Code of Conduct

Default How to pick a tie

I have always been good at putting together a casual outfit, and when my wife and I go out I am also dressed very well. The one thing I have never done is purchased or even worn a suit. I do want to purchase one soon but I am unsure of how you choose the correct tie and dress shirt to go with the right suit. My father was never a suit wearer so I never really new what to do when purchasing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Strong to the finish cause I eats me spinach.

Default Re: How to pick a tie

This is some good basic adivce:
    http://www.necktieaficionado.com/How-To-Match.html
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I personally don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks of my choice of a tie. I pick and wear what I like, 'right or wrong'. I wear it with gusto and if the viewer doesn't like it he/she can carry that irritation all by themself. I refuse to pick up and carry that opinionated burden.
    Last edited by kbe; 26th June 2009 at 08:49 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Some basic advice:

if your shirt is striped, don't wear a striped tie (plain is best but a pattern like pokadots or a paisley motif works too). If your shirt is plain then either stripes or a motif will work. Never wear shiny shirts under a suit and restrict the colours of your shirts to white, light blue (and light pink if you're feeling up to it). Striped shirt always incorporate white into the mix.

Matching colours is a bit trickier and more personal. Check this page for help: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/C...ordination.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I personally don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks of my choice of a tie. I pick and wear what I like, 'right or wrong'. I wear it with gusto and if the viewer doesn't like it he/she can carry that irritation all by themself. I refuse to pick up and carry that opinionated burden.
    Yeah that's all fine until you have to meet with someone that you need help or something else from. Like the one that decides whether you're going to get the job or whether he's going to go into business with you.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post

Yeah that's all fine until you have to meet with someone that you need help or something else from. Like the one that decides whether you're going to get the job or whether he's going to go into business with you.
    If the tie I am wearing is the deciding factor for that shallow individual then I wouldn't consider the help or the partnership. Nuff said..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Sounds like you actually need help buying the suit.

However, after that, white cotton shirt, and any silk tie that takes your fancy - preferably not in the same colour as the suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Sounds like you actually need help buying the suit.

However, after that, white cotton shirt, and any silk tie that takes your fancy - preferably not in the same colour as the suit.
    This is true. When it comes to suits, I no nothing.
    Strong to the finish cause I eats me spinach.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    kbe: I like your attitude! I have always been a clothing and fragrance individualist--and the heck with what anyone thinks!

Freakzilla:

However, the suit should "suit" the occasion in many instances. You cannot always be one's own man. Sometimes the work/social environment dictates the clothing when one is "on the clock" at work. Then again, when you are dressing for yourself or for a loved one--that's another matter.

And ties...

Regimental stripes, foulards, pastels, jacquards...many choices! However, do make sure you buy SILK! A synthetic fabric tie will slip easily and you will lose your nice knot and let your collar button show. Learn to tie different knots. The full-Windsor is my favourite. Very nice, hefty and symmetrical.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Dependent

I've always love those thin and sleek ties and preferably in plain dark colors. These days I dont have much reasons to wear ties. Learnt to tie them back in secondary school where it was part of our school attire. I personally prefer the smaller slanted knot - whatever its called... we were warned or punished if the tie was not presentable during assembly lol

Go for quality - fabric, cut and, yes, if in doubt label. My advice would be to avoid anything 'this season' because a good suit, especially if you are only going to wear it (a) for 'occasions' or (b) whenever the hell you feel like it - can be an absolute joy. You can wear the right suit just like your favourite jeans - just don't get led astray by what lapels are 'in' this year and let the suit broadcast the fact that it's actually wearing you

Second pure cotton shirt and silk tie - it's a cliche, but if in doubt go for a Hermes tie - bulletproof, cool and classic all at the same time! Yeh - have fun with it - feel good!