Code of Conduct

Default East Coast Trip Report: Gathering of the Cats, RHM, Tdem, and Debborrra

At long last, here is my report from getting together with Sakecat in the DC area and from a sniffing trip with RHM, tdem, and debbborra. Ladies, please feel free to chip in with photos, details, etc.

First came DC. I didn't do much sniffing there--just a quick trip to Perfumania and Macy's at Pentagon City mall snuck in between family time and tourist time. But I did get to exchange sniffies with my evil scent twin, Sakecat, over a lunch of Ethiopian.

While we may be evil scent twins, you can see we're glasses twins. More important, we're actually food twins. I don't know that many people who will tuck into kitfo (raw spiced meat), much less with relish. After catching up--I especially liked her story about keeping up with the young guys in her exercise class, I went off with lots of yummy sniffies.

DH and I drove up to New Jersey, spent a few days there with his family, and then took the train into New York.

In order to not torment my DH, I promised I would concentrate my fragrance shopping mostly within one day. What better way to spent a sniffing day than with Basenoters? RHM, tdem, and debbborra joined me for what ended up being a wonderful day of sniffing and getting to know each other in person.

What a warm, kind, and knowledgeable group of ladies. First, I must tell you that RHM knows everyone. Really. I'm not kidding. And Tdem knows practically everyone (including an adorable young makeup guy, Edward Bess, from whom I bought a lovely red lipstick). They were kind enough to introduce a number of their fragrance friends with us. I often felt like a duckling trailing behind the mama ducks. It was fun hearing too about debbborra's writing and her recent publication.

We started out at Bergdorf's as soon as it opened, meeting Jason at the Guerlain boutique. He was professional and knowledgeable, which was such a nice thing to find and which was true of the SAs I encountered during the day.

(I swear that tdem is not a vampire, although for some reason, she didn't show up in the photos. )

Jason shared with us several of the newer "city" releases (Moscow seemed to be everyone's favorite), as well as Sophia, which is a drop dead gorgeous fragrance in limited release. I finally got to try Mitsouko in parfum, which was much more wearable on me than the EdT, and Bois d'Armenie, which was reminiscent of a warmer, woodier Spiritueuse DV. (Still love the latter best, though.) I also got to sniff classics like L'Heure Bleu. Another thrill is that I got to experience what Guerlain smells like when it really works on someone--Chamade was absolutely beautiful on RHM, and one of us smelled delicious in Rose Barbare as well.

Then there were the Tom Ford Private Blends. I hadn't yet tried Oud Wood, and although it's not a Montale-ian aoud, I ended up liking it, although it does read quite masculine.

We then spent time playing with Annick Goutals with Tom, who is such a doll (and knowledgeable, too). I tried Les Orientalistes for the first time. My favorite was Myrrh Ardente. RHM bravely tried all three together, and they were to die for. I ended up buying the 10 ml roll-on of Matin d'Orage because I used my sample up, and it seems like a perfect summer fragrance.

At Serge Lutens, tdem recommended the Douce Amere, which I hadn't gotten around yet to trying. It was just lovely, as was Un Lys.

Then, tdem, debbborra, and I went through the "JAR experience." (To say that JAR and RHM don't get along is quite the understatement.) Our guide had previously worked in the wine industry, and it showed in his presentation. To JAR's credit, the fragrances really are distinctive as well as high quality, unlike other higher-priced fragrances I could mention. Golconda was stunning on tdem, and debbborra wore her lightly gourmandish fragrance (can't remember the name) very well. The SA also brought out for us the next release, which was highly distinctive, characterized by a burnt sugar/green note duo. He also brought out some gorgeous jewelry to try on. After I win the lottery. . . .

I was reminded that BG had the new Estee Lauder Private Collection White Jasmine Moss. One sniff, and I bought the darn thing. Oh well, at least it wasn't a blind buy. So far, it's wonderful. (I'll start a separate thread on that.)

After spending hours at Bergdorf's, I realized that getting around to five stores might not be the most realistic goal. I swear, I could spend a whole day in the basement there.

To be continued . . . .
    Last edited by BlackCat; 25th June 2009 at 11:48 PM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: East Coast Trip Report: Gathering of the Cats, RHM, Tdem, and Debborrra

We grabbed some Sabrett dogs at a stand (the quintessential New York experience) on the way to Barney's and then headed straight for the Frederic Malles. I had only smelled a few of these before, in LA (it's a long story, but suffice it to say I'm not crazy about the sales rep I keep getting there, who keeps trying to steer me away from FMs) or via samples. Luckily, Kash in New York was very helpful. Plus, there were the sniffing booths, which are a fun idea. Une Rose, which has been my favorite thus far, may have a serious challenger in Lys Mediterranee. Definitely more lily on me than LotV, and subtly sexy. Tdem sprayed Geranium for Monsieur, and we decided it definitely is for monsieurs. That's a zesty mint note there!

Onto some sniffing at Le Labo, then the Armani Prives, then a counter full of gems, including Heeleys and L'Artisans. I was excited to see "my precious," Delrae Amoureuse, displayed.

At this point, tdem got a call letting her know that relatives from Italy had arrived early, so we hugged her and regretfully said goodbye. She's so fun to hang out and sniff with!

The three of us soldiered on to Bendel's.

To be continued . . . .
    Last edited by BlackCat; 25th June 2009 at 11:49 PM.

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: East Coast Trip Report: Gathering of the Cats, RHM, Tdem, and Debborrra

Bendel's fragrance department is relatively small, but well-edited.

I had never tried Etat Libre D'Orange, having been turned off by some of their names (*cough* Secretions Magnifique *cough*). Not that I'm a prude, just that they always struck me as gimmicky, which made me wonder about the juice. So it was a good reminder to ignore fragrance names. Rossy DePalma was incredible, although the drydown was too patch-heavy for my tastes. Nonetheless, all dark rose lovers should try it. By this time, my nose and skin were a bit saturated, but it seemed as though Jasmin et Cigarette also smelled pretty terrific. I'll definitely need to explore this line a bit deeper. (Although one sniff from the bottle of Secretions Magnifique was more than enough of that one.)

We then had a blast at Memoire Liquide. For those of you not familiar, these are oil-based fragrances that are primarily meant to be blended. ML had a nice deal where you could get three different small fragrances in one package, so we decided to split three ways. RHM is a gifted fragrance blender, and she consulted on debbborra's and mine. By this time, we all knew each other's favorite notes, so it made sense that I would play with white flowers, and debbborra mixed a lovely zesty citrus. RHM's had honey, black tea, and lemon zest. And it smelled as good as it sounds.

At this point, I realized I needed to take more photos with my iPhone. That's when I realized it was gone. We traced our footsteps back and found it at (inevitably) the last place we checked--the Bergie's lost and found. BG really takes care of its customers! We also had a little set-back when the NY meter people decided to be draconian, but we're hoping to rectify that on appeal.

Dinner was definitely in order at this point. We ate at the restaurant on top of Bergie's, which has a lovely verdant view.

Debbborra and RHM bundled me into a cab, well-fed and tired but exhilirated from a wonderful day.

THE END

P.S. I was able to steal about 25 minutes at Saks the next day. It wasn't as fun to go by myself, and the SAs were definitely less friendly than at the other stores. It was good to finally smell Chanel Beige; however, sadly, it was a disappointment, veering between notes of lightly honeyed floral and of dishwashing soap. Clearly, it's not meant for my chemistry.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 26th June 2009 at 01:02 AM.

Girl, you are a natural! You can write very emotionally charged prose, so please do not you ever give up, would you?

More!

Thanks for the entertaining report, BlackCat! I'm glad our four fine feline friends found fragrant fun!

Basenotes Plus

Kitty Cat, you did a wonderful job!

She was also very polite. JAR makes me faint, literally. There's something in the JAR fragrances that triggers an immediate vasovagal reaction. I just didn't know I shouldn't even smell it dried down on someone else. Sorry I scared you guys. Live & learn.

I didn't tell you that I saw a woman with a bottle of one of the Chanel Les Exclusif's clutched in her hand. It was the same hand she was using to walk with a cane. No receipt, No Bergie bag, No box, just the bottle, bold as brass. (You three were washing off after the JAR episode.) Tom called it in.

Those were a very weird 20 or so minutes.

As for the parking ticket, I couldn't find the first muni meter receipt, just the last two. So, since I was "guilty" of not noticing that I had placed the second muni-meter receipt in the window of my vehicle wrong side up, I paid the $65.00 ticket. Yes, it was raining dogs & taxies. Yes, it says, "must be displayed in your vehicle" and it doesn't say you can't display it print side down. But the fact remains, that even though I was "legal", (I'd paid my money to park there) the meter-reader person couldn't check to see if I had.
    I was careless.
    I didn't tell my husband.
    He would laugh at me.
    I would cry.
    It's not my first parking ticket at a fragrance "event".

These were the whacky things that happened. It kinda knit us together actually. Well, except for the shoplifter, the other three didn't know about her & there wasn't anything for any of us to do about that.

I smelled the new Killian Hennessy line called Arabian Nights By Killian Pure Oude. The bottle & black laquer box has a gold label, sells for $395.00 for 50 mls. I'm not a good judge of anything oude. To me it smelled very strong & medicinal. Sure did last a long, long time.

There's much more to tell but as my husband has recently been re-employed (YEAH!!!!!), I have a ton of thing to do before he gets going.

Let me know when you all want to finish our visit, there's lots more to see and MANY more people to meet.
    Last edited by RHM; 26th June 2009 at 02:35 AM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I so enjoyed hanging on every well-written word, BlackCat. My mental pictures are very pleasant, but digital ones would be good, too!
    Last edited by Quarry; 26th June 2009 at 05:55 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

That was so much fun to read! I wish I could go to NYC and follow in your footsteps. Sounded so gloriously exciting! Didn't you feel 'drunk' at the end of your day?
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Cool beans, Blackcat. Living vicariously through you and your compadres. sigh.....

RHM, sorry about your parking ticket! Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and go on down the road.
    Last edited by Lessa; 26th June 2009 at 06:33 PM.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Us 4 eyed kitty cats need to stick together

You are absolutely right - it's tough to find people who will dig into a large pile of raw meat with you.

Kitty cats are meant to be carnivores anyway

And it sounds like you had an absolute BLAST in New York. So jealous.....

Let me know next time you are in DC so we can do more fun food and sniffy stuff.

Your evil scent twin always - SakeCat
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

I think these small gatherings of members are just great - I would like to do more accompanied sniffathons than I do. I wonder how many years it would take for everyone to have the chance to meet everyone else in person...

I guess the the upcoming BN meet will join a lot more dots!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Plus

I prefer the smaller get togethers. We really felt as if we had a chance to actually smell what we wanted to smell...no pressure. AND we got to know each other much better because we actually got to talk to one another.
    Now, we definitely wanted to go more places than we did but the truth was, we really explored the places where we stayed. That leaves more to visit in the future.

Basenotes Plus

All I can add to BlackCat's and RHM's spot-on recaps are my thanks for the wonderful time I had. I've had the pleasure of RHM's company in the past - and really, she's a lovely friend, beyond perfume - and was so glad for another opportunity to spend time with her, as well as for the chance to meet BlackCat and Debbborra. Lovely women all - warm, funny, smart, articulate. And it goes without saying, they know their frags. Just delightful.

I'm only sorry I had to leave early, while the fun was still in full swing. And sorrier still to hear of RHM's ticket!! Ugh.

Thanks again, my dears - I had a blast!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

How fun, you all! And great writing, BlackCat! Aww, I wish I wasn't all by my lonesome here in Oregon.

Thank you, that was a great read!

(Now curious about scents that can make you faint!)

Sounds like you had fun, and was fun to read. Glad you had a good time. Where's the pics?!

Oh, you guys! I am so sorry to have missed the fun! We must plan another.

Thanks for the kind words. After all these years practicing law, I wasn't sure if I could write anything other than legal briefs any more.

Wow, I can't believe that brazen elderly shoplifter. At least she had good taste. If you're going to get busted for shoplifting, might as well lift a Chanel Exclusif.

Anyone who doubts that physical reactions to fragrance are very real (and not psychosomatic) should have seen poor RHM's reaction. She turned paper white and glaze-eyed before even hearing that she was smelling a JAR. Poor thing! She was a trouper and bounced back gamely, though.

Can't wait for my next New York trip! (I'm going to try to make the Fall Ball, but as RHM notes, it gets a little zoo-ey for quality time.) I'd love to hang out with the girls again and meet Therese. And Sakecat, my fellow obligate carnivore, I will definitely give you a heads-up the next time I'm in the DC area.

I looked forward to the date with BlackCat, RHM and tdem1961 with both anticipation and a little aprehension. I'm kind of shy. From the first moment there was this feeling of being on the same page, sort of like with people you already know. There's nothing better than hanging out with people who share an interest. Terry Alisa and Christine are smart, interesting and just lovely. Anyone who isn't sure about meeting fellow basenoters, I'd urge you to do it. Especially these three!

The staff at Bergdorf's does seem far happier, more professional and just nicer than at Saks. (Where many of the staff are lovely, but some are kind of cold and/or predatory.) I just think it's hysterical that we only saw about a third of the beauty department, and we spent most of the day there.

The vibe at Barney's is a little more casual, but just as elegant. If you come to NY you cannot miss Barney's. They have things you cannot get anywhere else. But it's not just that. They almost remind me of an art gallery for perfume. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Bendel's is a bit more playful. Stopping there and putting together the perfumes was a real joy. It was the perfect take away moment.

We have to do it again. We have to. And next time we have to get downtown as well. Maybe they'll do us a thirty hour day.
    Last edited by debbborra; 28th June 2009 at 01:19 AM.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the reports you all! What a great experience. I'm now even more looking forward to the Meet-A-Thon coming up!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

Aaawww... That sounds like it was great (well, at least the sniffing part - not the ticket, fainting, or lost phone parts...)

I'm sorry I missed you guys!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

We missed you, rogalal!

Where did you end up sniffing?