Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb What Is The Definition Of Masculine In Fragrance?

I read so many threads that weave the term masculine into describing a fragrance and it occurred to me that the term is highly suspect of having no real meaning at all. I believe that our society has for so long defined differences in fragrance that even the knowledgeable of Basenotes still fall prey to the use of the term. The phrase; if you like it, wear it, is, IMO, the determining definition of unisex. Fragrance does not have gender. I think the true definition of masculinity is being sufficiently self assured to make choices based on what works for one. In fragrance, at least, the term "masculine" no longer applies. Of course, it is not my intention to offend anyone by this thread,it just seemed timely to give my opinion regarding the matter.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 27th February 2011 at 05:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: What Is The Definition Of Masculine In Fragrance?

I find it a useful if admittedly stereotypical term - a generalization of certain classes of prominent notes and accords that at any particular time are more associated with fragrances marketed to men than with fragrances marketed to women. While it is politically and culturally admirable (in my opinion) to note the underlying general truth that masculine means that somebody put "Pour Homme" on the bottle, the fact that the existing dichotomy is probably artificial in nature doesn't make it any less real or useful.

It's like a lot of stereotyping terms - it's useful but increasingly useless, both with time and with understanding.

I would not be surprised if there is, ultimately, a small gender bias underlying scent preferences, but I would hasten to add that as a person becomes more enamored with scent, the dimension of appreciation quickly exceeds the dimension of any such preference, and the WEARING of scents then reduces to a question of social comfort, to which there is (in my opinion) no correct answer.

Also not my intention to offend - just to express how I see things.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Fragrance does not have gender. I think the true definition of masculinity is being sufficiently self assured to make choices based on what works for one.
    Well said.

This is the working definition of 'masculinity' that I subscribe to on a regular basis. Thanks for putting it across so eloquently. But I must add there could also be a social context or decorum that I would be mindful of whenever I select a fragrance. For example I doubt if Carnal Flower is appropriate for boardroom meetings though if you were to keep it on the low end you can get away with just about anything.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 27th February 2011 at 05:57 AM.

It seems to be a historical development to a degree. However, there is often a certain kind of "roughness" in "masculine" frags, so I think an argument can be made for a "masculine" texture to a frag.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th February 2011 at 06:59 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Any idea when prominent 'floral notes' get associated with feminity? In other words, historically speaking, when did men stop wearing florals?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I think the true definition of masculinity is being sufficiently self assured to make choices based on what works for one.
    That desirable trait is not, in my opinion, gender specific.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I would say there could be a number of possible definitions of the term "masculine" as it applies to fragrances:

1. The widest would be "any fragrance worn by a man." That could conceivably apply to any fragrance obtainable. The term could be narrowed by considering the likelihood that a given fragrance would be worn by a man. You could list every fragrance available and assign it a value indicating the percentage of men who would be likely to wear it; but that list would shift over time.
    2. Another possible definition might be "a fragrance that the manufacturer designates as being for men," or that it "markets towards men."
    3. A third would be "fragrances that contain a series of accords and an overall effect that has at various times in the past been commonly or exclusively worn by men."
    4. Finally, you could consider it to be, by negative definition, "a fragrance that a man would wear without offending his own personal sense of masculinity."

All of these are more or less subjective, perhaps in ascending order of subjectivity. I think people could have any of these definitions in mind when using the term "masculine (or men's) fragrance." Stores often still have men's and women's fragrance counters, so I feel that marketing is an important factor that keeps these categories alive in our consciousness.

When I use the term, I often put it in quotes ("masculine" or "typically masculine"). I think I do this consciously to avoid using it in a prescriptive sense, i. e., using it to suggest that the category is anything other than subjective.

Other thoughts? BTW, I thanked you for this thread. I hope it helps all the men on Basenotes examine what "masculine" means in terms of fragrance, and helps to avoid some of the (occasionally heated) debate about the use of the term.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 6th March 2011 at 08:14 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

There are many scents that tiptoe the border (Dior Homme, Kenzo Power) and there are those that most of us agree would be considered masculine. (Polo, Rive Gauche pour Homme)

I think certain notes such as pine, fir, cedar, leather, oakmoss, patchouli, vetiver, lavender and more tend to be linked (but not exclusively) to men.

Florals tend to seem more feminine in the fragrance world. (but not exclusively either!)

Many have their own opinions but to me a masculine fragrance ... "I know it when I smell it".

The phrase; if you like it, wear it,
    I believe there are certainly some clearly distinguishable gender-specific connotations with fragrances, whether you agree with those or find them outdated societal stereotypes, it's just a matter of personal opinion. Fact is that most people still make the distinction.

It's like clothing: i am perfectly allowed to wear a skirt (i imagine it'd be very comfy come to think of it), but i wouldn't want to. Some other guys though, self assured or not, would definitely not have a problem donning one, more power to them!

It's completely subjective. The sense of smell is closely tied to memory, so a masculine fragrance to someone is whatever fragrance he or she associates with men. It's the fragrance your dad wore. It's the fragrance your roommate in college wore. It's the fragrance you've smelled other men wearing. If you're susceptible to marketing, it's the fragrance some company tells you is masculine. It's not an absolute thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Another possible definition might be "a fragrance that the manufacturer designates as being for men," or that it "markets towards men."
    True.

Not something a woman would wear.

Of course, it's a spectrum, and there's a lot of middle ground (and contradiction) out there... but the overwhelming majority of 'female' fragrances' are florals, although many also involve fruit, vanilla and occasional spices. As a group, they tend to have a smooth, buoyant, lightness that carries in the air.

'Masculine fragrances' on the other hand are rarely floral or fruity. As a group, they tend to be much sharper and bolder at first sniff. Sometimes even a little aggressive. Sometimes, they don't actually smell 'nice'. But they often smell strong, especially in the near distance.

Although nearly any ingredient can be found in both maculine and feminine fragrances, the balance of most masculines involves much heavier use of ingredients that carry an olfactory 'punch'. Patchouli, oakmoss, smoke, wood, vetiver... these are just a few.

Anyway, that's the big generalization. There are huge number of widely accepted cross-overs' that no one ever thinks twice about... and that is why there is always so much confusion and argument about this subject.

Of course, there's really no need to argue over people's individual preferences or choices. This is about broad generalizations of the marketplace and typical usage.

Floral, fruity, powdery, gourmand... these tend to be marketed towards, and overwhelmingly worn by women.

Aromatic, leathery, woody, mossy... these tend to marketed and worn by men.

Was it always this way? No. Will it always be this way? No. Is there a proper type of fragrance for men or women to wear? No.

But this is the way of the marketplace and fashion in 2011.

And now I will go spritz myself with Stetson... or Chantilly... or maybe Jaipur Homme or Shalimar... or maybe English Leather or Samsara (just a little!)

Many people at Basenotes have difficulty with the concept of masculine and feminine scents. There is no difficulty however. In general boys play with wood as they grow up, and girls play with flowers.

Subsequently, something like 95 to 99% of the population - from age five to 90 - will have little difficulty telling a masculine scent from a feminine scent.

The matter gets confused somewhat with some designer scents and many of the niche scents that have become popular the last ten years, basically because they mix up masculine and feminine components and call the result "unisex". Then it depends on which notes predominate in the course of the drydown, and on which ones the person smelling them focuses on.

Also some confusion sometimes arises with some sweet scents which do not contain pronounced masculine woody or pronounced feminine floral notes.
    Regards,
    Renato

"In general boys play with wood as they grow up".

I had to stop there for a few seconds, as tears of laughter prevented me from reading any farther....

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I would say there could be a number of possible definitions of the term "masculine" as it applies to fragrances:

1. The widest would be "any fragrance worn by a man." That could conceivably apply to any fragrance obtainable. The term could be narrowed by considering the likelihood that a given fragrance would be worn by a man. You could list every fragrance available and assign it a value indicating the percentage of men who would be likely to wear it; but that list would shift over time.
    2. Another possible definition might be "a fragrance that the manufacturer designates as being for men," or that it "markets towards men."
    3. A third would be "fragrances that contain a series of accords and an overall effect that has at various times in the past been commonly or exclusively been worn by men."
    4. Finally, you could consider it to be, by negative definition, "a fragrance that a man would wear without offending his own personal sense of masculinity."

All of these are more or less subjective, perhaps in ascending order of subjectivity. I think people could have any of these definitions in mind when using the term "masculine (or men's) fragrance." Stores often still have men's and women's fragrance counters, so I feel that marketing is an important factor that keeps these categories alive in our consciousness.
    Agree 100 %.

I would add to definition nº 3 the presence of spicy and wody notes and some florals, which, as per the rest of the definitions, it is not a requisite per se.

edit: posted to wrong thread
    Last edited by pluran; 27th February 2011 at 04:01 PM.

"For men" and "Masculine" are very different things in my mind. "For men" is invented by corporate strategists to sell scent. "Masculine" is a fact of fragrance, derived from centuries of both scent and human evolution.

Masculine scents, to me, are generally astringent or spicy or very woody, or are dominated by oakmoss or a similar note. They are often derived from or in ancillary relation to the traditional "barbershop scents," and veer towards the slightly aggressive rather than towards the pleasantly subdued. In my collection, Rive Gauche PH is the only truly masculine scent. And I'm fine with that.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Blog Entries

+++ to what JaimeB said! His comments point out that context (ie marketing v personal use) will have a lot to do with what gender means in fragrance. Also, that various comments in this thread highlight the value of the ongoing question rather than any one definitive statement. Gender is something we all participate in and it has an enormously complex and changing language, but it also has deeply personal and distinct meanings to each of us. No wonder this is a recurring topic. Interesting comments, all. Thanks.
    jtd

In some countries, rose and jasmine soliflores are unisex. In some they are feminine.
    In some countries everyone wears dresses, in some, only women do so.
    In some countries males wear all the bling, and so on...

Words are tools of communication. When they start becoming weak or obsolete, they are augmented or replaced.
    Masculine is such a word. Especially in Basenotes community, I believe masculine is beginning to lack in its communication power.

I can't really add much to redneck and Jaime's great replies. A fragrance that a man would wear without offending his own personal sense of masculinity, is an excellent definition.

I agree. It's subjective; however, there is this implicit continuum. The sweeter the fragrance, the more feminine. As a fragrance lessens in sweetness, it becomes more masculine. Somewhere in the middle of this line lies unisex fragrances. IMO

Would be interesting to take a few people and sample the same fragrance except the first time you spray it say its the Femme version and the 2nd the Homme and see how may different reactions you would get just off the name.

In simple terms, anything that smells like pee and sweet diluted by alcohol, with the occasional lemon on top.

I don't know anymore. I thought I knew, then I found www.basenotes.net.

When I first started wearing fragrances, I tried several that were marketed to men. I thought they smelled feminine, so someone here suggested Rive Gauche PH. Then I thought I knew what masculine was again. I even said, no woman could wear it but then several women said they did. So I am sort of lost on the subject and now I don't really care anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Any idea when prominent 'floral notes' get associated with feminity? In other words, historically speaking, when did men stop wearing florals?
    Good observation, Nick.

As for Diamond's question, the genderfication of scent started in the end of the 19th century. I don't know the first fragrance house that did this.

As for the notion that lavender is inherently "masculine," lavender was widely used by women the 1800s, while violet and jasmine was widely used by men.

Leather and tobacco were popular notes for women at the beginning and middle of the 20th century: Tabac Blond, Cuir de Russie by Chanel, Cabochard and Jolie Madame.

Gender stereotypes are all marketing at this point in the history of fragrance.

Need I recall to mind a certain strapping 6'3" bare-knuckle boxer and duelist who was fond of his eau de jasmin?

I agree with JaimeB's assessment.
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th February 2011 at 05:18 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Late-Hit View Post

I had to stop there for a few seconds, as tears of laughter prevented me from reading any farther....
    ROFL. Well uh.. 'played', sir.

JaimeB gave what to me is the definitive answer but it is too much to think about.(Thanks for putting the thought and time into that post, JamieB).

If you're a man, you like it, and can wear it with confidence, it's manly enough. No matter what you wear including Demeter's Dirt, somebody will think it's "girly." I know and have have known a lot of guys who are totally scent phobic and anything you wear is feminine.

fountain

Fragrance does not have gender. I think the true definition of masculinity is being sufficiently self assured to make choices based on what works for one. In fragrance, at least, the term "masculine" no longer applies.

words of wisdom, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Late-Hit View Post

What?
    Does that mean boys continually play with daffodils, make dandelion rings, smell roses, stick flowers in their hair where you live?
    And they don't climb trees, whittle wood, make spears, shoot arrows, hit each other with sticks and do other neat things with wooden objects (like start fires)?
    I can see that playing with items made of wood may be difficult if one lives in the Sahara, but I'm surprised that it apparently doesn't happen in Washington.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    What?
    Does that mean boys continually play with daffodils, make dandelion rings, smell roses, stick flowers in their hair where you live?
    And they don't climb trees, whittle wood, make spears, shoot arrows, hit each other with sticks and do other neat things with wooden objects (like start fires)?
    I can see that playing with items made of wood may be difficult if one lives in the Sahara, but I'm surprised that it apparently doesn't happen in Washington.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Stop and think about possible double entendres for a minute...
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

masculine fragrances are generally drier and often more sober than feminine fragrances.

What?
    Guys will almost always try to smell the pretty flowers and are usually visibly disappointed with unscented roses. This can make for some mean tricks with orchids

As to orange blossom, neroli, and petitgrain ... I live in Florida. There's nothing particularly girly about citrus groves, or farming in general.

Except for maybe red cedar (actually a juniper) no guys I knew cared at all what their shop projects smell like.

Instead, I agree more with Bigsly and others that "masculine" frags tend to have a rough, even aggressive, quality which doesn't seem quite right for a "feminine" fragrance. That falls more in line with 19th c. advertising that promoted some products as being gentle enough for women and children.

I believe fragrance DOES have gender, saying otherwise is like saying anything that has been designed by people doesn't have a gender, take clothes for example.

Masculine qualities of a fragrance: dry, vetiver-y, tobacco-ish, spicy.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    I believe fragrance DOES have gender, saying otherwise is like saying anything that has been designed by people doesn't have a gender, take clothes for example.

Masculine qualities of a fragrance: dry, vetiver-y, tobacco-ish, spicy.
    Trapper, you might be over-simplifying with only these notes.

What of Guerlain's Vetiver Pour Elle?

And what of Habanita by Molinard from the 1920s. Lots of tobacco in that one plus vetiver.

Another? The new Tabacca by Costamor, which came out only recently, has a strong sweet tobacco note.

And dry? Give Chanel No. 19 a sniff. This is a "women's" scent. Green and dry.

Then finally YSL Opium and Fifi Chachnil. Very spicy.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Aside from obvious anatomical accomodations, is there any difference between "masculine" and "feminine" in clothing? One might like to academically say that there shouldn't be, realistically there most certainly is. Try marketing a pair of hot pink jeans in men's sizes and in the men's department and see how many you sell. Even something like a winter coat which can be structurally gender-neutral still will often still have stylistic cues that mark is as men's or woman's. I submit that the same is true in fragrance. While there certainly is a broad range within which fragrances can be unisex, there are certainly traits which mark a fragrance as primarily for men or for women.

My notions of this word have lead me to make some blind purchases years ago that I'd perhaps not have made had I known about the predominant floral or herbal/floral notes. Given my upbringing, I would not use the term to describe scents like Aramis 900, Antaeus, VC&A ph, etc. No regrets, just sayin.

I was conditioned to associate the term with things more or less woody, spicey, earthy, leathery, and/or barbershop among other smells. Fitting that bill would be your Yatagan, Kouros, Gentleman, Piper Nigrum, TdH, Equipage, Davidoff 1984, Creed OV, various Vetivers etc. etc. Not your florals.

I get the sense the term has been used at times as a device to assure the marketing target that, although floral, it takes the manliest-of-men, the self-confident, and those-most-comfortable-in-their-skin to be worthy and able to truly appreciate the product. bah.

As a descriptor of what's in the bottle, the term has no reliable meaning to me.

I just wanted to thank Jamie B for his thoughtful contribution to the thread. I may post more as I think further about what he said, but wanted to chime in with support for his statements. This part of the post is especially intriguing:
    "A third would be "fragrances that contain a series of accords and an overall effect that has at various times in the past been commonly or exclusively been worn by men."
    I think we could all contribute some sort of list of notes that could be identified as "masculine" in fragrances. As Renato says, "Subsequently, something like 95 to 99% of the population - from age five to 90 - will have little difficulty telling a masculine scent from a feminine scent."
    While this is true, there are a huge range of fragrances that confuse the matter by including notes that do not have clear gender associations (off the top of my head I'm thinking of oceanic notes, some gourmand notes, etc). And there are those fragrances that mix up traditional feminine and masculine notes, making some folks very uncomfortable.

Then there is this strange phenomenon, which I can't really explain; sometimes I will wear fragrances that I think may lean traditionally feminine, but when I wear them they seem perfectly masculine. I'm a pretty masculine guy. I'm athletic, a bit of a sports dork, and not at all "dandified". My obsession with fragrances is the only metrosexual thing about me. I fit in fine at the prison where I work. In that environment, where I would be teased without mercy by inmates and staff alike if I were to come off too feminine, I have never had any comments about smelling too pretty. I do get comments about smelling weird when I have worn strange stuff (CdG's and Yatagan come to mind), but I have never had anyone comment about me smelling too feminine.
    I suppose context (how I present myself) plays a role in other's perceptions of masculine and feminine fragrance.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

agreed. I think most forms of jasmine simply amplify the gender of the wearer.

Long Hair is for woman? Hmm maybe. Short hair is for man? Yeah maybe.
    But sometimes is quite amazing a woman with short hair, or a long haired man, that is almost impossible to dislike.
    The perfumes is the same. There are the divisions, but they dont apply all the time for all the people.
    I like to use female scents, but my girl find it strange, and dont like that i do this. She get mad when i buy female scents to me, and try to get it to her...The close-minded people.......

In any good perfumery school one of the first things they teach is to forget about what's masculine or feminine.

In perfume, the male of the species is always smaller than the female. Most masculine fragrances are refusals made smell. The perfumer usually uses a decent feminine fragrance (or one of the often hundreds of attempts that were rejected by a house) as a reference point, and then camouflages the top and heart notes with more spices, less bright notes etc, and gives it a cleaner drydown. So in order to create the good masculine fragrance it just depends on the perfumer's ability to under-construct while maintaining the quality. It's a matter of personal taste, and people in the perfume industry wear whatever they want with no attention at all paid to the marketing.

It's all subjective. But there are fragrances that, to my nose, DO smell masculine or feminine. I think of heavy, rich, and spicy fragrances as masculine. I think of light, floral, and sweet fragrances as feminine. I'm not swayed by marketing however. I've tried fragrances that, even though they're "for women", smell masculine. And on the other side of the fence, I don't see scents, like aquatics for example, as all that masculine. This is despite the fact that most of them are geared towards men. It's all silly.

This kind of thing can be seen outside of fragrances as well. Even food! Imagine you're at a steakhouse and order a grilled chicken Caesar salad and a water, while your girlfriend orders a steak and a beer. Most would say that this is backwards. Is there anything wrong with it? Of course not. It's all about social expectations, which are pointless and stupid.

And for the record, I hate steak and never plan on drinking. So I'd choose the salad and water 1,000 times over.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    It's all subjective. But there are fragrances that, to my nose, DO smell masculine or feminine. I think of heavy, rich, and spicy fragrances as masculine. I think of light, floral, and sweet fragrances as feminine. I'm not swayed by marketing however. I've tried fragrances that, even though they're "for women", smell masculine. And on the other side of the fence, I don't see scents, like aquatics for example, as all that masculine. This is despite the fact that most of them are geared towards men. It's all silly.

This kind of thing can be seen outside of fragrances as well. Even food! Imagine you're at a steakhouse and order a grilled chicken Caesar salad and a water, while your girlfriend orders a steak and a beer. Most would say that this is backwards. Is there anything wrong with it? Of course not. It's all about social expectations, which are pointless and stupid.

And for the record, I hate steak and never plan on drinking. So I'd choose the salad and water 1,000 times over.
    I agree with this, Canwll. I have often made the comparison to foods and music.

How can one describe music and the taste of food as gender-oriented. One can appreciate it all.

It is funny how others expectations will often be counter to what society may think.

For example Black Aoud has a lot of rose to it. Ask most US females, they would say rose is a feminine scent.

However, the one time I wore it to work, one of my sales staff told me I smelled really "manly".
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

I would like to bump this thread, after 2 years of human progress.... Where are we? Have we move forward... in defining Masculinity of a Fragrance...

(though forums like this follow the crowd-thinking and will most likely bash people for dissenting opinions.... please post away.....don't be afraid)
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

I wear what I want. I think some things smell too feminine, but not because they're marketed toward women. I love some florals that others may think are too feminine. Although, I do think certain things like M and Bel Ami definitely have a more "rugged" vibe, and would probably be more likely to be worn by men.

Basenotes Member

Debatable but I would say wear what you like, if it suits your image and character.

I like many woman scents, Versace Crystal Noir for example which I believe to be more masculine than feminine. As a general rule of thumb though I tend to stay away from heavily floral frags, especially roses which are far too feminine for likeing.

It's a simple matter of taste. What's masculine or not to you is just that, what it is to you. Nobody is trying to define something for anyone other than themselves. Feel free to disagree, heck even voice it if need be, but there's no wrong here, just individual right(s).

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by happyscent View Post
    I would like to bump this thread, after 2 years of human progress.... Where are we? Have we move forward... in defining Masculinity of a Fragrance...

(though forums like this follow the crowd-thinking and will most likely bash people for dissenting opinions.... please post away.....don't be afraid)
    My position remains the same. A scent is as "masculine" as the man who wears it. I have only one rule about fragrances: I have to enjoy it.