Code of Conduct

Default I love Mugler Cologne.

I love Mugler Cologne so much.

Smell-wise, it isn't groundbreaking. But I realized that most of the time, I really don't want my scent to be. I'm glad this was an impulsive buy (huge sale) because otherwise I would never have bought it based on smell. This isn't a wrist fragrance at all, where you spray it on your hand and enjoy sniffing it up close. No. It's how it feels when you're dosed in the stuff.

You can pour it on yourself when it's 40 degrees outside, and you'll still feel comfortable and not one bit annoyed. And most importantly, you'll smell fresh, 'light', and clean. Something I really appreciate on a hot and sunny summer day.

MC doesn't have a place in my top 10 favorite scents to smell. But it's the fragrance I'm using the most for this summer, and I love it for being just what it is. So in a way, this is my current number one fragrance.

I love Mugler Cologne, and I will never be without a bottle.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Default Re: I love Mugler Cologne.

Awesome fragrance and just another example of the beauty of a simplistic plan executed perfectly.
    Agree with all your thoughts on it!

Sur la Plage

I love it too!

I reach for it a lot on hot Florida weekends.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I definitely don't understand the longevity complaints that have been leveraged against this scent. Or the claims of minimal sillage. I may have overapplied today (3 sprays to the chest, one to each forearm) but I was projecting strongly and I can still smell it clearly on me 9 hours later.

I do enjoy Mugler Cologne a lot. I just wish that the openmindedness that people have towards this scent would extend towards all designer scents, but I don't realistically expect that to ever happen.

Actually, I hate to see *any* scent written off because of a wrist test, because that really tells you nothing about the experience of being enveloped in the scent. Also, the scent one typically smells when wearing a scent as a SotD proper is the smell of the sillage which can be radically different from the imrpession one would get only wearing it on the wrist and sniffing up close.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 24th June 2009 at 01:48 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post

I love Mugler Cologne, and I will never be without a bottle.
    This is what I also said back in '01, and I never have been since. Though, I AM down to my last 4 or 5 mls! Time for a top up!

Funny, I've only tested Mugler Cologne on my wrists and I can't help sniffing them when I wear it - it's the sexiest, most dynamic "clean" scent I've ever come across. Glad you like it though!
    Sales thread here

Agreed. Sign me up for the MC fan club! I haven't been without a supply since it came out. A perfect green vetiver summertime splash.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I definitely don't understand the longevity complaints that have been leveraged against this scent. Or the claims of minimal sillage. I may have overapplied today (3 sprays to the chest, one to each forearm) but I was projecting strongly and I can still smell it clearly on me 9 hours later.

I do enjoy Mugler Cologne a lot. I just wish that the openmindedness that people have towards this scent would extend towards all designer scents, but I don't realistically expect that to ever happen.

Actually, I hate to see *any* scent written off because of a wrist test, because that really tells you nothing about the experience of being enveloped in the scent. Also, the scent one typically smells when wearing a scent as a SotD proper is the smell of the sillage which can be radically different from the imrpession one would get only wearing it on the wrist and sniffing up close.
    I guess its because of the "Cologne" in the name that makes people already develop a mindset that Mugler Cologne is going to be weak,low sillage..etc even before the 1st spray.

I personally have not tried this because its not available in my country. They have A*Men but no Mugler Cologne...and my country's climate is hot n humid ! Imagine that. I'm seriously dying to try this.

Matt - Singapore got boh?

I have a love/hate relationship with Mugler Cologne. Back in my early days, when I first tested around 10 scents on strips at the department store and taking them home, Mugler Cologne struck me the most.

However, now I have the weird feeling of feeling... I dunno, Turkish Kolonya-kinda... I dunno. I don't feel comfy wearing Mugler Cologne.

Although once I was walking on the streets and sniffed Mugler Cologne on someone else and it was HUGELY captivating.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I think there is a lot of love for Mugler on Notes. It really works here in the high humid, hot summers. A must-have, well for me anyway. I enjoy the shower gel just as much. It is not popular here as many really do not know about it. So I turn a lot of people onto it here.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Aha! The shower gel however, I splurged on by buying a big bottle. LOVE how the bathroom smells when I wash myself with Manfred Mugler's runny liquid.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

One of a few scents I didn't like on my first try, then grew to like it and wouldn't be without a bottle like you.

I got back to trying it because I smelled it from my foreign friend, who had just finished working out, and I thought she was wearing CK Be. I asked her almost immediately and her answer was Mugler Cologne. Then I tried this green juice again and purchased a bottle. I find myself reaching for this one when I have no idea of what to wear.

About the scent, after being washed by sweat, it's really similar to CK Be. Apart from getting a whiff from her, I also have smelled it from several tourists, mostly from men, and it didn't smell like CK Be on others apart from her.

I hope Mugler would make Mugler Concentree

By the way, I have seen the new bottle of this one, it comes in a tall square bottle:
    http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/M...0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Which version is this? Anybody?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Same here. It's like bringing an elegant, almost old-school style, possibly niche EdC into the mainstream and the contemporary fashion.

Oh Mostapha, now I'm gonna have to get some. I have owned it in the past and never replenished. I have went back and forth between this and OV and to tell the truth, I like MC much better. Sometimes the minimalist approach is much better. MC is uncomplicated, simplistic, smells fresh, and it aims to please. In that, it is a huge success.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

A work of art, and definitely groundbreaking! Mugler Cologne also started the whole cologne frenzy... I ♥ it!

I Iike it also, but it could do with a little less lemon, but that's just me of course

You know what guys no fair! I have been debating recently, whether to purchase Fou d'Absinthe or Mugler Cologne and Hugh Parsons Blue. It's like 2 cheaper ones or the 1 big niche. Now you've made it even tougher of a decision!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I just picked up a bottle a couple of months ago and I am very happy I did. I don't not wear Mugler Cologne often, and I wonder why I don't. It is such a great smell and feeling. You guys are very right that smelling it on the wrist or test strip does NOT do this fragrance and many other fragrances justice. Wear it ....then decide.

When I sampled this 7 years ago I only smelled sour citrus and grass. I have no idea why, but thankfully I can appreciate this now. Perhaps my sample was "off" ? It is time to bring MC back into my rotation !

Blog Entries

Add me to the list of Mugler Cologne lovers. This is my go-to summer scent when I can't figure out what to wear. It's also my go-to travel scent no matter what the season. I always take a 10ml atomizer of MC w/ me on vacation. This was one of my first purchases upon joining Basenotes 4 years ago & I've been through several bottles, including one of those huge 10oz ones!

I'm with Mostapha. I love being drenched in the stuff. I actually decant my bottles into a spray misting bottle & that's how I apply it .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

It's currently on my wish list but I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a bottle before the summer's up, looks like I'm running out of time
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

Cool Re: I love Mugler Cologne.

I was in Aruba last week and wore it every single day that I was there. It's a perfect "island fragrance."

I got a sample from Sephora a few months ago and wasn't blown away, but certainly didn't mind it. Perhaps I will try it again now that it is very hot. I didn't find the longevity or sillage to be great on me at least. Have you guys tried Creed's Original Vetiver? I liked Original Vetiver a bit more. OV is a little more soapy, but has better longevity and sillage on my skin and it smells a bit less synthetic to me. I looked at Mugler Cologne reviews and there appears to be a number of other reviewers who have made comparisons between the two frags.

After finally trying Paul Smith Story, i think it is a suitable alternative to Mugler Cologne. In fact, I think I like it more than Mugler cologne as it doesn't overdose on the musks. Instead, it has an absolutely wonderful, tart, mouthwatering grapefruit opening with hints of green ivy, and a green ivy/rose/grass (a very clean vetiver, perhaps, like the Mugler) heart.

I typically love Alberto Morillas' work, and I do enjoy Mugler Cologne, but all in all I am finding Story to be similar enough to fit the same wardrobe hole, while being more natural and more pleasant.

At the very least, fans of Mugler Cologne should give Paul Smith Story a sniff. I am quite sure you'll enjoy it!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 25th June 2009 at 08:09 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Yet another Mugler fan.

Mostapha - this doesn't mean you've given up your love affair with Dior Homme, does it?
    Last edited by Snafoo; 25th June 2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    I got a sample from Sephora a few months ago and wasn't blown away, but certainly didn't mind it. Perhaps I will try it again now that it is very hot. I didn't find the longevity or sillage to be great on me at least. Have you guys tried Creed's Original Vetiver? I liked Original Vetiver a bit more. OV is a little more soapy, but has better longevity and sillage on my skin and it smells a bit less synthetic to me. I looked at Mugler Cologne reviews and there appears to be a number of other reviewers who have made comparisons between the two frags.
    I used to think they were the same too. Now that I own Original Vetiver I can't believe how wrong I was. The similarities are there for literally 30 seconds and then they are gone. Original Vetiver is far woodier and has a lot more going on. That isn't to take a shot at Mugler Cologne which I also like, it's just that they are certainly different.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

If you can still find it, Truth for Men by Revelations Perfume smells a lot like Mugler Cologne and is a lot more inexpensive.. Wal*mart used to carry it but I believe it went on clearance and is no longer sold there.

MC is a perfect scent for summer. it makes me feel clean and sparkly. Not groundgbreaking in a revolutionary sense, but certainly conveys a sharp. modern point of view in a way that many other "groundbreaking" scents can't come close to.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I used to think they were the same too. Now that I own Original Vetiver I can't believe how wrong I was. The similarities are there for literally 30 seconds and then they are gone. Original Vetiver is far woodier and has a lot more going on. That isn't to take a shot at Mugler Cologne which I also like, it's just that they are certainly different.
    I agree with you that while they share notes and smell alike sometimes, they feel totally different. Like you said, OV has a lot more going on, it develops better, and on me it has better sillage and longevity. But sometimes (and recently, most of the time) I want the simpler choice. If I have to pick between those two for a busy work day, for the gym, or when I just don't know what to wear, I'll choose Mugler Cologne. If I'm meeting friends for breakfast and a movie, I'll go for Original Vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Mostapha - this doesn't mean you've given up your love affair with Dior Homme, does it?
    Dior Homme is my sex.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Sur la Plage

I used to own both. But I felt that Mugler Colonge was the better of the two, so sold off the Original Vetiver - and I don't miss it at all.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    I agree with you that while they share notes and smell alike sometimes, they feel totally different. Like you said, OV has a lot more going on, it develops better, and on me it has better sillage and longevity. But sometimes (and recently, most of the time) I want the simpler choice. If I have to pick between those two for a busy work day, for the gym, or when I just don't know what to wear, I'll choose Mugler Cologne. If I'm meeting friends for breakfast and a movie, I'll go for Original Vetiver.

Perfectly stated. I could not agree more. This is exactly how I feel, and precisely why I want to own Mugler Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I used to own both. But I felt that Mugler Colonge was the better of the two, so sold off the Original Vetiver - and I don't miss it at all.
    My words exactly......

On a side note, I think I read somewhere that one of the Kilian's was very similar to MC...Can someone please confirm which Kilian was it? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    My words exactly......

On a side note, I think I read somewhere that one of the Kilian's was very similar to MC...Can someone please confirm which Kilian was it? Thanks
    I'm pretty sure none of the Kilians smell anything like MC. At least not:

Straight to Heaven
    Taste of Heaven
    Cruel Intentions
    Love
    Liaisons Dangereuses

This houses style of perfumerie is a whole other ball game - light and fresh is not their thing.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I'm pretty sure none of the Kilians smell anything like MC. At least not:

Straight to Heaven
    Taste of Heaven
    Cruel Intentions
    Love
    Liaisons Dangereuses

This houses style of perfumerie is a whole other ball game - light and fresh is not their thing.
    I'm pretty sure it's Prelude to Love, because I heard the same thing. But I can assure you other than PtL being green they aren't similar.

Wow, actually looking at the notes of Prelude to Love, I just may stand corrected.

Last edited by L'Aventurier; 26th June 2009 at 01:14 AM.
    Sales thread here

From Ozmoz - Mugler Cologne notes

Top notes
    Bergamot, Neroli, Petit grain

Heart note
    Orange blossom, S molecule

Base note
    White musks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From Ozmoz - Prelude to Heaven notes

Top notes
    Bergamot, Seville Orange, Lemon

Heart note
    Néroli, Orange Blossom, Ginger, Pepper

Base note
    Iris, Musky Notes

From Ozmoz - Mugler Cologne notes

Top notes
    Bergamot, Neroli, Petit grain

Heart note
    Orange blossom, S molecule

Base note
    White musks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From Ozmoz - Prelude to Heaven notes

Top notes
    Bergamot, Seville Orange, Lemon

Heart note
    Néroli, Orange Blossom, Ginger, Pepper

Base note
    Iris, Musky Notes
    I mean it's worth a try. It's a nice green fragrance, but I just don't smell that many similarities between the two. Not to mention Mugler Cologne is a fraction of the price.

I mean it's worth a try. It's a nice green fragrance, but I just don't smell that many similarities between the two. Not to mention Mugler Cologne is a fraction of the price.
    A friend of mine, who has recently tried Prelude to Love is absolutely in love with it and is insisting that I should give it a go.

Mugler Cologne is one of my favorites cologne for summer. I'd surely will try to obtain a sample of PtL...thanks

A friend of mine, who has recently tried Prelude to Love is absolutely in love with it and is insisting that I should give it a go.

Mugler Cologne is one of my favorites cologne for summer. I'd surely will try to obtain a sample of PtL...thanks
    You know, looking closer at the notes. I think the thing I didn't care for and the thing that may really differentiate the two is the ginger. I'm not a fan of ginger as a note.

I used to feel the same way about Mugler Cologne as my staple EdC until:

1. I found Paul Smith Story because it has a fresher take without being sharp and has great longevity.
    2. I found Dior Escale a Portofino--its elegance speaks for itself.
    3. I found L'Occitane Citrus Verbena (not their regular Verbena)--what can I say, it makes me happy.
    4. And lately, I found Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche--not your typical EdC.

Give these a try, hope they compliment your bottle of MC!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I agree.....This is an excellent fragrance.....One of my favorite hot weather scents.
    Gary

Can't understand the love for this one, playmates!

Overpowering, sharp and synthetic.
    I Thang You!

Favourites: Knize Ten, Creed Royal English Leather, Creed Cuir de Russie, Acqua di Parma Colonia, Helmut Lang Cuiron, Creed Zeste Mandarine Pampelmousse

I understand the love for this one.
    I LOVE the synthetic leafy-green heart note it shares with OV.
    Paul Smith Story also uses a similar more ivy-like note that is also used in lesser quantities in OV.

But with Mugler, I absolutely HATE the synthetic citrus, synthetic feminine musks, and the synthetic "dishsoap florals"
    Hate them enough to deem Mugler unwearable.