Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Saturday 27 June

Good morning!

Les Parfums de Rosine Rose d'Amour, a lovely bright rose scent with galbanum and ginger.

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Last edited by tigrushka; 27th June 2009 at 05:45 AM. Reason: fatal error aka the sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Saturday 27 June

Britney Spears - Believe (for a rainy brainless weekend)

Day Three, F. Malle: Iris Poudre

I've not been a big fan of iris. Coming from an early liking for opulent (and overbearing) spiced Orientals (Opium), I found iris ran counter to my preferences. Iris was either marked by a powdery cosmetic accord (Hiris) or was too vegetal and chilly (Iris Silver Mist); it ran counter to not just my tastes but to the perception of myself. Iris was too cool, not terribly gregarious, and seemed to me to have an arrogance that I could admire but which I would never seek to achieve.. I don't think anyone would believe me in an iris scent; I saw such things as the province of the intellectual and the aloof, of the Hitchcock blonde in her presumption of frigidity that of course drove men wild with lust and priapic fantasy of possession..

Great. Why bother?

Iris Poudre came to me through a sudden revelation that I appreciated aldehydic florals for the frontal attack on humidity. I made the bold step of purchasing Eau Premiere and when that worked as well as it did I ordered Iris Poudre, even though I had forgotten what it smelled like.

I've been wearing it ever since, subject to one caveat: It fares poorly in stormy weather.

IP departs from what I considered the norm by being a chalky iris and a gray iris. To be precise, it is a stone gray and it would prefer, if asked, to retreat behind a rock. After that initial aldehydic high, IP features a mineral-type powder (non-cosmetic) that is like a rosin and not a facial product. It isn't sweet and it doesn't have that organic vegetal note. The most interesting feature about IP is how it captures a formalist structure and a strange and surreal Modernism. Something that smells like tobacco makes a minor and surprising interference.

It's worth noting that I do not receive most of the listed notes. I do get the slightly bitter ebony of the base, but only because this note is so distinctive to me as acrid. Also, the amber is of the metallic, non-gourmand variety and these two together reverberate through the long finish of the scent, mildly making noise.

IP is a receding scent that defies getting a handle on where it is going. It seems to draw the wearer backward into what might be a gloom; it's a trickster that way. On the surface, it is a modern aldehyde that, like Cassie, seems a very clever reworking of a traditional theme. That would suggest IP has that same brisk tailoring as a classical aldehyde, but it only does so to challenge that idea.

There's also a dirtiness of a richly mineral soil that appears once the top sparks off. This is not the same soil/earth I described in Une Rose, which is earthier and perhaps primeval. IP's soil is like growing soil, suitable for a certain type of plants alone, but who knows what those might be?

I've noticed that some people react poorly to IP, apparently seeing "floral aldehyde" and expecting the sweetness of No. 22. IP is not sweet. This is a dry fragrance that tempers all of its floral components with a topcoat of ashy orris.

Longevity is superb.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SotD Saturday 27 June

Chant d'aromes.

Good morning !
    Sharing the house w/ Tigs, In Rose Kashmirie...ooodles of it.
    You guys smell great !

Thanks for the sweet well-wishes; head is better- I'm off to work the weekend.
    Hope Com Diva had a wonderful day yesterday...
    And love to all whose situations are thorny and fraught.

Must wake beloved for CAWFEEE !
    [Where's Terry when you need her, hmmm ?]

Love ya.

Have been out of the fold for a few weeks - busy, busy, busy!
    Two sons have moved back home (temporarily?), my youngest sister got married
    last weekend and I am applying for a few part-time teaching jobs too.
    I have decided to wear Heliotrope Blanc and am hoping this grey, wet morning
    brightens up for our local Carnival this afternoon. Soggy floats are not attractive!
    Last edited by kewart; 27th June 2009 at 10:33 AM.

Essence: Jasmine by Donna Karan - for an early 5K

Caron Aimez-Moi, to work.

Have a nice weekend!

Two SotDs so far; layered JLo Sunkissed Glow with White Linen....a REALLY bad idea, believe you me.

Wonderful weather here today, just have to drag my butt out of bed and out in the sun. :bounce:

Lutens' CHERGUI for some delicious oriental power in the heat.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Today I'm wearing SL's Claire de Musc.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Sur la Plage

I am going to participate/celebrate in the local Gay Pride festivities today. Happy Pride!

My SOTD is Yves Saint-Laurent Kouros.

Top notes are aldehydes, artemisia, coriander, clary sage and bergamot
    Middle notes are carnation, patchouli, cinnamon, orris root, jasmine, vetiver and geranium
    Base notes are honey, leather, tonka bean, amber, musk, civet, oakmoss and vanilla

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thumbs up Re: SotD Saturday 27 June

GUERLAIN'S HABIT ROUGE, Eau de Toilette

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Oh geeze. No WONDER everybody's so Krazy for Kouros.

Think I'll head for St. Tropeze in
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Petruccij, it just struck me that I have no clue when the Parade is...! Have been there the last three years but somehow I've not been paying attention this year. Might be it's in August, anyway, better chance for sunshine. I'll have to find out when it's held post haste! Have fun at your end, and everyone else who's attending!

Today I trie another two samples from the stash lovethescents sent me (thank you dearie!):
    Ava Luxe Figuier: LOTSA coconut. LOTSA. Bit excessive for my taste, actually. I do like it better than her Figue Noir, though, that went very perfumy on me. This is nice, just not for me.
    Tsi-La Organics Ilang Ilang (never heard of before): does anyone remember these?

The top notes are a dead ringer for those candy necklaces. It made me laugh out loud when I realized what it was I was smelling. Gets powdery and less sweet soon after, and has an almost plasticky edge to it. Odd. I think I'm going to reapply just for the candy necklaces. Sign me up:

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

My SotD, is Infusion d'Iris, and I didn't care so much about it.
    So I'm going to shower it off and wear J del Pozo, in Black tonight.

Enjoy your Saturday, guys & girls.

[QUOTE=petruccijc;1549044]I am going to participate/celebrate in the local Gay Pride festivities today. Happy Pride!

My 29 year old son, who works for Google, lives in SF and is very involved in the local festivities there. Let's just say that it is a much better atmosphere there than here in Wichita. He usually walks with the Google contingent during the parades, and 2 years ago was excited to meet George Takei, who rode on their float that year.
    Enjoy your day, Petruccijc!

Hubby is home and we had a nice reunion last night. Went to bed in Apres L'ondee. He wore Habit Rouge.
    This morning I am calming myself in Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert. Have been without Air conditioning here at the shop for 2 days as all the service techs are working in the field. Can you believe that? You would think an HVAC company could get a service call! Sheesh.

Happy weekend to all
    Last edited by Lessa; 27th June 2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Orion, interesting reading your thoughts on Iris Poudre. I had requested a sample of that but they didn't have any made up, so I received a card sprayed with it along with a lovely note signed by FM. I was so impressed by that gesture, and by the fragrance, that I was tempted to order it without trying it on skin. But I didn't. Not yet anyway.

Chaya, glad to hear your head is better!

Ubu, good luck in the 5k!

petruccijc, Kouros! Perfect choice!

Everybody else is looking and smelling fine today. It's going to be another steamy one here today. I'm wearing No. 5 Eau Première , my staple.

Happy Pride! :brolly: (though I hope rainbow umbrellas wont be needed at the parades today)

I'm sampling today: Jicky EdT, Eau de Guerlain and later today Chanel No. 19.

Enjoy your day your day everyone. And thank you everyone who wished me well a few days ago. I'm feeling much better already.

Happy anniversary To the ComDivas and I know how happy they still are 21 years later.

My final day Day 6 of my $100 Fragrance Wardrobe Challenge. Today I am wearing Murray & Lanman Florida Water which you can buy in the 9oz. EDC size from dealsbuzzhealth.com for 6.99. Which brings my six-day grand total to $96.73

Murray and Lanman Florida Water

I've been wet shaving with a double-edged razor for awhile now and I've been trying some of the eau de colognes recommended in the wet shaving community. Florida Water is one of the more highly regarded of these and after a solid 4-pass shave I sprayed some on. The first blast is an intense ginger which in something calle Florida Water is surprising. Y'know since Florida is so well known for their ginger. The ginger is bracing and refreshing but quickly to the rescue is something Florida is well known for, as a citrus note comes in and makes for a spicy citrus melange that is quite nice. The spice and citrus linger for a good while before transitioning into a light floral middle which leads to a vetiver base. Like many eau de colognes the longevity is modest and if you need something to last you all day it will require you to top it up at some point. This is a really beautifully constructed eau de cologne which is amazing when you consider the price tag of $5 for 4.2oz.!! Florida Water is said to have use in voodoo ceremonies, I don't know about that, but the designers of this one have definitely performed some kind of olfactory voodoo to make something this good at that price.

Have a Superb Saturday everyone
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 27th June 2009 at 02:45 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Parfums MDCI Péché Cardinal with just a tiny bit of Montale Patchouli Leaves

Soivohle' Daybreak Violin once again.

Basenotes Institution

Good morning everyone and have a good Saturday. It'll be about 107 degrees in central California today.
    Shalimar EDT for me today . Reminds me of beloved Jicky.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 27th June 2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling......
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I am wearing and enjoying AL's Frangipani, getting ready to go out in the heat.

Diptyque
    PHILOSYKOS

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Coconut, of the fists-full of samples Musse sent for my daughter to try, I was surprised/embarrassed to like Believe.
    Chaya, "migraine nevermore!"
    Kewart, good luck all the way around.
    Ubu, you are virtuous in activity, deed and scent.
    ComDiva, congrats on the long and successful marriage.
    Pet, and all our gay-supporting contingent, "Hold your heads high."
    Lessa! The cobblers' children have no shoes (A/C), eh? Just lovin' our 1-y-o A/C system.
    Going to meet the couple who's likely to become our next tenants, wearing juice from my newly arrived mini of Henry Dunay Sabi. Much happiness here. Thanks for focusing attention on this frag, Haunani.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Czech & Speake Cuba today. The heat is on..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Gio Pour Homme
    Gary

bleu autumn haze

I'm wearing Fresh Strawberry Flowers today ... very refreshing for such a HOT day.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

We're on a little weekend getaway and I only brought my little travel size bottle of Vanille Galante. It's good for the heat, so I'm happy! Enjoy the Saturday happenings, everyone!

Basenotes Plus

Belated but heartfelt happy anniversary wishes to ComDiva and her hubby.
    (((((Chaya!))))) So glad to hear you're feeling better, honey.

Creative Scentualization Perfect Veil body creme. I really enjoy the edp for its subtle allure but there's a buttery, mellow quality to the body creme that I just love. Addictive.

Enjoy the day, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Daughter's slumber party tonight...and finally some sunshine!

Celebrating both with Chanel No5 Eau Premiere....

Basenotes Institution

A little late start today...I had my 3 yr old nephew and 10 yr old niece over for breakfast, making crafts at the dining room table and off to see 'Transformers 2' yay!! (sigh - wish me luck) Wearing:

Turquoise by OIivier Durbano (2nd time from a sample - thanks Dimitri)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ComDiva and Mr. ComDiva!!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Good Morning, all.

Haunani, enjoy your weekend getaway!
    mysticknot, I'm actually jealous - I love that kind of heat. I'm sure it gets tiresome after a while, though.

Later today I'm going to a friend's 30th birthday party, so thought Parfums de Nicolai Le Temps d'Une Fete would be fitting.

Additionally:
    Mike, that sounds really fun. I can so picture that scene - adorable.
    I forgot - Happy Anniversary to ComDiva and hubby!
    Last edited by turquoisewater; 27th June 2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added

Happy Saturday, everyone! Today I am sampling an Acqua di Parma Bath set
    Mandorlo di Sicilia shower cream, body cream, and EDT. It's lovely- lots of vanilla though.

Love and light.
    Sheglows

I am sitting in the Beverly Hills Saab service waiting room, and indulging in their free wireless

I am also reveling in our new discussion forum for single note study, and the fact that the mods have added a bunch of Profumo's fragrances to the directory! In celebration, I am wearing Profumo Morning Blossom--my favorite neroli fragrance!

Just a note to welcome you, Sheglows! What a delightful screen name!

Asha, I think the single notes forum is going to be wonderful!
    Last edited by Haunani; 27th June 2009 at 06:16 PM.

Welcome Sheglows!

I've been enjoying Datura Noir so much from the decant I made that I've decided to take the sprayer off my bottle. It's now a splash bottle and I enjoy the effect. After some comparison side by side, I find that the fragrance is smoother and creamier when splashed on (well, actually it's more like smearing it on after pouring into my palm). When I spray this fragrance, there is a slightly abrasive or jarring quality in the beginning that makes it too heady. It's hard to describe, but it has kept me from wearing it on some days in the past. I also like how it projects much less by splash, even though I'm probably wearing much more of the fragrance than when I spray, more work friendly this way. Oh yeah, the whole point of this was to say Datura Noir is my sotd

Hi everyone! Welcome, Sheglows :-)

I'm glad those who weren't well are better today.

Veuve-am loving reading your reviews. Keep them up!

Plumeria--have and love Datura Noir but I actually forgot about I had it....you know you have too many perfumes when..... So embarrassing. Think I'll wear some now.

Scent for work tonight?...tricky on the unit....2 third trimester women with Swine Flu, so horrible. Must go for bright and beautiful: Saffron James L'ea or Carnal Flower....undecided.
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

J del Pozo - in Black today

last time I tried it my husband said it smelled like cherry cough drops - which it did
    however, it's much warmer today than the last time I wore it and the grapefruit seems to be taking the edge off the cough drop. I like it better although it's not staying around as long, it's down to my skin now after 3 or 4 hours.

L'Artisan's green Premier Figuier this afternoon

Welcome, Sheglows!

Happy Pride Day!:toppie:

Lessa, sorry to hear about the no-A/C-thing. That bites.

SOTD is Caron Third Man. Feeling a bit more like wearing scent today, so will likely switch to AL Viva later on. Have a lovely Saturday, all!

sotd:
    ELSHA
    1776 Russian Leather

Yay! Summer is back

SotD is JLo ~ Deseo, I just love this in the heat. It seems like the more I wear it the more I like it. Who'd have thunk!

SotE is Reminiscence Do Re - oooooh, this hits the spot. Gorgeous creamy cuddly heliotrope. I need to revisit my heliotrope fraggies, stat1
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Swinging by quickly to say hi.

Chaya happy you are feeling better

ComDiva congrats to you both.

Ubu such fortitude, I couldn't run a 5 yard race, but I will blame that on the asthma not the laziness.

Huanani have a great get-away.

Pet, enjoy the parade, some of my happiest times have been showing support and walking in the parade here in Boston, actually made it on the news once riding on the side of a float. Had lots of people wondering afterward is she or isn't she, which I enjoyed because it really should not even matter

Big welcome to Sheglows, have some fun with us.

Silverbullet, where do you find these wondefully unique scents.

Now onto my sotd it was Bigerade by Nina Ricci

My sotA is now Eau Fantasque by Fragonrd

Take care all my honeys, love and hugs
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Today Kenzo Power, Tomorrow The World
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Veuve---was this your first time testing the Do Re?
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Happy Pride Day

Spending my day in Sun today
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Thank you for the warm welcome.
    I have since spritzed with Ava Luxe Cafe Noir- my current favourite.

Sheglows.

Doing some testing this afternoon...

Biehl al02--on paper, this smelled awesome, a clean and modern amber. On my skin, it smells like potpourri or a scented candle--cherry candy, cinnamon wax and almond. It really smells bad on me

Profumum Santalum--I think I should be happy--this is the first Profumum that stinks on me. I am not having much luck today, but to be honest, the last thing I need is to lust for another expensive fragrance. Anyway, this one smells like wood shavings, gasoline and ammonia.

Le Labo Labdanum 18--so far, I am not feeling very charitable. This one smells like iris mixed with amber--the rooty, dirty, green kind of iris mixed with sweet powdery vanilla and resinous cistus. The arrangement is jarring, but I admit it could be something that grows on me.

Kai by Kai--ok, confession time. I have never smelled gardenia (which this fragrance is supposedly centered around). After smelling it, I am still not sure I have smelled gardenia. To me Kai smells more like lilac, which is great, because maybe the lilac-craving folks would like to take this one for a spin. It seems well made and refined, but maybe not "me".

Happy Saturday!

SOTD is Azzaro - Eau Belle
    Evenstar

Neglected my paints and spent the afternoon sniffing some wonderful samples from sloan_8013 the current fave being Montale Aoud Leather..much less medicinal than some of the others (don't get me wrong ... I LUV medicinal) an aged suede with a whiff of lime blossoms. Yumsters.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Comme des Garçons

There seems to be some kind of JLo vibe in the air today; started with Miami Glow. However, it ended up feeling a bit wrong after all, so switched to Escale et Portofino,

Ralph Rocks over a slathering of TBS Coconut Body Butter.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Nicole Miller for Men for the first time, from a sample.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

Asha,

To me Kai (oil) smells like a very realistic live gardenia flower. It doesn't smell like lilac to me. Our local nursery carries potted gardenias and I broke down and bought one, once-- but I found them to be temperamental plants, reluctant to bloom. Still, you may want to check out your local nursery, maybe you'll be lucky and catch one in bloom!

Today I wore Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare. I've had it on for 11+ hours and it still smells great. This is a very linear scent but it's so good that I wouldn't want it to evolve.

Ooh, 30 Roses, I'm glad you chimed in! I'll have to keep that nursery idea in mind

SotE is something very easy--Ava Luxe Ambra Tibet.