shower? How is that a positive quality?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Why would you want to smell it after a shower? How is that a positive quality?
    I think it was merely an observation that it can still be detected after showering. Its a positive quality in that it illustrates the Parfum's tenacity over the EDT.

The reason why you smell it after the shower is an overdose of Iso E Super. If you apply some TdH on your clothes I bet it will stay there for weeks. Not the florals, citruses..they'll be long gone. Iso is here to stay...

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    I own the EDT and the perfume.For me,the perfume is way better then the EDT. I thinks its not a lineair scent like the EDT,after 6/7 hours after applying arrives that stunning drydown,wich stays almost as long as you want;can still smell it after showering.The difference with the EDT are great in a positive way.If Hermes produced the EDP at first,the EDT was never born.

Have a nice day everybody.

In that case I only buy scents in the future with loads of Iso E super!! Great stuff!!
    Everybody is talking about that Iso thing;for me its exact the thing what they should have put in all those dissapointing light stuff with no leggs they produced in the last years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I think it was merely an observation that it can still be detected after showering. Its a positive quality in that it illustrates the Parfum's tenacity over the EDT.
    I guess I don't view that kind of tenacity as a good thing. I don't want yesterdays scent interfering with todays, post showering no less!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

As a complete TdH fanboy, I appreciate the subtle differences between the EdT and EdP. Truth be told, I like to wear both at the same time. I'll use the deo and the after-shave balm, then EdP on the belly and one arm, and finally a light mist of the EdT over my clothes. But I'll admit that the EdP is very hardcore. My clothes pick up the scent and hold it until washed. And the drydown can make it through a shower (but admittedly, a surprising number of things can sneak a woody drydown past a shower).

Iso E Super is a mixed blessing. I love the stuff, but I sympathize with those who don't. It's faint but damn persistent.

I sampled this last week. I fell in love with it from initial spray to the drydown. This sounds crazy but I found it intoxicating. I didnt wash my shirt the next day because I wanted to bury my face in it. The parfum went to the top of my christmas list and I think there is a bottle under my tree. If there isnt I am holding my wifes gift (Prada Infusion d'Iris) hostage until I get my bottle.

The Parfum concentration caused my complete U Turn on TDH , its great stuff with huge longevity - and yes , you can still smell it on your skin after showering

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    The Parfum concentration caused my complete U Turn on TDH , its great stuff with huge longevity - and yes , you can still smell it on your skin after showering
    +1...

I love the Edt, so I'm very interested in trying this one. Count me in

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Agreed. The Parfum seems so much smoother on my skin, less sweet, and perhaps even toned down just a notch while still lasting a really long time. I love it.

Just picked up a bottle, really liking it.. not a ton of sillage but it stays close to the skin for quite a while...

Putting in my 2 cents here:

The EdP (Parfum) is pretty much identical to the original, however some of the notes have been noticeably strengthened.

For example, the flint, orange and vetiver are all much stronger, whereas that sharp, woody base (mostly composed of Iso E Super) has been subdued, or at least overpowered by the other notes.

I much prefer the EdP to the EdT, however the EdP is somewhat less suited to hot weather, since it's much more dense than the original. The EdP is somewhat closer to what Red Vetyver by Montale smells like, only much more enjoyable for me.

Both the EdT and the EdP are fantastic fragrances, but they somehow just rub me the wrong way when I wear them. Kudos to those that love it - I can easily see why.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 5th February 2010 at 02:54 AM.
    Sales thread here

Now that my chemical sensitivity to TdH has faded (although I still do find it a bit irksome by the end of its drydown, but it's bearable and worth it, imo, as I really enjoy the frag) I'm really excited to try the parfum version.

Jeez, there's a lot of scents I've been meaning to test but haven't as there's no where to do so locally. TdH Parfum, Fahrenheit Absolute, Guerlain Homme Intense, Grey Vetiver, Narciso Rodriguez Musc.. I think it's time to get on this!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 5th February 2010 at 03:39 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Though I've pretty much put a freeze on my buying, today I ordered a bottle of the TdH Parfum. My EdT has about 10% left in it (the only bottle I've come close to finishing!) so TdH is a scent that I know will get a lot of skin time.

It is really strange that it's a pure perfume strength-- I hope it doesn't irritate my skin. I usually don't worry about the "safety" of scents, but I do wonder if it's all that wonderful to put undiluted oil onto the skin--especially if it's like 40% Iso E Super. Still, I had to go for it and I really look forward to trying it out and posting my review. Terre D'Hermes is a scent that I love and that really works for me, so I'm stoked about this. I can't wait!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Though I've pretty much put a freeze on my buying, today I ordered a bottle of the TdH Parfum. My EdT has about 10% left in it (the only bottle I've come close to finishing!) so TdH is a scent that I know will get a lot of skin time.

It is really strange that it's a pure perfume strength-- I hope it doesn't irritate my skin. I usually don't worry about the "safety" of scents, but I do wonder if it's all that wonderful to put undiluted oil onto the skin--especially if it's like 40% Iso E Super. Still, I had to go for it and I really look forward to trying it out and posting my review. Terre D'Hermes is a scent that I love and that really works for me, so I'm stoked about this. I can't wait!
    Oh congrat's Indie. As one of TdH's true fans, I think you will be over-the-moon for it.

I found it not irritating in the least, on my skin. I've worn Parfum des Merveilles (the parfum version of Eau des Merveilles) for years and enjoyed a much more toned down, boozy, deeper version of that scent - the parfum of TdH does the same thing.

Please report back once you've had time with it.

Yes, I agree that TDH parfum is much smoother. I was very fortunate to get a few samples of this from one of my favorite SAs when it was first released. It wouldn't have been my first choice in a purchase but having been able to wear it several times I might just change my mind.

I tried to like this but I detected a note that smelled to me like vinyl that some lilos are made out of and just could not live with the scent.