Code of Conduct

Thread: My Scents

Talking My Scents

Earlier this week I started making my own stuff. Well, not really 100% my own but still, I mixed it and testing it. The spray bottles arrived on monday and throughout the week I mixed fragrance oils with the Perfumer's Alcohol and so far I have 6 bottles.

The 1st bottle that I mixed was the Paris Hilton type oil. 2nd was Alien type oil. 3rd - Vanilla Lace Victoria's Secret Type. 4th - Rose oil. 5th - Midsummer Night Yankee Candle type and the last 6th one was a mix of Kouros type oil, Motor Oil and Rose Musk: I kinda like to call it Kourosene.

For the initial 2 days the bottles smelled with a heavy scent of alcohol but then I guess the oil molecules began to mix with the alcohol and on the 3rd day the scents in the bottles were more pleasant to the nose. The most pleasant of these scents is the Vanilla Lace, it smells very nice and I applied it on my arm before bed and when I woke up I could still smell it. I don't have any funds so I have to be my own test subject. The Alien type fragrance is different from original Mugler's Alien, but the oil is still smells good just different. The rose oil was a synthetic oil so there is a slight synthetic presence in the spray bottle but it has this vintage-classic vibe to it, but I like it. My Paris Hilton spray right now smells like these bootleg perfumes that you can find on the street tables of NYC, I am not happy about it. The Midsummer Night spray is very coffee-based, very masculine but it is love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing.

The Kourosene blend is very interesting because I wanted to try the Motor Oil for some time and I thought that mixing it with Kouros oil would be a good idea. When I mixed both of the oils the outcome was too strong, so I decided to add a fruity or a floral oil to diffuse the mixture. At the end I settled on floral oil, but the thing is that I do not have too many of them,so I decided to go with rose, but then figured that plain rose would be too strong and that the Rose Musk would be just right.

I mixed the ingredients in the EDP formula with 12-15ml of oils to around 48-50ml of alcohol and then added liquid dyes (1-3 drops per bottle).

I will later take pics of the bottles and post them.

Default Re: My Scents

Here is the pic of my stuff. I also made another Neroli-based mix with 10 oils.

[image]http://community.basenotes.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=660&d=1246327270[/image]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AlexPanzer; 30th June 2009 at 02:02 AM.

Wow…if those are glass bottles, they’re terrific! I’m curious why you added dyes to your perfumes though? Do you ever spray on clothing? That might be a problem if you do.

If I could make one suggestion; it sounds like you have blended these perfumes in the last couple weeks. I know it’s hard to wait, but I would let these blends mature for at a minimum of 3-4 weeks (preferably more) before you test to see if you are really satisfied with them. They really do morph over time. After you are completely satisfied with the accord, then add the alcohol and let mature for another few weeks. Otherwise, you might be in for a surprise in a few weeks when you smell some of your blends. They may be better, but they may also be worse, in which case, you would want to modify them a bit. Anyway, just a suggestion. It sounds like you’re really having fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    Wow…if those are glass bottles, they’re terrific! I’m curious why you added dyes to your perfumes though? Do you ever spray on clothing? That might be a problem if you do.

If I could make one suggestion; it sounds like you have blended these perfumes in the last couple weeks. I know it’s hard to wait, but I would let these blends mature for at a minimum of 3-4 weeks (preferably more) before you test to see if you are really satisfied with them. They really do morph over time. After you are completely satisfied with the accord, then add the alcohol and let mature for another few weeks. Otherwise, you might be in for a surprise in a few weeks when you smell some of your blends. They may be better, but they may also be worse, in which case, you would want to modify them a bit. Anyway, just a suggestion. It sounds like you’re really having fun!
    Yes, they are glass bottles. These frosted glass bottles were cheaper than the amber ones so I got them at the SKS Bottles. I added dyes so I could know which bottles contains what, I did not felt like labeling them. It is really difficult not to smell the bottles while they are in the morphing stage, but I try to stay away for them for right now.

Just made another bottle: chocolate musk.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPanzer View Post
    ... My Paris Hilton spray right now smells like these bootleg perfumes that you can find on the street tables of NYC, I am not happy about it. ...

Alex, dupes vary from house to house. You might try a different supplier for the frags you feel are "off" in any way until you find one that is right. Buy small sample sizes before investing in larger quantities until you find the one you like. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by aromagal View Post
    Alex, dupes vary from house to house. You might try a different supplier for the frags you feel are "off" in any way until you find one that is right. Buy small sample sizes before investing in larger quantities until you find the one you like. Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice, I will keep it in mind in the future. Do you know any other suppliers that offer quality oils and supplies? Because I am really hesitant about other suppliers who have low prices because I was burned on eBay a couple of times with weak oils.

Alex, sent you a PM with a list.

Just made the labels for the bottles earlier today:

If anyone want's samples then I am willing to provide them, to around 10 people, if they provide me a vial or a spraybottle and a SASE for postage. PM me if interested.