Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Civet

Default Re: Civet

If real Civet absolute (from Robertet) were available in quantities starting at 5g / $24 would there be interest / demand from perfume DIY'ers here?

I've found that most civet absolute fails to live up to the subtleties found in the tincture. A better approach, and one in which there isn't a requirement for a large quantity, is the paste they sell at profumo.it. It's a simple matter to tincture of it. My tincture is very appealing.

Blog Entries

Today, I'm attempting to wear diluted Civetone. Wow. This has been rough...

Of course, it smells like poo. Sweet, aged poo, more like the ambient smell of a very old and unclean restroom, the kind of funk that sneaks up on you and takes a moment to register. But there's a lot more in there as well. That note I think of as "plastic doll musk" is very strong here, actually more so than the poo. It's also quite sweet, but a rubbery poop sweet that's really hard to describe but that experienced perfumistas will recognize. There's a big undertone of urine as well, so I can see how this is a big part of Kouros. In addition, it makes sense how lavender combined with this creates that "dirty plastic diaper" smell.

I really need to wash this off. It's disturbing in a way I'm really having trouble describing. If you walked into a hospital or a retirement home and it smelled like this, you'd be horrified and leave. It's not the smell of someone who's had an accident, but the smell of a horrifying place where many people have had many accidents over the course of decades and it's melted into the smell of the space. And the rubber/plastic just makes it weirder. I fully get how this provides balance to florals and I actually like civet in perfumes, but this is just horrifying on its own...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Today, I'm attempting to wear diluted Civetone. Wow. This has been rough...

Of course, it smells like poo. Sweet, aged poo, more like the ambient smell of a very old and unclean restroom, the kind of funk that sneaks up on you and takes a moment to register. But there's a lot more in there as well. That note I think of as "plastic doll musk" is very strong here, actually more so than the poo. It's also quite sweet, but a rubbery poop sweet that's really hard to describe but that experienced perfumistas will recognize. There's a big undertone of urine as well, so I can see how this is a big part of Kouros. In addition, it makes sense how lavender combined with this creates that "dirty plastic diaper" smell.

I really need to wash this off. It's disturbing in a way I'm really having trouble describing. If you walked into a hospital or a retirement home and it smelled like this, you'd be horrified and leave. It's not the smell of someone who's had an accident, but the smell of a horrifying place where many people have had many accidents over the course of decades and it's melted into the smell of the space. And the rubber/plastic just makes it weirder. I fully get how this provides balance to florals and I actually like civet in perfumes, but this is just horrifying on its own...
    I absolutely love this description!!! Isn't it fascinating how a single molecule can have so much rich olfactory complexity to the human nose? So cool.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Perry Ellis by Perry Ellis

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I absolutely love this description!!! Isn't it fascinating how a single molecule can have so much rich olfactory complexity to the human nose? So cool.
    Equally fascinating: how a post describing the extreme obnoxiousness of a scent can make me want to smell it.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Equally fascinating: how a post describing the extreme obnoxiousness of a scent can make me want to smell it.
    Yes! I'm very tempted to dig out my sample of civetone. Then I think about it. Do I really want to do this? Why?
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Perry Ellis by Perry Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by cybervoltage View Post
    I'm in total agreement with you. Straight-up tooth decay smell !
    I concur. I studied Ungaro II and it smelled like an old man; that is to say the stench that wafts from older men who have stopped taking care of their teeth as much and have dead organic waste stuck in between their teeth combined with halitosis. Smells like death.

I think one must think of civetone as unrelated to civet. Civetone has a funky, dirty aspect that long-tinctured civet lacks. The same is true for civet absolute. Only the tincture has the necessary characteristics.
    Mandy Aftel told me she's looking for a humane source of civet. I've had several requests from sellers in Ethiopia who swear their civet cats are raised humanely. My response is to ask for a picture of their farm; this has never been forthcoming.
    I bought 100 grams of civet paste from Profumo, years ago, when it was cheap, but soon realized that it's enough to make a ton of civet, even at 10%. I have well over a liter of tincture. Someday I may use it in a perfume, I don't know.

Hi rogalal and James,

I know you probably already said clearly, but could you let me know for certain that it was Firmenich civettone, the pure compound not a base, that you found to be like this?

Or was it something else, perhaps a Perfumer's Apprentice product sold as "civetone" which I think would have been at best mostly other things, or could it have been some base by that name rather than pure material?

Thank you!

EDIT: Until such time as replies, there has been discussion on the DIY forum on this exact point with a consensus that it almost must have been a base that was reported as having these bad notes, not pure civetone itself: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/466...nich-civettone
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 28th June 2019 at 06:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2